October 15, 2018, 04:53:20 PM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: Writer Discussion Table  (Read 89840 times)

Offline Vacant

• MR's official no.1 present wrapper
    • View Profile
Re: Writer Discussion Table
« Reply #1830 on: May 28, 2018, 06:36:08 AM »
Been kinda obsessed with figuring out how to write a well paced fight scene lately. I reread a little of my past attempts and absolutely hated what I wrote. I know I can do better.

Anybody know any good books or light novels I can use as a reference? Should I watch more shonen anime and take inspiration from that? Is it even possible to translate a shonen fight onto paper and have it read well enough so that it makes sense to the reader?

When writing battles I look at them using the framework of a wrestling match. These are after all scripted battles, so a lot of elements translate. A fight is its own self contained story, with its own ebb and flow. That's what I always do first, I write the skeleton for the fight. The peaks of action, the breaks in it, the key plot points covered, the false finishes and then the big finale.
                  Having this skeleton helps me see how long the battle will be. If its going to feel like its dragging on too long, then I can trim the fat. Or if its a major battle that doesn't feel epic enough, I can always see wheres best to add more.
                  As Mahlua mentioned, be mindful of the length of paragraphs and sentences. Too many bloated paragraphs can slow the action down and make readers lose that adrenaline rush. Make every word count, make it punchy. Use the characters, express their pain, their emotional state, the fatigue, the intent behind their attacks.

One thing I always liked when reading action is the things I never really thought of. I can't recall the story, but it was two people fighting with swords. One was weary already, after helping defend a castle and the author noted how numb his arms were from the impact of each sword strike and how slippy the handle was from blood streaming down the blade.
                    Sounds stupid I know, but those little details were effective to me and really putting myself in their shoes. It added that detail of holy *censored* this dudes tired and he's gotta face the big boss. He's in trouble.

Hope some of that was usable :P

Offline Coach Fro

• Head Coach and Founder of The MR Fighters Division
  • Coach by day, Gravedigger by night...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1831 on: May 30, 2018, 08:56:00 PM »
Ah yes, good analogy, Vacant. Wrestling, if you can get past the fact that's it's fake, is a real beautiful form of storytelling when done right. Two good wrestlers can tell an entire story through their actions in the ring, especially if they both have good chemistry. A great wrestling match has a good flow to it, much like a great fight scene, which was something I didn't think about until you brought it up.

And man the smallest details really do count, both in wrestling and written fight scenes. I always love it when a guy injures a limb and sells that injury throughout the match. Gotta apply those smaller details more often in my writing. 
Messatsu...

Offline Coach Fro

• View Profile
« Reply #1832 on: July 12, 2018, 11:01:37 AM »
Some weird ish has been occurring with one of my google files recently.

Yesterday as i began to work on Drifter, I noticed that one of the paragraphs I wrote were missing some words and in their place were an assortment of random letters that i didn’t remember adding in. I figured it was some sort of accident on my end and paid it no mind. I then went ahead to finish the scene I was working on.

However this morning on my way to work, i decided to read i what wrote yesterday and discovered that literally whole sections have been randomly rearranged, which completely threw me the hell off. There were some missing words from paragraphs again, which leaves me scratching my head.

I’m not sure if it just a bug with the program or maybe some mishap on my end. Either way it’s definitely strange. I can easily fix the problem with some editing, but i don’t want to keep dealing with this. Anybody got any ideas as to why this may be happening?
Messatsu...

Offline Coryn

• Director of the MR Science Division
  • Global Moderator
  • Secretly a 13 year old girl.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1833 on: July 12, 2018, 11:39:35 AM »
Are you writing on your phone or on a computer? Maybe the app needs updating.

Will review stories upon request. My latest arc: http://goo.gl/KYgsfF

Offline Coach Fro

• View Profile
« Reply #1834 on: July 12, 2018, 01:31:00 PM »
The majority of the writing is done on computer. I use my phone to make small edits and additions when I’m on the go. I do remember yesterday that I left the google docs file open on my computer while I went to the bathroom, and then proceeded to make small changes with my phone while I was in there. That may have triggered some sort of confliction or something.

I’ll see if it’s an update issue later on and report my findings.
Messatsu...

Offline Coach Fro

• View Profile
« Reply #1835 on: July 12, 2018, 09:50:20 PM »
So the app on my phone is already updated, so that possibility has been ruled out.

The only logical explanation I can think of is that I think when I highlight my text on my computer I may have accidentally switched the text around by mistake and didn't notice. So yeah, I'm gonna chalk this up as another "Fro moment" and leave it be.
Messatsu...

Offline Coryn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1836 on: July 13, 2018, 10:43:51 AM »
Maybe. I'll let you know if I get anything weird, since I do the same kind of thing.

