October 20, 2019, 04:59:56 AM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: Legomaestro's Art Box  (Read 119672 times)

Offline Demonfyre

• The beginner, the martyr, the loser, the victor.
    • View Profile
Re: Legomaestro's Art Box
« Reply #795 on: January 05, 2014, 01:35:30 PM »
Yeah, little steps is the best way to do it c: once you can get a schedule and motivate yourself to study then you can get on with anatomy and perspective and all those things c:

Yah the proko vids are good, they break it down very well

Offline Jamie

• Deleted
    • View Profile
« Reply #796 on: January 05, 2014, 01:35:36 PM »
I SENT A LINK TO A BOOK

DAFUQ BRO'

Offline Callesthe

• On a quest to conquer all man-anuses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #797 on: January 05, 2014, 01:40:22 PM »
As for time wasting: If I meet an epic fail at the end of this road, then I'll have learnt something in the end ala Thomas Edison and his hundreds of failed attempts. If that doesn't convince you then i'm blocking my ears now and going lalala http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3O1_3zBUKM8

Because reinventing the wheel has been proven to be successful  :thumbsup:

Offline legomaestro

• High Chancellor of Righteousness
  • Global Moderator
  • real life has wack graphics
    • View Profile
« Reply #798 on: January 05, 2014, 01:49:15 PM »
And in this metaphor is the wheel manga in general or anatomy?

@ Jamie oops

Offline Jamie

• Deleted
    • View Profile
« Reply #799 on: January 05, 2014, 01:51:02 PM »

@ Jamie oops

The wheel is life. She's telling you not to procreate.

Offline Demonfyre

• View Profile
« Reply #800 on: January 05, 2014, 01:52:25 PM »

@ Jamie oops

The wheel is life. She's telling you not to procreate.

Pls keep up

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwSKkKrUzUk

Offline Callesthe

• On a quest to conquer all man-anuses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #801 on: January 05, 2014, 01:53:41 PM »
@lego: the way of practicing. It's proven that almost all professional artists use the method of practicing through life drawing and 'realistic' anatomy, no matter their artistic style they later on choose to practice. And it is proven to be successful. Reinventing ways to 'study' other than whats helped those great idols you look up to, is a bit, if not totally pointless. Because I daresay that the great mangaka have practiced through life drawing as well :P

@jamie: *he

Offline Demonfyre

• View Profile
« Reply #802 on: January 05, 2014, 01:55:23 PM »
@lego: the way of practicing. It's proven that almost all professional artists use the method of practicing through life drawing and 'realistic' anatomy, no matter their artistic style they later on choose to practice. And it is proven to be successful. Reinventing ways to 'study' other than whats helped those great idols you look up to, is a bit, if not totally pointless. Because I daresay that the great mangaka have practiced through life drawing as well :P

@jamie: *he

Well... you say that now... :p there are some pretty obscure mangas out there... And i'm pretty sure the mangaka of DBZ has no idea what actual faces look like xD
« Last Edit: January 05, 2014, 01:57:50 PM by Demonfyre »

Offline Zealapeal

• Zealous Artist
  • Anti-Despotist
    • View Profile
« Reply #803 on: January 05, 2014, 04:59:37 PM »
Wow on all the backlog. Can I say I had a good laugh?

So I was fed up with failing to emulate a proper manga-style face midnight 1/3/14, and wanted to see how the pro's did it. An acquaintance of mine told me that Tezuka once said 'Manga is a language of symbols' (Don't directly quote me on that) so I wanted to see if this was true. With Vampire Diaries minimized and covering half my screen, I opened Kubo's manga and traced it directly off my laptop screen, sulking all the time about how hard it was to follow Sir Loomis's lessons.

So like.
I'm going to say something on this.

This, "Manga is a language of symbols," thing.

Now I'm not directly quoting you on that (technically, yeah, but...), but there is something that needs to be addressed. Namely:

You're reading it wrong.

He's not referring to how it is drawn. I mean, like... think about this for a second. Sure, you can draw using symbols. Squares. Triangles. Circles. Put 'em together. Make something.

But, this isn't anything revolutionary here. This information is the most basic of basics. Children know this. It's not reinventing a wheel, or a lightbulb, or even a cog in the machine of art.

