August 16, 2018, 05:46:03 AM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: Suuper's manga (+digital and 3D)  (Read 45734 times)

Offline suupertramp

• Anyone need a wall of text?
    • View Profile
Re: Suuper's manga (+digital and 3D)
« Reply #855 on: August 09, 2018, 05:29:17 PM »
@oviumnoir many thanks :) true I hardly ever finish my work, partly because I have never felt that I was able to give it the quality that I wanted. I seen to have hit level 1 for finishing artworks now, I have gained quite a bit of confidence. as you say, its just practice and perseverance :P

latest: I hardly ever post WIPs, but this has taken 2 hours so far. a request from a friend. theme: "Young male steampunk revolutionary leader". Sounds random enough ,right?
some colours are placeholders while I outlined the shapes, don't know which ones I will change, though.

had to go through 3 sketch layers to add the detail up.

EDIT: was so excited about the WIP I forgot to post the rest of my work lol

just copies:
Spoiler

my own
Spoiler

and trying our a new hair style. let me know what you think of the hair, or anything for that matter.

For those wondering, I didnt trim this image to make it SFW, thats all I actually drew lol
« Last Edit: August 09, 2018, 06:26:39 PM by suupertramp »

Offline Coryn

• Director of the MR Science Division
  • Global Moderator
  • Secretly a 13 year old girl.
    • View Profile
« Reply #856 on: August 09, 2018, 10:44:54 PM »
I don't know man. I kinda like his color palette. Feels very 'of the time' as it were.

The hair looks pretty good! Like it has a real coarse texture to it. There's a lot of detail, which feels like it will all get lost unless it's a close up like this?

Will review stories upon request. My latest arc: http://goo.gl/KYgsfF

Offline suupertramp

• View Profile
« Reply #857 on: August 10, 2018, 01:49:04 AM »
well I randomly picked the colours based on that sort of olden feel, but they were still random nonetheless. I can change them at any time so a late re-think won't hurt me, but I do kinda like it. maybe just making them darker or lighter might make the difference.

yes, I also noticed how useless the hair becomes at low zoom, maybe thats an issue I have to solve, or its a limit of this style. we shall see :)
I used one of those dotty brushes that adds lots of lines with one brush stroke. gradually lowered the size when adding shade and highlights. first time ever using that sort of brush, or almost brushes at all for that matter.

Offline OviumNoir

• Power comes in response to a need, not a desire.
    • View Profile
« Reply #858 on: August 10, 2018, 06:10:07 AM »
@oviumnoir many thanks :) true I hardly ever finish my work, partly because I have never felt that I was able to give it the quality that I wanted. I seen to have hit level 1 for finishing artworks now, I have gained quite a bit of confidence. as you say, its just practice and perseverance :P

latest: I hardly ever post WIPs, but this has taken 2 hours so far. a request from a friend. theme: "Young male steampunk revolutionary leader". Sounds random enough ,right?
some colours are placeholders while I outlined the shapes, don't know which ones I will change, though.

had to go through 3 sketch layers to add the detail up.

EDIT: was so excited about the WIP I forgot to post the rest of my work lol

just copies:
Spoiler

my own
Spoiler

and trying our a new hair style. let me know what you think of the hair, or anything for that matter.

For those wondering, I didnt trim this image to make it SFW, thats all I actually drew lol

I agree with Coryn's take. I do love these finished pieces/WIP indeed, love the concept design behind your character and the weaponry, maybe you should consider CD one day, some real nicec clean work from you Suuper. Good to know you're doing what seems to be commission work? Even if non-paid it's good you're getting into the habit. Let us know how this Steampunk kid WIP goes ;)
When you TALK, you are only repeating what you already know - but if you LISTEN, you may learn something new.

Offline suupertramp

• View Profile
« Reply #859 on: August 10, 2018, 07:23:18 AM »
Yeah its part of my getting into commissions. I feel unconfident in my ability to produce a range of pieces since I always draw girls with similar clothes, and so I feel not able to do paid comissions, so I'm doing free ones for practice. I'm actually going to go through the old "get your character drawn" thread on MR and do as many as I can for practice. then I might feel confident at selling my skills. I'm hoping to clear this stage near the end of September or October, so setting up prices before the end of 2018.

I wasn't actually sure if it was meant to be a weapon or not, since it lacks a trigger. it was more of a cane that went steam punk, and halfway through drawing it I was kinda like hey this is a cool gun :P
often my best designs of stuff happen when I design something completely unrelated and think, oh hey this looks kinda like a cool gun/building/outfit.

