July 09, 2020, 12:29:04 AM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: Writer Discussion Table  (Read 132679 times)

Online Operative13

• Self-Proclaimed Writer and Anime Enthusiast
  • Writer of Caesarea
    • View Profile
Re: Writer Discussion Table
« Reply #1410 on: July 02, 2015, 09:46:02 PM »
Adequate by what standards? Adequate for me is something that I would enjoy reading if it was written by someone else. It's a tough line to define because reading your own work can lead to either undeserved pride or undeserved embarrassment regardless of the actual quality but if you can look at something you've created yourself objectively outside of that and say it's interesting to read while others say the same then that is adequate to me but many people may have completely different definitions.

I agree to an extent what MisterSherbetLemon describes as adequate (If it's a good read, I don't care what the reading is about), however I may point out that "adequate" has different perspectives depending on the situation. If the writing is for yourself, simply finding it to your liking is adequate in itself. If the writing is for a small tight-knit group of friends, as long as they like it, it is adequate. So on and so forth...

I read some interesting articles about concept of writing for readers...

http://writetodone.com/why-you-should-write-first-for-yourself/

https://medium.com/@PaulJun_/dont-write-for-others-write-for-yourself-cf9e338a0977

http://www.writersdigest.com/online-editor/should-you-write-for-yourself-or-for-the-reader

Many of these established authors generally sum up what I believe writing should be like. I encourage others to read up on these articles and draw conclusions for themselves. These are people who have known in-and-out what the industry is like and what it takes to be successful in it. (As amateurs, we might not be looking to be a part of that industry, but at least it'll help motivate you to write  ;) )
“To give of oneself is the noblest of all acts.”

Offline Lumaria

• Editor Group
  • Someone who will tell you what you need to hear
    • View Profile
« Reply #1411 on: July 02, 2015, 10:01:50 PM »
That was unnecessary publicly. Trust me, I have no interest in seeing the exact same story over and over with the exact same mistakes
Stop playing victim....you know what you did.

Offline Lumaria

• Editor Group
    • View Profile
« Reply #1412 on: July 02, 2015, 10:04:56 PM »
Adequate by what standards? Adequate for me is something that I would enjoy reading if it was written by someone else. It's a tough line to define because reading your own work can lead to either undeserved pride or undeserved embarrassment regardless of the actual quality but if you can look at something you've created yourself objectively outside of that and say it's interesting to read while others say the same then that is adequate to me but many people may have completely different definitions.

I agree to an extent what MisterSherbetLemon describes as adequate (If it's a good read, I don't care what the reading is about), however I may point out that "adequate" has different perspectives depending on the situation. If the writing is for yourself, simply finding it to your liking is adequate in itself. If the writing is for a small tight-knit group of friends, as long as they like it, it is adequate. So on and so forth...

I read some interesting articles about concept of writing for readers...

http://writetodone.com/why-you-should-write-first-for-yourself/

https://medium.com/@PaulJun_/dont-write-for-others-write-for-yourself-cf9e338a0977

http://www.writersdigest.com/online-editor/should-you-write-for-yourself-or-for-the-reader

Many of these established authors generally sum up what I believe writing should be like. I encourage others to read up on these articles and draw conclusions for themselves. These are people who have known in-and-out what the industry is like and what it takes to be successful in it. (As amateurs, we might not be looking to be a part of that industry, but at least it'll help motivate you to write  ;) )

That's a completely different idea than what is being said

Offline MissChurro

• ~Queen of Kawaii~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1413 on: July 02, 2015, 10:17:35 PM »
That was unnecessary publicly. Trust me, I have no interest in seeing the exact same story over and over with the exact same mistakes

You've already made a few posts directed at him in the past few days so I was just making it clear not to do it in the future, as to avoid any drama this time around.

Online Operative13

• Writer of Caesarea
    • View Profile
« Reply #1414 on: July 02, 2015, 10:33:27 PM »
That's a completely different idea than what is being said

What?

Am I saying things out of context? I don't believe I'm stepping out of line when I'm adding on to the idea of what defines" adequacy".  :(

On another note, I thought you made it publicly clear you did not wish to speak to me. While it would be unfair for you to solely have the speaking privileges between us, I would advise adhering to what you stated earlier, or we might have a situation. I'm not the only one who has a problem with your conduct, so please reconsider your actions beforehand.

Offline Lumaria

• Editor Group
    • View Profile
« Reply #1415 on: July 02, 2015, 11:32:56 PM »

You've already made a few posts directed at him in the past few days so I was just making it clear not to do it in the future, as to avoid any drama this time around.
I actually made it to the topic at hand. Multiple people referred to such topic. Not once have I specifically mentioned his story

What?

