February 21, 2020, 01:07:04 PM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: Legomaestro's Art Box  (Read 129801 times)

Offline legomaestro

• High Chancellor of Righteousness
  • Global Moderator
  • real life has wack graphics
    • View Profile
Re: Legomaestro's Art Box
« Reply #2145 on: January 16, 2020, 04:21:45 PM »
I was being sarcastic hahaha. At the time at least. A bit more optimistic now but wasn't feeling 2020 at all.

Haha thanks Coryn

@ Slammer an artist I found that really inspired me because of the weird bug eye style. Happy new year too

A misbegotten bum-bum if I ever drew one.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2020, 05:05:20 PM by legomaestro »

Offline legomaestro

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2146 on: January 17, 2020, 09:32:52 AM »

Yes, I'm in love with MsPaint again.

I'll see if I can improve on these in paint and other software and use them for the next couple of days for Drawing Survival

Offline suuper-san

• Professional Overthinker
  • I have no idea what I am doing XD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2147 on: January 18, 2020, 03:52:06 AM »
awesome sketches, you always produce very distinct unique characters.
and great idea to work to improve them, I look forward to it.
you can only get so far with a single iteration of a sketch before you need to improve it by starting again/ a new layer. especially if your guidelines are on the same layer the first sketch will never be a finished piece.
Art: Manga / Fanart / Requests (closed) / Other | Manga Stories: Overdrive / Endlessness
Other: Tutorials / Craft | Feedback & Critique Welcome!!

Offline Coryn

• Director of the MR Science Division
  • Global Moderator
  • Secretly a 13 year old girl.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2148 on: January 19, 2020, 08:47:01 PM »
A misbegotten bum-bum if I ever drew one.

Complete alien above the neck, all human below.

Will review stories upon request. My latest arc: http://goo.gl/KYgsfF

Offline Daisetsu-bushido

• View Profile
« Reply #2149 on: January 21, 2020, 03:32:27 PM »
Wow Lego! Happy New Year! :)
I guess I'd recognize your works everywhere. I like this sense of uniqueness in your characters - especially in the latest submission.
Your sketchy lines are kinda your trademark :).

Offline legomaestro

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2150 on: January 22, 2020, 03:13:29 PM »
Hahaha thanks Daisetsu. It bothers me a lot more these days but I really do feel at home when I'm going with sketchiness.

@ Coryn hahahahaha XD

@suuper Cheers dude. And I really hope to iterate the *censored* out of things eventually

My slant is legendary

Sequential thumbnails. Not quite sure what the backstory is about but I'm thinking off the top of my head dude is a slacker who joined a group of monster hunters and somehow survived a massacre with the help of one of the best hunters in the world. He tags along with her on a journey.  That's the vibe I got. I'd need to think longer to actually make a concrete story. It was fun though. Easier to work with at least, but backgrounds vanish at the speed of light when I work on comics. Need more open shots.

I decided to adapt these thumbnails from my thumbnail regimen. This felt pretty fast in comparision to other comics, but I guess it's because it's panel to panel rather than comic pages. Not sure how I feel about the flow, but it was fun.

Spoiler

« Last Edit: January 22, 2020, 04:25:26 PM by legomaestro »

Offline legomaestro

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2151 on: January 22, 2020, 08:01:16 PM »
Finished another comic on a whim. So now I know I can churn out these things.

Story is about a mass murdering magician that almost unleashes death in a town, taken down by magician hunters. Yay hunters. Very original, much wow.

I'll work on cleanup much later down the line, but it's really nice knowing I can tackle old projects I left alone. This is from an earlier prompt page that I used to try to give tips on making a comic. The original prompt being that first page I made.

Really frustrated with Kritas' text tool. I'll be using Gimp for pages.

Spoiler

Offline suuper-san

• View Profile
« Reply #2152 on: January 23, 2020, 02:06:50 AM »
The thumbnails to panels (as opposed to manga pages) is a nice idea as you don't have to worry about layout so much, it's more about content and developing the idea. I might steal that.
And it was really nicely executed. The flies were a good comedic element.

The developed manga pages were also awesome. I certainly recommend working with old ideas of course. The only gripe with the story is that there wasn't enough context to justify killing the magician - he's not done anything bad so it feels a little strange. I know its not a final idea but that's what I thought.

But, how do you organize yourself, and keep a track of art physically or digitally. Like you said this is from an old idea, did you store it somewhere separately or just loosely with everything else? Do you organize by date or more by genre/type? I'm curious now. Because I imagine that you would want to keep all the pages of a single manga together for sure. Does each manga get it's own folder, even just half done ones like these two recent ones?

Secondly - how do you get ideas for the panel layouts and stuff? I struggle with composition, I'm just wondering if it's because I dont have enough practice yet, or there's a bit of a method behind it.
I'm thinking a sequential thumbnail page like what you did might be a good intermediate step.
Art: Manga / Fanart / Requests (closed) / Other | Manga Stories: Overdrive / Endlessness

Offline legomaestro

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2153 on: January 23, 2020, 06:32:34 PM »
Sequential thumbnails are definitely where it's at. The funny thing is you underestimate how useful they are for months (at least I did) but now that regimen has become a gold mine for possible comic test pages.

