April 19, 2024, 01:22:08 AM

------------------------------------------

PLZ READ THIS ALL ACTIVE MEMBERS

CLICK Here.

Author Topic: Writer Discussion Table  (Read 320374 times)

Offline GingerStark

• Social & Political Scientist
  • There is no single truth, only contingent theories
    • View Profile
Re: Writer Discussion Table
« Reply #945 on: September 24, 2014, 10:49:14 AM »
I know that feel bro, seems everyday I'm getting new ideas. Thinking of doing a fallout-inspired story now...

Offline legomaestro

• High Chancellor of Righteousness
  • Global Moderator
  • real life has wack graphics
    • View Profile
« Reply #946 on: September 24, 2014, 11:04:50 AM »
Don't! it's for your own good >..> This addiction must be curbed. Be faithful to the stories you have already written!

Writers Anonymous

Hi, I'm Lego, and I have a writing problem.

"Hi Lego!"

Haha, fallout-inspired huh. I really want to play that game. What ideas were you having for that one?

Offline NO1SY

• Resident Slacker
  • Will eat your cookies
    • View Profile
« Reply #947 on: September 24, 2014, 11:18:31 AM »
Maaaaaan... so slow on my end... its really disheartening rewriting parts of my work and in general I'm so busy with uni that I just can't find proper time to get motivated to do it... so for me Public Enemy No.2 is on indefinite hiatus...

Once things calm down I definitely plan to write more for The Grand Unification as I have a lot of fun writing that, but I think I'm gonna turn it into a collection of shorts probably. But we will see.

At the moment working as part of team paper dragons which I think is going fairly well and probably going to be a good collaboration effort. So most of my spare time not on here I spend trying to get things moving there (timezones suck...).

I've found I feel more like an ideas man... the problem is that doesn't help me as a writer. I don't want to come up with a tens of ideas that will never get written, I want to work hard on a couple before moving on... but i'm better at coming up with concepts than I am at writing. I think that's a realisation that a lot of people that come to the site should take note of... writing the chapters and scripting them is a whole different ball game in comparison to just coming up with a viable idea... I was probably a bit naive when I joined... I have changed my outlook now (and as such my portfolio...).

I look forward to having time and energy to write again though. Probably once I settle into my project and get most of the prerequisite scientific paper reading out of the way. I have a couple of ideas that I would like to try and write for as kind of short projects - I feel that's the best place to start. Then over the holidays I plan to brush up on some drawing skills!

Offline legomaestro

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #948 on: September 24, 2014, 11:29:58 AM »
Nice nice nice.

Always be careful with the school balancing act. Especially science >....<

But yeah I figured that out too about the writing thing. I call it 'being in development hell'. Where it's so easy and simple to develop a story and make character lists and basically theorize all over it, but find it near impossible to actually write. Tis why I'm slowly getting rid of using any outlines at all and feeling out the story as I write.

Have you got anything written for the Grand Unification thing?

Offline Coryn

• Director of the MR Science Division
  • Global Moderator
  • Secretly a 13 year old girl.
    • View Profile
« Reply #949 on: September 24, 2014, 11:45:48 AM »
Man, I got a lot of ideas recently but too much time is going to playing Destiny for me to implement them.

This game is ruining my life. But damn if I care.

Will review stories upon request. My latest arc: http://goo.gl/KYgsfF

Offline Shiratori

• View Profile
« Reply #950 on: September 24, 2014, 11:48:50 AM »
Maaaaaan... so slow on my end... its really disheartening rewriting parts of my work and in general I'm so busy with uni that I just can't find proper time to get motivated to do it... so for me Public Enemy No.2 is on indefinite hiatus...

Once things calm down I definitely plan to write more for The Grand Unification as I have a lot of fun writing that, but I think I'm gonna turn it into a collection of shorts probably. But we will see.

At the moment working as part of team paper dragons which I think is going fairly well and probably going to be a good collaboration effort. So most of my spare time not on here I spend trying to get things moving there (timezones suck...).

I've found I feel more like an ideas man... the problem is that doesn't help me as a writer. I don't want to come up with a tens of ideas that will never get written, I want to work hard on a couple before moving on... but i'm better at coming up with concepts than I am at writing. I think that's a realisation that a lot of people that come to the site should take note of... writing the chapters and scripting them is a whole different ball game in comparison to just coming up with a viable idea... I was probably a bit naive when I joined... I have changed my outlook now (and as such my portfolio...).

I look forward to having time and energy to write again though. Probably once I settle into my project and get most of the prerequisite scientific paper reading out of the way. I have a couple of ideas that I would like to try and write for as kind of short projects - I feel that's the best place to start. Then over the holidays I plan to brush up on some drawing skills!
I know how you feel. I also have lots of concept ideas. I could write a lot of stories. But I don't know how they would turn out though. To finish your stories, the best advices I can give you are:

- Time is short, focus only in one project.

- Finish that project! You have to!! The problem with 99% of amateurs stories is that they never reach the end. And finishing the project will give you a major confidence boost... only to be shattered when you have no readers ( ; _ ; )

- Don't start writing right after thinking about the premise. Mature the ideas in your head (this took me a month without writing a word). Try to layout all the events and chapters, write the ideas in short summaries, including all the scenes you think that are important. Think about how the story will end and how it will reach there.

