November 21, 2019, 12:36:17 PM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: Writer Discussion Table  (Read 111952 times)

Offline 50 Words for Paipis

• View Profile
Re: Writer Discussion Table
« Reply #990 on: October 06, 2014, 12:49:34 AM »
Yeah, I always make the same mistake of setting everything up wrong and have to majorly rework things.

I've meant to review the newer chapters of Lunacy, but just haven't sat down and done it. Same with a lot of stories people are working hard on. I've been told to write 200-250 words a day twice, so I'm going to try that to see if it at least makes writing habitual if not more enjoyable.

Offline legomaestro

• High Chancellor of Righteousness
  • Global Moderator
  • real life has wack graphics
    • View Profile
« Reply #991 on: October 06, 2014, 02:15:29 AM »
When you wrote that earlier I was already mulling the idea in my head to start off my workshop, so one of us is being haunted with that task.

I failed on my first day because laziness/tiredness. It won't happen again!

Offline NO1SY

• Bartender for the MR Pub's Happy Hour!
  • Life is LOUD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #992 on: October 06, 2014, 06:17:10 AM »
Yeah, I always make the same mistake of setting everything up wrong and have to majorly rework things.

I've meant to review the newer chapters of Lunacy, but just haven't sat down and done it. Same with a lot of stories people are working hard on. I've been told to write 200-250 words a day twice, so I'm going to try that to see if it at least makes writing habitual if not more enjoyable.

If you aren't motivated to read and review member's stories, and you are reading or watching published series anyways, then try reviewing those! Thinking about series in a critical way can help a lot in terms of getting your mind in gear.

Offline Lumaria

• Editor Group
  • Someone who will tell you what you need to hear
    • View Profile
« Reply #993 on: October 06, 2014, 05:00:18 PM »
first, you need to know what exactly 200-250 words a day looks like. most times people on this forum spend writing more than that each day on this forum, but its mostly done to socialize.
Stop playing victim....you know what you did.

Offline NO1SY

• Life is LOUD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #994 on: October 07, 2014, 09:26:31 PM »
So was reviewing a member work and worked out a technique I use to try to write successful natural sounding dialogue (and story)...

Basically after writing a piece, I read it out loud to myself and imagine I'm talking to/having the conversation with my dad...

Basically... before you all think I'm crazy... my dad is one of the most cynical people I know (I love him but it's true...) so if something - even the smallest detail - sounds off, I know he would turn his nose up at it and laugh, prompting me to work on improving it. For me this helps to avoid writing corny or forced lines.

It does take a certain degree of empathy and knowing a cynic... but think of it as basically writing to please the standards of someone that won't accept any mistakes, and someone who if given a line that sounded odd wouldn't read it out loud even to help you out :P

Offline Lumaria

• Editor Group
    • View Profile
« Reply #995 on: October 07, 2014, 09:48:39 PM »
Thats basically applies to everything...and you really need to have that side to you. It seems you're finally understanding what it takes to write No1sey. Takes me back to the time when you preached casual writing.

Offline NO1SY

• Life is LOUD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #996 on: October 08, 2014, 08:04:38 AM »
Hahahaha well I'm still a casual sorrrrry....

But it just occurred to me that this is the technique I use when writing dialogue... I guess it helps that I have a cynical parent :P I just imagine the two of us reading the script I write as if we are practicing a play. My dad would be the last person to say anything corny or stupid...

I still think that people can write whatever they want and write to satisfy themselves, but they should still aim to improve themselves and their writing, otherwise you stop being able to satisfy even yourself.

Offline everlastin01

• Learning/attempting writer
  • Working on story and practing things
    • View Profile
« Reply #997 on: October 08, 2014, 02:26:07 PM »
So in other words you are still supporting casual writing as sorta a practice to get yourself better before and while you are writing stories?
Coryn's assistant

and Rouge Student (Galactic Raiders)

Offline Lumaria

• Editor Group
    • View Profile
« Reply #998 on: October 08, 2014, 02:29:52 PM »
Hahahaha well I'm still a casual sorrrrry....

