October 18, 2019, 05:09:01 PM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: Writer Discussion Table  (Read 109549 times)

Offline Funkermonster

• View Profile
Re: Writer Discussion Table
« Reply #1575 on: August 28, 2015, 03:01:13 AM »
If you have a star of the show then you have 1 main character with 3 supporting characters. You can still have multi character stories with someone who will turn out to be favourites, but if you deliberately make him shine then it might not be what you're aiming for.

Other than that it's not easy to say what to do because I know tonnes of superheroes off the top of my head. Heck I could make one up that shoots lasers from his hands. What's important is how the characters interact in the world and not necessarily what they can do.

What's the story about?
I'll try to make it as short as I can:

Its about a 15 year old ninja-in-training schoolboy who steals hi-tech super weapons from a private science & military corporation after spying on them and sneaking by, who planned to use them to attack his hometown & its civilians on a conquest, quite possibly for world domination. He makes his own superhero alter ego (haven't come up with a good name for it yet though) and costume to conceal his identity from them and everyone else, beginning to live a double life as a school student and crime-fighter.  As he holds their weapons, he becomes wanted by them and they begin to hunt him down with a mission to destroy him, and as long as they are bent on world domination he is forced to spend much of his time keeping an eye on and fighting them. As he does this though he grows to dislike his new job as he sacrifices is time for his hobbies, school life, and worst of all: time to spend with his 3 best friends, starting to isolate himself from them and leading his gang to become suspicious of him and question his loyalty. But as he tries to conceal his double life, its difficult to let them know what he's doing and what he's going through,  To up the ante, he has unluckily allowed a civilian girl to catch a glimpse of one of his battles and discover his identity, and has recorded it on video. She has taken a personal interest in him and becomes involved in his missions, acting as his one and only partner in his war and helping him out in whatever ways she can. At the same time though, she also blackmails him using the video she recorded to force him to do whatever she wants him to, otherwise she'll upload it to the internet for all to see and potentially jeopardize his mission and even his life; essentially making her his new frenemy. How long can or will he keep this up? Is his secret safe with that girl? Is there something he can do to protect his friends and is friendship?

The synopsis kinda sucks atm and I'm still workin' on it (specifically on shortening the description somehow, something I generally struggle with in general), but I hope it at least lets you see where its going. Basically want to make subplots for his 3 friends I mentioned and show what goes on with them at home, with each other, or when their friend is not too busy with his escapades.

Offline legomaestro

• High Chancellor of Righteousness
  • Global Moderator
  • real life has wack graphics
    • View Profile
« Reply #1576 on: August 28, 2015, 04:58:15 AM »
Man that is quite the wacky story. Seems like it could have a lot of potential to be both hilarious and serious at the same time. I'd say start working on how they look in your head I guess, try to make them more alive before you start working on it.

I can only ask a few questions

1- How does a super high tech company fail to record him when a girl with a video camera gets him on tape?

2- Aren't the weapons trackeable somehow? How does he keep them without being avoided.

3- As for saving the world does he fight big monsters in the city or something?

4- Is he a solo ninja or belongs to a family of ninjas or something?

Offline MisterSherbetLemon

• The MangaRaiders Political Correctness Enforcer...Ha!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1577 on: August 28, 2015, 05:51:27 AM »
1- How does a super high tech company fail to record him when a girl with a video camera gets him on tape?

2- Aren't the weapons trackeable somehow? How does he keep them without being avoided.

Hack their systems? They'd all be connected while the video camera is remote.

Weapon tracers could be deactivated also, I'd suggest giving your protagonist a computer wiz friend or accomplice to accomplish hacks like that rather than giving the protagonist all the skill sets, gives him someone to bounce conversation off of regarding the more secretive stuff he does.

Offline Funkermonster

• View Profile
« Reply #1578 on: August 28, 2015, 03:03:19 PM »
Man that is quite the wacky story. Seems like it could have a lot of potential to be both hilarious and serious at the same time. I'd say start working on how they look in your head I guess, try to make them more alive before you start working on it.

