October 17, 2018, 11:54:32 AM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: Life at Sea  (Read 16708 times)

Offline Coryn

• Director of the MR Science Division
  • Global Moderator
  • Secretly a 13 year old girl.
    • View Profile
Life at Sea
« on: June 23, 2011, 04:48:15 PM »
been in a bit of a writing rut recently. so i figure why not do another MR based story. is anyone feeling a little, piratey?

Yo Ho Ho

Aero’s eyes slowly blinked open. Immediately he realized things were off. He was laying

in a hammock that was slowly swaying back and forth. Directly above him was an equally

ragged hammock with a dark figure lying in it. The next thing he picked up on was the fact he

was fully clothed. Feeling around in the dim-light he could tell that he was wearing tall leather

boots, with a rough pair of pants and shirt made of wool. Above that was a vest and on his head

was a bandana tied like a do-rag. Now quite alarmed he twisted around and crashed to the floor.

What he landed on was wooden and moist, but heavily worn. Listening carefully he could hear

the crashing of waves. Jumping back up, Aero investigated the sleeper who had been above him.

Gently pulling the blanket out of the way the form was revealed to be Oran. He was dressed just

as oddly as Aero and still sound asleep. Thoroughly confused, Aero started shaking him back

and forth. “Oran! Oran wake the hell up!”

“But mooooommm! I don’t want to go to school…”

“THIS ISN’T THE TIME TO BE CLICHÉ!!!” Aero shook him so hard that Oran rolled from the

cot and landed on the floor much as Aero had just done. Shooting back to his feet Oran did his

best to get his head around the situation. “What happened to by bed room?!”

“Actually I think we’re on a ship.”

“Why is there a ship in my bedroom?”

“WE’RE NOT IN YOUR BEDROOM!”

“Oh…well that explains a lot actually.”

Looking around the two located two more cots, in which slept Monster and Lego. After

waking them up as well the four gathered in the center of the hold and took in their surroundings.

All around were barrels and crates of supplies, multiple wooden beams running above their

heads, and supporting pillars filled the room. Not far away was a wooden staircase that led up to

a small slatted door in the ceiling, from which sunlight poured in. After a few moments of

awkward silence Lego started speaking. “Sooo… Anybody thinking about heading up those

stairs?” Monster replied. “Somehow I don’t think that would be good for our health.”

“What gives you that idea?”

“What doesn’t? It’s not like absolutely every time something happens to us it doesn’t involve

killing ninjas or zombies or something ridiculous and dangerous or anything.”

“Good  point.”

“Though yes I agree with you we should see what’s up there.” Aero cut in. “Then I propose a

vote. And I vote that the newest member has to do it.” Monster quickly seconded and Lego

agreed as well. Looking up all Oran could manage was: “I *censored*ing hate you guys.” Aero started

pushing him towards the stairs. “Good for you. Now get up there.”

Reluctantly Oran made his way up the stairs. Hesitating for a moment at the top he

slowly pushed open the hatch but quickly covered up his head and ducked down. Opening one

eye he looked up through the opening. All that could be seen was a section of blue sky and a

large, white sail. Signaling to the others that the way was clear, all four carefully made their way

up the stairs. Soon they found themselves standing on the deck of an 18th century sailing ship.

Near a dozen cannon lined the edges of the deck and the ship was surrounded on all sides by

clear, blue ocean. “Yo ho, yo ho, a pirate’s life for me...” The soft singing had come from behind

them. Spinning at once they looked up towards the quarterdeck. Standing there with his hands on

the wheel was Coryn. He wore a large captain’s coat which was dark blue in color. Across his

chest and under the coat were two leather belts that had at least six flintlock pistols attached to

them each. On his head was a silk bandana that was fastened in the same manner as Aero’s, from

under which his long blonde hair protruded, with bangs also protruding in between his eyes. At

his side he wore what appeared to be a finely crafted rapier and there was also a large, golden,

hoop earring hung from his left ear.  He two wore his pants tucked into tall leather boots but unlike

those of the rest of the crew his were well treated and looked to be in much better shape for it.

