August 21, 2018, 08:16:06 PM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: Kohaku's Improvement Gallery. C and C ENCOURAGED!!  (Read 711 times)

Offline KohakuRiver

• View Profile
Re: Kohaku's Improvement Gallery. C and C ENCOURAGED!!
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2018, 05:02:05 PM »
@mhmd007
That was actually helpful, lol. Never thought I would see a tutorial on butts TBH.
I traced your sketch so you could see it more clearly, sorry if the lineart is a bit messy.
critique
The main thing I want to point out is to use beauty tropes.  As you can see to the right, when you have wider hips you imagine a female (even without drawing the boobs) while the wider shoulders becomes a male. 
 That is why people say hips don't lie because they really don't.

The second thing I want to mention is that generally the height from the head to the crotch is pretty much the same height as the crotch to the bottom of the feet.
 Although the length can vary, generally longer legs are seen as more beautiful.
Anyways, I don't want to overwhelm you with information but I definitely think you have improved the first sketch alot

I understand that the hips should be wider since she is female, but why in the second picture are the feet turned? I think its because of perspective, yes? Also, I would like her to be short, so can I keep the height as it is, but still be anatomically correct?

Offline MahluaandMilk

• Queen of Lurking Losers / Ms. Fanservice
  • Resident Witchipedia
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2018, 07:02:49 PM »
A good rule of thumb would be that yes, shortening limbs and stuff can cause a character to appear younger or shorter, but the proportions must align with each other. I think because of the arms' length, the leg length will continue to look a little off. Proportionally, a fully extended arm should reach somewhere between mid-thigh and just above the knee. That said, the arm facing us is bent but the hand reaches where it theoretically should if it were fully extended and proportionate to the body.

Legs are usually just a bit longer than the arms, so adding length isn't always a terrible idea, even with short characters. You could always add something in the foreground or background to suggest her height in relation to another object (a beach ball, maybe?)

Offline KohakuRiver

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2018, 10:43:31 PM »
OKay, I think I've got it right this time! Sorry about all the scribbles guys for like sketches. I like to work in like 40 layers and then when I get the sketch right I export it and make another file for only Final Sketch+Lineart+background/colors. It's a mess. I realized the problem with the first one is that she didn't have any hips at all and it was like one straight line. Also, I wasn't sure if she was turning back or halfway standing, so I chose one. The hanging arm looked un-natural, so I lifted up both her arms, and shortened the legnth. The legnth of the legs are still the same, but the farther leg is fixed for more natural looking perspective.
Added beachball for minimum effort lol.
I really think this is the final sketch, other than adding clothes, her fingers and toes of course, lol.

Spoiler

Offline MahluaandMilk

• Queen of Lurking Losers / Ms. Fanservice
  • Resident Witchipedia
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2018, 10:48:49 PM »
Ayy, that looks a lot better. Sometimes it takes 40 layers. No shame in that. Right now the only awkward spot I see is right where the "back" shoulder connects to the body. It looks weirdly tacked on or like the shoulders are too broad and that one isn't quite connected to the body right. Everything else looks much better and smoother now, though.

Offline MK

• Super Critic
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2018, 04:35:03 AM »
I agree with Mahlua, that the shoulders are feeling a bit too broad (it's mostly the back that makes it feel like that as it extends the arms out more).  I think you did a great job with her new height if you wanted her to be short because the smaller the person the more the head is bigger in proportion to the body.

Now the reason why the shoulders feel too broad is because when you do have shorter/younger people they tend to also slim down (until you reach babies where they tend to have more fat as their body isn't developed in bone structure or muscle).  You should keep the hips as they since you still want to have the body shape of a woman but I think you should refer back to my picture where I drew the different body types.  Generally as you draw women taller their figure will pop out more as curvy as it symbolizes maturity while again the shorter the more slim.

