March 28, 2024, 04:44:16 AM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: Writer Discussion Table  (Read 317708 times)

Offline Vacant

• View Profile
Re: Writer Discussion Table
« Reply #1395 on: July 02, 2015, 02:56:22 PM »
I think there's something to be said for writing for pleasure as well. The main reason I write is for the enjoyment I derive from it after all.

Offline NO1SY

• Resident Slacker
  • Will eat your cookies
    • View Profile
« Reply #1396 on: July 02, 2015, 03:39:49 PM »
Yeah, I'm looking just to write creatively now...

I'm past the days of "Oh I have a great idea for a manga story that's waaaaaayyyyyy better than Bleach!".

I enjoy sharing though and I do still have a series I want to continue working on :)

Offline Vacant

• View Profile
« Reply #1397 on: July 02, 2015, 03:50:33 PM »
Yeah....but thats probably because you came to the realisation  that bleach has a perfect story and can't be topped........  :sure:

Offline legomaestro

• High Chancellor of Righteousness
  • Global Moderator
  • real life has wack graphics
    • View Profile
« Reply #1398 on: July 02, 2015, 04:34:26 PM »
Honestly I think a lot of my disatisfaction with Bleach comes from the fact that it's a really fun concept with a tonne of potential. Everyone from fan to hater has an idea of how they'd improve it to make it better rather than just dismissing it altogether.

Offline SwordHero16

• I am who I am!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1399 on: July 02, 2015, 06:37:57 PM »
Kubo succeeded in making Aizen a fan favorite because of his way of manipulating others through just words and his power.

Offline Vacant

• View Profile
« Reply #1400 on: July 02, 2015, 06:53:52 PM »
When I have this time off, I'm so totally having a couple of Writing days! Just solid writing. I want two chapters of work done at least!

Offline SwordHero16

• I am who I am!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1401 on: July 02, 2015, 06:57:57 PM »
That's cool, currently my interest in Bleach is motivated again after the lackluster dragging and arriving at Ywhach's New World

Offline Lumaria

• Editor Group
  • Someone who will tell you what you need to hear
    • View Profile
« Reply #1402 on: July 02, 2015, 07:50:14 PM »
i just want to say that even though you write to let out your creativity and put it into words, even if you never aim for improvement, even if you never even wish to be published.

Aiming for improvement shouldn't be a problem. Because when you share your story, you want readers to enjoy it. and if the reader doesn't see it the way you wrote or even close due to many flaws, then thats where one has failed.

So don't get wrapped up on perfection being "subjective". That's no excuse to recognize flaws. Your goal should still be to entertain your readers just as mucha s you entertain yourself. If you're easy to please, work harder into making sure you see other point of views.  bad pacing, difficult to understand characters, lack of development. those are all things anyone can find.
Stop playing victim....you know what you did.

Offline Vacant

• View Profile
« Reply #1403 on: July 02, 2015, 07:59:37 PM »
               Not to say people shouldn't ever strive to improve. I think with anything we enjoy doing, its only natural we'd like to get better at it for sure. Its just that sometimes it swings way too far the other way, to the point where people are almost embarrassed to admit they write for themselves, like they're afraid to admit they don't have a high goal and want to be the very best like no one ever was. 

Its a community for all ages and skill levels, so I think its nice to remind people its okay not to want to become a millionaire and go down as a national treasure off the back of your work.

I'm of the personal belief that its better for someone to write a flawed piece, than them to become so filled with anxiety about their ability that they choose not to write at all. No one ever improves if they're discouraged enough to the point of giving up.

Offline Lumaria

• Editor Group
    • View Profile
« Reply #1404 on: July 02, 2015, 08:08:54 PM »
               Not to say people shouldn't ever strive to improve. I think with anything we enjoy doing, its only natural we'd like to get better at it for sure. Its just that sometimes it swings way too far the other way, to the point where people are almost embarrassed to admit they write for themselves, like they're afraid to admit they don't have a high goal and want to be the very best like no one ever was. 
Well there is only embarrassment if they only chose to write for themselves and had absolutely no intention of conveying their thoughts properly, or fixing flaws. For example, if someone wrote a story, and the flaws were so apparent, and the writer was embarrassed to recognize them and having to tell the person "i wont fix it, because i didn't write it to be good"

Its a community for all ages and skill levels, so I think its nice to remind people its okay not to want to become a millionaire and go down as a national treasure off the back of your work.
most time people fail the basics though. Even for all ages, i'm sure all ages can take it. Most times the problem isn't the criticism, its the fact that in order to convey the problem,  a lot of examples need to be provided.