Looking down at the four, Coryn’s singing trailed off. Releasing the wheel his descended

the stairs that led to the main deck. “You four have got to be the worst crew I’ve ever had. This late

and still in bed.” Suddenly their reality sunk in all at once. They had just been shanghaied, and by Coryn

of all people. Aero spoke up. “Crew? You’ve got to be kidding me. I don’t know anything about being

a sailor!”

“Well good!” Aero wasn’t quite sure how to respond. Monster stepped in for him. “What do you

mean good?”

“Is it not obvious to you four yet? It’s cause we’re not sailors, we’re pirates.”

“Pirates?”

“Yeah, you know like: AAAAAARRRRRR!!!” Lego spoke. “I think he was meaning more like;

‘Why are we pirates exactly?’” Coryn chuckled and started making his way back towards the

stairs. “Because we’re mangaRAIDERS!” Spinning back around he leaned on the banister. “That

never stopped being a thing or anything you know.”

“I don’t get it.”

“Let me spell it out for you then. As we are raiders it is our job to actually raid things. Therefore

we are on a mission to raid a very, very important chest located on an island that just happens to

be surrounded by all sorts of wrecked ships, guarded by booby traps of the most malicious

design, something about magical barriers or something I didn’t listen too well to that part, oh,

and Sai’s trying kill us. Savvy?” Oran pushed his way up from the back of the group. “Why is

Sai trying to kill us exactly?”

“Because he’s trying to get to the treasure first. I thought it was obvious.” Coryn walked towards

his crew once more. “But as long as we get to the treasure first. You shouldn’t have anything to

worry about yes?” Aero broke out of his stupor. “This is by far the most ridiculous thing I’ve

ever heard come out of your mouth.” Without a word Coryn reached out and poked him in the

chest. Aero suddenly lost his balance and landed flat on his back. Looking down on him Coryn

remarked to nobody in particular. “Really they need to stop sending me people who haven’t got

their sea legs yet.” Coryn started walking off again but Aero propped himself up on his elbows to

yell at him. “Firstly; you’re crazy mate! And secondly; how are we supposed to crew this whole

ship with only five people?!”

“Six.”

“Six?”

“You’re forgetting my first mate.”

Suddenly a cannonball shot down from above them and smashed into the planks only

inches away from Aero’s manhood, embedding itself in the wood. Looking up Aero spotted

another figure high up in the rigging. She was sitting on a small wooden platform and wore a

coat much like Coryn’s albeit dark green and shorter. Her face was shadowed by the wide

brimmed hat she wore that had a large, droopy feather stuck into it. Sitting with her knees bent

she was sketching in a notebook that she had set against them. She had numerous knives

strapped to her as well with more likely hidden within the layers of clothing. Peering over the

side the sun hit Doodle’s face as she smiled. “Oh good. I didn’t hit anywhere delicate.” Aero

wanted to yell at her but couldn’t tell if she had anything else up there with her.

Meanwhile Coryn had made his way back to the wheel and looked back down at the crew

and addressed them with vigor. “TIGHTEN THE MAIN SALE AND MAN THE CROW’S

NEST! FOR GOD’S SAKE SOMEBODY CLEAN THE GUNWHALES AND AERO FIX

THAT HOLE! WELCOME TO THE CAESAR’S DESTINY LADS!” Coryn quickly drew his

rapier and pointed it towards the bow of the ship. “NEXT STOP: MERCURY BAY!” Monster,

Oran, and Lego all rushed off to do what they thought was correct. Aero continued to sit on deck

however as he began to mouth the words: “What hole?” But was quickly cut short as the planks

beneath him split and gave way from the impact of the cannonball, sending him into the darkness

of the hold.

Also i'm going to be systematically *censored*ing with all of you with this story. So no i'm not just picking on aero.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2011, 08:26:08 PM by Coryn Sken »

Will review stories upon request. My latest arc: http://goo.gl/KYgsfF

Offline [aero]

• View Profile
Re: Life at Sea
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2011, 01:07:35 AM »
eheheh this is going to be fun XD

Offline eldritchmaestro

• High Chancellor of Horror
  • Global Moderator
  • real life has wack graphics
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2011, 05:04:53 AM »
I second that! Ehehe, i'm finally in an MR story... Can't wait to get back for sure

Offline Coryn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2011, 06:41:53 AM »
@aero - *starts laughing maniacally*

@lego - yes you are. And this time you won't get horribly eaten by zombies.......probably...

