November 17, 2019, 05:55:35 AM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: Legomaestro's Art Box  (Read 121964 times)

Offline suuper-san

• I have no idea what I am doing XD
    • View Profile
Re: Legomaestro's Art Box
« Reply #2115 on: July 26, 2019, 10:58:06 AM »
wow nice and mysterious and we're only at page 3. what happens next????!?!?!?!
Art: Manga / Fanart / Requests (closed) / Other | Manga Stories: Overdrive / Endlessness
Other: Tutorials / Craft | Feedback & Critique Welcome!!

Offline Walter B

• View Profile
« Reply #2116 on: August 02, 2019, 03:35:32 AM »
That rain effect is pretty neat

Facebook       Patreon

Offline legomaestro

• High Chancellor of Righteousness
  • Global Moderator
  • real life has wack graphics
    • View Profile
« Reply #2117 on: October 25, 2019, 04:43:03 PM »

This is Jerry

Offline suuper-san

• View Profile
« Reply #2118 on: October 26, 2019, 05:14:54 AM »
nice and mysterious.
I really like the digital style you've got going there lego, did you use multiple layers to build up the sketch or just drew it as-is? I feel that it's a lot neater than your ink sketches, but the sketchyness is still there and looks nice.
good use of solid blacks, gotta do that myself.
Art: Manga / Fanart / Requests (closed) / Other | Manga Stories: Overdrive / Endlessness

Offline Coryn

• Director of the MR Science Division
  • Global Moderator
  • Secretly a 13 year old girl.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2119 on: October 26, 2019, 12:01:10 PM »
Ugg... Otherworldly tentacles coming out of my back I could handle, but dripping wet ones? You'd never get a comfortable night's rest again!

Will review stories upon request. My latest arc: http://goo.gl/KYgsfF

Offline legomaestro

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2120 on: November 03, 2019, 06:26:38 PM »
You're lucky I didn't channel Keane's burger and add extra ickiness.

I would totally like otherworldy tentacles though. Could be a cool party trick.

@Suuper it was totally only one layer haha. I just went at it slower. I think the stick figure regimen is helping

Offline suuper-san

• View Profile
« Reply #2121 on: November 04, 2019, 12:54:52 AM »
nice characters!
I love how you can sketch without guidelines for your character sketches, I'm too reliant on accuracy to try and get anything creative. I did manage one time to be creative by trying to deliberately ignore accuracy, so might try that again sometime :P

Offline legomaestro

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2122 on: November 04, 2019, 05:47:42 AM »
Haha while I need more order and planning in my life you need a little more flow. We can teach eachother maybe XD

I've always seen it: The more sketchy the more energy a drawing has. I think there's a book that focuses on that sort of thing about Force Drawing and the like. I would like to pick it up again

Offline suuper-san

• View Profile
« Reply #2123 on: November 04, 2019, 04:20:34 PM »
We can totally teach each other. There is a lot to be learnt from other artists definitely, especially those who are very different from ourselves, because their experience is so drastically different.
I have always felt that other than a similar hard working slogging attitude that we share, we are almost complete opposites in style and workflow haha
But the problems we hit are so strangely similar, and often at similar times as well :P
I'm totally going on a "loosen up by copying Lego's drawings" regime haha

getting energy and flow into drawings is something that comes and goes for me, mostly I don't have it but occasionally I suddenly feel like everything balances right and my lines are bolder and more flowy.

Offline legomaestro

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2124 on: November 10, 2019, 01:47:54 PM »
Haha I couldn't express it better.

If you check this topic out then here goes nothing: By heavily referencing one of your images I've come this far with a sketch. This is the part where I rage quit and don't pay attention to detail. I definitel could've rubbed out lines or even left it in its sketchy state but I sort of want to grayscale it and lineart at least.

Funny thing is stopping on purpose has made the drawing cost me less energy. There's a lot of potential in that. If I can 'trick' myself into saying my drawings are sketches maybe I can come back and successfully pimp them out. I'll see what happens here.

TEACH ME. SUUPER SAN. What do you do from here. Line art? Should I fix the pose?

Offline suuper-san

• View Profile
« Reply #2125 on: November 10, 2019, 02:48:44 PM »
If I can 'trick' myself
Dude, don't say it out loud, you'll hear you!

But that's exactly the reason for my convoluted methodology that I currently have. It's 100% stress free and therefore incredibly productive and creative. It's a form of procrastination, but in a good way XD

And of course I check this topic out, don't be a stranger :P
That's a great sketch. It's uncannily familiar :P

My workflow is in the middle of a revamp which makes it hard to give a definite reply, but generally I have a lower bound of accepted accuracy for my art (as well as level of energy put in), anything that falls below the quality level gets fixed until it is above the level, but I never fix it to be perfect. It's too time consuming. (my non-existent masterpiece-level ignores this and fixes until perfect)

So generally, if you can see something that needs fixing, then fix it. If there is a lot that doesn't need fixing, then just draw the part that needs fixing on a new layer and erase the old, or erase first and redraw on the same layer.

