March 29, 2024, 06:40:20 AM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: Suuper's Artworks & Illustrations  (Read 307681 times)

Offline Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
  • Anyone need a wall of text?
    • View Profile
Re: Suuper's manga (+digital and 3D)
« Reply #1005 on: November 23, 2018, 04:50:44 AM »
yeah you totally start to loosen up due to not caring :P
and even afterwards you've managed to keep up that fearlessness? cool, hopefully that's the same with me :)
hopefully I'll finish today, only about 6 pages left.

I learnt to understand a lot of Japanese from watching anime, when I was watching 8-10 episodes a day during my college years. So probably I hit a low level of immersion to pick up phrases and words, which then helped to pick out more phrases and words. Wikipedia also helped a lot with grammar.

yeah next I'm thinking I'd like to do facial expressions, but I'm thinking I probably want to have the head shape down first, but drawing 1000 heads seems needlessly boring, so I might do 1000 faces with or without hair. after a few pages I sort of settle into a rhythm for each page so if I start randomly it'll work itself out.
Art: Illustrations / Fanart / Requests (closed) / Other Art | Manga Stories & Projects
Other Stuff: Tutorials / Craft / Cosplay | Feedback & Critique Welcome!

Offline devola

• View Profile
« Reply #1006 on: November 23, 2018, 05:08:18 AM »
Maybe it might be worth combining head shapes/angles and expressions? You'd probably have to reduce it to 100 instead of a 1000 though, at least I would. I absolutely love practicing expressions but I usually put quite a lot of time into each one that I do since I like to establish things like context to help flesh out the expressions. That's just for me though I often lose focus if I try to do more than like 5 drawings a day haha.

Offline Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1007 on: November 23, 2018, 05:19:53 AM »
100 is what I practically do normally in my sketch pages haha. the 1000 is a good high limit methinks. and considering a whole figure loosely sketched is probably the same as a slightly detailed head, I think it's about the same level. I lose focus quite easily so this is training my focus muscles too. good idea about combining the whole lot, that sort of slipped my mind. I've always got producing a manga as a goal in my head, so having a high output is a must really, regardless of how I'm feeling.

EDIT: finished yay. 1003 total. mixed stick figures and fleshed figures due to being confused :P

heres the final lot
Spoiler

and heres the whole lot for you hardcore scrollers out there.

Spoiler

As for what I learned:
-Coming up with different poses was not as difficult as I had thought it was for ages. Hopefully I can keep being this creative. probably put in the situation of having to come up with so many poses enabled me to push past that limit.
-I don't know proportions. but that doesn't stop you from coming up with poses, in fact, its probably good for improving your proportions because you are working form lots of angles.
-Pushing a skill to the point where you are fed up of it puts your brain into efficiency mode to try and finish as quickly as possible, so you start to streamline your process.
-trying to produce a large range as possible means you push your creativity and come up with stuff that you might not usually if you were only doing say 10 poses.
-I went though different stanges and moods, in which I used different sketching techniques and guideline styles. they all produces different styles of drawings, so it's good to have more than one way to draw something.
-although it started as stick figures, I realized what I needed and changed my challenge. I don't really think that's cheating although I would really like to not do it all the time, otherwise it sort of isn't a challenge.
-I should had added more props and stuff, rather than just the poses, to get the feel for it more. although I had stuff in mind like swords and guns I didnt draw them in. So although I was only studying the poses, giving a bit more context and going off tangent every now and then wouldn't be so bad.
-I'm definitely drawing from the body first and head after from now on, have to practice attaching it to the shoulders properly, which I found rather difficult due to not being used to it.

on to 1000 heads/expressions lol
« Last Edit: November 23, 2018, 10:34:06 AM by suuper-san »
Art: Illustrations / Fanart / Requests (closed) / Other Art | Manga Stories & Projects

Offline Coryn

• Director of the MR Science Division
  • Global Moderator
  • Secretly a 13 year old girl.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1008 on: November 23, 2018, 10:41:37 AM »
Great job Suuper! You guys will your numbered sketches, I swear, that's some commitment!

@Lego: Picking up some Japanese is definitely part of the magic of subs. Every once in a while I'll wander away from the TV while a show in on, and then not realize I can't understand what they're saying until a couple of lines later. I'm not good with actual sentences, but it's definitely helped me pick up a lot of the more common expressions. (Tabune...)

I'm surprised you haven't given it more of a shot yourself Lego, given that you already speak a handful of languages, I'd think your brain would be better suited to picking it up than a plebe like me who only knows English really.