I'm of the personal belief that its better for someone to write a flawed piece, than them to become so filled with anxiety about their ability that they choose not to write at all. No one ever improves if they're discouraged enough to the point of giving up.
I don't think its an either-or situation like you make it out to be though. Most people who can't take criticism are people who don't want to improve. No one ever improves if they don't even know what to improve on too. keep that in mind.

[/quote]
« Last Edit: July 02, 2015, 08:12:06 PM by Lorenx1 »

Offline MisterSherbetLemon

• The MangaRaiders Political Correctness Enforcer...Ha!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1405 on: July 02, 2015, 08:17:10 PM »
I'm a total hypocrite in this post as I'm guilty of all of the above but I still understand and accept what I'm gonna say and it's likely that everyone else on here that cares about writing will know it too but it's a very easy thing to forget.

Improvement is what every serious writer who is starting off strives for personally and it's very easy to get consumed by that motivation to the point that it's damaging their progression due to their own self-judgement. I know that I'm guilty of that on a regular basis to the point that it affects my entire style. But I've learned over the years even if I don't always abide by it that the best way to improve is to relax and not focus so much on it as that improvement comes naturally. I expect that it's the same with artists, so long as someone remains active and enthusiastic with what they're doing, their skills will improve naturally.

It's awesome to always strive to get better but the most natural way for that to occur is by relaxing, continuing to learn what you can and refine your own style. Listen to your peers when they advise you but don't let contradiction of your current ideas define your future ones unless that contradiction turns out to be constructive criticism and opens up a side to your ideas that you didn't see before.

No matter what people say negatively about your stories or styles, hold onto them but be flexible enough to refine them from relative feedback is what I'm trying to say I suppose. Even the most successful writers should be still willing to learn to improve further in my opinion. Otherwise they're abandoning what it meant for them to be a writer in the beginning. However your stories turn out you should never be too stubborn to listen to feedback.

Pardon that rant, I just typed away and before I knew it I had a life story written out for this post haha

Offline Lumaria

• Editor Group
    • View Profile
« Reply #1406 on: July 02, 2015, 08:22:27 PM »
To me, i believe one must always aim to write an "adequate" story. If it consumes someone, its because they aren't taking it one step at a time. It takes multiple revisions for a reason. if you tried fixing it all at once, you get consumed (but thats if you can't handle more than one issue at a time).

Offline MisterSherbetLemon

• The MangaRaiders Political Correctness Enforcer...Ha!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1407 on: July 02, 2015, 08:36:52 PM »
Adequate by what standards? Adequate for me is something that I would enjoy reading if it was written by someone else. It's a tough line to define because reading your own work can lead to either undeserved pride or undeserved embarrassment regardless of the actual quality but if you can look at something you've created yourself objectively outside of that and say it's interesting to read while others say the same then that is adequate to me but many people may have completely different definitions.

Offline Lumaria

• Editor Group
    • View Profile
« Reply #1408 on: July 02, 2015, 08:54:17 PM »
Adequate by what standards? Adequate for me is something that I would enjoy reading if it was written by someone else. It's a tough line to define because reading your own work can lead to either undeserved pride or undeserved embarrassment regardless of the actual quality but if you can look at something you've created yourself objectively outside of that and say it's interesting to read while others say the same then that is adequate to me but many people may have completely different definitions.

i think your definition is too based on the idea that "one person liked it". or "two people liked it".

me its "how well you conveyed your thoughts". Sometimes people just like things blindly. Especially when it comes to amateur writing, they don't really care about what is going on...or how its portrayed. A lot of empty areas and the casual reader (who will forget about the story in two days) will just fill in the blanks, even if the blanks are bigger than the story itself (making the reader make his own story as he reads it).

the reader who actively wants to know what exactly the story is about, what flow the reader is trying to portray, and what feeling they should be getting. they will actively look into it, and if the blank spots or contradictions, or lack of character development, or bad pacing, those are the things that the reader will actively point out.

I've been told that i remember a lot of stories. a lot that many casual readers claimed they liked, but never fully wanted to know more.

so you ask by what standards? the standard of rally leaving an impression on your reader....that standard is all about earning them, working on every aspect, every piece to make sure it flows properly and making usre your characters are well understoo or give the correct impression on your readers.

sure, you write for yourself, but when you share, you obviously want to invoke a feeling that you got when you wrote it. If the reader isn't getting it. then thats where you should find out why. Thats how you become "adequate".

Offline MissChurro

• ~Queen of Kawaii~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1409 on: July 02, 2015, 09:34:22 PM »
Hey Lorenx, you're free to post here as much as you want, but please don't make any posts directed at or addressing SwordHero or his story. He's asked you to not talk to him several times, so if you continue I'll have to take action. Thanks.