March 29, 2024, 01:11:39 AM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: Legomaestro's Art Box  (Read 314764 times)

Offline legomaestro

• High Chancellor of Righteousness
  • Global Moderator
  • real life has wack graphics
    • View Profile
Re: Legomaestro's Art Box
« Reply #810 on: January 09, 2014, 08:09:22 AM »
I can get behind that sure, I'll definitely try at least

Offline Ryan

• View Profile
« Reply #811 on: January 10, 2014, 05:24:37 PM »
If you want to temporarily avoid studying anatomy, I can propose to you that you spend ALL of your time set aside for drawing from life, studying drawing from life principles, and studying other peoples' drawing from life. It almost disgusts me, the tunnel vision going on here about lego's anatomy. Honestly, you guys are parroting the same *censored* to him over and over. You could have at least told him to draw from life, for god's sake. But I don't think I saw that even once.

Now, I'm not saying that tackling the knowledge you need to know for anatomy and learning to draw at the same time is a bad idea. What I'm saying is that anatomy is only one subject that improves drawing, and it's not even a fundamental in my book(it's a hierarchy skill, which is necessary to make good drawings once you know the fundamentals to some extent).. Even when one knows anatomy, their drawings can still be *censored*, because they weren't bothered to learn any of the fundamentals in the meantime.

Lego, I'm going to be brutally honest with you. Your drawings are flat, which is bad, and flat drawings are almost never good. They're not flat because you don't know anatomy, it's because you don't know how to use the fundamentals of drawing, particularly the fundamental of form. Learn your fundamentals: space, form, value, texture, and line. The best way to learn the fundamentals is DRAWING FROM LIFE.

So, now I propose to you a choice. Take a month to seriously dig into drawing from life. Or, you can study anatomy, which you believe to be boring. If you don't do either of these things, your drawings won't really improve that much. They'll improve only in the way that a highschooler layman can improve his drawings, by making small tiny little corrections over 50-bajillion drawings. If you ask me, I'd rather learn how to draw rather than by guessing what looks better. Those little studies you were doing is fine, but before stuff like that makes a difference you need to know your fundamentals, really.

If you are interested, send me a PM, and I will provide you with the necessary book resources.

Offline legomaestro

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #812 on: January 10, 2014, 05:57:49 PM »
I pretty much got it over time that I have to go through the boredom. I don't know what keeps on happening with the flatness of the drawings. Something always goes wrong when I want to visualize my drawings haha.

I really don't want to get back to digital for a while. It made things a tad too simple I think.

Ryan what do you think of learning with purely a ballpoint pen? Without use of pencil? I had the idea that I should be able to accept mistakes and move on with drawings more, but from what you know does that do more harm than good?

Offline Lumaria

• Editor Group
  • Someone who will tell you what you need to hear
    • View Profile
« Reply #813 on: January 10, 2014, 06:19:31 PM »
If you want to temporarily avoid studying anatomy, I can propose to you that you spend ALL of your time set aside for drawing from life, studying drawing from life principles, and studying other peoples' drawing from life. It almost disgusts me, the tunnel vision going on here about lego's anatomy. Honestly, you guys are parroting the same *censored* to him over and over. You could have at least told him to draw from life, for god's sake. But I don't think I saw that even once.

Now, I'm not saying that tackling the knowledge you need to know for anatomy and learning to draw at the same time is a bad idea. What I'm saying is that anatomy is only one subject that improves drawing, and it's not even a fundamental in my book(it's a hierarchy skill, which is necessary to make good drawings once you know the fundamentals to some extent).. Even when one knows anatomy, their drawings can still be *censored*, because they weren't bothered to learn any of the fundamentals in the meantime.

Lego, I'm going to be brutally honest with you. Your drawings are flat, which is bad, and flat drawings are almost never good. They're not flat because you don't know anatomy, it's because you don't know how to use the fundamentals of drawing, particularly the fundamental of form. Learn your fundamentals: space, form, value, texture, and line. The best way to learn the fundamentals is DRAWING FROM LIFE.

