November 18, 2017, 06:27:52 PM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: Copyright question  (Read 8291 times)

Offline Corycaly

• I'm the French yeti: often heard of but rarely seen.
  • Administrator
  • Life is a giant primary school playground.
    • View Profile
    • Corycaly's blog
Re: Copyright question
« Reply #30 on: February 15, 2011, 12:05:51 PM »
So how publishers detect stolen pics on web?

Offline everlastin01

• Learning/attempting writer
  • Working on story and practing things
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 15, 2011, 12:27:21 PM »
it is really hard to find stolen pics because they may edit them an say that it is theirs, but an artist ma be able to find out if they compare it to the original. you can fine them too.
Coryn's assistant

and Rouge Student (Galactic Raiders)

Offline Corycaly

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Corycaly's blog
« Reply #32 on: February 16, 2011, 12:30:17 PM »
Useful question: What to do if  someone stole my art (brushes/pattern/picture) and used it in his own project?

Let's study several cases:
.someone used my brushes patterns without crediting me
.someone used my picture without crediting me
. someone used my picture as inspiration without crediting me

What is the procedure to follow? Are there differences if the art was used for a commercial project?

Offline SaiHawkeye

• Cosplayer/Photographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 16, 2011, 12:59:17 PM »
In the first two cases, you need to be able to prove your case to your creation being used for their work. You have to first notify them of the infringement and give them ample time to respond. If they do not respond within a reasonable time or do not remove or modify the work, you can contact the place that is hosting the file and provide them links that support your argument and they can remove it.

For the third one, inspiration is a little difficult but if you can continuously prove infringement, you can support your case. It would be difficult for a single work of art unless there were many key features that coincide with yours specifically.

Limited copyright protection is only useful to a partial extent and the outcome depends on a case-by-case basis. If you truly want your works to be protect, let it be known that you are placing a limited license in all of your works. An even stronger point would be to copyright, patent, or trademark your works but this would get expensive very quickly.

Ecchi Commander Sai of the 3rd Mechanized Loli Corps.

Offline Hasith

• xYx
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 16, 2011, 02:47:41 PM »
You can ask them to credit you or remove your brushes or whatever the things.

If the person doesn't comply with your request you can request the Hosting service provider to remove content from their servers. For that you will need to show proof for your work.

You can goto court but worthless comparing with what you have to spend for lawyers and stuff. Lets say you did it and win the case. If guy can't pay you he will be send to prison for few months or just get a warning most of the cases. Which means you just lost money for nothing. Unless it's used by someone who can really pay no point of taking legal action. But usually those who can pay do things by the book.

Offline everlastin01

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 17, 2011, 12:04:49 PM »
this is when fair use comes into play. you can only use up to 5 or 10% of images from a single artist or you are vialating th copyright law. for educational purposes only does fair use apply, so if you use someone's copyrighted property and it is not for an educational purpose you are violating the copyright law. This applies to everything that has to do with manga other than stories but there are laws for them to.
 (this is why computer apps 1 is a good class to take)
Coryn's assistant

Offline Corycaly

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Corycaly's blog
« Reply #36 on: February 17, 2011, 12:18:25 PM »
Question: using a picture and copying it to learn manga drawings can be considered as educationnal or not?

Offline Tostificer

• Lord Conqueror Toast
  • Bigger they come, harder they fall
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 17, 2011, 01:12:32 PM »
Educational? Certainly, I've learned most of the basic stuff by just copying things. Is it legal? I think so. Even copyright cannot stop you from getting the pic for own use, only if prevents you from spreading it further onto the internet, and stops you from using it for your own benefit.
Bros with Legomaestro since 2010. I think.

Offline everlastin01

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 17, 2011, 04:39:03 PM »
i say it would be considered educational........just don't claim it as your own and you should be good...unless it is like Walt Diseny(not spelled right) or something that can notice and sue you for everyhting you own because you tried to draw it (i am not sure the part after the ... is true or not so you can ignore it if you want)
Coryn's assistant

Offline Chikage

• Chikage
  • CARAMEL DANCIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 08, 2011, 10:32:05 PM »
on youtube you could just lie and say you bought out the said copyright, for example saying: I paid such&such with so&so ammount of money to use this.  If not, you can use only 20 seconds of a song and it's not illegal, or use uncopyrighted loops from a software to make a remix of a song, in which case dj's break the law all the time because the software can cause you to be able to make the remix.  Also, for pictures, if you are not making profit IT SHOULD NOT BE ILLEGAL so long as you credit said artist.  However, for brushes, you could also lie and say you somehow made the exact same thing, though it's hard to believe.  If you download things like songs or videos from a website and give credit to the site, the government can't really do much except close down the site.  For example, my any video converter stopped working for youtube videos because there have been too many copyright infragments on similar programs.

my whole opinion on copyrights like brushes or inspiration, THE GOVERNMENT NEEDS TO STOP WASTING THEIR TIME AND MONEY BECAUSE IT'S GOING TO HAPPEN IRREGARDLESS IN MOST CASES.

Offline Monsterful

• Retired
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 08, 2011, 10:36:57 PM »
I agree with you in the whole Youtube thing, nowdays most people will only download a video and rip out the song instead of purchasing it.

But on the goverment thing... They're not wasting a single penny on it xD, the ones winning are the lawyers!

Offline Chikage

• Chikage
  • CARAMEL DANCIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 08, 2011, 11:00:03 PM »
I agree with you in the whole Youtube thing, nowdays most people will only download a video and rip out the song instead of purchasing it.

But on the goverment thing... They're not wasting a single penny on it xD, the ones winning are the lawyers!
Like I said, it's opional, and I'm glad someone else knows what I mean...not like I don't do it myself for getting songs on my iPod and such, but that's for personal use alone, and on youtube videos I try not to use more than 20 seconds, and give full credit to the music artist.

Offline Senhin

• Writer.
  • Writer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 05, 2012, 09:51:32 AM »
Anything you create is technically your property. It may be hard to back that up in court without official copyrights, but it's yours nonetheless. If you use their brush and they see it, it's unlikely they'll be able to do anything... However, it will offend/annoy etc... Basically do you wanna be an arse or not? Just ask them if you want to use it... Not hard :P

Offline ravenx2000

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 22, 2012, 01:34:50 PM »
Think being an arse has nothing to about it.

Cause we can. is primarily the attitude here. Also who can stop them or go to the lengths of getting them to stop.

Also getting you're right is different thing then having it. by the time you have contacted the person "does not care most likely in the first place" asking him to modify has gone to nothing. You can contact Serv 1.000.000.000 and ask for something. First off I wonder if you get even replied at. My first opinion is Hellz no. Cause I do get the idea you're not the only one sending mails to a server or provider or whatever. being ignored is easier then comminicate with anyone in general.

Then getting you're right. Lawyers cost money, were is this copying being done, hope it's not china? internationally , i've seen cases were people caused an accident with fatal ending to a 3rd party. The famous after 9 years of seuing I got money get's heard pretty often. Even more so when it's not in ones own country.

Not saying don't do anything about it. But make sure you prepared and it's worth fighting for. Even though it would suck for my brush to get stolen, it would be worse if a whole manga idea got ripped off and someone made it into a succes.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 01:36:37 PM by ravenx2000 »

Offline everlastin01

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 01, 2012, 08:41:36 AM »
this died....it was a good topic though
Coryn's assistant