October 20, 2019, 05:48:46 AM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: Writer Discussion Table  (Read 109648 times)

Offline NO1SY

• Bartender for the MR Pub's Happy Hour!
  • Life is LOUD!
    • View Profile
Re: Writer Discussion Table
« Reply #1380 on: June 30, 2015, 09:11:46 AM »
Ah yeah, consistency in tone is fairly important, although sometimes tone switching can be used to good effect. It's a problem when it interrupts things though.

For instance a comedic scene in the middle of a serious fight scene that changes the pace of the story and allows the main character to win the fight, even though there was no way they could win before, is a really annoying technique used by writers when they are dealing with power escalation...

Offline MisterSherbetLemon

• The MangaRaiders Political Correctness Enforcer...Ha!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1381 on: June 30, 2015, 09:12:20 AM »
Hehehe, I love the baffled replies I'm getting from that question. I ask for the most ideal story and instead I'm given a bucketlist of what people consider good stories  :D

As simple as the question sounds, I think it's quite possibly one of the most difficult questions to answer specifically. I can give a theory on what an ideal story for me would be but there are many stories I love that contradict my definitions.

A story that can get you fired up and emotional would be my vague answer with characters you feel empathy towards and care about (or truly hate if that is the intention). It doesn't require outright shock twists but it should rarely be predictable. That being said, one of my current favorite tv shows is Arrow and there are many times throughout the show that I can predict the outcomes of events or question a character's actions whether those actions are big or small. In games, Mass Effect had one of the greatest storylines ever in my opinion but once again there were questionable moments in it. In these imperfect stories however, there's rarely a time that someone could say they would be able to change it for the better. So maybe imperfection plays a factor in a captivating story, I really couldn't say. So that's my long way of saying I don't have a clue haha!

I like to think I am a budding creator but that's only been in recent years after a very long period as a spectator with occasional half-hearted contributions to the work of other creators. We all have to start somewhere though, right?  ;D

Offline SwordHero16

• I am who I am!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1382 on: June 30, 2015, 09:20:12 AM »
Agh, just remembered Akame Ga Kill, that anime was terrible when it went full-on comedy that ruins the serious tone.

Offline SwordHero16

• I am who I am!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1383 on: June 30, 2015, 09:26:56 AM »
Hehehe, I love the baffled replies I'm getting from that question. I ask for the most ideal story and instead I'm given a bucketlist of what people consider good stories  :D

As simple as the question sounds, I think it's quite possibly one of the most difficult questions to answer specifically. I can give a theory on what an ideal story for me would be but there are many stories I love that contradict my definitions.

A story that can get you fired up and emotional would be my vague answer with characters you feel empathy towards and care about (or truly hate if that is the intention). It doesn't require outright shock twists but it should rarely be predictable. That being said, one of my current favorite tv shows is Arrow and there are many times throughout the show that I can predict the outcomes of events or question a character's actions whether those actions are big or small. In games, Mass Effect had one of the greatest storylines ever in my opinion but once again there were questionable moments in it. In these imperfect stories however, there's rarely a time that someone could say they would be able to change it for the better. So maybe imperfection plays a factor in a captivating story, I really couldn't say. So that's my long way of saying I don't have a clue haha!

I like to think I am a budding creator but that's only been in recent years after a very long period as a spectator with occasional half-hearted contributions to the work of other creators. We all have to start somewhere though, right?  ;D

True that, there is no perfect story as there will be people to not like it, we just need to write a story that will appeal to many as much as we can.

Offline Akane

• Hermit
  • All suffering is caused by one's incompetence.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1384 on: June 30, 2015, 09:40:22 AM »
Haha, ideal story

That would be Magi's Slavery mixed with Baccano's not too creepy on screen gore, Durarara's web of connections, Attack on Titan/ Owari no Seraph's Fight Scenes, a torture scene (preferably for a minor character or villain), Kurosh¡tsuji's Philosophy, Hisoka form HXH/ Izaya Orihara, Aizen-sama, Katsura from Gintama's madness, and Gintama's comedy and Death Note/Zankyou no Terror's riddles. Mix it up and polish it onto high school kids, one exaggerated rack, a badass themesong, a couple who we all ship due to the lack of personal space but have never kissed and a Half historical half future timeline like Gintama.

I suppose I start out as a spectator, but when I find one that completely baffles me (in a good way or bad way), I become a creator.
Hidden.

• View Profile
« Reply #1385 on: June 30, 2015, 09:42:56 AM »
Agh, just remembered Akame Ga Kill, that anime was terrible when it went full-on comedy that ruins the serious tone.

I thought Akame Ga Kill was epic until it begun to mix comedy with the "kill off every main character one at a time so they've all sacrificed themselves for the greater good" as it reached it's conclusion. It took away the emotion from a lot of the deaths. The only character I majorly felt for was Bols surprisingly. Almost everyone else seemed to be mildly-naturally psychotic because of something that had happened in their past but Bols had a simpler premise. He killed because it was his job and he knew that he would be judged for it someday. That simplicity and acceptance of what he was doing without taking pleasure in it made him more effective than any of the more complex attempts at backstory could do for the other characters.

