April 01, 2020, 04:27:19 AM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: Legomaestro's Art Box  (Read 135868 times)

Offline Basic

• Mr Basic
  • Hi
    • View Profile
Re: Legomaestro's Art Box
« Reply #2160 on: January 29, 2020, 03:23:17 PM »
Haha cheers Coryn. And yeaup pretty long post.

@Basic wow that's out of nowhere and very highly appreciated. I mean, I'm no one to teach anyone anything but I can definitely share my process if it's useful to anyone. For now there's no real 'artists resource' thread but I can make a tutorial in my 'How-To' Board. Thanks again!

Also I've got the book Framed Ink. A lot of it is theory I already know off but it looks really good. I'll see if on a closer read I like it more.

I've always wanted to be able to generate sci-fi backgrounds and the like like concept artsits do and I'm in the rabbit hole of photobashing. Then I discovered it can be done with characters too. Had some huge misses with my attempts but its fun getting used to using references and the like.

I've also got hope of working more with black characters. I just by default don't really want to draw them (along with old people) but I guess if I force myself to use photos I'll have more of them seep into my work.  For now I'm just messing around and having fun. On that note I think I want to try out abstaact stuff.

And this was inspired by a photobasher who made a mech out of their friends face. I tried it tonight with a ballpoint pen. Worked much better than it should've

and bkg thumbnail

COOL COOL ^^
That's right! Certain types of character concept artists almost - if not as much as environmental artists, what's fantastic is it's a separate skill to drawing, and I'm sure we'd all agree the learning curve isn't nearly as steep - but that's the benefit, it's a skill you can learn 'relatively' quickly and produce good results IF you have a good sense for the clients IP.

This allows more room to think about the principles of art with regard to colour, design, proportion etc. you have a little more 'thinking RAM' to use on a set of fundamentals that arguably, contribute more to a complete/quality piece/concept/piece of art than the drawing itself ...if that makes sense??

Are you trying to get into character/environmental concept design?
Hey there, I am using WhatsA- ... oh

Offline legomaestro

• High Chancellor of Righteousness
  • Global Moderator
  • real life has wack graphics
    • View Profile
« Reply #2161 on: January 31, 2020, 03:47:52 AM »
No not at all. I just want to be able to generate ideas better. Maybe make some terrible covers for sci-fi short stories and the like, and develop worlds that I want to build. If anything I want to get into the habit of cheating by using as many photos as possible. I've insisted a lot on using my own internal resources of inspiration for ages and I'm happy where I am, but I think this will give me a boost I'll need.  I'll see.

Finished off another abandoned One-Shot in 2 days. You can see where I left off lel (first page)

Other than dialogue and the last couple of pages I'm happy I could flow through it easy. I'm developing a feel for how to make my manga.  Still too much white though

Alessa

--

Offline MoonFlame

• i used to be an adventurer, just like you
    • View Profile
« Reply #2162 on: January 31, 2020, 04:51:28 AM »
I got really engaged on your story, when i read the end, i even got sad wanting more.

If you one day make a manga, i will surelly read (as long as it is free), you have a lot of imagination and perseverance, if you keep going, you will certainly get there.

Also your pen mecha is quite pretty, if i didnt know she comes from a pen i would become quite surprised if someone told me that.
looks like that's it, got to go...

Offline Basic

• Mr Basic
  • Hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2163 on: February 01, 2020, 09:18:09 AM »
MoonFlame me too, hahaha Lego nice job the first few panels actually made me lol  ;D good job.
I agree - and that's why you have certain AAA studios promoting photobashing concept workflows, efficiency!

Offline legomaestro

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2164 on: February 01, 2020, 10:29:24 AM »
Efficiency is king. I'm always open to finding new tips on that front. And thanks Basic haha. I like strong openings.

@MoonFlame thanks a lot!! I'm happy the story could interest you that much, and those are pretty encouraging words.

Haha my manga will definitely be free to read.

And yeah photobashing coincides with me seeing drawings in scribbles. The human mind can see more stuff than people think. I trust myself more on that front.

Drawing Dump.

Spoiler

I did this to purge Krita from my computer. The text tool is simply too terrible to make it worth learning about the software. Its' crashed my computer all the time and it's so bad even MSPaints' text tool is more effective.

I've hit an exciting new area in my art life right now. I've finally accepted my drawing skill and level as it is, which frees up a heck of a lot of things I've been curious about in general.

Going to have to finish off a bunch of one-shot test pages though. That'll take some time, but I'm learning a lot about what works for me in making storyboards and panelling.

EDIT

Just sort of happened

« Last Edit: February 01, 2020, 01:14:00 PM by legomaestro »

Offline Echo_River

• Mild Observer
  • Need Chips
    • View Profile
« Reply #2165 on: February 01, 2020, 09:23:11 PM »
Really like the third one in the drawing dump there. The soft look of the lines and the style just seem to mesh really well together.
No one is perfect . . . that's why there's erasers and extra paper.
DA: http://neysun.deviantart.com
IG: https://www.instagram.com/neysun_hao/
SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/star-lock

Offline legomaestro

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2166 on: February 02, 2020, 03:49:44 PM »
Cheers Echo! Yeah I'm impartial to both styles. Soft is so much easier on the eyes and I can tone botter with it, but I just love sketchy scratchy lines for some reason too haha.

