April 18, 2024, 10:54:34 PM

------------------------------------------

PLZ READ THIS ALL ACTIVE MEMBERS

CLICK Here.

Author Topic: Suuper's Artworks & Illustrations  (Read 310709 times)

Offline Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
  • Anyone need a wall of text?
    • View Profile
Re: Suuper's manga (+digital and 3D)
« Reply #855 on: August 10, 2018, 10:39:49 AM »
thanks!

well after 3.5 hours total I finished it, making it one of my longest ever pieces. I seriously cannot shade and mostly guessed where shade went, which made it weird, and also my shading method is also pretty poor, so seriously highlighted some of my biggest problems, which was great.

also seriously how do you do shadows????

maybe you should consider CD one day
whats CD? Character Design?
If so then that's totally on my to do list :P
« Last Edit: August 10, 2018, 10:50:49 AM by suupertramp »
Art: Illustrations / Fanart / Requests (closed) / Other Art | Manga Stories & Projects
Other Stuff: Tutorials / Craft / Cosplay | Feedback & Critique Welcome!

Offline Nomena :)

• View Profile
« Reply #856 on: August 10, 2018, 12:14:34 PM »
also seriously how do you do shadows????

Well, it looks pretty decent to me :). Though I am not sure if the shadows of his boots or cane(?) go in that direction ... considering the whole piece I'd say that light come from the front ... so I'd advice to always keep in mind the location of the light source ... and you could probably try darker values to make the shadows pot out depending on how strong the light source is.

Offline Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #857 on: August 10, 2018, 12:51:16 PM »
thanks for the tip. I completely forgot about light direction! (You can tell how much I do shading!!)
I also forgot a bit of backlighting which I just remembered :P
yes it is a cane, maybe?
Art: Illustrations / Fanart / Requests (closed) / Other Art | Manga Stories & Projects

Offline Coryn

• Director of the MR Science Division
  • Global Moderator
  • Secretly a 13 year old girl.
    • View Profile
« Reply #858 on: August 10, 2018, 01:41:24 PM »
It definitely looks like it could turn into one shot rifle in a pinch.

Will review stories upon request. My latest arc: http://goo.gl/KYgsfF

Offline Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #859 on: August 11, 2018, 01:58:28 AM »
@coryn let's say that it can then :P

forgot to upload my sketches with the excitement of yesterday. just gestures and stuff, nothing original or amazing T_T

Spoiler

Offline Walter B

• View Profile
« Reply #860 on: August 11, 2018, 03:12:37 AM »
Great sketch dump. Feet look good!

Facebook       Patreon

Offline Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #861 on: August 11, 2018, 05:10:49 PM »
@WalterB thanks! I've started skipping drawing the feet again in my full body sketches so I need to practice them more!!!

I included the step by step animation for my previous drawing. I love these when others make them and hopefully it might give you guys some inspiration.

Spoiler

Offline Echo_River

• Mild Observer
  • Need Chips
    • View Profile
« Reply #862 on: August 12, 2018, 07:58:09 PM »
Nice process! These are always interesting to look at. I like the steps from sketch to lineart. Getting past the sketch part is hard for me in digital probably because I can't feel it out like I do on paper. This is proof it can be conquered! I - must - persevere XD

Your sketches are looking good too! Dem necks
No one is perfect . . . that's why there's erasers and extra paper.
DA: http://neysun.deviantart.com
IG: https://www.instagram.com/neysun_hao/
SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/noteriddler

Offline Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #863 on: August 13, 2018, 06:06:09 AM »
@echo thanks! I've noticed that if I "have" to do a piece, such as a commission or request, I find it easier to break through that barrier of a rubbish first sketch. a few iterations down the line and you would never have thought how bad the first one was in comparison. A way I am starting to think of it is: (haven't decided on a final phrase)

-you can't improve what isnt there, so get anything down on paper.
-it's easier to tell whats wrong and improve it than to draw it right first time.
-not drawing something (because you think you cant) is basically giving up on a chance to learn how to do it right

Funny, I would have thought paper would have been harder because you can't work in layers......hmmmmmm. what do you mean by "feeling it out". like the way you sketch? I draw almost identically on paper and digital (which is partly why I failed for so long), so I personally don't feel much of a difference generally.

but regardless of the problem, it can be conquered!! that's the spirit!!!

Offline Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #864 on: August 13, 2018, 04:43:25 PM »
All of my work from today. Had a late start as I overslept but made the best of the time remaining :P

copied

original

I also included the step by step animations of the two requests I have done on my Request Thread, which is still open!!

Spoiler

edit: just redrew this old sketch. hands and proportions are probably off :P

« Last Edit: August 13, 2018, 06:39:29 PM by suupertramp »

Offline Echo_River

• Mild Observer
  • Need Chips
    • View Profile
« Reply #865 on: August 13, 2018, 10:08:45 PM »
Cute girl XD I like how you did the hair and the shine.

