February 23, 2020, 02:21:21 PM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: Miscellaneous Arts and Sketchbook  (Read 73878 times)

Offline suuper-san

• Professional Overthinker
  • I have no idea what I am doing XD
    • View Profile
Re: Miscellaneous Arts and Sketchbook
« Reply #810 on: November 22, 2019, 06:09:57 AM »
well 500 pages of manga draft I think is a huge amount haha that could nearly be 2 whole volumes
but it's true mangaka are seriously skilled. doing it 24/7 probably helps XD

I have my go-to GIMP brush set to very similar settings to my tablets "ballpoint" brush. Basically size linked to pressure, and opacity linked to pressure. While I personally don't believe in sharing pen and brush settings, I think sometimes it helps to have something to aim at, so here's my default brush cruves:
Spoiler
I create new "dynamics" whenever I want new effects and stuff, although it's almost always for special stuff like glitter and not for normal brushes.

The brush is the normal solid round one that comes with GIMP, once you change the settings you can save those settings to use later.

I have the Size linked to Pressure, and the curve a little biased towards a smaller brush size. That means that it will stay a similar size on the low-medium pressures, but pressing really hard will give a thick line.

I have the Opacity linked to Pressure as well, but this time the curve is biased towards being opaque, so at normal-high pressures it's quite opaque, and to get a faint line I have to press quite lightly.

These settings feel quite similar to using a ballpoint pen, but depending on your brand of pen, your natural pressure when drawing etc, you might want to change the settings, link other things together or create more complex curves.
I only have about 10 custom brushes and all are for very specific things, often linked to the stages in my WIP processing. But 95% of the time I use the brush shown above.
When I hit my second round of heavy WIP processing, though I will increase the amount of brushes to reflect the common settings I use for all the different aspects of drawing such as shading and colouring.

The default GIMP dynamics such as generic pen or generic pencil are actually just as usable, I used them for years without much of a complaint.

I think sometimes you can get very caught up in getting the settings just right, when you can probably leave it close, and just get used to working with it as it is. Having too much control is sometimes a bad thing when you're not sure what you want, kinda like all those controls on expensive cameras.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2019, 06:13:49 AM by suuper-san »
Art: Manga / Fanart / Requests (closed) / Other | Manga Stories: Overdrive / Endlessness
Other: Tutorials / Craft | Feedback & Critique Welcome!!

Offline legomaestro

• High Chancellor of Righteousness
  • Global Moderator
  • real life has wack graphics
    • View Profile
« Reply #811 on: November 30, 2019, 09:12:36 AM »
Yeah it's the ultimate trap isn't it? It's just that Photoshop CS2 doesn't have a way to tweak that pressure curve. Frustrating, but I can deal with it. I'm not ready to try out GIMP, but if it gets too frustrating I might just go ahead. I really want to emulate dat ballpoint pen feeling. Feeling drawn to the medium again.
Spoiler

3985/10,000

4K is coming soon! (To be honest will pretty much be there today.) And if I'm reliable then January 10 will be 5K. Wooot. Heck yes.

Thinking about thumbnails again. I might go for another 1,000 thumbnails after this regimen

Offline suuper-san

• View Profile
« Reply #812 on: November 30, 2019, 11:05:08 AM »
awesome, still can't believe you're going for 10k, and that you're actually getting there :P
pretty epic stuff.

I have mixed opinions regards doing multiple regimes at the same time. It seems that I perform my best when I'm focusing on just the one thing, but it can get boring, so having several things to focus on makes it a bit more tolerable, and sometimes regimes can mix in that they apply a little to each other, say if you were doing faces and poses, you might start thinking of a pose ot match an expression, rather than just coming up with a pose based on nothing.

So whatever makes you the most productive, I think is best :P
The word regime is starting to lose meaning for me now as my general studies are basically a bit of everything now :P
My open-canvas workflow means I can probably tackle multiple themes and regimes at the same time a lot better now.
Art: Manga / Fanart / Requests (closed) / Other | Manga Stories: Overdrive / Endlessness

Offline legomaestro

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #813 on: January 10, 2020, 12:16:55 PM »
The open canvas flow. You should trademark that title.