Offline Robin Ryuu

• Robin Shadow Ryuu
    • View Profile
« Reply #1837 on: July 13, 2018, 01:16:10 PM »
I avoid using the google docs phone app. It does plenty of weird stuff. Like I go to remove a word by hitting back space and it turns it into some mutant combination where it merges several words and copies a different word from somewhere else and adds it to the mix.

Offline Coach Fro

• View Profile
« Reply #1838 on: July 13, 2018, 06:09:12 PM »
It definitely gets wonky at times, but I've never had too many problems with it until now. Probably gonna find a new writing app to have as a backup soon.
Messatsu...

Offline Coryn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1839 on: August 19, 2018, 06:25:56 PM »
Alright, so there's this very likely apocryphal story about Alexander the Great (I believe it was Alexander, if you know better, please correct me. I only remember the tactic, not the name). As the tale goes, Alexander and his generals would get together to make battle plans. They'd do this in the normal, sober headed way. Then, that night, they'd get piss drunk. Then, Alexander and all of his generals would have a sit down, and go over the plan again. If they couldn't understand the plan while drunk, they'd scrap the plan, and make one that they could understand while drunk. Through this process, the idea was that they would take out the overly complicated parts of the plan, and be left with something that was simple and direct, that could not be foiled by outside forces, and that all of the men could understand easily.

No, I relate this story because of a certain adage I've been considering. The saying goes: "Write drunk, edit sober." Now, the logic here seems simple right? You inebriate yourself, use that inflated passion and energy to push through the writing, and then once you're sober and level-headed again, you can go through and fix the stupid mistakes you've made.

So what I'm considering, is that their could be merit to saying: "Write sober, edit drunk."

If it works for battle plans, why not for writing? We're always talking about keeping things simple and understandable. Overly flowery sentences and metaphors don't do anyone any good if they aren't accessible. If Joe Smo Reader can't get their head around your writing, they'll just stop reading. Time and again we see that getting your writing direct is the key to success among the masses. Humans like that which is accessible up front. They don't like having to bore into your meanings and words. You can write like that if all you want is to make english majors read your stories, but it's not going to do much if you want to appeal to the common man.

Discuss.

Offline eldritchmaestro

• High Chancellor of Horror
  • Global Moderator
  • real life has wack graphics
    • View Profile
« Reply #1840 on: August 21, 2018, 06:51:43 AM »
I'm actually interested in researching Pulp Fiction. I envy that phenomenon in history where it was actually popular to buy a book, where stories couldn't be churned out fast enough for the magazines to be satisfied. Indeed, several authors fell through the cracks and didn't make it and several stories were probably garbage, but it was this new form of sleek literature with predicteable plots more or less that spawned science fiction as a genre, that eventually got comics rolling, that inspired so many and even comforted some during the economic crisis.

During the economic crisis at the time, it was definitely not the world for dense philosophical texts, it was a time for fast reads and action and fun and imaginings of the future, and I just love how one author (need to google) said 'bourbon was my friend'. A lot became alcoholics at the time, but the tried and true method of getting those deadlines and writing something with a zing was to NOT be sophisticated and complicated with writing.

I think American writers are excellent at this sort of thing too. Stephen King has grand worlds and huge novels but I can go through his stuff so easily. He talks like someone would speak to you while having a pint at a bar.

Off the top of my head it's only Neil Gaiman and JK Rowling who managed to have a sort of 'cultured english' that didn't get too complicated and really feels like a fireside read story, but other than that other works really do just come off as dense somehow, and it's not always to do with complicated words it's just the way they're... written.

So yeah. Write sober edit drunk? I'm cool with that.

Spell-check at the very least though. Please.

Offline Coryn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1841 on: August 21, 2018, 07:36:42 AM »
Always do.

Offline suupertramp

• Anyone need a wall of text?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1842 on: August 24, 2018, 02:27:25 AM »
"write drunk edit drunk"
I see no problem with this compromise ;)

but legitimately cool reasoning though. I think it's a similar thing I heard that if you can't explain your story to a child, or explain the story in 100 words or less then it's too complicated. I might have mixed several ideas on that but you get the idea.

Offline Coryn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1843 on: August 24, 2018, 07:41:50 AM »
I always say that you should be able to explain the premise in a single sentence. The shorter, the better. No counting words, and no rustling up children and committing felonies.  :read:

Offline Coach Fro

• View Profile
« Reply #1844 on: August 24, 2018, 09:49:42 PM »
Well Coryn, mind if I ask a question of my own relating to the subject?

How the hell do you even write while intoxicated to begin with!?? :hmm:

As a man who neither smokes or drinks, and have no interest in either whatsoever, I will never the know the experience. Surely it's only useful in pushing through a writing hurdle, right? Could you even feasibly produce Shakespeare level content after a shot of gin or whatever you guys fancy nowadays, let alone edit it? (Side Note: My coworkers keep telling me my first drink should be the Four Locos, which sounds absolutely nuts for a starter alcoholic beverage)

Serious question though man. I would love to get insight on this.   
Messatsu...