March 29, 2024, 01:35:47 AM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: Writer Discussion Table  (Read 317753 times)

Offline Coryn

• Director of the MR Science Division
  • Global Moderator
  • Secretly a 13 year old girl.
    • View Profile
Re: Writer Discussion Table
« Reply #1890 on: May 08, 2020, 02:24:02 PM »
Ah, sorta like that movie from a few years ago where the ISS gets taken over by space fungus. Yeah no that's pretty f*cking terrifying as far as horror monsters go. It's like the xenomorphs. With ghosts and werewolves, they're certainly scary concepts, but there's a shared humanity thing going on. When you move on to something completely foreign to the planet itself, then you're tossing in fear of the unknown in there constantly.

I think it was Del Toro who said it though, something like "the best monster is one you can imagine in repose"? I think it's why some of the worst (best) movie "monsters" are just people a lot of the time. It's a lot scarier to imagine that the guy you're watching ax a waitress to death was just doing his grocery shopping in an earlier scene. Makes you look at the guy you're chatting with at the deli counter a little differently next time.  :attack:

Will review stories upon request. My latest arc: http://goo.gl/KYgsfF

Offline Coryn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1891 on: May 20, 2020, 10:25:48 AM »
wHELP, I've officially gone full freshman year of college levels of stir crazy from the isolation. How do I know this? Why am I posting this here? Because last night I started plotting out huge rewrites to CS because I had a good idea trying to fall asleep last night. So huge that I had to open my document of changes to detail out said new idea, and even added a note to the current last page of Arc 3 in order to remind myself of it when I'm finally free enough of War Arc to start working on CS again.

Long story short: I apologize to long time readers when you see the next CS chapter, only for me to make a reference to something that has never come up before, but will have once I get around to writing the second draft of all these books.

God I miss bars....

Offline legomaestro

• High Chancellor of Righteousness
  • Global Moderator
  • real life has wack graphics
    • View Profile
« Reply #1892 on: May 26, 2020, 07:38:58 AM »
Stir craziness stirs up inspiration sometimes.

I too miss bars though. I'll get to them next week because they're already slowly opening my side.

More than anything I'm just super frustrated with not finishing my larger writing projects. At least I'm plugging away at the writing

Offline Coryn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1893 on: May 26, 2020, 07:10:25 PM »
Yeah, I was getting back into the groove these last few weeks, but I failed to write over the holiday weekend (I was, simply put, way too God damned hungover)

Offline legomaestro

• High Chancellor of Righteousness
  • Global Moderator
  • real life has wack graphics
    • View Profile
« Reply #1894 on: May 26, 2020, 07:33:43 PM »
Ah, I did get some legendary hangovers last weekend. Slavik beer. Huge bottles. Little motivation though

Offline Coryn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1895 on: May 27, 2020, 01:42:58 PM »
Oh I had the motivation, which is what makes it so annoying. I just couldn't think straight.

The worst downside or aging is the day long hangovers I tell you. They say they'll grow to two days in your 30s as well. What fun. Can't wait to lose whole weekends and not just Sunday.

Offline Coryn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1896 on: June 28, 2020, 04:27:21 PM »
I gotta tell you, nothing is worse than backwards engineering old stories from an ancient version of Word to work better in google docs. I'm fixing up Arcs 1 and 2 of Coryn's Saga, and realizing that I have an extra return between each line because I either didn't understand that I could set the spacing, or ancient Word didn't have the function yet. Either way, this has turned into quite the thing. All I wanted was to get the chapters into the document outline for reference! I'm hours deep now, and going slowly crazy.

Thank god for wine...  :push:

Offline NO1SY

• Resident Slacker
  • Will eat your cookies
    • View Profile
« Reply #1897 on: June 28, 2020, 06:02:03 PM »
I know you aren’t gonna want to hear this...

But sometimes it is better to re-type the whole think manually... that way you catch mistakes and can make edits as you go...

Good luck regardless and yes! Thanks to booze!

:sure:

Offline Coryn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1898 on: June 28, 2020, 10:21:48 PM »
Trust me, that is eventually the plan, lol. This is more to make completing the final arc easier, and so I can put together an official "first draft" of the entire trilogy. After all these years, I can't say I remember all of the little details and tidbits of my world building off hand. Sometimes you gotta check your work.

Offline Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
  • Anyone need a wall of text?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1899 on: June 30, 2020, 06:02:31 AM »
@Coryn typically you can do a search and replace for returns to remove any doubles. I do that for catching double spaces and the like, replace two with one works wonders as you can repeat it to remove any number more than one.

and yes editing is a nightmare, I'm dreading it when I start writing for real
Art: Illustrations / Fanart / Requests (closed) / Other Art | Manga Stories & Projects
Other Stuff: Tutorials / Craft / Cosplay | Feedback & Critique Welcome!

Offline Coryn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1900 on: June 30, 2020, 11:36:50 AM »
I tried that, but maybe I messed it up because I couldn't get docs to search for returns specifically (or else it just can't). Might give it another shot.

Offline Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1901 on: June 30, 2020, 02:21:05 PM »
Ahhh yeah it can be a tad difficult since you can't type a return in the search box. Try selecting a return and copying it, and then pasting it in the search box. To select a return, start dragging from the very end of one line, to the very beginning of the next. Often if you've done it successfully you wont see any blue selected area. But copying it and pasting it should result in the text getting separated where you paste it. There's also an option (There is in Word, I don't know about docs) to type special characters using a ^ or \ key, like \r\n or ^p etc.
If you want to, you can share the files with me and I'll try and edit them for you. There's nothing more unsettling than repetitive work. (Send me a PM otherwise I wont see it until I'm back in 2 weeks)
« Last Edit: June 30, 2020, 02:24:35 PM by Suuper-san »
Art: Illustrations / Fanart / Requests (closed) / Other Art | Manga Stories & Projects

Offline Coryn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1902 on: June 30, 2020, 11:23:39 PM »
Thanks for the offer Suups, but it's no big deal. It's the kind of thing I can do with one eye while keeping a documentary on in the background. I'm most of the way through just doing that already, lol

Offline Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1903 on: March 27, 2021, 12:01:19 PM »
I've been wondering why one of my stories has been so difficult to develop compared to the others when it's not like I'm short of ideas, and I've realised that writing comedy (heavy comedy that is, like Nichijou) is a bit different from the other genres.

Typically you can plan a story out in rough detail like:
-Adam goes to the shop and buys some chocolate
-He runs into his ex on the way home
-etc

But planning comedy is more like
-Joke #1
-Joke #2
with not much actual plot happening to guide the story, if there is a story at all. So to make any solid development you have to almost write the jokes first and figure out how and when to use them in the story, it feels more like I'm planning a joke book than writing a story.

Could be just I'm not thinking of enough funny things to put in but it feels like comedy can't be planned like a normal story.

any thoughts on that, or tips?

Offline Coryn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1904 on: March 29, 2021, 01:56:34 PM »
There's a tip I heard recently when it comes to writing for late night comedy shoes (think The Tonight Show). It's to just write whatever joke comes to mind, and worry about whether it's actually funny or not later. When writing a lot of jokes, you can't meticulously craft them all, or you're going to get nowhere. It's better to let what hit the page stay until you get another chance to look at it, because more often than not you will be able to return to a joke and punch it up.

Personally, I find that when I write jokes, I just needs to be a stream of consciousness thing. If you spend too long on one, it stops being inventive and interesting, and turns into every joke you hear in a Disney movie. In other words: fine, but predictable.