February 21, 2018, 03:59:42 AM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: Writer Discussion Table  (Read 74463 times)

Offline RaziKitsune

• Character Design Artist
  • PM for inquiries
    • View Profile
Re: Writer Discussion Table
« Reply #1800 on: September 10, 2017, 10:38:37 PM »
I am kinda jumping into the conversation here, but, I also used to write a certain amount a day for my fanfiction projects when I did write. My personal goal was always 5,000 minimal. To me that was a nice lengthy chapter but to some it could be considered too long. So basically, I wrote a chapter a day and in the end, my best work ended up surpassing 50k.

My worst enemy is writers block. Even though that's most writers problem so no surprise there. Plus, I always seem to have trouble completing a writing project. Even if I roughly plot out everything I am still struggling with filling in all the details in depth.

Offline Fronomenal

• MR's Resident Drifter
  • Looking for a place to stay...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1801 on: December 09, 2017, 06:47:26 PM »
I've taken an interest in the r/writing subreddit on reddit recently and I have to say they have some really some good writing prompts on there. I've been wanting to participate for awhile now, but I never to seem to get around to it.

But this leads me into somewhat of an related question. What is the best social media or forum community platform for writers to share their work and build a following with? The number of avenues for writers to garner exposure and support for their work has increased exponentially over the years and I've been wondering if there's a definitive place for writers to flock to.

Of course the obvious answer is any, but for the sake of discussion what do you guys think?

Offline Coryn

• Director of the MR Science Division
  • Global Moderator
  • Secretly a 13 year old girl.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1802 on: December 10, 2017, 10:37:56 AM »
I guess it's all a matter of personal taste. Fanfiction.net is sort of a perennial thing for such work, but I'm not so sure if it's necessarily the best. Honestly, the best way to garnwr a following for anything is probably Twitter, regardless of where the story is actually posted.

Will review stories upon request. My latest arc: http://goo.gl/KYgsfF

Offline Robin Ryuu

• Robin Shadow Ryuu
    • View Profile
« Reply #1803 on: December 15, 2017, 06:50:07 PM »
I'm still struggling with figuring out which of my stories would be suited for which medium. Novels, comics, visual novels, etc. :/

Anyone have an opinion on this?

Offline devola

• View Profile
« Reply #1804 on: December 15, 2017, 07:10:14 PM »
There are a lot of ways to gauge which medium is the best for your project. I think the first thing to think about is what are the strengths/weaknesses of each medium in relation to your stories. I think there are a lot of inherent challenges related to each medium so no one medium is easier than the other.

For example, since a novel is entirely text based, you have to pay extra attention to making sure your writing technique is spot on. This includes things as basic as grammar but also as esoteric as "natural dialogue" and other aspects that can be very hard to do if you've never done it before. As a suggestion, I'd say stories heavy on drama and human/emotional conflict tend to benefit from novels (though this is by no means the standard, there are plenty of drama heavy comics).

As for comics, this is a trickier one. I think the biggest challenge in a comic format is not actually the art itself, I feel like so long as you are confident in your own abilities, it won't impact your readers all that much if they buy into your story. Story is the trickiest part here honestly, in a comic book format you HAVE to take advantage of the fact that it is a /visual/ medium. That means, telling story through art and not just dialogue. A huge mistake I see a lot of amateur comic book artists make is "telling instead of showing" what's going on. The inherent challenge here is, you have WAY less words to work with and you have to get creative with your art to tell the story. A lot of artists fail to take advantage of the visual medium to do this, they forgo using elements like gutter space and the unique way in which time passes in a comic and basically just write a novel with some images, which leads into the next point:

Visual novels are a weird grey area between the two I think. The visual elements of a VN can enhance the reading elements and vice versa, you kind of have elements of both worlds. Personally though, I think VNs are best in that they make difficult areas of both more convenient, though that's just my opinion. What I mean by this is overall you have to do less art, and you can get away with less descriptive writing in a VN.

TL;DR
Novels are great if you're confident in your ability to write well and you have a story that benefits from lots of writing. Comics are great if you take advantage of the fact that it is a visual medium. VN's are a comfy spot between the two and in my opinion is the most convenient because you can take shortcuts (though the best VNs don't, and there are other challenges to VNs as well, such as programming, music, etc etc, the best VNs take advantage of all of these elements). So ask yourself, what advantages in each medium would each of your stories benefit the most from?

Offline Robin Ryuu

• Robin Shadow Ryuu
    • View Profile
« Reply #1805 on: December 15, 2017, 07:18:02 PM »
I was more meaning more like the types of story like I know action heavy stories might be better as a comic and dialogue heavy stories/dramas tend to do better as novels.

Offline devola

• View Profile
« Reply #1806 on: December 15, 2017, 07:27:12 PM »
I guess I might gone overboard with the wall of text haha. What I meant to say is, ask yourself what can YOU take advantage of best? I found it helpful just to think of the medium as a series of elements that I can either take advantage of, or be challenged by. If there were more elements that helped my own style of story telling (for any particular story) then I would consider that medium but if there were more elements that I could not take advantage of, I would move on.

That's basically how I decided on doing a VN for one of my own stories since I can write my own music, do my own art (though not good enough to carry the entire story which is why I avoided a comic) and I can write decently (but not good enough imo to write a novel). See what I'm getting at?