You mentioned that the arms felt weird and the reason for that is because of how the shoulders are aligned.  Try to stand up, raise your shoulder and place that hand on your hip.  It's going to feel weird because the whole point of resting your hand on your hip is to relax your shoulder.  Having both hands on the hips is one way to balance out the situation.  The other way to balance it out is to have the shoulders angle less (technically the weight bearing hip should

Spoiler
I think you are doing great with the feedback, this is the last critique I'm going to do on the anatomy for this piece no matter which changes you make.  I want you to focus on finishing the piece and I'll go over color if I notice anything.

Quick tip is that you don't want to always spend forever fixing a piece because you want to be able to have experience with several different poses.  Early on in drawing what matters most is the time you put in and getting that mileage. You need to fail several times doing different things to eventually get it right.  If you are worried about the lines that you have already put down then put every layer in a folder then press Ctrl-J which will duplicate the whole thing and you can hide the old version as you edit the new one.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2018, 05:52:40 AM by MK »

Offline KohakuRiver

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2018, 12:22:25 PM »
Ayy, that looks a lot better. Sometimes it takes 40 layers. No shame in that. Right now the only awkward spot I see is right where the "back" shoulder connects to the body. It looks weirdly tacked on or like the shoulders are too broad and that one isn't quite connected to the body right. Everything else looks much better and smoother now, though.

It took me about ten minutes to find what you are talking about. So then I stood up and tried copying the pose I drew and it was PAINFUL, and thats when I realized the farther arm shouldn't be like that Loll.
I agree with Mahlua, that the shoulders are feeling a bit too broad (it's mostly the back that makes it feel like that as it extends the arms out more).  I think you did a great job with her new height if you wanted her to be short because the smaller the person the more the head is bigger in proportion to the body.

Now the reason why the shoulders feel too broad is because when you do have shorter/younger people they tend to also slim down (until you reach babies where they tend to have more fat as their body isn't developed in bone structure or muscle).  You should keep the hips as they since you still want to have the body shape of a woman but I think you should refer back to my picture where I drew the different body types.  Generally as you draw women taller their figure will pop out more as curvy as it symbolizes maturity while again the shorter the more slim.

You mentioned that the arms felt weird and the reason for that is because of how the shoulders are aligned.  Try to stand up, raise your shoulder and place that hand on your hip.  It's going to feel weird because the whole point of resting your hand on your hip is to relax your shoulder.  Having both hands on the hips is one way to balance out the situation.  The other way to balance it out is to have the shoulders angle less (technically the weight bearing hip should

Spoiler
I think you are doing great with the feedback, this is the last critique I'm going to do on the anatomy for this piece no matter which changes you make.  I want you to focus on finishing the piece and I'll go over color if I notice anything.

Quick tip is that you don't want to always spend forever fixing a piece because you want to be able to have experience with several different poses.  Early on in drawing what matters most is the time you put in and getting that mileage. You need to fail several times doing different things to eventually get it right.  If you are worried about the lines that you have already put down then put every layer in a folder then press Ctrl-J which will duplicate the whole thing and you can hide the old version as you edit the new one.

So basically I should just lower the arm, and move it back so the right arm isn't protuding so far out. The left arm does look like it's jutting at too much of an angle.
Now that I got all the sketch done I'm going to work on the background. I think PS might be better for the background because SAI is mostly just colors + linework.

Thanks so much, and I'll update in a day or two :)

Offline MK

• Super Critic
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2018, 07:18:05 PM »
I've used Sai, Photoshop and Manga Studio.  My opinion is that Sai has insane stablizers for line art, Manga Studio has a perspective ruler that snaps your lines and Photoshop has a ton of editing options.  Nowadays I use Photoshop for everything (backgrounds, sketching, coloring, lineart) and I love my dodge tool.  Also the some of the brushes I have are pretty cool too

Offline Walter B

• The Red Tie Devil
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2018, 09:08:15 AM »
Looks good!!

Facebook       Patreon