April 16, 2024, 01:58:29 AM

------------------------------------------

PLZ READ THIS ALL ACTIVE MEMBERS

CLICK Here.

Author Topic: Legomaestro's Art Box  (Read 316864 times)

Offline legomaestro

• High Chancellor of Righteousness
  • Global Moderator
  • real life has wack graphics
    • View Profile
Re: Legomaestro's Art Box
« Reply #1575 on: July 07, 2016, 05:20:18 PM »
@Austa
Spoiler

Cy-Mei is the goddess of wi-fi. She walks around with her holy umbrella of infinite high speed internet access, sometimes surprising the unsuspecting daily browser with a sudden spike in internet speed. For those who know how to track her, they chase after with their laptops open, unable to tear themselves away from that moment where she bestowed her 'blue blessing' on them.

She's a massive hipster and pack rat, so much that she's even been called a goddess of thievery sometimes she  picksup whatever interests her, encoding it into an arm band and putting it on her left hand.

She also loves coffee and haunts several coffee shops across the cities of the planet.

NOT to be mixed with the internet god or anything. She's certainly in the same realm, but only responsible for a great connection to the internet.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2017, 11:30:32 PM by reX »

Offline Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
  • Anyone need a wall of text?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1576 on: July 08, 2016, 04:29:11 PM »

I'm reminded of designer sketches for clothing.

i was about to exactly say that myself :P
i love the range of clothes and style you have drawn lego, thats something that i just cant seem to manage myself :P
and your style has really become more uniform now, i think you can afford to spend some more time on some sketches to add more detail and make them sharper!
nice amount of work and keep it up :P
Art: Illustrations / Fanart / Requests (closed) / Other Art | Manga Stories & Projects
Other Stuff: Tutorials / Craft / Cosplay | Feedback & Critique Welcome!

Offline legomaestro

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1577 on: July 13, 2016, 08:09:32 AM »
Thanks people. I do want to learn to draw different kinds of clothing. I tend to end up with the same poses. And hidden hand syndrome haha.

Well your drawings look consistent at least. Something I want to work on, but I'm glad my style is solidifying into something.

Erm, I listened to what you said, but I'll try to be more careful the next time, after this current dump. Slaving over a single concept just isn't in my blood man. Maybe for something like the Hero Coats or another project, but for my personal drawing as far as I can see it'd just be adding makeup to a rock - Without the actual skill to draw epic clothing and proportioned bodies, no matter how long I work at it it'll still be the same.

Sketch dump.
Spoiler

Erasmus - Son of the King of Druids from that comic I was working on Penance. He abandoned his teachings and became a warrior on the battlefield, but is so loved by nature he manages to be an excellent spellcaster and medicine man despite his best attempts to throw away that aspect of him. He becomes a helpful companion to Ro Graver later in the story.

Spoiler

The Itypicals - Zane and Martha White, Bella and Ruvian Silver and Jane and Hux - A group of six friends end up meeting eachother on a quest to find new lands for a kingdom torn by war and lack of resources seeking to explore the world. If I ever wrote this story, I'd imagine it to be more of a fantasy drama than anything action packed.

These are people who already had their adventures and found their loves. They're just experienced pros now on yet another grand mission, but they do have a great time catching up to what happened in eachothers' lives as they grew up and resolve some issues that were never sorted out earlier.

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Dregs - A lord so corrupt and cunning he's been designated as a demon to be hunted and killed, a barbarian woman so skilled she makes people look bad and a medusa-snake that's not trusted because of her lineage are sent on a suicide mission to a kingdom that's been overrun by demons.

Spoiler

Tabitha The Dealmaker - A boxer wants fists strong enough to crush any martial artist foe in all the lands and goes on a contract-signing spree with several demons to incrimentally improve her punching power and technique. She's so street-smart she's on 50 contracts and counting, making a name for herself as The Dealmaker.
Spoiler

Referenced from an image, a test to see how much I could capture with a few strokes. It was a girl in army fatigues and a coat over a shoulders - for some dog training competition or something.
Spoiler

Samantha and Robert

Spoiler

A man seeks to inspire as many people as he can by traumatizing them as they are young, to bolster each and every one of them into seeking revenge against him and becoming powerful as a result. He's trying to spread enough menace in a land he believes too peaceful to survive the coming ages.

