October 13, 2019, 11:14:49 PM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: Writer Discussion Table  (Read 109179 times)

Offline legomaestro

• High Chancellor of Righteousness
  • Global Moderator
  • real life has wack graphics
    • View Profile
Re: Writer Discussion Table
« Reply #300 on: July 04, 2012, 11:49:43 AM »
Haha, we hear you.

Another topic... Let's say you had to design a 'killing curse' in a fantasy world as an awesome mage who can create spells... what would your killing curse do?

I'll go first. I'd say the spell wipes your brain completely, leaving it unable to feel, sense or control body functions. It would be an instant black out and painless. The body would die soon after...

P4

« Reply #301 on: July 04, 2012, 01:03:37 PM »
user retired
« Last Edit: December 14, 2013, 02:44:06 AM by user retired »

Offline legomaestro

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: July 04, 2012, 01:17:37 PM »
Well i mean curse in the generic sense of the word. Just a 'bad' spell. You as the curse designer, how would you craft the spell? Minus the possible side-effects and such, because we don't have a proper frame of reference to tell what cost the spells come at.

Offline ravenx2000

• View Profile
« Reply #303 on: July 12, 2012, 01:39:47 PM »
While thinking out abbilities I always make a char and get a power that basicly gives them the ability to do what they can't. Also persona get's into this. Basicly like Death Note did, really worked well with the main char gave the immunity annonimity but maximum terror and control. The question i think should be what does my char want and what's a good tool to obtain it. Thinking of random curses or ability or powers kinda is grabbing things from thin air without having any meaning towards whatever you would like to use it for? not?

to get back on topic,

Curse hmmz let's say for a tormented persona, giving one the feeling of what they felt when something was done to them would be a good start + also all the physical harm that came with it.

Curse hmm for a good guy reverse age back to 0 wipe mem/or not and start over. Like a 2nd chance. After someone realised they are rotten to the core and are repentwise on a crossroad to good. Just giving a badguy a 2nd chance without that realisation is not very good.

Curse females not being able to give birth or gold turning to copper would rob people of power/money and the progression of they're lineage

Also P4 makes a good argument again coming back to throwing ideas wildly into the air amounts to little or nothing when it's not clear wich boundries you're working with. Same a fantasy, dear lord only the thought of defination of it makes my toes curl xD

Offline Aoife Pen

• Procrastinate to glory!
  • HeLloo
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: August 23, 2012, 09:55:27 PM »
I think the best type of curse should something that slowly separates you from those you love in the beginning.
Like every time you develop feelings for some one else the curse spreads to them, but in an accelerated fashion.

While you have to go through the symptoms for three months they go through it in three days.

which then effects you socially, emotionally and even mentally. By the end your begging for death. But let's say if you kill a young child and eat their heart you'll be healed.  there is no other way, you either become a killer to be with the one you love, or you love them and watch them die before you, or you kill your self.
“The difference between the right word and the almost right word is the difference between lightning and a lightning bug.”
? Mark Twain, The Wit and Wisdom of Mark Twain: A Book of Quotations

Offline legomaestro

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: September 23, 2012, 09:48:45 AM »

Hmm... You know in anime you see the characters clenching their fists and shouting "I WILL FOLLOW MY DREAM?!" have you already reached that stage with writing? I think i've been underestimating my wish a little... maybe i should cross that line and say through hell or high water, i'm gonna write!!

just being random. Also, read tonnes of novels recently. It be fun.

P4

« Reply #306 on: September 23, 2012, 10:33:27 AM »
user retired
« Last Edit: December 14, 2013, 01:35:31 AM by user retired »

Offline Coryn

• Director of the MR Science Division
  • Global Moderator
  • Secretly a 13 year old girl.
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: September 23, 2012, 10:55:02 AM »
I guess so sure. I mean I know I decided back in high school that i would be a writer, and here i am still writing. Hard to be inspired sometimes sure. And really i'm not the type who likes to write without the juices flowing. but yes i think so.

Will review stories upon request. My latest arc: http://goo.gl/KYgsfF

Offline Darksquirrel

• Mine is the fury
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: September 23, 2012, 11:20:13 AM »
I had an idea in school the other day.Since lots of people make their own characters for manga series and such ,to help new writers develop them we could make a topic where they create short stories recounting one or 2 exploits from their characters lives.We could call it  the character pub(as if the characters are sharing stories ,but not literally -_-) ,thoughts?
Light novel guildsmen, Click here

P4

« Reply #309 on: September 23, 2012, 11:23:16 AM »
user retired
« Last Edit: December 14, 2013, 01:35:11 AM by user retired »

Offline Darksquirrel

• Mine is the fury
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: September 23, 2012, 11:43:46 AM »
I suppose so.Although members still give each other advice etc.

Offline Cookies

• View Profile
« Reply #311 on: September 23, 2012, 12:13:20 PM »
Adding to the character pub thing, you can have "in-character" discussions and Q&A type conversations between the characters. This helps the writer flush out who he/she wants the character to be.

Actually, this is a technique authors usually do by themselves. I think it'll be a lot more fun with other people  :blush:

Offline Darksquirrel

• Mine is the fury
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: September 23, 2012, 12:16:54 PM »
So il make the thread then ;D On a side note how do i put images in my signature?

Offline Darksquirrel

• Mine is the fury
    • View Profile

Offline Nyxy

• Disciple of the Muses
  • I write what I imagine.
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: September 23, 2012, 12:34:18 PM »
You have to use the img tags and make sure the image you are sharing is uploaded to a photo sharing site like photobucket, flicker or on a url that does not block images. You cannot add a file that is just on your computer unfortunately.

When you update your signature it should look like this

[img.]http://photo url [/img.]

take the . out I put them there so the code would not disappear so basically you put that before your image's url and it should give you a picture:

In my mind there are thousands of stories all waiting to be told to others.

http://mangaraiders01.wordpress.com/ Tune in the the MR Cast for all things Manga Raiders.