November 18, 2018, 07:46:01 AM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: Legomaestro's Art Box  (Read 96624 times)

Offline Coryn

• Director of the MR Science Division
  • Global Moderator
  • Secretly a 13 year old girl.
    • View Profile
Re: Legomaestro's Art Box
« Reply #1950 on: June 18, 2018, 07:44:23 AM »
Truly. But you know, it's no good to concentrate on something to the point where you're neglecting other things.

Will review stories upon request. My latest arc: http://goo.gl/KYgsfF

Offline OviumNoir

• Power comes in response to a need, not a desire.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1951 on: June 18, 2018, 10:37:18 AM »
Bleach is the best with dramatic close ups. Right now I want to focus on zooming out though to level up my backgrounds a little. It's so hard to show the scale of an explosion without em.

And dude yes that music video is AAA. The cinematography is worthy of an award haha.

I agree, now that you mentioned it I can see the inspiration in your work. However yes don't forget the backgrounds - although if you're following Kubo style neglecting them won't be so bad lol! He enjoys negative space and likes to contrast white empty space with intense chars, along with his cool cross-hatching style. But yes some panels a la establishing shots (if you're doing panel work) will demand backgrounds as you know already  :dance:
When you TALK, you are only repeating what you already know - but if you LISTEN, you may learn something new.

Offline Walter B

• View Profile
« Reply #1952 on: June 18, 2018, 12:51:20 PM »
I like the pose on the third.

Facebook       Patreon

Offline Coach Fro

• Head Coach and Founder of The MR Fighters Division
  • Coach by day, Gravedigger by night...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1953 on: June 18, 2018, 06:26:51 PM »
Run the Jewels is such a dope rap duo.

And more close up shots indeed. You actually pull em off pretty well.
Messatsu...

Offline suuper-san

• Anyone need a wall of text?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1954 on: June 25, 2018, 04:48:04 PM »
I like the way some of the simpler backgrounds are rendered in Bleach to give materials like concrete etc. Its given me a few ideas along the way. I much prefer the rich, tight backgrounds in, say, Blue Exorcist though. Very cool.

I've been reading fire brigade of flames too, very cool (as usual had to google the English name cos I only knew the Japanese lol). I see what you mean about word associations, I think. Gotta get out of my comfort zone bigtime.

Good bad jokes.
Those afros, though. Cant avoid them, can you? :P

Offline legomaestro

• High Chancellor of Righteousness
  • Global Moderator
  • real life has wack graphics
    • View Profile
« Reply #1955 on: August 23, 2018, 04:14:29 PM »
Afros make the world go round.

I need to read Blue Exorcist again. Forgot where I left off

@Fro Well I'm hoping to pull off distant one too at a point .

meh.

Offline suuper-san

• View Profile
« Reply #1956 on: August 24, 2018, 01:02:57 AM »
Afros make the world go round.
I knew it!

I need to read Blue Exorcist again. Forgot where I left off
lol, same :P
Ao no Exorcist had some of the best backgrounds in any manga I read.

awesome page of characters. the checkered shirt on has a lot of personality. by the way, you can sharpen up your lines on paint by using a white brush/eraser to remove places where you have excess line buildup. very clear neat faces and expressions for all three, and good hair too.

Offline MahluaandMilk

• Queen of Lurking Losers / Ms. Fanservice
  • Resident Witchipedia
    • View Profile
« Reply #1957 on: October 30, 2018, 03:41:27 PM »
Hey hey, the MSPaint man. Now that I'm back in the business, you can be that I'll be catching up to you in no time. Especially considering one of my fwb--I mean roommates is an art major who specializes in digital painting.

Offline legomaestro

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1958 on: October 31, 2018, 08:50:20 PM »
Well a fellow MSpaint slinger is always welcome. Or wait are you working with more legit software?

@suuper Indeed, the backgrounds are phenomenal in that manga. And lines, lines lines. I hate them, I like them. I understand why clarity is important, but my instincts just tell me to go wild. Case in point, Suzie, my latest.

Haven't winged it and drawn in a while. Fun times.

Offline Daisetsu-bushido

• View Profile
« Reply #1959 on: November 01, 2018, 07:20:35 AM »
Those scratchy lines on your works makes them very easy to identify as a unique trait of your style. I think some people who likes much clearer works with lineart in a form of a single line may not like them but it's your style after all - and it's impossible to satisfy everyone no matter in what style you're making your works. And it's the originality that we should aim for!
And that's what I like in your works. They give this very wild and dynamic feeling which is rarely seen.

