July 23, 2018, 01:57:48 AM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: Writer Discussion Table  (Read 86844 times)

Offline Coryn

• Director of the MR Science Division
  • Global Moderator
  • Secretly a 13 year old girl.
    • View Profile
Re: Writer Discussion Table
« Reply #1815 on: April 08, 2018, 12:59:13 AM »
@Fro: no one in particular I guess. Although Del Ray might be up my alley, considering their history publishing sci fi, fantasy, and science fantasy. But as I said on another topic just today, I'm going to concentrate on becoming truly good before I move on to pushing to publish. I'll never forgive myself if I rush out a product I don't feel is ready.

Will review stories upon request. My latest arc: http://goo.gl/KYgsfF

Offline legomaestro

• High Chancellor of Righteousness
  • Global Moderator
  • real life has wack graphics
    • View Profile
« Reply #1816 on: April 11, 2018, 03:34:07 PM »
That awkward moment giving up sounds reasonable. Damn I'm getting too old. Or rather jaded.

I think it's too late for me though to be honest. No matter how down in the dumps I am about the quality of my stuff, or how lazy I'll get with reading literature will always be a part of my life.

Also don't underestimate the greatness of Canon. Seriously, you could just be a canon-only guy and you'd level up in all sorts of ways writing and art wise. It's simply a gold mine for inspiration.

I sound biased but it's true all across the board. No matter which community you land in if there's that RP element to it you've got to believe you're going to be firing at full pistons. It's just the way it is. It's an almost primeval need for humans to build up worlds and stuff. I imagine back in the day after a good mammoth hunt the only way to bridge the monotony of dying horribly, hunting eating and sleeping was crafting entire universes on cave walls, excitedly telling and retelling things until the stories became second nature to everyone in the commune.

Or something like that...

Offline Coryn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1817 on: April 11, 2018, 10:40:06 PM »
And sex. Don't forget sex.

It may be too late for you to be a youn manga writer TM, Lego. But it's never to late in life to be a writer. Remember Ulysses S. Grant, who wrote his first and only book for the first time in his life the month before he died of throat cancer. He ended up being extremely well received.

Offline 50 Words for Paipis

• View Profile
« Reply #1818 on: April 12, 2018, 12:36:22 AM »
Hard for poetry to succeed these days. Most people have a lot of preconceptions about poetry that cloud their readings. I think they forget to read what the actual words say concretely when their abstract meaning isn't immediately apparent.

I confess I haven't written a word of fiction prose in a while. One has to make economic decisions and between work, music, and dicking around on the internet, my schedule's full up.

Offline Fronomenal

• MR's Resident Drifter
  • Looking for a place to stay...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1819 on: May 21, 2018, 05:37:46 PM »
Been kinda obsessed with figuring out how to write a well paced fight scene lately. I reread a little of my past attempts and absolutely hated what I wrote. I know I can do better.

Anybody know any good books or light novels I can use as a reference? Should I watch more shonen anime and take inspiration from that? Is it even possible to translate a shonen fight onto paper and have it read well enough so that it makes sense to the reader?
"One plus one equals one on a bun."
                     -Ed

Offline MahluaandMilk

• Queen of Lurking Losers / Ms. Fanservice
  • Resident Witchipedia
    • View Profile
« Reply #1820 on: May 21, 2018, 06:19:17 PM »
It's all about sentence structure and length, my friend. I'm someone who can easily write a 30 word sentence without thinking, so I frequently have problems with pacing in a different way than most people. When you want things to happen quickly, you gotta cut all that down. Pacing is all about how much detail you put. Theoretically, the longer the sentence, the more focused the action becomes, the more it slows down kinda. The inverse is also true. Quick flashes of action are best expressed in short sentence bursts. Sometimes one word is all you need.

In my experience, "-ing" verbs are pretty weak. You'll want to cut those out to keep the fight feeling fresh. -ing verbs often function more as a type of adverb anyway and don't ask me about all the complicated hooha behind English; it gets weird fast. Another protip is to cut out "to be" verbs during the fight, and words like "slightly" or "almost".

I know none of that really answers the question per se, but I figured the advice could be helpful nonetheless.

Offline DevilPogoStick

• View Profile
« Reply #1821 on: May 21, 2018, 06:30:33 PM »
Been kinda obsessed with figuring out how to write a well paced fight scene lately. I reread a little of my past attempts and absolutely hated what I wrote. I know I can do better.

Anybody know any good books or light novels I can use as a reference? Should I watch more shonen anime and take inspiration from that? Is it even possible to translate a shonen fight onto paper and have it read well enough so that it makes sense to the reader?

Well, I can't exactly give a good example but I get what you mean.

But I think all fighting sequences in fiction does come from paper before being placed in practice, so as long as it reaches some sort of personal satisfaction, you might be okay and not worry how others see it.

But yeah, this is gonna be tricky. I once wrote a small piece in which my main character teams up with the long dead founder of his hometown, Blackbeard, Ian Fleming, and Yi Sun-sin in fighting off hordes of undead pirates to save his girlfriend’s soul.

...It was quite the experiment.

Offline Fronomenal

• MR's Resident Drifter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1822 on: May 21, 2018, 06:48:02 PM »
@Mahlua: Valid advice is still valid. I've been trying to go with a much shorter sentence structure for my fight scenes, but they still don't read well to me. I might be over thinking it, but then again fight scenes are tricky to work with regardless. Is it okay to use a longer sentence during a fight if you want to make sure that the reader felt every singe sensation that occurred during that particular moment?