How to get panel layout ideas: I definitely cannot visualize space in any sense of the word. I can really imagine it if I try but my hand betrays me so I am very iconic in my process. If I want to draw a scene then I break it up into

SIZE, Things and (Shapes)        - in no strict order. Sometimes the three switch places.

e.g

I want to draw a coffee shop scene so I'll think

1. Coffee Shop, LARGE ESTABLISHING PANEL, (2 Main Rectangles for the shop , Smaller Rectangles that represent windows and the sign at the front)

2. SMALLER PANEL, Dude sitting at table, (Stick figure sitting at thin cube for table with 2 rectangles for coffee cup. Squiggly lines to represent heat.

3. SMALLER PANEL, Coffee cup, (Two rectangles for coffee cup with text on coffee cup/ simple logo)

4. MEDIUM PANEL, Side view of dude speaking to another dude and gesturing at him, (Two stick figures in front of two rectangles for coffee table, two rectangles for coffee cup and polygons for chairs)

What I want to express with the whole shape-based-thinking thing is that when I think of an apple in a thumbnail scene I absolutely only think of it as a circle with a rudimentary top-left/top-right shine circle on it. I'd love to say I see the apple in all its weight and even all its strokes and rendering but that's not how my head works.   I have a very 2d, 'This thing here this thing there' way of thinking up scenes, and sometimes I have happy accidents, but it's quite mechanical (unfortunately.)

I find solace in the fact that it seems even the professionals believe in scribbles and large shapes to build up intricate scenes. Heck, even the absolute legend Mobius inspires me because he manages to create grand vistas with such seemingly 2d looking backgrounds. I think that if you can fake it well enough, the actual mechanical drawing of what the mind imagines can even surpass what the mind imagines... If that makes sense? I doubt it does.

A more practical list of how I come up with panel layout ideas is scenes. I am very shounen manga dudes-with-swords oriented so my ideas usually consist of

1- Wide shot, close up, wide shot (e.g 2 characters face off, one character says something mean, the two characters rush eachother)

2- A wide shot with a description of a postapocalyptic/ dystopian background (e.g I draw a horizontal line and one huge rectangle and say 'This is an ancient tower, where the last humans live.')

3- Pinterest

4- Just throw rectangles, circles and triangles together in a scene and decide which is a character and which is part of the backgrounds.

5- Create only  dialogue first between two people and then imagine the scenes around them (e.g A: I'm hungry B: Dude you already ate,  A: that wasn't enough B: You literally, literally ate two cows). That sort of conversation automatically makes your brain come up with ideas of how to panel such a conversation. It could be aliens outside of a field. It could be ravenous werewolves.... It doesn't even need to be a fantasy. It could just be two kids coming from McDonalds.

Re: Magician haha well the dude was definitely evil. He was going to incant an insta-kill spell. It's why her Magic Kevlar vanished - he cast a death spell and she survived because of the armour. It's also why she lost an arm later so yeah magician dude is not-quite-the-goodie in this case )

Re: Naming things

Funny that you mention that.

The most organized I've gotten right now is having a Comics folder with 'Complete' and 'WIP' folders within.
It's a sad state of affairs. As of now, in my entire hobby as an artist I have 17 'Complete' and 63 'WIPs'. I have way too many sketch comics hahahaha.

Well, let's call that 62. Finished another old abandoned project.

Offline suuper-san

• View Profile
« Reply #2154 on: January 24, 2020, 03:02:33 PM »
The funny thing is you underestimate how useful they are for months (at least I did) but now that regimen has become a gold mine for possible comic test pages.
yes I think often our growth comes not in changes in skill, but in changes in attitude, i.e. seeing value in XYZ when we didn't before. Drawing daily was one of the most recent ones for me.
I will definitely be doing sequential stuff soonish. Although rather than manga panels, it will probably manifest as illustrations in the daily life of a character. that's one of my test projects I've got in the pipeline. but manga panels are on the list too haha

I love your fight scenes, they look like you properly visualize each step in your mind. nice ending too.
also interesting style shift. good to try out different styles. that's what my 'Overdrive' was meant to be until I got too serious. I think I prefer the first half stylewise, but the second still has the undersketch which is a little distracting.

The most organized I've gotten right now is having a Comics folder with 'Complete' and 'WIP' folders within.
I think that's a decent start for organisation though. Does each manga get its own title or are they like manga1 manga2 etc? I imagine you're good at coming up with titles on the fly.

Offline Basic

• Mr Basic
  • Hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2155 on: January 25, 2020, 04:06:06 PM »
Sequential thumbnails are definitely where it's at. The funny thing is you underestimate how useful they are for months (at least I did) but now that regimen has become a gold mine for possible comic test pages.

How to get panel layout ideas: I definitely cannot visualize space in any sense of the word. I can really imagine it if I try but my hand betrays me so I am very iconic in my process. If I want to draw a scene then I break it up into

SIZE, Things and (Shapes)        - in no strict order. Sometimes the three switch places.

e.g

I want to draw a coffee shop scene so I'll think

1. Coffee Shop, LARGE ESTABLISHING PANEL, (2 Main Rectangles for the shop , Smaller Rectangles that represent windows and the sign at the front)

2. SMALLER PANEL, Dude sitting at table, (Stick figure sitting at thin cube for table with 2 rectangles for coffee cup. Squiggly lines to represent heat.