Keep it up! :). And I hope you're doing well.

Offline suuper-san

• View Profile
« Reply #1960 on: November 02, 2018, 04:02:21 PM »
I think "going wild" is a good starting point. I'm starting to see how different mindsets affect different stages of the design process, so being spontaneous and crazy is great for an initial sketch, which gives you the beginning of a good idea, but then you have to switch to logical and sensible to increase the quality and accuracy, otherwise, it's wild all the way through and you miss that top end quality :P

nice character. the arms and legs remind me of a puppet, like they are all hanging loosely. maybe because the feet are dangling it gives that effect. great shine on the skirt.

Offline legomaestro

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1961 on: November 02, 2018, 07:50:42 PM »
Domo. I used a mannequin as a reference haha. Your eye is like a Byakugan dammit. Anyhow I liked adding something to it bit by bit and she came out as a character. Also I need to learn to work with backgrounds man. It's sad now.

Going wild is my MO. I just don't know the right stage to do construction (if i do it at all).

@Daisetsu thankeee. Well I've always wanted to make it my 'style' but I don't know how much of that is an excuse or not. I've gotta see how things develop over time after doing more regimens.

drew during a call

Spoiler

« Last Edit: November 02, 2018, 08:13:04 PM by legomaestro »

Offline legomaestro

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Parthenium Sketchic
« Reply #1962 on: November 02, 2018, 08:12:04 PM »
Parthenium
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

Note

I literally googled 'Deadliest weed' for the title of this comic. It was and is a release of sorts after drawing the hands. I just wanted to do something to both accomplish old commitments (this is a storyboard for Killer B. Hopefully he's around and interested in drawing it) and to flex my muscles a bit.

Backgrounds are killing me. This definitely deserved at least 30 pages, but I'm happy that I got this excited for something that was based on the simple concept of "A demon fighting robots".

Anyhoo, I hope ye like. Tell me if you understood the story or not before reading next spoiler.

The Story

Or more accurately: The Canon. I didn't place nearly enough details in the story.

Basically there was once a kingdom that became rich and mighty because of their monopolization of magic and knowledge. They summoned a demon to protect their bloodline. This demon, being naturally long lived did his duty well, up until every single human on this planet died off from what humans tend to die of: Being mortal.

But this is not only a world of magic, but a world of science as well. Basically this demon is stuck on a planet that goes through cycles of being barren and rich, and over the millenia different organizations, coalitions and what have you land on the planet, extract resources and leave. It's become common practice to leave a defence/offence mechanism to deter any other groups from benefiting from the planet. (Basically people planting flags on the moon. Except the flags are killer robots.)

The demon, having nothing better to do destroys these machines and watches this cycle repeat itself day after day.

In my head, the story continues when a family crash lands on the planet and he decides to protect them against the next wave of colonists who want to extract minerals from the planet. Things happen. Solitary wars are fought. The family is interesting (I hope) and the father is a stoic man who doesn't believe in magic but counts on the demon to protect his family in the end. The daughter is a genius of ridiculous proportions, the wife has an encyclopedic knowledge of all sorts of mundane cultural rituals and the son is excited about magic and fights.

Also people die.

Or something.

The Storyboard of the Storyboard

« Last Edit: November 03, 2018, 11:35:28 AM by legomaestro »

Offline MahluaandMilk

• Queen of Lurking Losers / Ms. Fanservice
  • Resident Witchipedia
    • View Profile
« Reply #1963 on: November 02, 2018, 08:23:15 PM »
Neat little comic. Jeez, I've spent all day staring at two hundred words on chapter seventeen of Reset, and I'm starting to wonder if my time wouldn't have been better spent doodling...Seems to work out well enough for you guys, lol.

Offline legomaestro

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1964 on: November 02, 2018, 08:31:26 PM »
Doodling, scribbling, Google Docs, sketching. They're looked down upon, but they're the only defence against infinite shanking of life. It sounds dumb, but making constant doodling a habit is a lot less pressure than thinking of 'Wake up every Monday at 4 AM and draw for 2 hours for the next year'.

For real, doing something like that would be great for your artistic life, but I'm not reliable enough to do something that exact. If I were I'd be a millionaire by now with a nekomimi wife or something.