Spoiler

Ariadne has two entire generations of kingdom-saving heroes to look up to. While the task does seem intimidating, she collects information about them even as she tries to find her own path.

Spoiler

Sketches from people in a coffeeshop

Spoiler

Urblore - Hipsters meet magic in this story of urban fantasy, where hackers learn dark magic and rappers learn the ways of the samurai.
Spoiler

« Last Edit: August 17, 2017, 11:39:04 PM by reX »

Offline MahluaandMilk

• MagicKal#6370 / Fanservice with Legs
  • Resident Witchipedia
    • View Profile
« Reply #1578 on: July 13, 2016, 11:43:35 AM »
I think I'm starting to realize more than anything what I admire is your ability to freely pick up a pen and just draw without fear of how slanted or ""incorrect"" it winds up looking. I can see that you have fun with it, and I think I've kind of forgotten that.
Haha signature go brr.

Offline Ryan

• View Profile
« Reply #1579 on: July 13, 2016, 02:11:56 PM »
Your slant isn't nearly as much as it used to be. As long as you draw with your paper perpendicular to your line of view, you should be fine. Here's an illustration, for fun and demonstration.
What I usually do is use a 9x12 illustration board as a hard surface so I don't need to deal with the paper folding. They're stiff boards like this, used for illustrations & drawings
Spoiler

In terms of your proportions, your proportions aren't really bad. There's just one thing you are doing that is messing things up. Basically, you need to get your shoulder to head/face ratio better. Your proportions tend to be better when you're doing a side view of the figure, because this ratio isn't used in that case.

In other words, the proportions for your bodies are pretty alright, but it's that your head sizes aren't accurate. Of course, your proportions could be better elsewhere, but that applies to mostly everyone. I'll show you what I mean.

In general, a 1:3 ratio between head/face width:shoulders is ideal. We're talking about the body, not clothes here. Clothes can increase this ratio, so don't be fooled by this.

By fixing your shoulder:head proportions, a lot of your body:head proportions are automatically fixed.

Here's the rest of my critique/advice/redlining.

Keep up the good work. I believe if you take this advice, you won't lose your style or anything, so by any chance that you are afraid of that, don't worry about it. You are already every once in a while falling upon the same guidelines I'm speaking of.

P.S. I thought I almost lost the post while making it, thank god I didn't.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2016, 02:14:44 PM by Ryan »

Offline legomaestro

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1580 on: July 13, 2016, 03:08:14 PM »
Yikes Ryan! You totally red-lined my work! It means a bunch. And I do notice you've had mercy on the 3d dimensionality of the drawings.

I'll try to keep the mid point thing in mind. In my next batch I'll be having a small ruler handy to see if I can help lessen the slant more and make the proportions between the two better.

Yeah, that shoulder looks much better with you decreasing the distance.

Haha it's always terrifying when you almost lose a post. Glad it stuck

- Manimal also told me he uses a hard srface for drawing. I really need me one of those boards. I'll take a look next time in the stationary shop. As for a slanted surface I'll just use books or something to slant it.

@Mahlua hahaha I'll definitely take that as a compliment OTL. Really, it bites me constantly in the back. If you can think things through and draw then you're fine as you are. I just get a crippling demotivation to draw when I overthink things and try to be careful. It's frustrating to people I know but I've learnt that the hard way over and over again haha... Thanks for commenting!

Offline Corycaly

• I'm the French yeti: often heard of but rarely seen.
  • Administrator
  • Life is a bazooka.
    • View Profile
    • Corycaly's blog
« Reply #1581 on: August 02, 2016, 06:49:19 PM »
Ryan gave lots of good advice which can be useful to all members. I remember I had some similar mistakes but they disappeared when I got new readin classes and had eye reeducation lessons. Keep working!!

Offline legomaestro

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1582 on: August 02, 2016, 07:08:58 PM »
Yeah, dude knows how to critique for real. Eye reeducation? That actually exists? Yikes, sounds pretty top tier.