Will review stories upon request. My latest arc: http://goo.gl/KYgsfF

Offline Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1009 on: November 24, 2018, 04:20:21 AM »
haha well it seems to help the skill a bit :)
yeah the word order makes it inherently hard to deal with whole sentences, but yeah Lego give it a shot! You already know a whole bunch of words which is the first step :)

Offline legomaestro

• High Chancellor of Righteousness
  • Global Moderator
  • real life has wack graphics
    • View Profile
« Reply #1010 on: November 24, 2018, 08:07:21 AM »
I had a japanese scrap-paper to record some phrases and it was working out well when i was paying attention so it'd be fun I guess. And it'd help bridge this god-awful backlog I've managed to find myself in.

That being said: Congrats suuper! Gotta say even though you say you can't proportion quite yet the uniformity and wholeness of each of your figures is truly great. I think your method may be better than mine of making all sorts of figures because you have a safe base from which you can exagerrate from easier. I'll be interested to see how drawing crowds turns out for us later down the line when we do manga.

And gotta love scrolling. I'm sure you already experience this a bit with how well you catalogue your drawing efforts: But there's something therapeautic about that pile of papers of 1,000-somethings that make you feel a tiny bit of pride even on a bad day. You can say to yourself 'whatever ish is going down in my life, at least I know I can put effort into something of my own volition.' Doesn't make you smile, exactly, but it's something.

And yes, yes, yes on all your remarks.
-Pushing a skill to the point where you are fed up of it puts your brain into efficiency mode to try and finish as quickly as possible, so you start to streamline your process.

This is a painful one, but true. You get mind-numbingly bored of it all and just want to get it over with as we both noticed. Helps in making you 'cheat' to get faster.

-trying to produce a large range as possible means you push your creativity and come up with stuff that you might not usually if you were only doing say 10 poses.

Also a painful one. I've done a lot of 'Draw 5 of this' workshops and they are fun, but they fade away too quickly for memory. I think they're more useful as teasers for possible things to work on in your art, or for people who are already drawing regularly and just want to switch up their routine a little. For someone like me who rarely does anything I need regimens to learn at all.

-I went though different stanges and moods, in which I used different sketching techniques and guideline styles. they all produces different styles of drawings, so it's good to have more than one way to draw something.

Yeaup. Esp. on the mood bit. You'd think it'd either always be a zen-like thing with neatly spaced out and exact emotional states but it can be pretty interestnig how different the days are and how your pen flows.

Congrats again, suuper. And I'm looking forward to the expressions for sure. My characters need more of those haha. Also props are super important.

Offline Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1011 on: November 24, 2018, 08:42:29 AM »
thanks, yeah it is quite satisfying. I did 14/68 pages on paper, would have liked to do a bit more traditional but I'll work on that. also my files on my computer were very nicely similar.
Normally my files on my PC look like this:
Spoiler

During the challenge it was like this
Spoiler

Helps in making you 'cheat' to get faster.
If necessity is the mother of all invention, laziness is the father. It totally feels like cheating somehow. perhaps this IS one of the shortcuts to better art - bettering one skill to the max before everything else......
sort of like learning a ton of vocabulary before learning the grammar to a language......

I've done a lot of 'Draw 5 of this' workshops and they are fun, but they fade away too quickly for memory.
Yeah I totally agree on this. while I haven't done many of the workshops, in my normal pages I would say okay I'll do props on this page, and do 15 or so, but yeah because you haven't dug around in your mind, you haven't grown, you've just drawn in your own capability that you already had.

I noticed my proportions shift from beginning to end. I started off trying for mature female body type, with larger hips, thinner waist, larger breasts, longer legs. but about the 500 point they kept becoming stockier with shorter legs. Gotta watch out for bad habits when you're tired or near the end of the stretch.

haha crowds, huh. I think you'd do better because you can make them so unique, mine usually end up being a variation of something generic. 1000 crowd shots, anyone?

I'll probably take 300-400 of the good poses and sharpen them up to put in my reference book. that'll take a while :P
It's totally a diary at this point XD

I'm looking forward to doing 1000 props, lemme just add that to my list :P

Offline MahluaandMilk

• MagicKal#6370 / Fanservice with Legs
  • Resident Witchipedia
    • View Profile
« Reply #1012 on: November 24, 2018, 12:16:30 PM »
yeah you totally start to loosen up due to not caring :P

Y'know, I discovered that last night as I went through a whole sketch page just messing around. Somehow I'm pleased with everything that's on it. It came much more naturally than I was expecting (especially since it's been a hot minute since I last drew anything), and despite my lack of direct attention, things fell into place. There was one spot I was having trouble with, but instead of stressing, I gave the character long wrinkly sleeves that were like, sliding down that arm to cover for the funky elbow placement, and even if it is just a cover, it still looks more natural.
Haha signature go brr.