- I usually never have writer's block, maybe because I have read/seen thousands of stories in my life (movies, anime, manga...) and they serve as inspiration (copying them and using clichés is no good though  :noyoudon't: so you have to twist the concepts around). The problem is that I have a lot of ideas and I can't write them fast enough. So, I note them down for later.

- If you have great ideas for a new project while working on something, just note them down to work on them later and focus on your current project. You can work on those ideas once you finish what you were doing (and with time, maybe you'll realize the idea was not so good.)

Hope it helps.

The writer who penned Clashing Feelings. You can buy the light novel on Amazon.

Offline NO1SY

• Resident Slacker
  • Will eat your cookies
    • View Profile
« Reply #951 on: September 24, 2014, 12:02:32 PM »
I have about the first 3rd of the next instalment. Unfortunately I accidentally deleted the bookmark for the webpage I was using for research and now I can't find it again and can't remember the name of the place where the battle happens! Just my luck :P

I'm having fun coming up with some factions for a different story... you can really get creative and stuck in there, but making sure that they all have a relevant impact and function in the world is hard.

I'm more excited about finally being in a canon story though :D it takes a lot of creativity to write those so well done to all who have!

Offline legomaestro

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #952 on: September 24, 2014, 12:08:44 PM »
Canon stories have unfortunately become intimidating to write for some people? >.> But really mostly anything flies (If you do not make Lego wear a trenchcoat we will have a problem.)

@ Shiratori Some helpful tips there. Some of them I've even said before but it's helpful when you hear it from another party.

@ Coryn Man the way I'll get into Destiny as soon as I have the chance. You think it'll be around in a year Coryn? Reading mixed reviews about it.

Offline NO1SY

• Resident Slacker
  • Will eat your cookies
    • View Profile
« Reply #953 on: September 24, 2014, 12:17:38 PM »
@Shiratori

I fully intend to finish Public Enemy No.2, but it needs a lot of rewriting to change a whole character essentially and I just don't have time to do that right now. The first chapter is fine as it stands now though I think but might need a little tinker.

I like writing 2 stories at the same time especially two that are as different as mine. As a casual writer it helps me stay motivated to write at least something. But I would never write more than that myself.

It's not that I have writers block, just a general lack of motivation to sit down and write in the very little free time I have now that I'm back at uni. Luckily I will work as part of the paper dragons team so that i'm not 100% a lazy ass :P

I have tons of mind-maps for all of my ideas on the side... gotta prevent myself from getting too excited to write for them though... I have to focus!

Offline legomaestro

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #954 on: September 24, 2014, 12:25:02 PM »
I heard from a podcast on making comics that a dude found himself more productive after he got married. He was more aware of how much his time was passing since he needed to schedule time for his art, his hobby and his married life and that in turn made him have a better work ethic. I totally believe that. Even if you had a super free schedule you'd lose any sense of urgency >.> It's hard to rile yourself up to work like that.

Offline NO1SY

• Resident Slacker
  • Will eat your cookies
    • View Profile
« Reply #955 on: September 24, 2014, 12:43:57 PM »
Sorted! I'll get married!

Offline legomaestro

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #956 on: September 24, 2014, 12:50:34 PM »
Oooooy! Let's not get hasty now

Offline Shiratori

• View Profile
« Reply #957 on: September 24, 2014, 12:58:14 PM »
Isn't getting in a relationship counter-productive? I mean, you need to spend time with your sweet :heart: , so less free time.

I like writing 2 stories at the same time especially two that are as different as mine.
I could never do that. I'd go crazy  ::) One story is tiring enough and I make many mistakes as it is. When I'm proofreading, sometimes I find big plot inconsistencies that I go, oh my god  :ohmy: (just hope I didn't let any pass)

About lack of motivation, tell me about it! I'm also lazy by nature, but I was all happy when I was writing my 1st story. It turned out much better than I ever thought I would be capable of. My motivation was so high that I started writing a sequel. But after releasing my story on the net, and getting 0 comments/0 views every day, it started killing me inside. I'm so sad and unmotivated that I simply can't get to work...

I mean, I love writing, it's a lot of fun. But revising it and making it presentable, all that is very hard and boring work. So why am going through that? Anyone feels the same?
The writer who penned Clashing Feelings. You can buy the light novel on Amazon.

Offline NO1SY

• Resident Slacker
  • Will eat your cookies
    • View Profile
« Reply #958 on: September 24, 2014, 01:08:27 PM »
Kinda, I know the feeling where you've got a story and you've put it out there and you want to hear people's opinions of it so you sit there for like 30 seconds after posting it and then check to see if anyone has commented :P

But making your story presentable is a big deal, you should just try and think of it as part of the writing and posting process. It makes reading a piece of work that much more enjoyable.

Offline Lovus Eternius

• I'm just a writer.
  • Firstborne INC. Making life great again.
    • View Profile
« Reply #959 on: September 24, 2014, 01:13:21 PM »
My stories used too many words. Now I have no words, yet still 2000 words for first chapter of new Manga concept.

Don't want to post new chapter right now though. Too good.