But it just occurred to me that this is the technique I use when writing dialogue... I guess it helps that I have a cynical parent :P I just imagine the two of us reading the script I write as if we are practicing a play. My dad would be the last person to say anything corny or stupid...

I still think that people can write whatever they want and write to satisfy themselves, but they should still aim to improve themselves and their writing, otherwise you stop being able to satisfy even yourself.
no, it wasn't that you were a casual writer back then, but whenever i gave critique you would preach casualness to the point that you didn't allow people to get the use of the advice.

Thats something that should never be done even if you are casual writer....when you get critique, dont preach a side that just means no effort. You're not really "casual" anymore either if you're now relying on cynicism to get you moving.

Offline NO1SY

• Life is LOUD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #999 on: October 08, 2014, 03:38:48 PM »
Woah woah woah there, I never preached for anyone to not use the advice they were given. Just for reviewers not to push the advice they give any further than suggestion and to understand people's motives for what they write.

@everlastin - not really. I mean that even if you write casually with no motovation to actually make a career out of it, you should still be looking to improve yourself and your writing. You can use it as a means of practice if you want, but at the end of the day it's really about getting the most out of yourself and improving life skills.

Even if you are happy with the level you write at and feel like you don't need to get better, there will come a point where what you write won't satisfy you anymore and so its a good idea to always look to improve so you can always be happy with your work.

Offline Lumaria

• Editor Group
    • View Profile
« Reply #1000 on: October 08, 2014, 06:44:59 PM »
Woah woah woah there, I never preached for anyone to not use the advice they were given. Just for reviewers not to push the advice they give any further than suggestion and to understand people's motives for what they write.

It was much more than that. May I point to some of what youve said ::) in areas outside of ppls stories and more into a particular area where.general advice was given?

There was a point when you really did preach about It against the reviewers regardless of what the author thought of it.

Offline NO1SY

• Life is LOUD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1001 on: October 08, 2014, 06:54:39 PM »
Well if there are any exact examples where people think I went too far then I do apologise.

Also my advice should not be taken as gospel :P It comes from a very unprofessional, self-serving and self-built standpoint (nothing but an A grade in English GCSE, a lifetime of enjoyment of literature and 9 or so years reading manga)... but if people find something they like in it then they can take from it what they will. I try to at least make it helpful and accessible.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2014, 06:57:23 PM by NO1SEY »

Offline Lovus Eternius

• Firstborne INC. Grandmaster Chief Chief Executive Officer
  • Firstborne INC. Making life great again.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1002 on: October 08, 2014, 09:53:07 PM »
I used to read, then I took a twilight saga to the brain.

Offline Lumaria

• Editor Group
    • View Profile
« Reply #1003 on: October 09, 2014, 04:21:25 AM »
Im also losing the passion for reading. Mainly because the more, I read the more books are targetted toward teens. The more popular books are always the gate way to reading novels but it never evolves

Offline NO1SY

• Life is LOUD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1004 on: October 09, 2014, 07:06:00 AM »
I had a phase where I wasn't reading anything (aside from manga). A few years in fact... It was about the time of my English GCSE actually...

I had always been into a certain type of story - usually crime/action thrillers with a bit of mystery thrown in - and about that time I had finished up all of the really stand out series - The Bourne trilogy by Robert Ludlum (and up to date with the continuations by Eric van Lustbader), The complete Sherlock Holmes Collection by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, The Dan Brown series, and I was up to date with my current favourite; the Sigma Force series by James Rollins. Before that time I had been interested in all manner of things though, from the Darren Shah Series to novels to Rudyard Kiplings poems and stories...

My Grandmother made sure I had an appreciation for literature and the English language... but studying it kinda sapped my interest (especially Shakespeare and modern Poetry...).

All it's taken recently is sitting down, when I have some time, on my kindle and browsing through the books on offer. Same can be done sitting in a bookstore. I ignore all the popular stuff and just look for the blurbs that interest me. There is something for everyone, just like in manga, you just have to sift through to find it.