Personally for my style, I would do a cleanup stage over that sketch, to finalize the lines but keep it sketchy and flowy, add more clothing details such as folds, hems, lace, ribbons etc, double check proportions match such as arm length, shoulder widths etc. Where you have drawn frills, I would go over and finalise their positions so it's all ready for inking. Inking shouldn't have to be a strain, you should be able to follow the sketch quite easily, but that's my personal style.

The advantage of knowing how many edit layers are ahead of you means you can leave some things for the future you, and it's more time efficient. So I have a quality control check at each stage to make sure it actually can be fixed by the next iteration.

It's better to spend more time on the lower quality end, the first few iterations, to make sure that the figure,face and basic clothing is drawn correctly before starting to add details. It saves a lot of time. For example with my eyes, I never draw the pupil or light highlights in any of my sketches, I just leave the eye blank and render it later.

Here's an image version of my sketch levels:raw concept,finished concept,finished sketch, cleaned sketch,lineart. I dont have a recent lineart that's the quality I would like at hand.
Spoiler

You certainly don't need that many levels but it helps me to break down stuff more effectively and to get a lot of chances to fix stuff.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2019, 02:50:19 PM by suuper-san »

Offline Coryn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2126 on: November 10, 2019, 04:09:05 PM »
Am in the right topic? Who's this posting under Lego's name?! We've been infiltrated!

Seriously good job! Heavily referenced as you say, it's still quite the departure! Cutting the drawing process into at least two pieces might just be the thing for you Lego. If you can clearly say "this is done to this degree" you can step away from it guilt free. You can at least say something is completed, which is a lot. And taking the stress away really is the key. Remember that you're doing this for FUN! If it becomes painful to you, then you're not doing it right! A hobby should never feel like a job. But I digress, stress management is the key. It's part of the reason writing on my phone is so successful personally. I'm already on their because I wanted to dick around on my phone for a while. It's just a bonus that I can be creating something while I do it!

Offline legomaestro

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2127 on: November 10, 2019, 05:47:13 PM »
Mwahahaha! I'm his nefarious little brother, Leggomyeggomaestro!

Thanks a lot Coryn. I'm figuring out super late to the game that there is a method out there for me that not only makes things easier, but makes art fun for me - just like things have worked out with your smart phone me. I'm really good at thinking myself into tunnels, but it's a fun discovery to think about that.

I've got all the digital tools (and gawd knows analogue too in forms of thousands of drawing instruments and paper) so all I need to do is try out some little changes that work for me.

Also if you haven't noticed I'm totally betraying Mspaint for a minute. I still feel like messing around in the program sometimes, but I gotta say I love me some photoshop quite a bit. Thank goodness CS2 is free.

@suuper

Hahaha I won't say it out loud next time XD And I can imagine.

Also effecient procrastination for the win.

I employed some of the tips you gave me. I think I could do more with the frills and find it super impressive you work with those. Also her hands are just sort of doing nothing haha. If I try another one I want her to be interacting with something.

This was really fun doing. I guess I should be looking for more inspiration on the forum as well when I want to learn something. Time to go to Keanes' art topic and steal some ideas muhuhahahaha

Spoiler

I'm really pleased with how this turned out - I still believe in sketchiness but this really was fun!

Offline suuper-san

• View Profile
« Reply #2128 on: November 11, 2019, 02:44:29 PM »
woah super awesome!
and also it's finished, not a sketch!!!!
I like the little bits of extra dark hatching, I think you could use that more boldly everywhere as a shading style and it would look good, even with a shadow cel shade underneath. I think the hand shading is a bit too strong compared to the rest, but that might be more of trying to hide the hand if you don't feel confident it looks right.
the proportions went a bit One Piece compared to the previous one, which is more of an unrealistic style but not bad.
good shading on the neck - people often forget the shade on the collarbone which makes it so much more realistic.

And it's a very good idea to get away from the hands doing nothing pose, literally that's all I do for 99% of my drawings and I'm only just now getting out of it a little. Sometimes having the object they interact with as a starting point for the sketch can lead to some solid ideas.

I have some secret techniques I use for frills but really they fall into only a few categories - edging, bunched edging, overlays, combined, and that's all I can think of. Once you draw the basic guideline of the path the fabric follows you can follow and add the detail itself. I frequently copy manga rather than real life because real life often looks awful and messy but manga looks neat and cute. Google lace edging or frills to get some nice ideas.

Looking forward to the improved ideas and different style!

Offline Coryn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2129 on: November 12, 2019, 07:28:51 PM »
Your dedication to the old Paint is admirable, but y'know, nothing wrong with making it your side piece. It's fine to have fun in your early days, but for a life partner, you really need a more fleshed out partner to keep you warm at night. (This metaphor is running away from me)