July 06, 2020, 09:13:14 AM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: Writer Discussion Table  (Read 132430 times)

Offline Suuper-san

• Professional Overthinker
  • We'll see.....
    • View Profile
Re: Writer Discussion Table
« Reply #1875 on: November 30, 2019, 01:00:42 AM »
Awesome.
That's probably partly the reason my posts are long is because I can type fast enough :P
Art: Manga / Fanart / Requests (closed) / Other | Manga Stories: Overdrive / Endlessness
Other: Tutorials / Craft | Feedback & Critique Welcome!!

Offline legomaestro

• High Chancellor of Righteousness
  • Global Moderator
  • real life has wack graphics
    • View Profile
« Reply #1876 on: November 30, 2019, 09:14:52 AM »
I've found it better to just info dump whateever I can when I feel like it, otherwise I'm super lazy with my responses. It's what drives me crazy with instant-messaging: A simple 'Hi.' Doesn't cut it for me these days haha.

Offline legomaestro

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1877 on: March 07, 2020, 06:21:58 AM »
I'm trying an experiment similar to that 'urban writing' thingie that I posted about earlier.

How would you describe your city with single words?

brutalist, gray, students, pubs, cement, trains, boring, ugly, commercial comes to mind for my current living situation, but without context I'm missing quite a bit.

I suspect I need to mention companies or sports teams or the like to really frame the city though.

Anyways how would you describe your home town with singular words that'd make people immediately think: Ah! I know that place!

Offline fcollot

• View Profile
« Reply #1878 on: April 02, 2020, 06:09:02 AM »
Depends. If its my town I would say hedges, quiet, residential, houses, cul-de-sac, families, seniors, pines, lakes, but we're part of a much larger urban center I would describe as flat, stone, historic, port, river, student, wine, rain, aerospace.

Offline legomaestro

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1879 on: April 02, 2020, 08:57:38 AM »
Man I can definitely see a sketch of that town in my head. It's definitely wrong technically but just those words help put ideas in my head. Nice.

Offline Coryn

• Director of the MR Science Division
  • Global Moderator
  • Secretly a 13 year old girl.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1880 on: April 07, 2020, 10:50:04 PM »
Hmm... So many options to choose from. I've had essentially three "home towns" in my life, but I'll go for the current one.

Flat, hilly, rivers, districts, stratified, western, expanse, kind, red, blue, recovering, split, barbeque, football, baseball, beer, open, compiled.

I'm starting to realize that KC is a strange place...

Will review stories upon request. My latest arc: http://goo.gl/KYgsfF

Offline Suuper-san

• Professional Overthinker
  • We'll see.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #1881 on: April 15, 2020, 02:29:53 PM »
That sounds like a nice scene prompt, picking 10 random words to shape the initial direction.
Art: Manga / Fanart / Requests (closed) / Other | Manga Stories: Overdrive / Endlessness
Other: Tutorials / Craft | Feedback & Critique Welcome!!

Offline Coryn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1882 on: April 16, 2020, 11:42:19 AM »
It's definitely good for setting a tone of a place too. We could all come up with an idea like "village", but you could really find a unique direction by listing out 10 choice words to embody what that village is all about.

Offline legomaestro

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1883 on: April 21, 2020, 04:21:39 PM »
I just read from a wikipedia article on Jack Kerouac's On The Road that there is the term Americana. So glad I've found an actual article on it! This is the motherlode of inspiration, my holy grail when it comes to writing (other than getting rich and famous mwahahaha).

Just look at the list of words in there! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Americana

This is exactly what I meant by 'describing a city' with singular words. My hope is to be able to research at least 30% of any foreign land and be able to fake knowledge about it. Like how do I write a story based in Tokyo that's just accurate enough to avoid being too stereotypical and interesting? Yes.

Offline Coryn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1884 on: April 21, 2020, 04:47:40 PM »
Man, I would have never expected that Americana would be a concept that other people would be excited to learn about. I guess every country has some sort of equivalent? Those designations of cultural history? Like if you think of what makes the UK the UK would be things like thatched roofs in country villages, stone fences, Big Ben, full english breakfasts, pubs, the monarchy, grey skies, etc. They're not necessarily at the forefront of everyone's mind, but if you had to narrow down the most *blank* things about *blank* country then they're the things you come up with. I'm honestly surprised that article doesn't link to a blanket term for every nation.

Maybe american's are just so prideful about ourselves that we naturally lend ourselves to such things?

Offline legomaestro

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1885 on: April 21, 2020, 05:01:45 PM »
I think that's definitely it. Like they say ironically... 'MURICA

I think coming close to America you could tag Germany... and then Italians? Or the spanish? But nah the supercharged self-explanatory nature of product placement and terms is all america. It's why I love Stephen King novels. The man can describe the most boring morning scene and you instantly know you're in America. And when it's done by american writers they don't do it to shove it in your face as an anime would make you see a panty shot, it just sort of flows there.

Ah. I bet Canada is the same now that I think of it.

Offline Coryn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1886 on: April 21, 2020, 05:40:19 PM »
You'd have to ask a Canadian (we have a few around last I checked >.>)

I understand Americana, we all see it, and to a degree it definitely provides a sorta warm and fuzzy feeling. It's that feeling of being home. Where all things seem normal and right with the world. Comforting familiarity.

But I think it's one of those things, where a fish doesn't know it's wet. Americans are just Americans. It's the only way we know how to be. Whether you're born here or if you immigrate, I think once you get here it gets into your head. You don't see it as weird, it's just what it is.

I'm beginning to understand why Americans are viewed as arrogant (more so than what I already understood).

Offline Abilkoth

• Looking for a manga artist to work for idea[Free]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1887 on: May 07, 2020, 07:31:16 PM »
Hello my name is Gurmehar and I am new to the forum.
First off all I want to say to make a horror action plot sucessfull you have to include 1 thing of the two:
1)Revenge
2)Ruthless
1st option is pretty common but I want to talk about the second one.
First a question: Are only ghost and Warewolf scary?[btw most scary is a clown  :sadbye: )
Answer is no many genre of horror include other things and I think you should focus on latter.
As for an idea I have been thing idea for a short manga that I want to share with whoever is reading.
:-The story revolves around idea of panspermia. Once a friend become villain in the future. The story starts with discovery of a new species with social awareness. Then the story goes to our MC who befriended one of these creatures but later on it kills its Mom.
Our MC scared as mad with her GF tries her best to escape from the place. Encountering these creatures on the way and fighting them and at last escaping successfully.
[Maybe????]

Offline legomaestro

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1888 on: May 07, 2020, 08:39:19 PM »
Hey Abilkoth. Welcome to the forum.

Ghosts and werewolves are of course scary. I'd say ghosts more than werewolves if done right.

The thing that actually sells horror is having the characters know what is coming. Let them know for sure that there is a werewolf in the woods so that they jump at every little sound while trying to escape. Don't hide the fact of the werewolf or ghost from the reader/viewer. It increases the sense of dread.

What's panspermia?

Offline Abilkoth

• Looking for a manga artist to work for idea[Free]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1889 on: May 08, 2020, 07:02:37 AM »
Hehe I only write things and never publish them cause i dont have any means if you want I can give you many of the half storylines i created.
Secondly - PANSPERMIA
The theory by Richter which states life originated on Earth by means of outer world spores.
Spores- Probably may be seen as Seeds.
Hope it helped.