Finished off another WIP one shot.

Bagel Manga

There's 59 in my WIP Folder and even if I do one a week that'll be A LOT to go through. This is very good. I've already had plans to make doing art and writing as routine as possible rather than a mad rush for the finish. It's going to take ages but I feel learning to pace myself and be regular is going to be infinitely more useful than starting a new project.

(That's not to say I'm not totally impatient to finish off my other comics haha)

« Last Edit: February 02, 2020, 04:08:14 PM by legomaestro »

Offline Basic

• Mr Basic
  • Hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2167 on: February 02, 2020, 05:24:45 PM »
Cheers Echo! Yeah I'm impartial to both styles. Soft is so much easier on the eyes and I can tone botter with it, but I just love sketchy scratchy lines for some reason too haha.

Finished off another WIP one shot.

Bagel Manga

There's 59 in my WIP Folder and even if I do one a week that'll be A LOT to go through. This is very good. I've already had plans to make doing art and writing as routine as possible rather than a mad rush for the finish. It's going to take ages but I feel learning to pace myself and be regular is going to be infinitely more useful than starting a new project.

(That's not to say I'm not totally impatient to finish off my other comics haha)

DUDE. omfg lol
WHERE were you in my mangaka days! I'd have KILLED to find out how you did the backgrounds (in the latter panels looks like posterise PS filter? idk...) the former stuff actually works for manga style, teach me now right now LOL

Anyway (with regard to your previous post about panel composition) I realised how you instead showed aspects of the environment whilst the characters talked as opposed to the whole area, and then next panel the banner of the shop etc. Was that because of reference limitation? Or actual conscious choice

O.O I'm here with a pen and paper ready for you to spill some knowledgez

Offline Slammer

• : )
    • View Profile
« Reply #2168 on: February 02, 2020, 08:45:34 PM »
interesting stuff lego. I dont fully get the pen thing, but it's cool to see you experimenting.

Offline Coryn

• Director of the MR Science Division
  • Global Moderator
  • Secretly a 13 year old girl.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2169 on: February 09, 2020, 02:58:17 PM »
Cool WIP Lego! The backgrounds really add a surrealism element to the whole thing. Works really well for a comic talking about the concept of modern art!

(No kidding though, I totally had one of those moments too with an art gallery in Kansas City. Would have bought it if it wasn't larger than any one of my apartment walls and cost 5 grand.

Will review stories upon request. My latest arc: http://goo.gl/KYgsfF

Offline Suuper-san

• Professional Overthinker
  • We'll see.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #2170 on: February 10, 2020, 02:04:32 AM »
Wow Lego you've done so much since I last commented. The photobashing is great for making new characters and also using it in a manga - that's awesome! It turned out really good. 59 WIPs huh? If you turned out one a week that'd be literally a serial level output. If it was all the same story you'd have several volumes in a year. Looking forward to them all.
Great individual sketches, great manga,keep it up.
Art: Manga / Fanart / Requests (closed) / Other | Manga Stories: Overdrive / Endlessness
Other: Tutorials / Craft | Feedback & Critique Welcome!!

Offline legomaestro

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2171 on: February 17, 2020, 03:04:04 PM »
One a week would be something else hahaha. I might as well do it. Really feeling the itch to do more sequential art now.

@Coryn Thankee! And yeah I noticed haha. It worked out much better than I thought.

Which piece was it? Someone famous?

@Slammer Photobashing.  It's weird but I saw someone do exactly that. Made a mech out of the face of his friend.

@Basic Hahaha there's not much I can share I'm afraid. But I definitely hit limitations for my references - Sort of felt in a loop hole of the same references and a lot that didn't fit the scene I had in mind. I definitely need to practice more to be better.

A dump before that happens

Offline legomaestro

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2172 on: March 05, 2020, 01:45:29 PM »
Pencil2d is a good boi. I'm going to make a bunch of these and see if it's possible to fix them up to make different characters look the same. Also a very practical application to my stick figures regimen.

Offline Suuper-san

• Professional Overthinker
  • We'll see.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #2173 on: March 06, 2020, 03:00:20 AM »
weird I thought I commented on the last post but I apparently didn't.
really nice set of sketches and the lines are super neat, like even though they are sketchy they all line up with each other and looks more deliberate. nice to see the large eyes style developing.

and animation? awesome!
I'm still putting off my animation until after my manga probably haha. too hard to maintain accuracy for each frame T_T
that running animation is pretty spot on.

see if it's possible to fix them up to make different characters look the same
What do you mean, like to keep consistency between frames?
either way can't wait for more XD
Art: Manga / Fanart / Requests (closed) / Other | Manga Stories: Overdrive / Endlessness
Other: Tutorials / Craft | Feedback & Critique Welcome!!

Offline legomaestro

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2174 on: March 07, 2020, 08:19:23 AM »
Yeah. Definitely going to need to use keyframing to have action work out. Or at least make rudimentary thumbnails. Guessing what happens next is an absolute mind drain

And yes. Consistency is the word