So, now I propose to you a choice. Take a month to seriously dig into drawing from life. Or, you can study anatomy, which you believe to be boring. If you don't do either of these things, your drawings won't really improve that much. They'll improve only in the way that a highschooler layman can improve his drawings, by making small tiny little corrections over 50-bajillion drawings. If you ask me, I'd rather learn how to draw rather than by guessing what looks better. Those little studies you were doing is fine, but before stuff like that makes a difference you need to know your fundamentals, really.

If you are interested, send me a PM, and I will provide you with the necessary book resources.

i honestly don't doubt he knows form....but even so....anatomy is also a way of knowing that....but either way...i honestly don't think "books" are necessary. but i do agree, form is necessary. but i also believe anatomy is a fundemental that can reach him there. because in order to learn anatomy, you must have an idea of form and dimensions.

I pretty much got it over time that I have to go through the boredom. I don't know what keeps on happening with the flatness of the drawings. Something always goes wrong when I want to visualize my drawings haha.

I really don't want to get back to digital for a while. It made things a tad too simple I think.

Ryan what do you think of learning with purely a ballpoint pen? Without use of pencil? I had the idea that I should be able to accept mistakes and move on with drawings more, but from what you know does that do more harm than good?
i highly disagree....because for one, if you don't have a steady hand, you could be making more mistakes each time you redraw.

personally....drawing with pen doesn't allow you to se how much of corrections can be done. my art teacher got pissed when i drew with pen.
Stop playing victim....you know what you did.

Offline Ryan

• View Profile
« Reply #814 on: January 10, 2014, 11:40:17 PM »

You should accept mistakes in the sense that they happen to everybody. When you're drawing from life, you will make mistakes often in judgement of proportion, perspective or whatnot, so much that you should not worry about the initial lines you put down. Later on, once you've discovered more about the object by observing it, you can put down a thicker line and erase the other messy lines.

And you shouldn't learn purely with ballpoint. In comparison to the pencil, it isn't as versatile. The pencil has a larger variation in line, can be erased, and has a comparable pressure sensitivity to a ballpoint pen. Drawing with pen is the act of getting the line right the first time, something that you as an individual should stay away from, especially with drawing from imagination(unless you enjoy being frustrated). I'm not sure what you mean by "moving on with drawings more", do you mean you can't put a sketch that is failing down? Start over completely if your sketch is failing, the effort is wasted when the start of a drawing is bad.

To learn to draw the figure you must learn form and dimensions. When people seem to get better at other fundamentals while studying anatomy, it's because they are studying anatomy as well as the other fundamentals in conjunction. If you're doing studies of real people, yes you're learning fundamentals that aren't just anatomy. But that's something you do after you can draw basic objects from life like apples, furniture, electronics, w/e. Otherwise you're just doing something that requires a lot of skill that you don't yet have.

Offline legomaestro

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #815 on: January 14, 2014, 01:21:17 PM »

« Last Edit: August 17, 2017, 01:50:19 AM by reX »

Offline Lumaria

• Editor Group
  • Someone who will tell you what you need to hear
    • View Profile
« Reply #816 on: January 14, 2014, 01:25:41 PM »
can't see them for some reason
Stop playing victim....you know what you did.

Offline legomaestro

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #817 on: January 14, 2014, 02:18:08 PM »
That shouldn't happen. What exactly is happening it's showing a blank post?

Offline DBNext

• View Profile
« Reply #818 on: January 14, 2014, 03:32:15 PM »
That last one looks pretty good
His upper part is well drawn, but his legs feel too big and long for his body

Offline legomaestro

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #819 on: January 14, 2014, 03:35:37 PM »
I see, thanks for the input. I reverse-engineered an Amano final fantasy sketch for that one

Offline KagePen

• View Profile
« Reply #820 on: January 14, 2014, 09:32:05 PM »
Hmm, have you considered using guidelines? They really helped me, I think on the first page of my gallery FlossAndChaos left me a cool tutorial with some pictures. If you can find my gallery you can look there for how to do it, but like I said.. If you find it xD

As a rule of thumb, a character's legs look better if it is half the size of their body, I'm not sure if it's anatomically correct but it works. Keep drawing!

