October 20, 2019, 05:36:51 AM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: Writer Discussion Table  (Read 109646 times)

Offline IronQuill

• View Profile
Re: Writer Discussion Table
« Reply #555 on: October 12, 2013, 10:34:56 PM »
i agree with what Coryn said though, advice is just that...advice.  regardless of who gives it. i like a quote from Confucius

"If I am walking with two other men, each of them will serve as my teacher.
I will pick out the good points of the one and imitate them,
and the bad points of the other and correct them in myself"

Offline Lumaria

• Editor Group
  • Someone who will tell you what you need to hear
    • View Profile
« Reply #556 on: October 13, 2013, 01:39:34 AM »
take advice from ppl with the highest standards...but also who knows that there are restrictions that all genres need to follow at certain times.

Stop playing victim....you know what you did.

Offline B9F8

• thank you based doge 4 lyfe
    • View Profile
« Reply #557 on: October 13, 2013, 07:11:10 AM »
Quote from: Wilson Mizner
To profit from good advice requires more wisdom than to give it.

^That's pretty much my opinion when it comes to advice.

A man who has not written a masterpiece yet has no reason to share his advice with others, and in fact - any that he may share is probably bad or incorrect advice in the first place; which could be a testament to his current inability to write a masterpiece or an attempt to throw others off the ladder to greatness.

While someone who has already written a masterpiece, generally has nothing to lose and their advice has been tried and proven.

So @ Fronomonal

I do not disagree with what the guy is saying.

« Last Edit: October 13, 2013, 07:23:28 AM by B9F8 »

Offline legomaestro

• High Chancellor of Righteousness
  • Global Moderator
  • real life has wack graphics
    • View Profile
« Reply #558 on: October 13, 2013, 07:35:58 AM »

"You shouldn't take advice from someone who hasn't written a masterpiece."

the dangerous things about quotes from famous people is that they're taken as fundamental thruth.  I'd say no to this statement

Offline Coryn

• Director of the MR Science Division
  • Global Moderator
  • Secretly a 13 year old girl.
    • View Profile
« Reply #559 on: October 13, 2013, 10:51:19 AM »
Thinking about it, the thing I probably don't like the most about this quote is that it basically renders the idea of MR null and void if you believe in it.

Like, the whole point is a group of people who want to get better by helping each other out. All in it together until we make it to the stars and all. But I don't think any of us have penned a 'masterpiece'. So really, if you don't think anyone who hasn't written a masterpiece should be giving advice, why even show up at all?

Will review stories upon request. My latest arc: http://goo.gl/KYgsfF

Offline B9F8

• thank you based doge 4 lyfe
    • View Profile
« Reply #560 on: October 13, 2013, 11:35:34 AM »
Thinking about it, the thing I probably don't like the most about this quote is that it basically renders the idea of MR null and void if you believe in it.

Like, the whole point is a group of people who want to get better by helping each other out. All in it together until we make it to the stars and all. But I don't think any of us have penned a 'masterpiece'. So really, if you don't think anyone who hasn't written a masterpiece should be giving advice, why even show up at all?

To me, the point of a forum like this is (suppose to be) to share and practice knowledge that you've attained from people who have written or drawn successfully at a professional level. We aren't exactly here to learn from each other; we are here to help each other learn from and understand the masters.

This is of course my "ideal" manga making forum.

Offline legomaestro

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: October 13, 2013, 01:02:12 PM »
I'm pretty glad i'm living in my ideal forum

Offline 50 Words for Paipis

• View Profile
« Reply #562 on: October 13, 2013, 02:12:37 PM »
I understand the intent of the comment. The writer is simply warning against "How 2 Write" books in dollar stores. Fair enough.

Too, advice doesn't necessarily mean critique. Advice is given by someone with experience to someone with less experience to describe a way to solve certain problems. In other words, a "tip." Also fair.

