October 18, 2019, 05:13:57 PM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: Writer Discussion Table  (Read 109552 times)

Offline 50 Words for Paipis

• View Profile
Re: Writer Discussion Table
« Reply #570 on: October 20, 2013, 10:15:59 AM »
I carry a notebook with me to a lot of places, so I suppose I do it on a notebook most of the time.

Offline legomaestro

• High Chancellor of Righteousness
  • Global Moderator
  • real life has wack graphics
    • View Profile
« Reply #571 on: October 20, 2013, 10:17:25 AM »
I see.

Do you use it often to record things? I just noticed I fell out of the habit, which is a pity but hopefully I've recovered from that.

• View Profile
« Reply #572 on: October 20, 2013, 10:38:15 AM »
I don't usually record things I see or hear, but more how observations I make might be relevant to a story of mine.

Offline legomaestro

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #573 on: October 20, 2013, 11:11:22 AM »
Well not everything, but just interesting stuff. I regret not doing that because for something like Mawaru for examlpe (when the show wasn't leaving me hopelessly enthralled) I'd have liked to jot down some of the feelings that I had at the time

Offline legomaestro

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #574 on: October 21, 2013, 11:15:38 AM »
Stephen King's On Writing is a great book. It's really put some things into focus for me, I hope to finish it by today. Guy is good at what he does.

• View Profile
« Reply #575 on: October 21, 2013, 11:26:37 AM »
Motivation to revise anyone? I've come to at least tolerate writing a first draft without revising, but revising, especially writing new scenes and trying to incorporate them with the old ones is excruciating.

Offline Coryn

• Director of the MR Science Division
  • Global Moderator
  • Secretly a 13 year old girl.
    • View Profile
« Reply #576 on: October 21, 2013, 11:39:48 AM »
I always try to listen to some of the music I used when writing it in the first place. Help's me get back into that original mindset some. Though if you don't use music, that might not be a very helpful tip.

Will review stories upon request. My latest arc: http://goo.gl/KYgsfF

• View Profile
« Reply #577 on: October 21, 2013, 11:42:19 AM »
I do use music, but I haven't been listening to enough music lately to find something I'm thrilled about. I'll do some digging and see if the music helps.

Offline legomaestro

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: October 21, 2013, 11:43:53 AM »
What revisions are you doing exactly? If it's completely writing new scenes then i'd say try to stay away from what you wrote at first as much as possible.

You could also take a slight tiny break and read something else for a while. The excitement of a good story could rub off on you.

I'd also say get out of the revision phase as soon as possible. Like by the end of this week or the beginning of the next be done with most of it. I'm not sure though, how much revision are you going to have to do before you start writing your story again?

• View Profile
« Reply #579 on: October 21, 2013, 11:51:51 AM »
I should clarify that I would be adding scenes to help understand certain things, but it's often not just free-writing, because I have to get from point A to point B, while still remaining relevant.

I haven't written anything in a couple days, so I think I might have more ideas when I look at the script afresh.

I plan to revise only for a couple days. I can spend an infinite amount of time revising, so I like to stop myself at some point. I also want to finish Dream Library. I might change some minor things, but I won't change anything major about the rewrite chapters once they're posted (Chapter 1 is posted with a couple changes, if you didn't know). I think the biggest service I can do myself at this point is finish something.

Offline legomaestro

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #580 on: October 21, 2013, 11:55:13 AM »
*sigh man must be nice to finish a project.

Surprisingly though I've added a few more words to a story i started on ecchiworld, Punks under the bridge. I think i'll just work with what comes with me. I'm depressed by how well plotted plots just aren't working for me.

You know the kind of story i really want to work on? I want some epic wanderer kind of main character, like Van from Gun X Sword, Vash from Trigun, Ogami from Lone Wolf and Cub, D from Vampire Hunter D, Roland from The Dark Tower and of course like Coryn from Coryn Sken.

I think those are pretty fun characters to work with hmmm... but I have nothing, and I really had better the projects that I already have on my plate.

Offline Nairbons

• A Rootin' Tootin' Cowpoke
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: October 21, 2013, 12:15:03 PM »
I got into the bad habit of editing my writing as it was being put on the page. It's a great way to write essays and such for school, but it's killer for storytelling. I always feel like it's harder to change my writing when I already went through the difficulty of making it flow dramatically, and further editing would just throw a wrench in things.

I suggest that you learn to ignore the typos and grammar glitches, and really get into the mindset of typing in that stream-o-consciousness way. It makes the revisions a bit harder to understand when looking for your original intent, but it's much easier and more satisfying to prune a page that's full of mistakes.

"Oh, wow! Did I forget a semicolon in the fourth paragraph? I'd better change the structure of the third act. Probably ought to kill off that love interest, too!"

Offline legomaestro

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #582 on: October 21, 2013, 03:55:40 PM »
I use wordpad to avoid that kind of problem. Helps a lot. Still wish i had a typewriter.

Yeay just clocked 3K words in one sitting! Woot!

• View Profile
« Reply #583 on: October 21, 2013, 09:57:48 PM »
Did some more mythological "research." Helps a bit to steal things from old stories.

Offline Nairbons

• A Rootin' Tootin' Cowpoke
    • View Profile
« Reply #584 on: October 21, 2013, 11:06:35 PM »
Did some more mythological "research." Helps a bit to steal things from old stories.

Man, does it ever. I've been reading a lot more of Mike Mignola's work on Hellboy, BPRD, and others. That man can find some of the most obscure creatures and gods, and they all come off as completely terrifying. It really lets you know that humans have always had bizzare, and often violent, imaginations.