March 29, 2024, 01:42:49 AM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: Sai's 3D Junkpile  (Read 14851 times)

Offline SaiHawkeye

• Producer-san
    • View Profile
Sai's 3D Junkpile
« on: June 21, 2010, 06:52:24 AM »
I just wanted to share with everyone my progress in creating 3D models. Right now, I'm testing out the open source 3D program called Blender. I will admit that it's a little confusing for me after being spoiled by 3DS Max but Blender is a great tool once you learn all the shortcuts.

So far, I've begun working on a test model that won't be used in my game just to see what I'm capable of. I'm not quite finished with this and probably won't be getting much further with it but let's get this show started, shall we? =)

Render 1 with subsurf set to 1

Render 2 with subsurf set to 6

Render 3 with subsurf set to 6

As you can see in the third image, I've already started working on detailing the seperate areas of the clothes. Right now, I feel that there is a huge waste of polygons and will investigate this further on my next model.

Subsurf is simply a tool that allows you to smooth out a model at the cost of performance. When I begin working on the actual game model, I most likely won't be using the subsurf feature to save on resources when used by the game engine. By the end of today, I should be finished making a model of my friend Kevin using this reference image:

The funny thing is that the drawing actually looks like him. >.<
« Last Edit: June 21, 2010, 06:59:35 AM by SaiHawkeye »
I'm back~~~

Offline Iceh

• I punch cheap hookers like you for breakfast
    • View Profile
Re: Sai's 3D Junkpile
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2010, 07:45:56 AM »
Woah... you'll have this finished by the end of the day? Holyshiit.
And yeah, I've heard of Blender. Suppose to be really good... My dad is trying to get me to use it. >.>
I've seen a few short films done with it. They look really good.. real professional.
So, good luck with your Kevin making. (; I look foreward to the progress.

Offline SaiHawkeye

• Producer-san
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2010, 07:58:26 AM »
Thanks for your support. =)

I will actually be starting over from scratch making Kevin's model. I've already decided to junk this model in favor of using my polygons more wisely.

Blender is a great tool but it is still a tool. What you do with it is up to the user. Although it is a very compact and open source program, it has all the capabilities of 3DS Max. The advantage that 3DS has is that it can cut down production time with the variety of tools and plugins that they have available. Not to mention, their rendering technology is way more robust.
I'm back~~~

Offline sarru

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2010, 08:53:33 AM »
wow that’s pretty good, looks very smooth indeed
I have very little knowledge about 3d modelling, but its something I’m interested in.
modelling a character doesn’t seem easy at all, but you seem to be doing a good job. I would love to see the whole thing, rather than the legs only.
I’m also curious about the game you’re making, is there anything else you can tell us about it? Are you programming it? Designing it? Or both?
will be wailting to see Kevin :D, he does look amusing...Good luck! 

Offline SaiHawkeye

• Producer-san
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2010, 09:07:03 AM »
The game that I'm making is meant to be the ultimate troll to my friends. I somehow manage to troll them without trying in real life so why not spend countless months working on a project just for that purpose?

The game is going to be a cooperative zombie survival game like Left 4 Dead and Resident Evil Outbreak. In a secluded rice farming community, there have been sights of the undead. Will the villagers that are still alive be able to get to the city and find shelter?

I will be both the programmer and artist for my project. Right now, I'm working on a 3D engine I will junk later on in favor of using the Irrlicht 3D engine. I will later add a physics and sound engine to the game as well as a simple networking system. I will also be doing any concept art and 3D art. As for sounds and music, I am not yet quite sure what I will do.

Edit:

BTW, here's a picture of me:

lol
« Last Edit: June 21, 2010, 09:15:06 AM by SaiHawkeye »
I'm back~~~

Offline sarru

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2010, 09:24:55 AM »
So basically you’re doing everything on your own. Very nice,,, keep us posted about your progress
Also nice picture hahaha, very artistic *hides in the corner*
good luck!

Offline Monsterful

• Retired
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2010, 12:59:54 PM »
For sounds or music there are many sites that sell amazing Royalty free albums to use in games/movies/projects, for like 15$ you get tracks that match (sometimes even better) the quality of professional games.

Obviously the only downfall to this is the originality of the track, someone else may use it too.

There are also sites that give music for free, just have to credit the guy, like this one:

http://incompetech.com/m/c/royalty-free/faq.html

Hope it helps Sai.

Offline [aero]

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2010, 01:13:33 PM »
i was going to say TRRRRIIIAAAANNNGGGLLLEEESSS then i heard you were scrapping it XD

anyways good luck to you Sai, this is a pretty impressive goal your working towards

Offline SaiHawkeye

• Producer-san
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2010, 03:28:25 PM »
I got a response from a high school underclassman saying he's willing to work on the music for me. Thanks for the resources, Monsterful. I'll be sure to check out those options as well. =)

Aero, As long as I keep a combination of mostly quads and some triangles, the model will work just fine in the game. Most modern game engines handle the transoformation of quads into triangles anyway. The reason for having mostly quads is to make UV unwrapping a lot easier.
I'm back~~~

Offline Coryn

• Director of the MR Science Division
  • Global Moderator
  • Secretly a 13 year old girl.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2010, 03:31:21 PM »
nice that the game is coming along well. and sai i do believe you have become even uglier  :hmm:

Will review stories upon request. My latest arc: http://goo.gl/KYgsfF

Offline SaiHawkeye

• Producer-san
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2010, 03:38:14 PM »
nice that the game is coming along well. and sai i do believe you have become even uglier  :hmm:

I do believe you mean my MSN avatar? =P It's so beautiful that I might have to use it as my game logo.

Here's an example of blender automatically transforming quads into triangles upon render:

Live-mode before rendering

Rendered Frame

This was with subsurf turned off for both images.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2010, 03:40:20 PM by SaiHawkeye »
I'm back~~~

Offline Coryn

• Director of the MR Science Division
  • Global Moderator
  • Secretly a 13 year old girl.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2010, 03:39:55 PM »
cleans up well

Will review stories upon request. My latest arc: http://goo.gl/KYgsfF

Offline [aero]

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2010, 03:50:15 PM »
thats... interesting... wtf?

Offline SaiHawkeye

• Producer-san
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2010, 02:49:21 AM »
Just a minor update. I finally sources some reference images of Kevin and started over from scratch again. I must say, I'm happy with how it turned out here but I do see many flaws that need fixing. I haven't finished the entire model like I wanted to but it's a start.

If you're interested in seeing more, check out my blog update here: http://sai-sensei.com/?p=137
I'm back~~~

Offline [aero]

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2010, 03:24:08 AM »
cool stuff Sai

once you make a hand you will have gone farther then i have in 3d modeling