Offline Tostificer

• Lord Conqueror Toast
  • Bigger they come, harder they fall
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2011, 10:46:31 AM »
Read it yesterday, had no time to post. Nice story dude, looking forward to the rest! I hope you won't get too mad if I post an MR fanfic myself? You inspired me. It's finished now anyway and it's very short, so I might just as well put it on here.
Bros with Legomaestro since 2010. I think.

Offline Monsterful

• Retired
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2011, 01:26:41 PM »
Lol XD I like not being the bad guy for once x3, pretty hilarious!

Offline Coryn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2011, 01:56:24 PM »
MR stories are fair game for all of us toasty. feel free to write about us in whatever way you damn well please.

and thanks you two for the compliments! and yes for once monster you aren't evil. though that's subject to change at my completely random digression.

Offline AnimeDoodler

• Life's a pencil and someone is chewing my eraser..
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2011, 05:04:37 PM »
awesome! thanks for making me your first mate! cant wait to help you..umm.. keep order on deck :)

Offline Coryn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2011, 05:23:40 PM »
so...so much...it's just....well you'll see i guess....

Offline AnimeDoodler

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2011, 05:28:41 PM »
o__o fun..

Offline Coryn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2011, 06:21:49 PM »
and chapter two. which is a smashing scene where we...*abruptly ends and get's replaced by chocking noises*

Through The Night

A full moon sits high in the air, shining down into a thick layer of fog that blankets the

ocean. Cutting through the fog bank is a massive Chinese junk, heavily laden with canon, and

with massive red sails. On the back of which were gold letters, spelling out the ship’s name:

Red Dragon’s Breath. While well populated, the ship is barely crewed. With the majority of

those aboard being concubines for the ship’s captain; The Terror of the South China Sea: Sai Hawkeye.

Out on deck Kite, Toasty, Fabia, and Keyjo were down on their hands and knees,

scrubbing the planks shoulder to shoulder with each other. The water they were using was cold

and dirty and the icy fog was chilling them to the bone. Their situation was in sharp contrast to

what must have been going on in the captain’s cabin. Smoke leaked out from the doors and a

warm glow emanated from the windows situated on the ship’s sides. Sounds of laughter could be

heard every once in a while, fueled by the large amounts of wine that Sai had brought up from

the lower decks earlier in the day.

Scrubbing furiously so that they could finish their work for the day, the four crew

members chatted quietly among themselves. Fabia had been complaining about the poor excuse

for food they had eaten for dinner. However he soon lowered his voice to speak of more serious

matters. “So does anybody know what exactly gives them the right to just abduct us like this? I

mean yeah doing stuff around MR City is one thing, but sticking us out in the ocean on a 300

year old ship? That’s just a bit much.” Keyjo spoke up next sitting up to relax her back as she

did. “Well it’s just a theory here. But you think the ship isn’t really 300 years old?”

“What do you mean?”

“Well I’m no expert but this thing looks pretty new. So either they built an entirely new ship and

made us some period clothing or we…”

“Were taken back in time?”

“Is it so ridiculous? I’ve only been around a few months and I can already tell you it wouldn’t be

out of the realm of possibility.” Kite spoke up. “Well I don’t know about the time travel stuff.

Thinking about those things always make my head hurt. But in the contract agreements it says

that the Admins or Mods have the right to recruit us with force if necessary in order to undertake

acts of piracy.” All heads turned towards Kite in confusion, obviously not prepared to hear

something like that come from his mouth. Toasty leaned back a little while eyeing him.

“Don’t tell me you actually read that whole thing. I mean it’s like, over 9000 pages long or

something!”

“But if you don’t read the entire agreement how do you know if you agree or not?”