-you can't improve what isnt there, so get anything down on paper.
-it's easier to tell whats wrong and improve it than to draw it right first time.
-not drawing something (because you think you cant) is basically giving up on a chance to learn how to do it right

I like your points there, the third one especially hits home. I know I tend to shy away from drawing ideas because of that exact reason I think I can't do it, but that's a good argument for getting past the mentality.

Funny, I would have thought paper would have been harder because you can't work in layers......hmmmmmm. what do you mean by "feeling it out". like the way you sketch? I draw almost identically on paper and digital (which is partly why I failed for so long), so I personally don't feel much of a difference generally.

I actually got a tablet because I wanted to have layers haha.
Mmm, for me "feeling it out" has to do with how I interact with the paper. I'm right on top of my lines, I have a better idea of where to guide them, and I know my paper boundaries. With the tablet I feel like I'm guessing where the lines go or I misjudge the canvas size and the tablet surface feels really slippery!  :confused: Might be just things I have to get used to with more use though.

Layers and undo buttons and colouring are awesome to have though.
No one is perfect . . . that's why there's erasers and extra paper.
DA: http://neysun.deviantart.com
IG: https://www.instagram.com/neysun_hao/
SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/noteriddler

Offline Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #866 on: August 14, 2018, 05:43:48 AM »
thanks! I'm working to improve how I make the hair shine at the moment. There are a few methods I'm trying out on older sketches as I redo them.

yeah I used to avoid drawing certain things for ages, even now I tend to not draw hands and feet on my characters. I find that just doing an A4 gesture page or two of whatever is the problem will help to get over the feeling that you can't do something.

I totally get you on those problems!!!!!
the smoothness is something you do get used to eventually, although you can get more rougher nibs for your pens, or some people put a sheet of paper over their graphics tablet to get more friction. I do have different nibs but they all feel the same to me ¯\_(0_0)_/¯
If you zoom in more when doing final details, you will find that you have more control because your movements can be larger.
as for dealing with the canvas size (especially for final pieces), I took four years to get used to that because I was being an idiot. Thanks to my increased efforts lately I finally got the hang of it like 2 weeks ago. Basically I have almost always sketched at the same zoom for my random pages like this one

So you start to get used to what you can fit. Once I start an individual sketch, I very rarely move out of that screen so I know what what I am drawing will fit. I often glance around to see how much space I have underneath or to the side so I can sort of plan my next sketch as well. for a final piece style sketch, I do a really loose sketch like the ones in my step my step, as large as I can, often while I can see both the top and bottom of my canvas. I then either rescale the layer immediately, or do an over sketch or two and rescale all layers to the correct size to suit the canvas.
I used to do this a lot, where I finished the sketch as it was on the page

but that means you don't know what your final image size is, and choosing brush sizes will not be as natural etc. And if it turns out really good, the resolution is lower than your normal stuff. So I really recommend if you "happen to do a sketch that you want to finish", copy it to a new page of the same dimensions that you always work in, and rescale it to fit. I use either A3 or A4 @300dpi so I always know what to expect when I draw. Or if you start out to do a finished drawing, work at really low zoom to start off with the balance everything out but no details, then zoom in and you follow your previously laid guidelines. Then you know everything will fit.

hope that gives you a bit of a direction to go in.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2018, 05:48:16 AM by suupertramp »

Offline anmonia

• 17 yo frenchie
    • View Profile
« Reply #867 on: August 14, 2018, 01:06:19 PM »
Hi! omg the first thing I thought when I see your art is woah!!! what an improvement since 2011! great job! you're working a lot on your art that's very inspirable
if I can just advise you a thing here: for the colors, do not hesitate to play with the color filters, it can give very interesting things! always having the same color palette can become boring, do not hesitate to have fun changing!
look forward to seeing more of your art!

Offline Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #868 on: August 14, 2018, 05:35:59 PM »
@anmonia thanks! yeah whenever I feel down I look back and realize how much I have improved. Practice and time does pay off! Thanks for the tip about colours and pallettes, I will try and go for more daring combinations!

felt too bad today to do requests, but heres some doodles:

Spoiler

and a goodish redraw. took 40 minutes on this one as I was trying to work quicky to see what would happen. tried a slightly different rendering on the hair, which is a bit difficult to see in this one anyway.

heres the old sketch to compare by the way. just goes to show what a bit of time and effort can do for quality.

Spoiler

« Last Edit: August 14, 2018, 05:41:48 PM by suupertramp »

Offline Coryn

• Director of the MR Science Division
  • Global Moderator
  • Secretly a 13 year old girl.
    • View Profile
« Reply #869 on: August 14, 2018, 08:40:36 PM »
Yeah, there's definitely a nubbiness to the hands that you overcame.

Will review stories upon request. My latest arc: http://goo.gl/KYgsfF