April 17, 2024, 09:04:43 PM

------------------------------------------

PLZ READ THIS ALL ACTIVE MEMBERS

CLICK Here.

Author Topic: Writer Discussion Table  (Read 320287 times)

Offline codenametukaioo7

• Manga and Anime freak
  • Do what ever, but don't lose your cool.
    • View Profile
Re: Writer Discussion Table
« Reply #780 on: March 27, 2014, 10:26:30 AM »
Well, Can I ask for a little help here.

I have two question that a writer can answer.

1.How to not get bored when you write.I mean when I write on a paper or type on computer, I get bored soon and think I will continue later. So how to not get bored?

2.How to make a One-shot?Well whatever story I write, I end up making them big,big and big so how to make a one-shot?I have two story in mind and this time I choose stories which are hard to expand.One of them was suppose to be One-shot however I just can't compress it.I at least need 10 chapter for the One-short story.

1. Think of what you'd like to achieve in different scenes and don't stop until you achieve them.

2. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vA4ugPpJ5xM&list=UULzeEDg7RntDRdORfjI9ibA

Good advice (talking about 1). Will try to a do that.
Thanks for the link, still haven't watched it but will.

As for the one shot: it varies. Usually having one shots is to introduce us to a story but having us wanting more. Sometimes one shots are just gaidens off another existing story.

Introduce the basics of a plot and whatever deeper plot is out there, don't add it in. That doesn't mean one shots can't have plot twists though but make sure you tie up lose ends or seem like its going to be tied up soon enough.

So a one-shot does not need to be stand alone or end it then and there.Then I can do it.

Offline legomaestro

• High Chancellor of Righteousness
  • Global Moderator
  • real life has wack graphics
    • View Profile
« Reply #781 on: April 12, 2014, 04:49:23 PM »
Just wrote about a Time Travelling shark (named Fang) that goes around devouring potential tyrants/dictators/any sort of evil overlord. One must do anything if they want to get 1000 words a day haha...

Surprisingly, that spawned an organization that becomes aware of the shark. And a hunter named Moby basically says 'not everything is set in stone, that shark is just evil'. And goes hunting after it.

Offline Coach Fro

• Head Coach and Founder of The MR Fighters Division
  • Coach by day, Gravedigger by night...
    • View Profile
« Reply #782 on: April 15, 2014, 12:49:05 PM »
Starting to question whether or not if going to school for creative writing is a good idea or not...

Initially, I declared creative writing as my major because I wasn't sure if I wanted to do game design or not. After putting more thought into it, I realized that going with what I know best was the best option for me. So I stuck with it.

But now as I'm taking all these classes, I'm beginning to wonder if this is best option for me.

You see the things is, I have no intention of becoming a novelist or anything like that. I just wanted to get better at writing. And while I am learning all sorts of valuable things in my studies, it still feels like that in end, the payout won't be worth it.

I already checked out the potential career paths that comes with a creative writing degree, and I was completely uninterested in everything I saw.

I wanna be a writer. I know that for sure. It's what I wanna write about and how's that gonna secure me financially is what I'm worried about.

So yeah, just wanted to share that with you all. I'm still a freshman in college so I guess I shouldn't stress too much about it. Any input or advice would definitely be appreciated.
Messatsu...

Offline Coryn

• Director of the MR Science Division
  • Global Moderator
  • Secretly a 13 year old girl.
    • View Profile
« Reply #783 on: April 15, 2014, 12:55:31 PM »
It's understandable. Creative writing is one of those slim majors.

Personally I went into engineering, I still write of course and want to be a novelist on the side, but I also want to be financially secure. The plan is to have both.

Will review stories upon request. My latest arc: http://goo.gl/KYgsfF

Offline Coach Fro

• View Profile
« Reply #784 on: April 15, 2014, 01:03:55 PM »
I see. That's the thing though. It's the backup plan that I haven't gotten down yet.

I was seriously considering competitive video gaming as a backup, but even that's a gamble. Oh well, I'll figure it out eventually.
Messatsu...