I can only ask a few questions

3- As for saving the world does he fight big monsters in the city or something?

4- Is he a solo ninja or belongs to a family of ninjas or something?

Thanks! Been trying to find some unique ideas, and this gives me a good sign. As for your questions

1. This is a bit difficult to answer, I'm still working on the scene of him obtaining the weapons and haven't thought that far yet. I'm thinking of hacking their systems like mistersherbert said for now while he was in disguise. When he met the girl, he didn't notice her prescence and took off his mask at a bad time while she was recording in a dark plce or something, unluckily revealing himself to her and her camera. I dunno honestly, still working out on a few important kinks, and I'm glad you pointed this out. I gotta work on my common sense...
2. Nope, they don't have any tracking devices or anything.
3. Big monsters is a possibility, yeah. Haven't decided exactly what yet, but I do plan to pit him against other villains besides just the military. What's on my mind now are mutant animals, robots, maybe aliens, stand a lone super villains, or basically anything that would work in a sci-fi setting. I don't wanna plan too far ahead just yet though.
4. Solo.
Hack their systems? They'd all be connected while the video camera is remote.

Weapon tracers could be deactivated also, I'd suggest giving your protagonist a computer wiz friend or accomplice to accomplish hacks like that rather than giving the protagonist all the skill sets, gives him someone to bounce conversation off of regarding the more secretive stuff he does.

Wow.... this is something that slipped my mind: that's not a bad idea, actually. Funny you should say this, because I originally did give him a partner like that, but somewhere along the way I lost interest in the idea and replaced him with that girl I was talking about before. But I'm not sure I wanna go with that: I actually kinda intended to have him work by himself for the most part and having only 1 partner at most, as the idea is to make his job even more difficult to manage when he's got to do all of the fighting and no one else is around to tackle his enemies. Also one part of his personality is that he's independent and has a tendency to refuse help when its offered to him, as he is somewhat prideful and doesn't enjoy roping others into his jams. That girl I mentioned has taken a liking to him and tries to help him out in just about anyway but also blackmails him into going on missions of her own and occupying even more of his time than before, and at times he may even try to refuse her help since his job is dangerous and she's still a civilian who lacks superpowers, weapons, or things like that. While she tries to support him and is the only one who can know , at the same time she's still got footage of him and is using that against him for her own personal benefit and creating even more stress for him than he previously had, even she hardly counts as a partner and that's why I wanted to throw her in there. I wouldn't have problems with making her a computer whiz, but I sense that would be a problem at the beginning since I had the two meet after he became a crime fighter, and now that I think about it I'm probably gonna have to either change these parts a bit and revise it, or make another partner for him to fit that bill. Your idea definitely would make more sense, but it kinda goes against what I was originally trying to do since I only wanted him to have 1 teammate, who hardly even counts as a teammate.

I think I'll be spending quite a bit of time thinking about this, thanks for pointing that out. I would've missed this plothole if you hadn't brought it up
« Last Edit: August 28, 2015, 03:06:50 PM by Funkermonster »

• View Profile
« Reply #1579 on: August 28, 2015, 10:14:22 PM »
While it may seem a little typical to have a partner in crime, I think for this story it works extremely well, I dont believe anything is "typical" or "cliche" if it fits well with the story.

I think the main thing to put you off is the idea of maintaining such a character. It works well but with a side character having such a crucial role in the story means you will have to build up their role into a major one. For example, I'm currently watching Chuck on Netflix and the protagonist's best friend is finally being inducted into their spy life (pardon the spoilers). This leads to stranger situations because the best friend is generally an unusual guy to begin with. Depending on the personality you choose, having a hacker as a close friend/associate (e.g. Similar situation to "Chuck" where this character is a best friend or taking an alternative route where the hacker is less of a friend and more of an associate that has been roped into something they're not prepared for), this character can become a major player that grips your audience and affects how the story plays out, beginning with small things and building up to major contributions in order to help the protagonist.