Am I saying things out of context? I don't believe I'm stepping out of line when I'm adding on to the idea of what defines" adequacy".  :(
I simply said what is a completely different idea. But I will respond in detail when I have time. Not to reply to you, but to inform everyone else.
On another note, I thought you made it publicly clear you did not wish to speak to me. While it would be unfair for you to solely have the speaking privileges between us, I would advise adhering to what you stated earlier, or we might have a situation. I'm not the only one who has a problem with your conduct, so please reconsider your actions beforehand.
please reconsider yours. Keep in mind, this is an isolated issue. You know full well you played a role aswell. Did you not intentionally seek arguments? Did you not take offense much more easily? Operative. I am merely responding for the sake for no one to confuse that the links you provided are not what defines adequacy.

Please don't bring up conduct unless be branded a hipocrit. You actively seeked me out from time to time regarding how I review. That was 100% on you just as it's 100% on me to even respond to you knowing full well your intentions.

« Last Edit: July 02, 2015, 11:40:50 PM by Lorenx1 »

Offline Lumaria

• Editor Group
    • View Profile
« Reply #1416 on: July 02, 2015, 11:47:25 PM »
Writing for you self before others is more about writing your ideas and thoughts and not allowing someone else to compromise that original thought.

However when one mentions to think about your readers, it's about conveying those thoughts adequately. If the flow is choppy, if lack of character development is there or didn't care that the reader will see it then you wrote a story not meant to share because it's not meant to be understood or have readers feel the same emotions you wanted to convey with yourself.

If you wanted to share and have readers understand and feel what you wanted them to, then aim to improve. It really is about understanding and following the basics.

Like DeAngelus has said in the past. I'm only expanding
« Last Edit: July 02, 2015, 11:53:13 PM by Lorenx1 »

Online Operative13

• Writer of Caesarea
    • View Profile
« Reply #1417 on: July 03, 2015, 12:16:23 AM »
@Lorenx1
The moment you reply, you know full well that it is directed toward the person replied to. This is certainly not an isolated issue if you're breaking your own declaration and bashing it further, and I would kindly ask that any further contact be avoided for both our own sakes and the community.

This hostility from you is not welcomed.  :noyoudon't:

Offline Lovus Eternius

• I'm just a writer.
  • Firstborne INC. Making life great again.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1418 on: July 03, 2015, 12:32:27 AM »
Writing for you self before others is more about writing your ideas and thoughts and not allowing someone else to compromise that original thought.

However when one mentions to think about your readers, it's about conveying those thoughts adequately. If the flow is choppy, if lack of character development is there or didn't care that the reader will see it then you wrote a story not meant to share because it's not meant to be understood or have readers feel the same emotions you wanted to convey with yourself.

If you wanted to share and have readers understand and feel what you wanted them to, then aim to improve. It really is about understanding and following the basics.

Like DeAngelus has said in the past. I'm only expanding

Holy crap. Lorenx1 is here. I'd better go get my green suit and trim my mustache before I make any points. Be back in a few posts.

Online Operative13

• Writer of Caesarea
    • View Profile
« Reply #1419 on: July 03, 2015, 12:34:46 AM »
^May Hasith Have Mercy Upon Your Souls...  :sadbye:

Offline legomaestro

• High Chancellor of Righteousness
  • Global Moderator
  • real life has wack graphics
    • View Profile
« Reply #1420 on: July 03, 2015, 12:35:56 AM »
Operative, you were told specifically to avoid talking to Lorenx in public, because this will provoke another spat no doubt. Same for you Lorenx.

Offline Lumaria

• Editor Group
    • View Profile
« Reply #1421 on: July 03, 2015, 12:42:45 AM »
This hostility from you is not welcomed.  :noyoudon't:
oh story it you know full well you play a bigger part of it. My initial comment was nothing wrong. If there is any hostility it is purely deserved. I simply made a responce, you turned it into a fight

Still.....@everyone else

Don't confuse writing for yourself to not trying to convey your thoughts properly

Online Operative13

• Writer of Caesarea
    • View Profile
« Reply #1422 on: July 03, 2015, 12:44:48 AM »
My deepest apologies... I was under the impression Lorenx1 was directing comments at me again.

... and still she continues to do so.

Offline Coryn

• Director of the MR Science Division
  • Global Moderator
  • Secretly a 13 year old girl.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1423 on: July 03, 2015, 12:47:29 AM »
See, it's side comments like those that cause problems.

If you two can't play nice, we will have to do something more drastic about the problem, and I don't think either of you really want to be on the receiving end.

So just, stop. Don't go trying to get the last word in. Just stop.

Will review stories upon request. My latest arc: http://goo.gl/KYgsfF

Offline Lumaria

• Editor Group
    • View Profile
« Reply #1424 on: July 03, 2015, 12:50:22 AM »
i said nothing wrong.....period.....anything else was provoked. And you all know that. But i will repeat myself for the sake of staying on topic:

Do not confuse that Writing for yourself means ignore advice, or claiming you know best to improve. the only thing one can truly say they know is the ideas and thoughts they want to convey with the story.

Everything else is determined with how many people can see it and accurately state such. When you aim to improve, its for yourself as well, because you learn to tell a story. Telling a story to others is important.

People forget about stories quite easily despite claiming they "liked" it. I, however, don't forget stories, even the heavily flawed ones. And thats something others consider a quality.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2015, 01:05:33 AM by Lorenx1 »