Offline Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1583 on: August 03, 2016, 08:26:46 AM »
nice sketch dump!
although your sketches are a bit messy, the designs are really varied. do you just think of the clothes designs on the spot, or do you have reference? i have real trouble thinking of anything other than trousers and t-shirt :P

i think Ryan said it all for proportions etc, but i would add, make sure that your guidelines are correctly upright, and then work properly to those guidelines. ive been noticing that because my guidelines slant sometimes, i then follow them "perfectly" to get a totally slanted picture. if the guidelines were straight to begin with, then you have a better chance of making a good drawing.

i think when you have done a sketch, you should try and redraw it with more detail. often for a new pose i will thumnail sketch the pose and clothes first, then draw it larger in full detail. i dont see many of your drawings with a lot of detail, so thats what i think you could try and add.

also, you do the same as me, which is mostly not draw backgrounds. a character looks a lot more real when they have surroundings, and it makes for a more complete drawing.

looking forward to your improvement!
Art: Illustrations / Fanart / Requests (closed) / Other Art | Manga Stories & Projects

Offline legomaestro

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1584 on: August 27, 2016, 12:58:37 PM »
I just think of them on the spot really, go with the flow. I think things would go better if I referenced and took my time, but it's just not in me to do that at the moment. I would love to, really, but I just get too frustrated trying to work on something and make it masterful, only to have mediocre results. I'd rather be in a flow and have what little fun I can from it.

That's just me, I do know things turn out better if you take your time though for sure. I'm agreed on that.

Upright guidelines... I'm still not sure how to get that done (other than that nifty trick you showed me) I was hoping the triangles I bought would help but noope.

I just have no idea where to start when it comes to backgrounds. .Perspective and all his monstrous friends freaks me out. I'll see what I can do, but don't hold your breath or anything.

Anyhow, sketch dump.

Spoiler

Sketched a girl I saw on the train, and Stan a Chaos Knight who kills gods with a sword that has a bad name I won't mention here haha

Attempt and failure at seeing 3d forms to construct people.

Some warrior gals, and a quick sketch of the scenery out atrain window

^

And I'm going to just go ahead and make things I'll call Sketchics, because the endless hunt for the perfect toning isn't working out, and I just want to be able to make my stories even if the art isn't even nearly polished. Right now what I desperately need is mileage

So my first short

"Hearbreaker Samantha"

page 1

page 2

page 3

page 4

page 5
[/URL]

page 6

page 7
[/URL]

page 8

page 9

page 10

Spoiler
Samantha betrays anyone and everyone to get what she wants and needs. As ever the enigma, nobody knows what her goal is or if anything she does is real. Benjamin knew as much, but still fell in love with her, and still felt betrayed when she eventually left him, and challenged her, at his own peril.

I hope to be able to make more of these for fun. Might as well finish Penance
« Last Edit: August 17, 2017, 11:49:57 PM by reX »

Offline Forlorn Serpent

• Children's Book Author and Screenwriter
  • Your Typical Unpublished Author... by choice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1585 on: August 27, 2016, 01:09:10 PM »
I went through your Heartbreaker Samantha, obviously it was sketches, but the story was clear. The fight scene was cool and it didn't take me out of it because it flowed. I liked it.

Offline legomaestro

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1586 on: August 27, 2016, 01:31:57 PM »
Thanks alot Forlorn, I appreciate it. So long as its clear then I'm ok with it.  Cheers

Offline Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1587 on: August 28, 2016, 04:24:23 AM »
wow lego your character sketches are so cooooool!
although they are seriously sketchy lol

that manga was awesome!
the flow was quite good, im not good at critiquing fight scenes, but i think the sword would have hit the ground earlier, but it was cool was cool where you put it in as well.
what on earth happened to pages 7 and 8, they look like your screwed them up and then changed your mind :P

your sketches drawn with the slightly thicker lines look the best.

as for constructing stuff with shapes, have you tried using shapes to construct stuff when you are copying work as well? i have tried that and its similar to gesture drawing, that you learn how to construct the drawing, not just copy it, which you can then apply to your won drawings.
remember that you can use your own shapes and lines to break down the object or person you are copying, dont use other peoples guideline styles if they dont work for you :P

Offline legomaestro

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1588 on: August 28, 2016, 08:24:31 AM »
I'll see how that goes for me in the future, because its really annoying not gleaning anything from what I reference.

Yeah, that's just not going to improve for a while. I'm just not good enough at drawing to pimp those designs out in any way. True stuff though

Offline Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1589 on: August 28, 2016, 03:37:27 PM »
its really annoying not gleaning anything from what I reference.
yeah for me it seems that i get better for only like a couple of hours after doing a bunch of copying/gestures, then i drop back to my normal skill level again, i just cant keep it high :P