Offline legomaestro

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #821 on: January 14, 2014, 11:04:04 PM »
Haha, well I was just enjoying the flow of the sketch this time around, i'll see how i can put guidelines in later. i've decided to continue working with direct bic sketching after all

Offline legomaestro

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #822 on: February 16, 2014, 11:28:15 AM »

Mangish Study 5 Kubo Miniatures

16-02-14

Bluh bluh started this up again. Got talktative so feel free to just read the actual picture since i started feeling self-important during the study sorry

Just found it interesting how Kubo draws super diminished forms and still manages to make them readable as characters. He's a bit extreme with it, i'd have liked to just draw arms/heads or legs alone to show how small they are, but that'd be a bit much on my part. Anyhow i drew complete silhouettes, and still found it interesting

Here are the notes i made as i went through it

- diminished forms don't define facial features (no nose eyes mouth e.t.c) and often leave the head not fully outlined. (A chin line here, a forehead line there maybe.). Hair seems to be used as an indicator for the tilt of the characters head. (To show if he's facing sideways, towards the camera, if he's head is under the camera...)

*** i just noticed there that the exact same symbol had been used before. He got away with it easily, i only noticed because i went over the whole chapter... so duplicating your art in a chapter can work

- A sword is little more than a simple line. Good thing that Ichigo's sword is all black. I wonder how lighter swords look as drawn by kubo in this miniature form(... must look into that)

-I realize that over time (maybe even within one chapter) it becomes obvious who is who so you can go crazy with showing the tiny forms. Ichigo has a nice flowy cape so all you've got to do is show his ridiculously long sword, some swoosh of his cloak, a spiky sh=phere for his hair and you're all set. 'Colour' everything in black. Looks like learning how to draw stick figures could help after all... there's no anatomy to speak of when you look at these things

- I like where kubo showed ichigo dodging an attack. It's an intense use of action lines to show ichigo's speed. Basically ichigo goes in this direction > then the hair will spike in this direction < . He also uses a nose line to at least show where he's looking (because otherwise he never shows facial features). Also, in the direction ichigo is dodging the lines are defined, but in the opposite direction there is nothing but the action lines. He drew both miniature forms simultaneously and they just work.

- A smart decision of Kubo's part is that you can't mistake a characters outfit. They're unique in some obvious way even without needing to shade them in black or white.

- I think it's impressive also to have your character recognizable from such small images of them. Byakuya's hair, captains outfit and generally noble poses (haha) quickly tell me who he is. Ichigo's frayed bat-like outfit and black sword tell me its him. When he's in his other form of course the big freaking sword is a dead giveaway.

*** here i spotted the symbol/pose that has been used before. Guess it's not lazy if you manage to trick the reader into forgetting.

- I want to try finding miniatures of all Bleach captains and see if I can recognize them at a glance. I'm sure Kubo has managed to make them recognizable even when they're drawn so small.

- Ichigo Flash Stepping around byakuya - too fast to see. Just isolate each image and see how in reality he hasn't drawn much, but it still ends up looking like what it should look like: Ichigo being impossibly fast and byakuya being calm

-Ichigo being attacked - Here ichigo is just a symbol fit for an alien alphabet "
  • " (well something like that). However the speed lines and the attacking blast show that its him being attacked. The previous panels and pages make it too obvious whats happening. But alone without those backing facts it looks like nothing.

- Even more extreme is this scribble. Whats that? That's ichigo being pulverized by an attack. Only the backgroudn and the outline of the blast tells you that its him (and the previous pages).

- I should try doing a 'study' on explosions and smoke and stuff from Bleach, could be interesting.

- Ichigo defending an attack. Even though kubo skims on details he surprisingly puts in a lot. He drew a sandal with more detail than i expected, drawing the sole, the shape and even the string thingie or whatever its called. He also used bandages to show that an arm was an arm and where ichigo's waist was

« Last Edit: August 17, 2017, 01:52:29 AM by reX »

Offline legomaestro

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #823 on: February 22, 2014, 05:33:49 PM »

Lego

in a fancy hat

or something
« Last Edit: August 17, 2017, 01:53:58 AM by reX »