PS OviumNoir did you know you can delete quotes to just the bit you want once you insert it? then you can just quote the picture you are talking about, or respond to just one phrase, without bringing everything up again :) just wondering haha

Offline Walter B

• The Red Tie Devil
    • View Profile
« Reply #860 on: August 10, 2018, 08:16:35 AM »
Thats some fantastic looking hair, and skin shading. That steampunk characters looks awesome too!!

Facebook       Patreon

Offline suupertramp

• View Profile
« Reply #861 on: August 10, 2018, 10:39:49 AM »
thanks!

well after 3.5 hours total I finished it, making it one of my longest ever pieces. I seriously cannot shade and mostly guessed where shade went, which made it weird, and also my shading method is also pretty poor, so seriously highlighted some of my biggest problems, which was great.

also seriously how do you do shadows????

maybe you should consider CD one day
whats CD? Character Design?
If so then that's totally on my to do list :P
« Last Edit: August 10, 2018, 10:50:49 AM by suupertramp »

Offline Boosted Nomena :)

• Symmetry lover
  • Please don't PM me for Free Commission requests
    • View Profile
« Reply #862 on: August 10, 2018, 12:14:34 PM »
also seriously how do you do shadows????

Well, it looks pretty decent to me :). Though I am not sure if the shadows of his boots or cane(?) go in that direction ... considering the whole piece I'd say that light come from the front ... so I'd advice to always keep in mind the location of the light source ... and you could probably try darker values to make the shadows pot out depending on how strong the light source is.
Cheers,
How about some violin :)
https://youtu.be/_u2pb6bj63s

Offline suupertramp

• View Profile
« Reply #863 on: August 10, 2018, 12:51:16 PM »
thanks for the tip. I completely forgot about light direction! (You can tell how much I do shading!!)
I also forgot a bit of backlighting which I just remembered :P
yes it is a cane, maybe?

Offline Coryn

• Director of the MR Science Division
  • Global Moderator
  • Secretly a 13 year old girl.
    • View Profile
« Reply #864 on: August 10, 2018, 01:41:24 PM »
It definitely looks like it could turn into one shot rifle in a pinch.

Will review stories upon request. My latest arc: http://goo.gl/KYgsfF

Offline suupertramp

• View Profile
« Reply #865 on: August 11, 2018, 01:58:28 AM »
@coryn let's say that it can then :P

forgot to upload my sketches with the excitement of yesterday. just gestures and stuff, nothing original or amazing T_T

Spoiler

Offline Walter B

• The Red Tie Devil
    • View Profile
« Reply #866 on: August 11, 2018, 03:12:37 AM »
Great sketch dump. Feet look good!

Facebook       Patreon

Offline suupertramp

• View Profile
« Reply #867 on: August 11, 2018, 05:10:49 PM »
@WalterB thanks! I've started skipping drawing the feet again in my full body sketches so I need to practice them more!!!

I included the step by step animation for my previous drawing. I love these when others make them and hopefully it might give you guys some inspiration.

Spoiler

Offline Echo_River

• Mild Observer
  • Chau-chau!
    • View Profile
« Reply #868 on: August 12, 2018, 07:58:09 PM »
Nice process! These are always interesting to look at. I like the steps from sketch to lineart. Getting past the sketch part is hard for me in digital probably because I can't feel it out like I do on paper. This is proof it can be conquered! I - must - persevere XD

Your sketches are looking good too! Dem necks
No one is perfect . . . that's why there's erasers and extra paper.

DA: http://neysun.deviantart.com
IG: https://www.instagram.com/neysun_hao/

Offline suupertramp

• View Profile
« Reply #869 on: August 13, 2018, 06:06:09 AM »
@echo thanks! I've noticed that if I "have" to do a piece, such as a commission or request, I find it easier to break through that barrier of a rubbish first sketch. a few iterations down the line and you would never have thought how bad the first one was in comparison. A way I am starting to think of it is: (haven't decided on a final phrase)

-you can't improve what isnt there, so get anything down on paper.
-it's easier to tell whats wrong and improve it than to draw it right first time.
-not drawing something (because you think you cant) is basically giving up on a chance to learn how to do it right

Funny, I would have thought paper would have been harder because you can't work in layers......hmmmmmm. what do you mean by "feeling it out". like the way you sketch? I draw almost identically on paper and digital (which is partly why I failed for so long), so I personally don't feel much of a difference generally.

but regardless of the problem, it can be conquered!! that's the spirit!!!