Offline Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1013 on: November 25, 2018, 06:31:09 AM »
thats good to hear. yeah, even if it is a coverup, doing it well is still a skill in my books :)

Offline Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1014 on: November 28, 2018, 12:10:23 PM »
finally managed to draw something. Not sure if being ill has slowed me down or I just felt empty after finishing the 1000 figures.

anywho, here goes for 1000 faces/expressions. I'm not sure what sort of rules I'm setting for this one, so I'm just going to play around with  expressions and head shapes and eyes and stuff to see what I can do, and try and get a nice style going I guess. took an hour and a half to do all this, which isn't so bad :)

120/1000
feedback is appreciated, although I'm not sort of focusing on anything so anything bad might just be something I drew without caring. Hair is the only thing I'm definitely not working on, although I'm trying to keep a variety of hair styles.

Spoiler

Offline legomaestro

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1015 on: November 29, 2018, 04:39:06 PM »
I call it 'spinning' Like you're cruising on your BMX or skateboard on the halfpipe doing those 1,000 regimens and jumping from rail to rail but then you're free and out of that zone and don't know which trick to do next or how to keep the momentum so you just spin your wheels not really getting anywhere.

Or something.

Dude 120 in the first push, that's awesome! I was looking for the really openly happy expressions - those are my favourite and seem to be far and few in between. Lot's of sad looking ones (in a good way) and the kawaii works. First page had some great hairstyles actually.

Here's to moar!

Offline L.K. [Taikichi]

• The Cel Shader
    • View Profile
« Reply #1016 on: November 29, 2018, 05:47:55 PM »
There's a lot to look at and a lot of good things happening there. I've seen a lot when you do these sets there is wild variation between similar drawings where one looks really good and one looks really bad and then lots in between.

When it comes to drawing this shows that you don't have proper guidelines in your under-drawing. When I was a beginner I had a lot of trouble drawing the same thing twice, so I never tried it until I learned about proportions. For now I would say let the guidelines handle anatomy for you, and then anatomy will eventually come naturally to you.

I noticed you seem to struggle with drawing the head at peculiar angles and in profile. My advice would be to play close attention to real photographs of heads in profile and draw from them.

You have to understand what manga style does to a real person before you can apply this style to peculiar angles. The eyes are pulled down and scaled taking space away from the cheeks and only the cheeks (do not take space away from the forehead, not saying you have done that, just keep that in mind), the chin is sharper and the neck is smaller. Everything else is the same. To make a character look younger you can make the head larger.

Now you've got me interested in doing a larger tutorial on portraits to cover this stuff visually because there's a lot of interesting things happening here.

Offline Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1017 on: November 30, 2018, 02:55:46 AM »
@Lego yeah I think I would call that freewheeling. Actually glad you found it hard to find the happy expressions, as in this batch I was trying to go for the negative expressions more, since I ALWAYS draw my character with a smile I was trying to get out of the rut. yeah after the first page of hairstyles I sort of just couldn't be bothered to think of a hair style anymore so just generic'ed it :P

@Kesashi curiously enough the wild variations is exactly because I am varying my guidelines and exploring different construction methods and face shapes. I do indeed struggle with anything other than full-front  angle, so hopefully I'll be able to sharpen up some guidelines for those angles. thanks for the help with the styling off a real face, I'll try and put some real face studies in the mix as well while I'm learning.

I often see artists draw face shapes and I find it hard to imagine the rest of the head (as if they were bald), it often seems unrealistic and the hair is just "fixing" that problem, so I'm sort of looking to find a style that I accept as "realistic" but also manga and stylized.

I do still struggle to draw faces exactly the same, but I can get closer if I try:
Spoiler

PS 4000th post ftw yay me :P

PPS forgot to say what I was doing recently
here's some icons that I made for my programs that I'm always programming. kinda rubbish but it gets me off that default icon and its mixing my two hobbies so yay all round
I actually made the icons in Microsoft Word using the shapes tools haha.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2018, 12:05:20 PM by suuper-san »

Offline legomaestro

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1018 on: November 30, 2018, 02:32:43 PM »
Those are some pretty icon-y looking icons there. Almost makes me feel like its an old computer system. Very office like.

Congrats for hitting 4,000! 

Offline a

• Does the censor work here? *censored*, *censored*? Ok?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1019 on: November 30, 2018, 05:57:39 PM »
-removed-
« Last Edit: August 21, 2020, 01:37:43 AM by The SlamJam »