I don't mean this as  a way to dictate your story, I'm just offering potential arcs for your storyline and I do hope it opens up possibilities for you even if my posts on their own offer little variety. :P I do think it's crucial for your protagonist to have someone to bounce opinions off of even if they don't directly affect the story, it's a very difficult thing to write a riveting story where a main character acts completely solo and even having a confidante who has little to offer other than an ear to listen can be much more effective than trying to write inner monologues on a regular basis that would likely bore the reader/viewer. It is feasible but I feel readers/viewers enjoy a story where a protagonist has a confidante or at the very least, some kind of chemistry with someone who is trustworthy and/or always on the edge of discovering the truth of what the protagonist is up to while unknowingly aiding them in small ways. This advice is kinda going along the realm of mainstream drama shows but I genuinely believe it implements just as well into anime/manga when portrayed correctly. Trust me, if this advice suits right with your idea for the story, the potential story arcs will lay themselves out for you as you write them. Some things just tie perfectly together in a story as you build it.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2015, 10:18:52 PM by MisterSherbetLemon »

• View Profile
« Reply #1580 on: August 28, 2015, 10:23:45 PM »
Wow.... this is something that slipped my mind: that's not a bad idea, actually. Funny you should say this, because I originally did give him a partner like that, but somewhere along the way I lost interest in the idea and replaced him with that girl I was talking about before. But I'm not sure I wanna go with that: I actually kinda intended to have him work by himself for the most part and having only 1 partner at most, as the idea is to make his job even more difficult to manage when he's got to do all of the fighting and no one else is around to tackle his enemies. Also one part of his personality is that he's independent and has a tendency to refuse help when its offered to him, as he is somewhat prideful and doesn't enjoy roping others into his jams. That girl I mentioned has taken a liking to him and tries to help him out in just about anyway but also blackmails him into going on missions of her own and occupying even more of his time than before, and at times he may even try to refuse her help since his job is dangerous and she's still a civilian who lacks superpowers, weapons, or things like that. While she tries to support him and is the only one who can know , at the same time she's still got footage of him and is using that against him for her own personal benefit and creating even more stress for him than he previously had, even she hardly counts as a partner and that's why I wanted to throw her in there. I wouldn't have problems with making her a computer whiz, but I sense that would be a problem at the beginning since I had the two meet after he became a crime fighter, and now that I think about it I'm probably gonna have to either change these parts a bit and revise it, or make another partner for him to fit that bill. Your idea definitely would make more sense, but it kinda goes against what I was originally trying to do since I only wanted him to have 1 teammate, who hardly even counts as a teammate.

I think I'll be spending quite a bit of time thinking about this, thanks for pointing that out. I would've missed this plothole if you hadn't brought it up

I don't see why you can't have both the girl and the partner, this can offer up intriguing yet unnecessary conflicts (as in two people who want the best for the protagonist but have very different ideas as to what that is) which eventually leads to uneasy alliances between them when things get very difficulty for the protagonist. Try to remember that the protagonist may be the key to the main plot but that doesn't mean they have to be in the spotlight throughout the entirety of the main plot. Other characters can find times to shine which may affect the protagonist for better or worse, leading to captivating moments of doubt, concern and excitement for those who follow such a series.

EDIT: Also I just want to say I like the idea of your story and see a lot of potential in it. All you need to do is refine the possibilities of characters outside of your protagonist that can alter the story. In terms of mainstream manga/anime, the majority bring major plots into the mix that involve side characters so that readers/viewers can see that there is greater depth of the story beyond the scope of your protagonist. I believe that the greatest stories are told not only by the hero's perspective but by the people around him and how those people are affected by the protagonist. Bringing a deeper story to those characters in general and following it up with how they change for better (or worse) because of the protagonist will improve the depth of your story.

