September 27, 2020, 09:34:24 AM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: Legomaestro's Art Box  (Read 157934 times)

Offline legomaestro

• High Chancellor of Righteousness
  • Global Moderator
  • real life has wack graphics
    • View Profile
Re: Legomaestro's Art Box
« Reply #2130 on: November 19, 2019, 09:25:05 AM »
It turned quite *ahem* along the line. But I hear you, fam. I've made my peace: Side arm it is.

Muhuhahahaha. Still totally going to be overdoing it though.

On my mind right now: I'm pretty good at feeling out things, and backgrounds have terrified me because I've thought about them from a perspective... perspective (jeez is that English.)

But now I've decided to approach them from a thumbnailing/doodle perspective, make as many drawings and sketches as possible and find out what my weaknesses are, and then work on those through regimens.

I'd also like to get back to colour soon.
Spoiler

I'm not sure what this story tells. I think the river is oil and there's some ruins there, but I'm not sure about anything else haha. I can't say.
Spoiler

A remote border crossing with thousands of years of history has become the home of the legendary Forest Guard. Because of the peace of this particular region the guards carried out their duty faithfully for lifetimes, passing the duty from member to member until - out of sheer boredom or the need for discipline - they started training in martial arts.
While the building itself and their arts have very little in the way of aesthetics, they believe strongly in The Twin Boar gods, forest spirits that are said to have wounded even hunter-gods that wanted to claim their manes.

Spoiler

Seven The Wanderer climbs down The Charcoal Path. What once used to be an uninhabiteable rocky mountain is now a safe mountain past for wanderers that leads to an idyllic Valley of Blue Leaves, where Seven hopes to spend some years in meditation.
Spoiler

Clammy is an alien combatant who got thrown through time and landed in a medieval city that happened to be under the throes of a zombie plague. Until her possible rescue she decides to make the city her home and avoid messing up the timeline as much as possible. I suspect she's successful, so successful in fact that she lays down her laser pistol and decides to live there.

Offline Suuper-san

• Professional Overthinker
  • We'll see.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #2131 on: November 20, 2019, 11:55:09 AM »
But now I've decided to approach them from a thumbnailing/doodle perspective, make as many drawings and sketches as possible and find out what my weaknesses are, and then work on those through regimens.
Doesn't the 1000 building thumbnails you did count as exactly this?

2nd and 4th ones are lovely.
the 4th one is quite a similar style to my normal compositions - full body shot with some background.
I love how you've fleshed out the ideas with a paragraph or sentence of description. I must really get round to that as practice for getting my proper stories underway.

But how do you do it? Is it just basically whatever comes into your head and you just throw it down? Like character names and stuff, place names etc. Do you have the concept first and then draw the thumbnail and then give it a name and backstory, or a bit of both as you're drawing it you come up with it, which helps it to take shape?

On a similar note, I always notice the translators notes or the authors notes on where they got names for characters or magic, and it's often never from their own imagination. For exxample, almost all the magic used in Magi, is arabic words that pretty much describe the spell like "explosion hot hot" is "Har Har Ainfijar" or something. And a lot of fairy tail has Spanish names for stuff like "Oracion Seis", the 6 prayers. So I'm torn between making up my own names for stuff, or using a random language or following mythology etc. i.e. the Fate franchise uses characters straight out of mythology like King Arthur or Alexander the Great as well as their weapons and spells.

(actually that's really a topic on it's own lemme make that)
« Last Edit: November 20, 2019, 04:29:42 PM by suuper-san »
Art: Manga / Fanart / Requests (closed) / Other | Manga Stories: Overdrive / Endlessness
Other: Tutorials / Craft | Feedback & Critique Welcome!!

Offline legomaestro

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2132 on: November 21, 2019, 06:48:00 AM »
I answered long form in said topic, but basically I go with what comes with me haha. I should do more research though so that I have more solid settings and backgrounds. Heck, I can't even draw a classroom let alone describe one as I am. And forget about other sorts of structures. I need to use more references and information.

4th one is my favourite too XD

Also funny you mentioned the thumbnails, because they re-inspired me to tackle backgrounds. I guess I forgot the joy of doing those thumbnails, and I'm even tempted to redraw some of them because there are some pretty fun ideas in there.

Heck, now that I think of it I have 1,000 characters and 1,000 thumbnails to draw from. I've got 1,000 images or panels I could make even with singular characters hahaha.

Offline Suuper-san

• We'll see.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #2133 on: November 21, 2019, 07:41:27 AM »
I think when it comes to natural inspiration our background and knowledge really have an impact on our success rate haha
My friend is fantastic at coming up with stories and backstories for my characters, and he says it's partly because of all the games he plays that give him ideas. I don't read much other than manga (which helps a bit) so I think I'm lacking in general knowledge.

combining your characters and backgrounds sounds like a great idea to get proper illustration worthy pieces, as well as improving both to a higher level, since you already have a decent idea for both already.
Art: Manga / Fanart / Requests (closed) / Other | Manga Stories: Overdrive / Endlessness

Offline legomaestro

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2134 on: November 22, 2019, 10:11:46 AM »
Exactly haha.

And yesss your friend. I love it when 'only video games' gives people tangible inspiration and stuff. Cool things.