True that, there is no perfect story as there will be people to not like it, we just need to write a story that will appeal to many as much as we can.

I think the key to writing is formulating a story that you yourself feel would captivate you which is a difficult thing because so many starting writers lack confidence. I don't know about anyone else here but many books or mangas that I really love, I will read more than once. If I can write a story that I'm willing to read to myself again long after it's been completed and proof-read, I'm willing to bet other people will enjoy it the same way.

Online Operative13

• Self-Proclaimed Writer and Anime Enthusiast
  • Writer of Caesarea
    • View Profile
« Reply #1386 on: June 30, 2015, 10:19:41 AM »
To give my input to all the questions I laid out so far...

To be honest, there is no Golden Standard to any story out there. There's always going to be some flaw in it regardless if the "Almighty Creator of the Universe" came down and wrote the script itself. Some do a better job than others, but you'll never see a story that will satisfy 100% of the audience. That's just not possible. So the best thing you can do is pick the ones you enjoy the most and roll with it  ;)

With that knowledge, this is why I ended up creating a Universe with my story Chelderan Chronicles instead of the typical "follow one plot" story that revolves around the protagonist or group of protagonists. I find I'm always going to be dissatisfied to some degree what I can do with my characters based on their characteristics and situation I place them in. I can't have them do everything at any time, otherwise it's simply a showcase and not a story. So instead of a one-story-fits-all scenario, I have multiple stories in the same scenario catering to different viewpoints and ideas. So in terms of creating an ideal story, I wouldn't have the faintest idea how to achieve that. But at least I can take potshots at it, hoping one of them might make the mark.  ;D

I'd say my spectating contributes to my creating. It's what inspires me to contribute to this fantastical world of imagination and creativity that no one else can see but your own. You build upon the ideas of others, twist it, reshape it, fine-tune it to your own, and eventually you create this magnificent world floating inside your head that you yourself play god to. All that is left is to put it into physical being. In short, I consider myself both. I'd be unsatisfied just as a spectator as I helplessly sit and watch these great characters meet their dissatisfying doom (I'm looking at you, Akame Ga Kill  :glare: ), and I'd be unsatisfied just as a creator because my world would be dull and boring at the blank room I'm in right now.  8)
“To give of oneself is the noblest of all acts.”

• View Profile
« Reply #1387 on: June 30, 2015, 11:11:55 AM »
Completely agree Operative, all creativity stems from what we spectate in the world around us especially in seeing the work of other creators and drawing something from the experience.

So much flak for Akame Ga Kill today ::)

Online Operative13

• Self-Proclaimed Writer and Anime Enthusiast
  • Writer of Caesarea
    • View Profile
« Reply #1388 on: June 30, 2015, 11:44:44 AM »
Tis what happens when you decide to water-down the series instead of sticking to the original concept.  ;) No one likes bad pacing, and the story does it from the very start (Who puts comedy immediately after a dead-serious death!? You completely ruin the feels for that! You gotta let it sink in... slowly, and painfully). It's a shame too... Akame Ga Kill had such high expectations for the sheer shock-value it had. (Death Flags for Everyone! No One is Safe!  :devil: ) Regardless, it's not the first show to fall victim to bad pacing...
“To give of oneself is the noblest of all acts.”

Offline SwordHero16

• I am who I am!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1389 on: July 02, 2015, 07:56:38 AM »
I agree, comedy in anime where main characters even die, it's ridiculous. It takes lot of effort to have main characters be likeable to invest their feelings for them.

Offline Lumaria

• Editor Group
  • Someone who will tell you what you need to hear
    • View Profile
« Reply #1390 on: July 02, 2015, 11:51:32 AM »
Keep in mind that even if no story will ever be perfect, there's no excuse to aiming for perfection or adequacy.

Stop playing victim....you know what you did.

Offline SwordHero16

• I am who I am!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1391 on: July 02, 2015, 12:34:19 PM »
Right, perfection is impossible, we all humans can't do the impossible

Offline Lovus Eternius

• Firstborne INC. Grandmaster Chief Chief Executive Officer
  • Firstborne INC. Making life great again.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1392 on: July 02, 2015, 12:36:46 PM »
Perfection is something that can no longer be improved upon and relies heavily on human perception and perhaps your own idealism. It can be done, if you think something is perfect. It's just that others are unlikely to think so because their ideal 'perfect' is probably different than yours.

Offline SwordHero16

• I am who I am!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1393 on: July 02, 2015, 01:01:14 PM »
Yeah, everyone thinks different in case of story writing, it makes each one of them unique, having their own thoughts and ideas into their work.

Offline Lovus Eternius

• Firstborne INC. Grandmaster Chief Chief Executive Officer
  • Firstborne INC. Making life great again.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1394 on: July 02, 2015, 02:35:22 PM »
Just FYI. I aim for glory and honor on the field of battle. Not perfection.