Double Edit: I hope this seems as constructive advice as I aimed it to be but if not I'll warn now I'm typing while dealing with a major fever haha :P I hope this helps!
« Last Edit: August 28, 2015, 10:41:28 PM by MisterSherbetLemon »

Offline legomaestro

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1581 on: September 14, 2015, 04:49:49 PM »
Hey people, got a question, since I always do NaNoWrimo as it comes around and I'm usually free, I thought we should also do another writer sort of event that month.

How about we have November as a communal reading month? Like we make sure we read eachother's stories and stuff? I don't know whether people are free then or not though.

Could totally shift it to other months, heck even some time next year, but I thought it'd be nice if we improved the feedback amongst us active members on the forum.

Offline Vacant

• View Profile
« Reply #1582 on: September 14, 2015, 04:57:16 PM »
Dude!!!! I was brainstorming something similar. Having something like a book club of sorts!!!

People sign up and they are that day/weeks "featured" member. The others who have signed up have to read their story or at least some of it and review it. (Maybe even have a pm of questions about the work, like background stuff, influences etc. as if it were an AMA or something)

The beauty would be that it would go around the table. So everyone would be guaranteed to be in the mix and have people read/review their work.

EDIT: Might work best in a smaller group. Say 5-6 people per group or something. Then whoevers last wouldnt have to wait too long (after all, it would be a shame if after someone got reviewed they then just dropped out)

Offline legomaestro

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1583 on: September 14, 2015, 05:00:03 PM »
Sounds like a plan I say. The featured member thing is actually something I considered too. A PM like that, even if it's in a detached survey mode would give really useful feedback to authors.

And exactly on that last point. Everyone would be involved.

I just don't know which month would be optimal for it to happen. I don't want to wait too long, but also don't want to clash with too many of the active members' daily lives and stuff

Offline MissChurro

• ~Queen of Kawaii~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1584 on: September 14, 2015, 05:01:35 PM »
I'm not great at reviewing stories, but I actually have been wanting to read more and practice reviewing, and Vacant's book club set up is a really good idea! I'd definitely try to take part in that. :thumbsup:

Offline legomaestro

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1585 on: September 14, 2015, 05:07:25 PM »
Then that's two RSVPs Vacant, when you're ready set it up and I'm in

Offline alphabunny91

• I am a text that's personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1586 on: September 17, 2015, 08:55:46 PM »
This is amazing... I'm glad I can find a place to share my ideas and get them out in the open.  :clapping:

When I have writers block, I vegetate... Either I sit on my ass when I'm not working and watch Netflix, anime, or I go out into the real world. Sometimes, I don't even vegetate and just occupy myself entirely to clear my head. Recently, my story has morphed to the point where I get inspiration from real life things that have happened to me, things I'm involved with, or things that I've seen or heard from people I know or people on the internet. Sometimes, when I see something, I think "Would this kind of scene fit in my story?"

My work (read: child) is called Love Asylum, originally called Lady Prince. It originally started as a one-shot to parody rom-com anime and Asian dramas. I was making fun of Hana Yori Dango (Boys Over Flowers, Meteor Garden) because I was so tired of the female protagonist being portrayed as unable to speak for herself or not speaking to clear misunderstandings... or giving too many f**ks. So I made the female lead the antithesis of all that embodies female lead stereotypes, especially in Asian dramas. Not only was she a tomboy rebel, but she was bisexual, smoked, drank, had a sailor mouth, and did whatever she wanted because she hated everyone. She would kick your a** if you got on her nerves and she doesn't slap. She punches lol The male lead was a punked-out version of Domyouji but I purposely made him to be a douchebag. The school was literally just like Eitoku. This started back in 2005 when the drama came out and I was getting irritated with a lot of Japanese and Korean dramas at the time.