@Pogostick: That is quite the experiment. But funny enough that brings up an even more important point: The differences between a fight scene and a action scene and the different approaches used when writing them. I imagine action scenes are harder in a sense, since most tend be on a larger scale, which would mean you have to capture a lot of different things happening at one time all the while making sure the reader doesn't get lost amidst the chaos.
                     -Ed

Offline MahluaandMilk

• Resident Witchipedia
    • View Profile
« Reply #1823 on: May 21, 2018, 06:52:55 PM »
Yeah. Longer sentences just have a natural tendency to slow down time. They're meant to hone focus, so it sounds like if you want the reader to really focus and experience a particular moment, a longer sentence is a way to go.

Offline DevilPogoStick

• View Profile
« Reply #1824 on: May 21, 2018, 07:15:11 PM »
@Fronomenal: Good point. I once read two stories that really suffered on the action sequences.

One made the grand mistake of starting the entire story off with the protagonist already deep into combat, with no slow down at all. Heavy on both dialogue and details, I had to take breaks. It was also extremely cringing as it wants to be taken seriously but it had that "calling your attacks cause it's cool" factor in it that made me hate it more. It was the first chapter too.

The other took its time to develop the character and setting but...It was extremely lazy on execution. A take on Power Rangers/Super Sentai, it...Was shockingly enough the written version of freaking stock footage. Yes, stock footage. The author didn't bother to change the transformation sequence because it's copy/pasted to the max. And the fight is entirely predictable and the antagonists are pushovers. It practically always ends with the hero doing the ultimate move. It wasn’t painfully long...But it's just not offering anything that warrant attention.

So yeah, pace is especially important. You want to ensure there is a gravity of the situation yet one that doesn't either bog you down or leave you completely unsatisfied.

Offline Coryn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1825 on: May 21, 2018, 10:40:35 PM »
The others have covered some good points, so I'll skip on to a different one: get juicy with your descriptions. Really get in there. Draw out the details when something interesting is happening and make your reader feel it in their soul. A character isn't just cut, their skin parted, and spilled out blood and fat. Someone isn't just punched, their teeth were torn from their sockets in a spray of bone which lacerated the inside of their cheek as knuckles ground against flesh!

*Ahem*

Details that can easily imagined stick in the mind. So extrapolate sometimes. Make it hurt to read.

Offline MahluaandMilk

• Resident Witchipedia
    • View Profile
« Reply #1826 on: May 21, 2018, 10:50:05 PM »
Ah, yeah, and exactly how you go about that is an indicator of style. It's clear form my fight scenes that I am not a big risk-taker in my writing. I go a little too "by the book" sometimes. Listen to that guy.

Offline legomaestro

• High Chancellor of Righteousness
  • Global Moderator
  • real life has wack graphics
    • View Profile
« Reply #1827 on: May 22, 2018, 05:40:28 AM »
Damn Coryn have a snickers bar, and go make a youtube video teaching us this magic.

@Frono 3 Tips off the top of my head:

1. There's nothing more epic than grand action having miniscule consequences on the environment. Case in point Pacific Rim Newtonian Cradle Scene:

https://youtu.be/aHF8Dbxm5ZE?t=18

Also, comparing action scenes and scripts from your favourite movies can be a god send sometimes. Unfortunately not all of my favourite movies tend to be scripted, but there is some quintessential action movies e.g The Matrix that can really help you visualize stuff.

https://youtu.be/7zmuvbwnXGE?t=87
https://scriptslug.com/assets/uploads/scripts/john-wick-2015.pdf

3. Build up tension. Again, comparing script to scene from Book of Eli. Er... You'll have to scroll to the corresponding dialogue. Anyhow the movie goers all know without even the action scene that some dude with sunglasses and a machete walking through a desert is most likely badass. We know how this'll end for these poor mooks, but the ish-talking is what seals the deal. The script will always be more epic (He has a samurai sword in this one) but it'll also be sparse in certain areas so you can

A. Go wild with your descriptions and take advantage of the freedom of writing and

B. Realize you don't need to describe absolutely everything. You don't need to tire yourself out thinking of the texture of the sword or describing which muscles move in Eli's hand when he attacks.

Laser focusing on small details can be cool (See Tip 1) but it's an action scene. It'll inevitably occur faster than you can describe so always try to keep that in mind when describing stuff. In John Wick it says 'Kills the other two before the other dropped' at a point to describe a triple-kill. Because the reader knows he's using a gun it's easy to flow along with the scene without being hung up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yke3ur99P2g&t=174s
http://www.imsdb.com/scripts/Book-of-Eli,-The.html

Just my two kopeyka

Offline Fronomenal

• MR's Resident Drifter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1828 on: May 24, 2018, 07:36:03 AM »
@Devilpogo: We’re these actual published works? Do you remember the names of these stories?

@Coryn: That’s something I definitely need to work on. I like my basic writing style, but I sometimes I feel as though I leave little room for playfulness. Descriptions will forever be a weakness of mine.

@Lego: Downloaded that John Wick script immediately. Never seen the movie, but I’m a sucker for action so I’m sure I’ll be checking it out soon enough. Tension is another good point I seem to miss sometimes. Can’t just be writing about slaying dragons and shooting lightning bolts out of our characters’ palms without context. Make the reader care first. Then slay the damn dragon.
                     -Ed

Offline DevilPogoStick

• View Profile
« Reply #1829 on: May 24, 2018, 08:25:23 AM »
Now to be blunt....No, they're just works in Fictionpress in which I knew the authors.

The slow paced one is called Chronicles of Zilos. I don't talk to the author anymore (as he was...An attention whore who will push his works over yours) so I will say he mighy have improved overtime...probably.

...So here's a link to something he wanted me and several others to read.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1cGs65DTR0xR3dsXU7yu6YkXBjnXFo4pZycRfLN5q4x8/edit?usp=drivesdk

The other is a story that thankfully is deleted and the author is trying to improve called apocalypse knight.