December 09, 2019, 03:47:23 AM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: Miscellaneous Arts and Sketchbook  (Read 69266 times)

Offline suuper-san

• I have no idea what I am doing XD
    • View Profile
Re: Miscellaneous Arts and Sketchbook
« Reply #810 on: November 22, 2019, 06:09:57 AM »
well 500 pages of manga draft I think is a huge amount haha that could nearly be 2 whole volumes
but it's true mangaka are seriously skilled. doing it 24/7 probably helps XD

I have my go-to GIMP brush set to very similar settings to my tablets "ballpoint" brush. Basically size linked to pressure, and opacity linked to pressure. While I personally don't believe in sharing pen and brush settings, I think sometimes it helps to have something to aim at, so here's my default brush cruves:
Spoiler
I create new "dynamics" whenever I want new effects and stuff, although it's almost always for special stuff like glitter and not for normal brushes.

The brush is the normal solid round one that comes with GIMP, once you change the settings you can save those settings to use later.

I have the Size linked to Pressure, and the curve a little biased towards a smaller brush size. That means that it will stay a similar size on the low-medium pressures, but pressing really hard will give a thick line.

I have the Opacity linked to Pressure as well, but this time the curve is biased towards being opaque, so at normal-high pressures it's quite opaque, and to get a faint line I have to press quite lightly.

These settings feel quite similar to using a ballpoint pen, but depending on your brand of pen, your natural pressure when drawing etc, you might want to change the settings, link other things together or create more complex curves.
I only have about 10 custom brushes and all are for very specific things, often linked to the stages in my WIP processing. But 95% of the time I use the brush shown above.
When I hit my second round of heavy WIP processing, though I will increase the amount of brushes to reflect the common settings I use for all the different aspects of drawing such as shading and colouring.

The default GIMP dynamics such as generic pen or generic pencil are actually just as usable, I used them for years without much of a complaint.

I think sometimes you can get very caught up in getting the settings just right, when you can probably leave it close, and just get used to working with it as it is. Having too much control is sometimes a bad thing when you're not sure what you want, kinda like all those controls on expensive cameras.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2019, 06:13:49 AM by suuper-san »
Art: Manga / Fanart / Requests (closed) / Other | Manga Stories: Overdrive / Endlessness
Other: Tutorials / Craft | Feedback & Critique Welcome!!

Offline legomaestro

• High Chancellor of Righteousness
  • Global Moderator
  • real life has wack graphics
    • View Profile
« Reply #811 on: November 30, 2019, 09:12:36 AM »
Yeah it's the ultimate trap isn't it? It's just that Photoshop CS2 doesn't have a way to tweak that pressure curve. Frustrating, but I can deal with it. I'm not ready to try out GIMP, but if it gets too frustrating I might just go ahead. I really want to emulate dat ballpoint pen feeling. Feeling drawn to the medium again.
Spoiler

3985/10,000

4K is coming soon! (To be honest will pretty much be there today.) And if I'm reliable then January 10 will be 5K. Wooot. Heck yes.

Thinking about thumbnails again. I might go for another 1,000 thumbnails after this regimen

Offline suuper-san

• I have no idea what I am doing XD
    • View Profile
« Reply #812 on: November 30, 2019, 11:05:08 AM »
awesome, still can't believe you're going for 10k, and that you're actually getting there :P
pretty epic stuff.

I have mixed opinions regards doing multiple regimes at the same time. It seems that I perform my best when I'm focusing on just the one thing, but it can get boring, so having several things to focus on makes it a bit more tolerable, and sometimes regimes can mix in that they apply a little to each other, say if you were doing faces and poses, you might start thinking of a pose ot match an expression, rather than just coming up with a pose based on nothing.

So whatever makes you the most productive, I think is best :P
The word regime is starting to lose meaning for me now as my general studies are basically a bit of everything now :P
My open-canvas workflow means I can probably tackle multiple themes and regimes at the same time a lot better now.
Art: Manga / Fanart / Requests (closed) / Other | Manga Stories: Overdrive / Endlessness
Other: Tutorials / Craft | Feedback & Critique Welcome!!