March 29, 2024, 06:04:58 AM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: Writer Discussion Table  (Read 317767 times)

Offline Nairbons

• A Rootin' Tootin' Cowpoke
    • View Profile
Re: Writer Discussion Table
« Reply #1560 on: August 21, 2015, 08:01:29 PM »
Question, would a story like Bayonette ever work out as a novel? As in if it originally came out as a novel. I'm wondering how video game characters who's primary skill is to kick ass would be taken in written form.

A story LIKE Bayonetta? Sure! Actually using the story of Bayonetta? Good luck with that. Most of Platinum Studios' stories are weird nonsense that VERY loosely hold together cool gameplay setpieces, but Bayo 1 takes the cake.

I'm convinced that you can write a good story about just about anything if you can find the right way to do it. Having a main character be so casually overpowered in their everyday life would be a fun read. If you aren't already doing so, maybe go check out One Punch Man.

Offline legomaestro

• High Chancellor of Righteousness
  • Global Moderator
  • real life has wack graphics
    • View Profile
« Reply #1561 on: August 21, 2015, 08:31:53 PM »
Oh dude you have no idea how much I'm reading One Punch Man hahaha. Can't believe the anime is just around the corner. Can't wait!

Offline Vacant

• View Profile
« Reply #1562 on: August 22, 2015, 04:35:22 AM »
*perks head up at the mention of One Punch Man*

I'm afraid I've never played Bayonetta, so I cant speak for the story. But I'd echo the sentiment of Nair. Pretty much anything can be adapted into a novel, or indeed into other any other media.

I guess it just depends on what you add/omit or adjust. The walking Dead and Game of Thrones tv shows have a plethora of differences to their source materials.

Offline legomaestro

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1563 on: August 22, 2015, 09:51:19 AM »
Mwahaha you guy have been reading that too then? Awesomeness

One Punch Man really knows what it's doing, and now that I think of it Vampire Hunter D does this perfectly well.

What have you people been writing recently 

Offline Akane

• Hermit
  • All suffering is caused by one's incompetence.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1564 on: August 26, 2015, 01:06:19 PM »
What do you guys think about a story based on a russian university? A plain, kind of bpring but smart male protagonist lives with his three female cousins in a Russian uni. Although there are main characters, im thinking making it a slice of life like gintama, so it follows other students who may or may not meet the main characters and have their own unique personalities and backstories. Its also set in a smaller town so news spreads quick, diseases and drought hit hard. I want to make it psychological because its going to follow these students in conditions much different than their home and most of all, life without their lived ones.

So, what do you guys think? Of course, I'd need an artist tho  :hmm:
Hidden.

Offline legomaestro

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1565 on: August 26, 2015, 01:12:14 PM »
University in Russia? Just that makes me interested in reading it. You could get a lot of interest if you put as man realistic references as possible rather than having it simply be an anime with a Russian university as a background.

Other than that I'm bad with drama stories that don't have monsters and explosions. You'll need some interesting dialogue there and interesting personalities, and knowing manga/anime that's very possible... I mean they can make a calligraphy anime interesting for goodness sake haha

Offline Akane

• Hermit
    • View Profile
« Reply #1566 on: August 26, 2015, 01:17:42 PM »
 I know. Gintama does it, they make everything so heartfelt and dramatic from scaring people to making dango. And then they add that bit of comedy that somehow isn't offensive to women and they rarely resort to fanservice or ecchi. Man, I love gintama
Hidden.

Offline legomaestro

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1567 on: August 26, 2015, 01:27:33 PM »
I want to actually read the manga, because it is indeed something else.

If only I didn't lose so many braincells reading it. Too hilarious sometimes

Offline MisterSherbetLemon

• The MangaRaiders Political Correctness Enforcer...Ha!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1568 on: August 26, 2015, 03:44:25 PM »
Gintama's one manga I really want to get into but find trouble getting started with. Read the first few chapters but think the length of it intimidates me because once I begin something I like I MUST finish it asap.

Offline legomaestro

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1569 on: August 26, 2015, 03:52:44 PM »
Haha you can always go with the anime. The gags carry on so well there I don't even know if the manga will manage to keep up with it

Offline Funkermonster

• View Profile
« Reply #1570 on: August 26, 2015, 06:09:54 PM »
What would you think of a comic/manga series starring 4 characters? I've got my series planned with 4 characters that I've put a lot of thought and work into over the past couple months, centering mainly around sci-fi action, and slice of life. I made 4 characters for my series, and I originally intended for all of them to share the spotlight in a way and not really have one definitive protagonist: Like each issue's story can focus on one of the four and cycle trough from time to time, and whoever it's following may have his/herself appear inside the comic's logo or something. On rare occasions, I could maybe even do that with a character/group of characters who aren't part of the main 4 to make some subplots and a little diversion from that. But one of my 4 characters is a superhero/schoolboy so I felt that he would end up giving the series the most depth and impact of the story along with interacting with its setting and other characters the most often because of that, so I chose to make him the driving force of it and being a superhero is the only reason I made this choice. Even so, I find myself attached to other 3 too much to ignore them and I still want to do the multi-character issue idea I originally planned. But I might end up losing focus on the real star of the show and lose focus of what the story was about, so not everyone might might share my view and be on board with this plan.

So I just wanted get some opinions on whether it'd be okay to do this and if you think most readers would too. Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2015, 12:32:28 AM by Funkermonster »

Offline legomaestro

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1571 on: August 27, 2015, 05:11:11 AM »
If you have a star of the show then you have 1 main character with 3 supporting characters. You can still have multi character stories with someone who will turn out to be favourites, but if you deliberately make him shine then it might not be what you're aiming for.

Other than that it's not easy to say what to do because I know tonnes of superheroes off the top of my head. Heck I could make one up that shoots lasers from his hands. What's important is how the characters interact in the world and not necessarily what they can do.

What's the story about?

Offline Operative13

• Self-Proclaimed Writer and Anime Enthusiast
  • Writer of Caesarea
    • View Profile
« Reply #1572 on: August 27, 2015, 05:19:02 AM »
If you need an example of multi-protagonist stories, look no further than Durarara!!  :thumbsup:
“To give of oneself is the noblest of all acts.”

Twitter: https://twitter.com/Ope1ativ3
Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/OPHolden

Offline Akane

• Hermit
    • View Profile
« Reply #1573 on: August 27, 2015, 06:08:50 AM »
Gintama and Baccano do it too. I do it too. The idea I posted above also follows more than 100 characters.
Hidden.

Offline Vacant

• View Profile
« Reply #1574 on: August 27, 2015, 07:12:28 PM »
Well, while you have one man who is considered the main protagonist, there's always ample opportunity in a story to shine a spotlight on the supporting cast. Often this is done by having a story arc that centers around them and their motives/issues/goals, an adversary that is from their past and the main character simply assists them (While they develop their relationship further with said supporting cast member)