April 19, 2024, 12:39:02 AM

------------------------------------------

PLZ READ THIS ALL ACTIVE MEMBERS

CLICK Here.

Author Topic: Writer Discussion Table  (Read 320368 times)

Offline legomaestro

• High Chancellor of Righteousness
  • Global Moderator
  • real life has wack graphics
    • View Profile
Re: Writer Discussion Table
« Reply #195 on: February 24, 2011, 07:50:37 AM »
I better check out this story your talking about...

Offline Tostificer

• Lord Conqueror Toast
  • Bigger they come, harder they fall
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: February 24, 2011, 07:53:56 AM »
Bros with Legomaestro since 2010. I think.

Offline yukihana

• Writing my way forward
  • I write my own destiny
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: March 26, 2011, 08:20:53 PM »
I don't experience writer's block and hope to goodness I never do, step away from your writing material for a week or so, do anything and everything that is not related to your story.

Once the week has expired read through your story again, especially if you have a gap between let's say the middle and the end of your story, what scenes can you insert that would continue your story, can your main characters be seperated for a short of period if that has not already occurred in your story.

Can a new character step in and upset the balance type of thing etc.

Just keep rinsing and washing repeating over again if needed, no point to forcing yourself if something is not going to happen, like taking from the thin air.

All the best.
Alternate World - Loveless Fanfiction

Offline legomaestro

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: April 17, 2011, 07:50:18 PM »
So guys, tryna test out a new style on a number of one-shots. So i have this one-shot idea, could you help with input?

I want to make a Sci-fi or Fantasy Horror

The core theme is fighting against darkness.

For the Fantasy theme - After the end of a story, where the good-guys have lost against evil, darkness took over the world. (Literal darkness) This darkness is deadly and whoever is covered in it too long is torn to pieces or simply lost into it. The world has remaining settlements filled with light that try to fend off the darkness. There are agents of Light and Dark. The remaining good guys are trying to locate a 'light nuke' of sorts that'll illuminate the whole world (by explosion/ unlocking the sun or whatever)
the agents of dark are trying to pierce the settelements and generally stop the goodguys

For the Sci-fi setting: A planet-ship is on a long journey in space and sometime through it's systems start shutting down and as the process continues social order breaks down as people panic. Eventually the ship will completely shut down and everyone will die. A cyborg, given orders by a high-ranking scientist, is entrusted with a last remaining generator of sorts to restart the ship, however it turns out there is an enemy actively involved in shuttind down the ship, and they're after the cyborg.

Which?

Any ideas on how to shorten them into proper one-shots?

Any input appreciated.

Offline Coryn

• Director of the MR Science Division
  • Global Moderator
  • Secretly a 13 year old girl.
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: April 17, 2011, 10:32:43 PM »
well i say the first one. but give it a sort of sci fi twist at the same time.

also cause i had a dream a lot like it once. world being engulfed in deadly darkness and what not. funny how *censored* like that works

Will review stories upon request. My latest arc: http://goo.gl/KYgsfF

Offline legomaestro

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: August 05, 2011, 02:32:18 PM »
Haha, now i feel bad about simply asking without doing anything about the project. I'll work on it some day.

Anyway Coryn, explain this!

*throws link on table

http://www.writing.com/main/portfolio/view/corynsken

You didn't say you got an account there. But i guess everyone agrees with me on your writing prowess. It's great to see they liked it. I'd have loved to see their reviews as well if they made any.

Are you going to post more?
« Last Edit: August 05, 2011, 04:48:18 PM by legomaestro »

Offline Coryn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: August 05, 2011, 03:55:04 PM »
ehe. yeah that thing. no idea if i'll post more. i'm rather hesitant to put the main body of CS out there after all. my post some more life and times stuff if it ever strikes me as appropriate.

and can you not see the reviews it got?

Offline legomaestro

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: August 05, 2011, 04:52:37 PM »
Nope i can't for some reason... They must've been set as 'private' reviews. I always make mine public.

Well let's hope you find it appropriate to do so.

Offline Coryn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: August 05, 2011, 05:48:28 PM »
umm...hold on. let me work some copy paste magic.

1)Awsome story!
My favorite line is "or space marines, or Mayas, or whatever the case may be.”

“The Maya shot you up?”

The flipent way the information is given in the heat of the moment and the by play was just right.

"forces Coryn to take alternate measures" alternate measures seems off somehow.
Perhaps change meathods, but that doesn't sound right either.