3. SMALLER PANEL, Coffee cup, (Two rectangles for coffee cup with text on coffee cup/ simple logo)

4. MEDIUM PANEL, Side view of dude speaking to another dude and gesturing at him, (Two stick figures in front of two rectangles for coffee table, two rectangles for coffee cup and polygons for chairs)

What I want to express with the whole shape-based-thinking thing is that when I think of an apple in a thumbnail scene I absolutely only think of it as a circle with a rudimentary top-left/top-right shine circle on it. I'd love to say I see the apple in all its weight and even all its strokes and rendering but that's not how my head works.   I have a very 2d, 'This thing here this thing there' way of thinking up scenes, and sometimes I have happy accidents, but it's quite mechanical (unfortunately.)

I find solace in the fact that it seems even the professionals believe in scribbles and large shapes to build up intricate scenes. Heck, even the absolute legend Mobius inspires me because he manages to create grand vistas with such seemingly 2d looking backgrounds. I think that if you can fake it well enough, the actual mechanical drawing of what the mind imagines can even surpass what the mind imagines... If that makes sense? I doubt it does.

A more practical list of how I come up with panel layout ideas is scenes. I am very shounen manga dudes-with-swords oriented so my ideas usually consist of

1- Wide shot, close up, wide shot (e.g 2 characters face off, one character says something mean, the two characters rush eachother)

2- A wide shot with a description of a postapocalyptic/ dystopian background (e.g I draw a horizontal line and one huge rectangle and say 'This is an ancient tower, where the last humans live.')

3- Pinterest

4- Just throw rectangles, circles and triangles together in a scene and decide which is a character and which is part of the backgrounds.

5- Create only  dialogue first between two people and then imagine the scenes around them (e.g A: I'm hungry B: Dude you already ate,  A: that wasn't enough B: You literally, literally ate two cows). That sort of conversation automatically makes your brain come up with ideas of how to panel such a conversation. It could be aliens outside of a field. It could be ravenous werewolves.... It doesn't even need to be a fantasy. It could just be two kids coming from McDonalds.

Re: Magician haha well the dude was definitely evil. He was going to incant an insta-kill spell. It's why her Magic Kevlar vanished - he cast a death spell and she survived because of the armour. It's also why she lost an arm later so yeah magician dude is not-quite-the-goodie in this case )

Re: Naming things

Funny that you mention that.

It's a sad state of affairs. As of now, in my entire hobby as an artist I have 17 'Complete' and 63 'WIPs'. I have way too many sketch comics hahahaha.

Well, let's call that 62. Finished another old abandoned project.

Ugh. Lego where were you in my life when I wanted to be a mangaka,  I love the idea of just putting squares and rectangles into a panel and deciding which one contributes to BG or character elements. Your panel layout sense would be a massive help to sequential artists; isn't there a study resource thread here? I think many an amateur mangaka would benefit from your set up alone with panels (with regards to establing shots: 2 big panels and smaller for store name... etc)

I know it's your style but just reading over your message I can see the logic. Btw have you read 'Framed ink'? It's a really good book on composition, lighting etc and how can weild those tools in storytelling. You probably have but defo defo check it out if not.
Hey there, I am using WhatsA- ... oh

Offline Coryn

• Director of the MR Science Division
  • Global Moderator
  • Secretly a 13 year old girl.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2156 on: January 26, 2020, 10:48:33 PM »
Hurrah hurrah for sequences! (I wont quote here because this is getting rediculously long)

Will review stories upon request. My latest arc: http://goo.gl/KYgsfF

Offline legomaestro

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2157 on: January 27, 2020, 06:39:58 PM »
Haha cheers Coryn. And yeaup pretty long post.

@Basic wow that's out of nowhere and very highly appreciated. I mean, I'm no one to teach anyone anything but I can definitely share my process if it's useful to anyone. For now there's no real 'artists resource' thread but I can make a tutorial in my 'How-To' Board. Thanks again!

Also I've got the book Framed Ink. A lot of it is theory I already know off but it looks really good. I'll see if on a closer read I like it more.

I've always wanted to be able to generate sci-fi backgrounds and the like like concept artsits do and I'm in the rabbit hole of photobashing. Then I discovered it can be done with characters too. Had some huge misses with my attempts but its fun getting used to using references and the like.

I've also got hope of working more with black characters. I just by default don't really want to draw them (along with old people) but I guess if I force myself to use photos I'll have more of them seep into my work.  For now I'm just messing around and having fun. On that note I think I want to try out abstaact stuff.

And this was inspired by a photobasher who made a mech out of their friends face. I tried it tonight with a ballpoint pen. Worked much better than it should've

and bkg thumbnail

« Last Edit: January 27, 2020, 06:43:44 PM by legomaestro »

Offline legomaestro

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2158 on: January 28, 2020, 07:32:24 AM »

Offline legomaestro

• Global Moderator