Raising my head again to post my latest

4,687 / 10,000.

From my estimates it's going to take till July to reach 9,000. I'm super impatient, but I'm glad that I'm chugging along.

Spoiler

Offline Coryn

• Director of the MR Science Division
  • Global Moderator
  • Secretly a 13 year old girl.
    • View Profile
« Reply #814 on: January 10, 2020, 12:49:11 PM »
Keep it going Lego! Who knows, maybe you'll get a big burst of energy and do 3000 at once.

Where do you come up with all the little scenes? Are they are random or is there a secret narrative I'm missing?

Will review stories upon request. My latest arc: http://goo.gl/KYgsfF

Offline MoonFlame

• i used to be an adventurer, just like you
    • View Profile
« Reply #815 on: January 10, 2020, 10:21:28 PM »
You have quite the perseverance to follow this spartan methodology, keep up the good work.

i always wanted to try this style of workflow myself, but never had the resilience for this, you're quite brave to do that and it's also interesting to see the differences in your art style during the process.
looks like that's it, got to go...

Offline suuper-san

• View Profile
« Reply #816 on: January 12, 2020, 04:20:14 PM »
@moonflame just like artistic skills can be honed, different mentalities can be trained and you can become more focused, more productive, more organised etc. A little effort each day and a clear idea of what you're aiming at helps. I never used to be organised or productive but I got there gradually :)

@Lego
True I do come up with lots of names for things haha. It helps to visualize them and sort them in my mind if it has a definite title behind it, like "WIP processing" etc. All of my sketching styles have names as well, although a lot are temp names until I come up with something cooler :P

I'll be honest, I actually forgot you were doing this as well as your other sketches - but just wow! loads of progress!!!
And July is decent enough for a time to finish - it's too big a regime to just "put a bit more effort in" and get it done.
and agreed, you've totally got the spartan mindset!!!!

Lovely teapot and other props, and the tiny figure of the back of a man (samurai?) on the same page. small (on the page) characters are notoriously difficult despite their deceptive simplicity.

And also two other things I've probably not mentioned before:
-I really like how each page has a similar theme or style to the sketches, but then the next page will be different, it's really like you're having different moods or trying out different styles and it's nice to see all the differences and the pros and cons to each style. Once you're finished you can look back and pick out different styles to maybe develop into a more consistent style perhaps!
-Also I like how despite having the consistency on a page, you're not afraid to change things up. like you'll have a random skull on a page or suddenly a bit of dialog or sequential sketches, or an epic action pose amid the standing poses. that's something that's difficult for me - once I start a page, everything has to be a similar style and content. I'm starting to break the flow a bit, but it's still hard to jump to a new thought mid-page.

epic stuff and keep it up!!!
« Last Edit: January 12, 2020, 04:23:47 PM by suuper-san »

Offline legomaestro

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #817 on: January 23, 2020, 06:05:54 AM »

2/100

Started a tracing regimen with stuff from pinterest. If anything I've noticed that I have no clue what brush to use digitally. And my line discipline sucks (no surprise there, but it's more like I'm super inefficient rather than just sketchy haha)

With my traditional work fineliners and ballpoints are always going to be my goto, and that decreases so much stress, but digitally I'm a kid in a candy store and I'm not even sure if I want strawberry gum or not

I think if my naming sense were better, I'd be that much more effecient.

Thanks. The props and the like were actually idols at a Chinese Restaurant I was at. It was a fun session. That being said small figurines are indeed notoriously difficult.

And thanks suuper! I'm super undisciplined and my mood can shift as it pleases so the pages change over time. I think even my cube regimens had similar events. I'm not happy with a lot of sticks, but there are about 2 major phases I've identified that I'd be interested in capitalizing on. I'm looking forward to looking back at all of this, and hearing what you think about them all haha.