And thanks suuper. I hope to stick to my guns and really do it. Drawing characters is such an old habit XD

Spoiler

So I snapped off two branches from an old tree on my way back home.

Spoiler

Then used them to draw a scene
Spoiler

I think I'll be doing this more often haha. What about spaceships out of my collection of pens or something? Dunno

Spoiler

Also a bird/lizard dude warrior with a funky coat

Offline Suuper-san

• We'll see.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #2135 on: November 22, 2019, 04:42:05 PM »
spaceships out of my collection of pens or something
That sounds awesome.

Using sticks is a bit of a bizzare thing to get inspiration from (although compared to pens, I'm not sure what counts as normal inspiration anymore)

but a scene and a character from the same inspiration? cool stuff. that's making your resources work for you for sure.

And this really hammers home the point that inspiration is literally anywhere and everywhere. That's the conclusion I arrived at on my naming ideas thread, and it applies to virtually any field where ideas are created.

I favourited something like this somewhere lemme find it. Ah here we go. This is the kinda of abstract inspiration that I like.
https://imgur.com/gallery/eg5Plx6
https://imgur.com/gallery/W96Ubb0
enjoy.

Offline Echo_River

• Mild Observer
  • Need Chips
    • View Profile
« Reply #2136 on: November 24, 2019, 10:01:55 PM »
Bird/lizard warrior is sleeeeek.
It's fascinating to see the inspiration pulled from random objects. Seems like a great training exercise too.
No one is perfect . . . that's why there's erasers and extra paper.
DA: http://neysun.deviantart.com
IG: https://www.instagram.com/neysun_hao/
SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/star-lock

Offline legomaestro

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2137 on: December 06, 2019, 03:43:45 AM »
Thankee Echo. And yeah it is. I should do it more.

@suuper gaaaah yes actually i was totally inspired by this back in the day. I should've mentioned it but that's exactly the dude that I always look at. There's even the other one who redraws his kids drawings and they're freaking amazing

https://twistedsifter.com/2018/12/artist-thomas-romain-illustrates-his-kids-drawings/

Damn, clean lineart makes me see limb mistakes even more haha.

Offline Suuper-san

• We'll see.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #2138 on: December 06, 2019, 04:17:06 AM »
I've seen a couple of "kids drawings done professionally" posts, but that's the best one yet. That kid is also pretty decent for ideas though, I never drew anything like that when I was younger. "Is this the insurmountable wall called 'talent'....? Can an average person only get so far with just hard work.....?"
But it shows that an idea can be completely separate from the skill required to execute it. One Punch Man is a good example of this. And also highlights that producing creative ideas is a skill on it's own that needs to be honed. GAH.

That second one is sooo awesome, I really want to draw her haha. She looks totally straight out of an anime or something. proportions are pretty decent too.

Yes linearts will teach you what your sketches lack. That's why I havent done linearts for 6 months - I saw that my sketches didn't have enough detail - and thus the "cleaning/resolving" stage was born. Thankfully I'm finally back on linearts, but we'll see how they end up. So see it as a great way to improve by highlighting mistakes. Same as flipping a drawing kinda thing.

Offline legomaestro

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2139 on: December 10, 2019, 04:56:18 AM »
Cheers suuper! I was pretty happy about it too haha

That being said I've found my holy grail in an artist I've met on instagram. I'll be sticking to this for a minute.

plus two earlier drawings

Offline Suuper-san

• We'll see.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #2140 on: December 11, 2019, 03:25:30 AM »
When you have a crisp lineart, almost any drawing will look better anyway, because it is more complete. That's what I'm noticing with my sketches now, even though they have mistakes, just being finished and sharp makes them look better.

and nice bunch of sketches

top one-nice costume and expression. the top half and bottom half don't quite match because the hips are super large, but that is sort of your style as well.

middle one-nice shading. very much a concept art style as you say. nice smokey background, considering it's only a few lines.

bottom one - good pose and sharper lines but still soft - resembles a bit how my lines look funnily enough. The shading is good.

I love the huge eyes you've got going, I tried out a larger eye style a while back and I always said I would go back to it and finish off the style. It's different from yours but now I'm inspired again :P

Offline legomaestro

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2141 on: January 06, 2020, 07:06:52 AM »
Haha large eyes work sometimes. I've seen you have to go big or go broke. Being in between about it can be funky somehow? I dunno.

Anyhoo 2020! Regress!  Very optimistic about this year as ye can see. Let's go!

Offline Slammer

• : )
    • View Profile
« Reply #2142 on: January 06, 2020, 11:01:20 AM »
What do you mean Holy Grail artist on instagram?

Nice work, happy 2020

Offline Suuper-san

• We'll see.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #2143 on: January 06, 2020, 02:31:20 PM »
nice sketches!
nice face angle on the first one, very hero-esque :P
and nice dynamicness on the last one. a bit comical too :)
I'm pretty optimistic for 2020 too, it seems everything is culminating this year to a new apex, and it'd be great if that happened to everyone :)

Offline Coryn

• Director of the MR Science Division
  • Global Moderator
  • Secretly a 13 year old girl.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2144 on: January 06, 2020, 09:56:51 PM »
Love that first one! You're really approaching the true shonen style right there! If you fleshed that cloak out into more of a kimono I'd almost say it was an early draft of a period piece splash page!

Will review stories upon request. My latest arc: http://goo.gl/KYgsfF