Where I diverge from this viewpoint is in the use of the word "masterpiece." Is it even possible to quantify a masterpiece? No, not really. Any thing we regard as a masterpiece is going to coincide with our artistic ideals; therefore, we only take advice from people who already perfectly line up with what we find important in art and we ignore other perspectives. In my experience, changing what we find important in art (from "likable characters" to "well-executed characters" for instance) is a component of improving our art.

The other possible definition for "masterpiece" in this context is a piece that is famous and/or well-regarded among its respective community. But certainly there are pieces that get more attention than they deserve, and other pieces that don't get near enough attention.

So, even agreeing with part of what he's trying to express, I still find that the best solution is to weigh all advice logically. Sure, those who have written things I regard as masterpieces will give advice to which I ascribe greater weight, but I wouldn't ignore advice from a fellow writer who may have something helpful to say that he learned on his own.

Offline legomaestro

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: October 18, 2013, 04:43:52 PM »
Just forced myself to write 2000 words inspiration or not. It was brutal. Fighting against block is pretty bad. The best way to describe it was like it was a constipation of the brain. Nano is going to be even worse I suppose.

I forgot that horrible feeling of hating to hell whatever you're writing. I loathed it completely and utterly but still I managed to get through it. It would be really interesting if i could master going against such a strong anti-writing feeling. I think I'll turn out that much better if I can.

When I finally reached a reasonable stopping point in writing I pushed it into a wordcounter to see how much I had remaining to write: 2307 words. Phew! I was done! And epic feels all around.

• View Profile
« Reply #564 on: October 18, 2013, 06:31:43 PM »
Ouch. I've been trying to write more and more at a time. The problem is I get distracted for ideas in later parts of the story. Inspiration can actually hurt you sometimes.

Offline legomaestro

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #565 on: October 18, 2013, 09:17:54 PM »
Man seriously? Give me this endless well of inspiration please!

• View Profile
« Reply #566 on: October 18, 2013, 11:03:55 PM »
*Draws some inspiration water* Here ya go! DISCLAIMER: Inspiration does not write the story for you.

Maybe a development of style would help. What have you liked about the past few animes you've watched/mangas you've read? Right now, because of Penguindrum, I'm gorging some books on mythology and folklore so I can use some of their subjects as symbols.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2013, 12:30:28 AM by Paipis Panella »

Offline legomaestro

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #567 on: October 19, 2013, 05:24:24 AM »
I take it you looked into some of the symbology of it all huh? There were so many forum discussions and takes on everything down to the ending. Some things became clearer to me only because I saw these discussions. That was one multi-layered story. I don't know how people can write something like that without obstructing the story completely.

Offline legomaestro

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #568 on: October 20, 2013, 06:28:51 AM »
Question

Where do you keep your writer notes? Digitally or on an actual notepad? Which do you find to be better?

Offline Khaliisto

• The pen is mightier than the sword, but not an axe
    • View Profile
« Reply #569 on: October 20, 2013, 07:39:25 AM »
Question

Where do you keep your writer notes? Digitally or on an actual notepad? Which do you find to be better?

Not sure if this question was asked in general, but if it was, I do both. There are actually times where the classic feel of pencil/pen and pad makes the creativity flow better for me. Not to mention there are just sometimes where I definitely don't feel like typing.

On the other hand, depending on if I need to format what I'm writing, as in a numbered list or a chart, something that would benefit from being able to have more structure, I definitely use the computer. The great thing about it is the ability to easily back up, edit, (with my handwriting, read) and such. Although digital documents obviously aren't totally impervious to being lost, it feels far less likely, especially when I store them online, that any harm will ever come to my work.

At the end of the day, I always keep a small notepad and a small pencil with me, as creativity often flows when I'm not at home. Later, I type those scribbled little lines up so I can save them.
"Bread is the paper of the restaurant industry. You write your sandwich on it."-Dwight K. Schrute, Assistant to the Regional Manager.