“…I…I don’t….what…uh….I think I’m having an aneurysm…” Toasty started scrubbing

fanatically to get the thought out of his mind and Fabia started speaking again. “Moving on. Do

you think Sai is ever going to come out of the cabin? I mean he didn’t even address us when we

woke up. He had Lords giving all the orders while he stayed inside.” Once again Keyjo

responded. “Well I’ve never seen him so reclusive before for sure, but maybe he’s just busy or

something.”

“A captain too busy to give orders on his own ship? Doesn’t that strike you as even a little odd?”

“I guess. But what do you think we should do about it? We didn’t get weapons or anything. All

we can really do at this point is follow orders and see what happens.”

“I suppose so.”

“Guys…”

It was Toasty starting to speak again. “I know we’ve just been ignoring this until now.

But do you think what Lords said was true? Is Coryn really trying to kill us? Just for going after

the same prize? I mean yeah he can be kinda blunt sometimes but isn’t killing us a bit much?”

The faces of the rest of the crew took on an ominous look. Keyjo spoke. “Hard to believe yeah.

But do we have any reason not to trust Lords or Sai?”

“Not really.”

They finished up scrubbing the last of the deck and dumped the waste water off the side

of the ship. Just before heading back down the hold for sleep the doors to the captain’s cabin

flew open, and out stepped Lords. His torso and shoulders were covered in what looked like

ancient Chinese armor. Which while not highly decorated looked to be extremely well put

together. Underneath the armor were robes that appeared to be of the exact same design as those

that shaolin monks wore with the exception that they were dyed completely black. At his waist

was tied a Chinese Dadao, which reflected the dim moonlight. The crew members quickly turned

towards him at attention. Resting his hands on his waist Lords addressed them. “I assume you’ve

finished your duties?!” They all answered in unison. “Yes Sir!”

“Good. As first mate it’s my duty to keep you in line! And that includes keeping you lot from

bothering the captain! That’s why tonight if any of you so much as cause the captain roll over in

his sleep, you’ll spend tomorrow hanging from the back of the ship! Clear?!”

“Yes Sir!”

“Then what are you still doing here?! Get bellow deck!”

The four hurried off to their cots as Lords went up to the wheel. Pulling out a compass

from under his armor he flipped it open. After getting a heading he adjusted the wheel ever so

slightly. “Our window is closing fast. If we don’t make it to the rift within the next three days,

we won’t ever make it at all.”

the sword that Lords was carrying. - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dadao
« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 02:07:34 PM by Coryn Sken »

Offline AnimeDoodler

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2011, 07:43:46 PM »
Awesome!! loving the story so far coryn!

Do you think it'd be ok to draw up designs for the ships and crew of Life at Sea? It wont be a comic, but it'd be fun to do a page with each individual captain,crew and ship...

let me know if that's ok!

Offline Coryn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2011, 08:00:19 PM »
that would be awesome! just some quick notes for the ships: The Ceasar's Destiny is a classic european ship. double masted and with two decks of guns. (so like canons on the top deck and another row on the deck beneath it.)

The Red Dragon's Breath is of course a chinese junk. (which reminds me i should add red sails to it's description) has two decks for canon just like The Destiny, but has more guns overall. and is also the larger of the two ships

EDIT: a message to all readers who are portrayed within the story! doodle has informed me since she is drawing you, she would like you to pm her a recent photo if you can. or else suffer the consequences and be outdated in your looks.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2011, 09:02:48 PM by Coryn Sken »

Offline Tostificer

• Lord Conqueror Toast
  • Bigger they come, harder they fall
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2011, 10:50:15 AM »
Woo! I'm on Sai's side! Go team Sai!

...Also pretty creepy. Didn't know you wanted us dead Coryn. I mean, you might kinda have built up a hatred towards me by now but death? Dang.

And I'll be sure to pm a picca to Doodle for the story.
Bros with Legomaestro since 2010. I think.

Offline eldritchmaestro

• High Chancellor of Horror
  • Global Moderator
  • real life has wack graphics
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2011, 11:44:14 AM »
Ah, the other team appears! Quite the evil captains, but man, you have Lord n Sai on your side! But i'll trust my captains and my jolly good ship!
Toasty! I challenge you!
And yup, i'll send the pm. Sounds interestin!