Offline legomaestro

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #785 on: April 15, 2014, 05:46:16 PM »
Good ruck with that man, and be sure to give some deep thought about it when you can! no pressure or anything but it is important

Offline Nairbons

• A Rootin' Tootin' Cowpoke
    • View Profile
« Reply #786 on: April 15, 2014, 07:20:56 PM »
Writing doesn't have to be your first option. In fact, I'd say that you'd be better off making a stable career for yourself and getting a bit more life experience before you even think about writing professionally. Unlike film, there is no set age for writers to be, and heck, it's far more common to see folks start writing at 40 than it is for a fresh-out-of-college youngster.

I'd say: get yourself a skill that you can work with and use to ply a trade before you think about writing as a career. You've gotta live in the world before you write about it. Even if you want a career related to writing or creativity (journalism, communications, advertising), you can take that road.

WHATEVER YOU DO, THOUGH: DON'T TRY TO BECOME AN ENGLISH TEACHER. The West is flooded with a generation of hipsters that are convinced they're going to become Robin William's character from "Dead Poet Society." That market is well past it's saturation point, and it's not worth risking for a teacher's salary.

Offline Lumaria

• Editor Group
  • Someone who will tell you what you need to hear
    • View Profile
« Reply #787 on: April 15, 2014, 07:22:36 PM »
i 100% agree with this. get a stable carreer before risking everything.
Stop playing victim....you know what you did.

Offline Coach Fro

• View Profile
« Reply #788 on: April 16, 2014, 09:34:18 AM »
WHATEVER YOU DO, THOUGH: DON'T TRY TO BECOME AN ENGLISH TEACHER. The West is flooded with a generation of hipsters that are convinced they're going to become Robin William's character from "Dead Poet Society." That market is well past it's saturation point, and it's not worth risking for a teacher's salary.

Oh trust me good sir, I'm never ever gonna even try to consider that option. I'm not gonna work for a system I don't believe in.

But I do thank you guys for your advice. I think I'm just gonna give game designing a shot. Probably gonna take up programming or something along those lines. Whatever that doesn't involve drawing anything, I'm all for it.
Messatsu...

Offline Ink on Fingers

• Don't just think about wanting to make something happen - make it happen.
  • Inky fingers - the sign of a true manga artist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #789 on: April 17, 2014, 09:30:21 AM »

Oh trust me good sir, I'm never ever gonna even try to consider that option. I'm not gonna work for a system I don't believe in.

But I do thank you guys for your advice. I think I'm just gonna give game designing a shot. Probably gonna take up programming or something along those lines. Whatever that doesn't involve drawing anything, I'm all for it.
Hell yeah, take up programming!  :D ;D :thumbsup: It's entertaining and creative, plus there's a lot of job opportunities (I think).

I'll stop procrastinating soon! Probably. . .

Offline legomaestro

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #790 on: April 17, 2014, 09:42:13 AM »
Eeeeh. English Teacher gig is that bad?

Offline everlastin01

• Learning/attempting writer
  • Working on story and practing things
    • View Profile
« Reply #791 on: April 17, 2014, 11:27:37 AM »
Actually about the game programmer thing, you don't have to go to college to do it. The internet/youtube is full of tutorials that can help you and you won't have to spend boo-koo money for them just to point you in the directions of the tutorials.
Coryn's assistant

and Rouge Student (Galactic Raiders)

Offline Coryn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #792 on: April 17, 2014, 02:43:12 PM »
yes but if he plans to go pro with it, a college degree never hurts.

Offline Artyom

• View Profile
« Reply #793 on: April 19, 2014, 12:41:07 AM »
Has anyone heard  Joseph Campbell's theory called  the Hero's Journey?
He explains that most protagonists from various of stories follow a distinct pattern and structure. It's a similarity that is more than a simple beginning, middle, and an end. I always look to this theory every time I suffer from a writer's block.
There's a YouTube video titled 'What makes a hero?' that explain the theory in depth, created by TED-ed. I think it's worth a watch for writers of any median including manga. 
(Edit: I don't have 25 posts so I can't post the link sorry.)
« Last Edit: April 19, 2014, 01:38:47 AM by Artyom »

Offline Coryn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #794 on: April 19, 2014, 01:28:49 AM »
plenty familiar with the concept. after all it's one of the more famous combinations of the 7 plots.