It's going back to kindergarten.

Spoiler

If we were to look at symbols referring to how the art was drawn, then it would merely be a technical standpoint. And... Surprise! Symbol drawing is bad (plot twist~!). Illustrated by /ic/ here: http://www.squidoo.com/how-to-draw-learn  (Take note on the three paragraphs in the section, "Absolute Beginner: Step One".)

Tezuka didn't mean drawing using symbols. He meant the story. The symbolic meaning everything had. From the characters to the objects they held, from how the story plot itself went to the places and people they met, everything had a meaning.

Tezuka did a manga called, "Buddha." Now, he won the Eisner Award for Volumes 1-2, and another Eisner Award for Volumes 3-4.

Now last I checked, his art in Buddha isn't exactly... Awe-inspiring. Is it good? Yeah. Is it orgasmic in detail? Well...

Look at the difference between these two:

Buddha, vol. 1, pg. 1:
http://www.batoto.net/read/_/123948/buddha_v1-kapilavastu_ch1_by_illuminati-manga

Otoyomegatari, vol. 1, pg. 1:
http://www.batoto.net/read/_/80413/otoyomegatari_v1_ch1_by_iichan-translation-group

Otoyomegatari would win in terms of artwork, and the sheer attention to detail.

Tezuka didn't mean, "Manga is the language of symbols" for drawing.
He meant it for the story. Everything has a meaning beyond what we know it to be. A cup isn't a just a cup anymore, Alice.

This is why he is immortalized. This is why he won awards. For story, not for art.

---
So on this, don't... try to rationalize your practice with that quote. To be frank...
You're doing it wrong.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2014, 05:01:25 PM by Zealapeal »
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Offline legomaestro

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #804 on: January 05, 2014, 06:28:39 PM »
I died at step one on the squidoo link. You've got me stumped there. Still, I'll continue with this for a while yet. It's more honest than saying I'll look into those things because for right now I won't. I have bookmarked them though.

@ Demon and Callesthe thanks for the input

Offline Jamie

• Deleted
    • View Profile
« Reply #805 on: January 05, 2014, 06:34:21 PM »
M8.

Offline legomaestro

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #806 on: January 06, 2014, 12:14:30 PM »

1/6/14 more Kubo symbol studiez

Moving on into more detailed territory, but dangerous territory - lines to map out how the face is divided up. Oh noes, please don't appear ye ungodly mannequins

Anyways

- Ichigo and Byakuya are definately the same face

- 5 chin lengths make up the whole face. I don't know how this will measure up with someone like Chad. Will see, but so far for Byakuya and Ichigo at least Kubo is nailing this proprotion all the time :iconnotbadplz:

-Length of the chin is a bit flexible apparently, depending on the distance the face is to the panel. Sometimes it takes half the face, sometimes it's just a little bit lower. Maybe it'll make more sense when I consider the hair as well

-A duh moment but... Eye shapes make a lot of character. I'm not sure box eyes ever look good. An eye has gotta be almondy I think

- At a farish distance, eyes and nose are only indicated. the mouth isn't even shown. The figure is dominant I think. (When I get to studying those i'll see
At a very far distance Kubo barely indicated the face... apart from making two lines to show its width and a little black for the hair.

- To think that I'd do a study and be able to enjoy myself. Ignorance is bliss? I don't know. I don't care for now.

« Last Edit: August 17, 2017, 01:43:13 AM by reX »

Offline KagePen

• View Profile
« Reply #807 on: January 06, 2014, 01:39:48 PM »
This is quite interesting. I'm going to do a bunch of these studies once I got basic anatomy under my belt.

Offline legomaestro

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #808 on: January 06, 2014, 01:49:21 PM »
Haha thanks pen san. As you know I'm running away from that soul-sucking demon for now. Feels good to be able to do something constantly for once

Offline KagePen

• View Profile
« Reply #809 on: January 06, 2014, 02:02:48 PM »
I don't want to study too much anatomy, just enough to know what's in the bag that fills it out so that I can slick it into manga simplistically.

I'm still building my list of things I want to learn from other manga artists. It's going to be fun learning it all.