Over the years, my story morphed so much. The characters turned from satirical to having personalities that are more realistic (sometimes exaggerated for comedic relief). I wanted to see how things would fit in a Korean version of a Taiwanese version, just like how those countries made their own versions of BBF. I stuck to Korea for a myriad of reasons (though I do plan to use the original Japanese characters for a Japanese version). Now, my story does make fun of things in dramas and anime, but it's not a parody. The female protagonist is the antithesis of the antithesis xD. I changed the title to Love Asylum for this reason. LA contains themes involving the dark web, rape, sex, drugs, mental illness, corporate crime, internet crime, the LGBT community and how they are viewed in Korea vs the rest of the world... in other words, it's an 18+ story.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2015, 09:03:18 PM by alphabunny91 »

Offline alphabunny91

• I am a text that's personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1587 on: September 17, 2015, 08:57:44 PM »
Sounds like a plan I say. The featured member thing is actually something I considered too. A PM like that, even if it's in a detached survey mode would give really useful feedback to authors.

And exactly on that last point. Everyone would be involved.

I just don't know which month would be optimal for it to happen. I don't want to wait too long, but also don't want to clash with too many of the active members' daily lives and stuff

I work from home (borderline hikkikomori status lol) so I tend to have a lot of free time after work. I would like to join if possible.

Offline Robin Ryuu

• Robin Shadow Ryuu
    • View Profile
« Reply #1588 on: September 17, 2015, 09:35:58 PM »
It's funny how stories can evolve sometimes. One of my stories was practically a genderbend of American Dragon. Now I bet no one could guess that it had been.

Offline Coryn

• Director of the MR Science Division
  • Global Moderator
  • Secretly a 13 year old girl.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1589 on: September 18, 2015, 07:45:14 AM »
This is amazing... I'm glad I can find a place to share my ideas and get them out in the open.  :clapping:

When I have writers block, I vegetate... Either I sit on my ass when I'm not working and watch Netflix, anime, or I go out into the real world. Sometimes, I don't even vegetate and just occupy myself entirely to clear my head. Recently, my story has morphed to the point where I get inspiration from real life things that have happened to me, things I'm involved with, or things that I've seen or heard from people I know or people on the internet. Sometimes, when I see something, I think "Would this kind of scene fit in my story?"

My work (read: child) is called Love Asylum, originally called Lady Prince. It originally started as a one-shot to parody rom-com anime and Asian dramas. I was making fun of Hana Yori Dango (Boys Over Flowers, Meteor Garden) because I was so tired of the female protagonist being portrayed as unable to speak for herself or not speaking to clear misunderstandings... or giving too many f**ks. So I made the female lead the antithesis of all that embodies female lead stereotypes, especially in Asian dramas. Not only was she a tomboy rebel, but she was bisexual, smoked, drank, had a sailor mouth, and did whatever she wanted because she hated everyone. She would kick your a** if you got on her nerves and she doesn't slap. She punches lol The male lead was a punked-out version of Domyouji but I purposely made him to be a douchebag. The school was literally just like Eitoku. This started back in 2005 when the drama came out and I was getting irritated with a lot of Japanese and Korean dramas at the time.

Over the years, my story morphed so much. The characters turned from satirical to having personalities that are more realistic (sometimes exaggerated for comedic relief). I wanted to see how things would fit in a Korean version of a Taiwanese version, just like how those countries made their own versions of BBF. I stuck to Korea for a myriad of reasons (though I do plan to use the original Japanese characters for a Japanese version). Now, my story does make fun of things in dramas and anime, but it's not a parody. The female protagonist is the antithesis of the antithesis xD. I changed the title to Love Asylum for this reason. LA contains themes involving the dark web, rape, sex, drugs, mental illness, corporate crime, internet crime, the LGBT community and how they are viewed in Korea vs the rest of the world... in other words, it's an 18+ story.

Hm, I'm not exactly familiar with asian dramas, but moving to having more realistic personalities is always a good thing. It's fun to be realistic while still prodding at the edges of what could be considered unbelievable, which is where the best characters come from in my opinion.

Will review stories upon request. My latest arc: http://goo.gl/KYgsfF