Offline suuper-san

• View Profile
« Reply #818 on: January 23, 2020, 06:35:45 AM »
it's more like I'm super inefficient rather than just sketchy
an interesting comparison. I think these sort of words have different meanings for different artists to be honest. When we categorize things, we have different threshholds for stuff.

GIMP has a bunch of default brushes which I used for ages, but now I use one that gets darker and larger when I press harder. It's somewhat similar to a ballpoint because that's also my goto :P

I too have shifting moods but also I have an overriding "don't break the consistency/conformity" to my mindset that prevents me from breaking out the box so much. gotta work with our personalities to get the best results :/

Those traces don't look too bad. As you say line consistency is yet another thing to learn. I have some consistency, but not all the time. Zooming in will result in higher accuracy.
Also a higher resolution maybe, try enlarging the image first and then shrink the trace back afterwards.

ugh now I'm going to do tracing now :/
« Last Edit: January 23, 2020, 08:56:18 AM by suuper-san »

Offline legomaestro

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #819 on: February 03, 2020, 11:31:14 AM »

Offline Coryn

• Director of the MR Science Division
  • Global Moderator
  • Secretly a 13 year old girl.
    • View Profile
« Reply #820 on: February 09, 2020, 03:01:51 PM »
Dude, what kind of Chinese restaurants do you go to that have those kinds of figures on display?! They look good though! The clothing in that last image is really well done! Even if it's from a reference there's still something to be said about being able to pick out the details and learning how to emulate the styles correctly.

Will review stories upon request. My latest arc: http://goo.gl/KYgsfF

Offline suuper-san

• View Profile
« Reply #821 on: February 10, 2020, 02:13:08 AM »
Bring able to copy well is one of the steps to drawing well, if you can draw what you see then there's a minimal chance you can draw what you can't see, from your imagination.

Tracing is good for learning to draw the lines in their complexity, because it's harder to simplify when you're actually drawing over it.

Nice start to the regime. In fact I think this would work well if you're tired or something so it's a good backup plan I think.

Where are you getting your reference btw?

Offline legomaestro

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #822 on: February 18, 2020, 10:51:24 AM »
Yeah and I just saw a toki-doki tutorial on using reference that I'll be using a lot. It might even be the perfect solution to my infinite collection of magazines: I'll be drawing out the building blocks of the images just to have that tactile sensation of breaking down forms. I think I'll need a marker for it to be visible though.

I get all my references from Pinterest. It's pretty easy saving 20 images in bulk and then throwing them onto an A4 canvas in photoshop to draw over.

@Coryn hahaha it was quite the fancy one. I wish I'd asked what they all meant. They looked cool as heck. And thanks. It's a tight-rope both because of my pride and the potential for down right thievery but I really want to embrace tracing and referencing in all its glory to boost my own artwork. I've avoided it way too long.

I got pretty lethargic with my stick-figure regimen because I hadn't collected my work so far together and counted all of my figures on the proper. I think I even miscounted reaching 5,000 twice. This'll change. I have a heck of a lot of scrap paper that I want to go through, but on the other hand doing everything digitally allows me to at bulk finish off 30 stick figures during one sitting (or 50 depending on how I feel) rather than the small chips I manage to do traditionally. I'll see how I feel for the next couple 700 figures.

5300/10,000

Spoiler

Offline suuper-san

• View Profile
« Reply #823 on: February 22, 2020, 09:24:33 AM »
Man I keep forgetting Pinterest as a source of images. Are the images high quality though? I've had trouble with downloading things from Pinterest previously.

Miscounting will happen when you get into the thousands - it's happened to me quite a bit with my numbers not matching up at the end. Partly drawing in a 5x5 grid alleviates this as you always know how many are on each page. But it does break the flow a little.

Good job on the huge stick figure project. If nothing else you're learning to deal with stamina and large projects. And I'm sure you're picking up lots of ideas and tips along the way.

These days I carry my sketchbook around with me all the time for when I get a moment to carry on a sketch or doodle a quick pose. It's not much but it does add up o we time, along with everything else.

Good work :)