This sentence seems Alien yet familiar. Coryn. “Go time now?”

"He pulls out an unopened bottle of bourbon and opens it up" It's not nesesary to say unopened
as soon as they’re out of the door" isn't nesesary if we know that they are already out of the building.
My grammar isn't top notch but I know what I like.
And I liked this.
I used to use all advice given to me and I had bland stories.
Use what you want pitch the reast.
Read you later.

2) Awesome characters! Awesome plot development! Really really awesome diologue! Loved it!
The document as a whole needs a little...little polish here and there, but I really loved it!

3) First of all, let me welcome you to WDC. I see you are new here, and I want to reinforce the fact that you have made a great choice. You'll find many people here who are willing to help. So Welcome Aboard.

Now to your story. Please understand that what I write here reflects only my personal opinion, and whatever suggestions I might make are offered for your consideration; you are the final authority.

STORYLINE: This is an action-packed story with a number of characters. The opening paragraph functions similarly to a prologue, setting the time and place through exposition. This is fine.since the story commences at a fairly rapid pace until its conclusion. I can't be sure if this is meant to be a self-contained short story or a part of a larger work-in-progress. I suspect it is the latter?
TECHNICAL ISSUES: You have written this story in the third person POV. However, since Coryn plays such a major role in the story, you might consider writing it from the first person POV...This will have the added benefit of self-correcting some of its other weak spots.

You have elected to write the story in the present tense. This tense adds immediacy to the story and the reader gets the feeling she/he is involved in real time. The problem arises when you try and describe events that have taken place out of the present. This story contains some areas where there is tense disagreement. Additionally, there are some sentences that have subject/verb tense disagreement.
I noticed in a number of places you open your sentence with a participial phrase; this is okay but should be used sparingly. Try varying sentence structure, it livens up the forward movement of the story, and your readers will appreciate it.

On the whole, I enjoyed your story and look forward to reading more of your work.

Thank you for sharing.

Offline legomaestro

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: August 05, 2011, 05:54:24 PM »
Hahaha man, good job! Your knocking em dead, your work is good for sure. For some reason i feel pride...

Actually i'm relieved that my liking of this story isn't completely baised. Review 3 guessed theres more than meets the eye here.

On another note though it's probably ages away could you throw a date for arc 3? It's undersdtandable if its ages away because it's not a simple work to do but knowing would be great

Offline Coryn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: August 05, 2011, 06:05:24 PM »
well that's the trick isn't it? to be put bluntly i have three acts set up. and i wont get writing until at least act 1 is complete enough in my mind. the biggest issue is that i know how act one starts. i know a few events that happen in its center. and i know how act one ends and act two begins. which that part is slowly working its way out.

act two i have a concept for what is going to happen but no idea how to resolve it.

and act three i have the very end but no beginning or middle.

but at a guess. i'll probably have some content by the end of the year. i wan't to start now for sure. but if i do it will be like so many empty stories you see out there. just event to event with nothing in between

Offline legomaestro

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: August 11, 2011, 08:20:39 AM »
Check this out, guys

http://www.bleachexile.com/information/kubo-tite/

On it's own it's a pretty amazing story. Escecially how Akira Toriyama inspired even him. That makes the top three manga's mangaka (Kubo Tite, Kishimoto Masahashi, Eiichiro Oda) all inspired by the same creator!!! I have more respect for dragon ball than ever before!

Anyways just look at his methods on writing his story, i find it very interesting and clear to follow. What think you?

*adresses table

Offline Coryn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: August 11, 2011, 12:06:01 PM »
always saw him as a genius myself. hell if it weren't for bleach you can be damn sure CS wouldn't exist. Well at least not how it is today. probably as just some bad story that got rushed to conclusion by a novice.

but yeah. a lot of what he mentioned i managed to pick out on my own. especially with the white background thing. helps you concentrate on the character that much more.

Offline legomaestro

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: August 11, 2011, 12:21:35 PM »
Yup i love that effect. All in all though i feel bad about how things turned out for him at first. I thought his nervous breakdown is what caused him to stop for a while but it looks like it was a result of the rejection. I am really glad it ended well for him.

And his inspiration himself writing a letter of encouragement! Now that'd be something... if that happened to me... oh man...

Offline Coryn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: August 11, 2011, 12:25:56 PM »
it would definitely be something. i'd probably get it framed