November 19, 2019, 08:14:45 AM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: Miscellaneous Arts and Sketchbook  (Read 67998 times)

Offline legomaestro

• High Chancellor of Righteousness
  • Global Moderator
  • real life has wack graphics
    • View Profile
Re: Miscellaneous Arts and Sketchbook
« Reply #795 on: November 04, 2019, 05:48:53 AM »
Me too! The best part is I'm actually getting more comfortable with drawing them. It's scary how incremental the progress is (I like to feel like I'm improving all the time) but also comforting because I'm definitely feeling differently about drawing than when I started with the first figures...

Offline suuper-san

• I have no idea what I am doing XD
    • View Profile
« Reply #796 on: November 04, 2019, 04:21:25 PM »
I think that when you feel the progress, you actually progress more because you have a positive attitude as well :P
Art: Manga / Fanart / Requests (closed) / Other | Manga Stories: Overdrive / Endlessness
Other: Tutorials / Craft | Feedback & Critique Welcome!!

Offline Coryn

• Director of the MR Science Division
  • Global Moderator
  • Secretly a 13 year old girl.
    • View Profile
« Reply #797 on: November 04, 2019, 10:25:16 PM »
Well the big thing with faking it until making it is that you need to remind yourself and tell yourself that you are what you are portraying yourself as. Every morning when you're brushing your teeth in the mirror, you gotta look yourself in the eyes and say "I am a competent story teller. I am a good artist. I am a good writer." You're convincing yourself as much as you are other people. Positive affermations, done in the style of already being achieved, go a long way.

Will review stories upon request. My latest arc: http://goo.gl/KYgsfF

Offline suuper-san

• View Profile
« Reply #798 on: November 05, 2019, 12:53:50 AM »
You pretty much hit on my mantra there Coryn , except as an artist not a writer haha.
Art: Manga / Fanart / Requests (closed) / Other | Manga Stories: Overdrive / Endlessness

Offline legomaestro

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #799 on: November 06, 2019, 10:58:35 AM »
Word. Word

@Coryn I've literally never tried the mirror thing because it feels silly. I shall try it once in a blue moon. Positive affirmations for the win!

Spoiler

Ok this is embarrassing, but it turns out folding the paper made stuff harder for me. Having a single page makes it much easier to have an overview of the page, and I can stuff at least 20-25 figures per page. That means I can have nice singular sessions and come out of even a slow day with 20 figures. So every 5 days I could be hitting 100 figures without even pushing myself too much.

At this rate so long as I keep things steady It'll take 66 weeks to be done with the regimen in 300 days. I'm actually OK with this idea alot, and funny enough I've realized over time I still have some days where I can work on stuff creatively, so even if I feel a bit bored of it all I still have energy and time to do other stuff on the time.

And gawd will I be ecstatic when I hit 10,000.

For now, I want to watch out for anything I can fix so comment away at any glaring errors. It would be nice to nip proportion sama and lean-sama in the bud now before I internalize those mistakes haha

Offline suuper-san

• View Profile
« Reply #800 on: November 06, 2019, 02:34:21 PM »
Nothing to be embarrassed about trying out a method!!!!
Unless we try out new ideas, we won't know which ones will work and which ones wont, so really we want to make lots of trials, and make lots of mistakes, otherwise we cant move forward :)
It's great that you realised quickly that it wasn't working out and changed track, you should be proud :)
Talking of ideas, have you tried using A3/larger paper? Since working on a smaller area of paper didn't work, perhaps larger is the way to go XD I often find that there is a lag in my art between pages, and I lose continuity, which is another reason why bulk works so well for me as I'm working on a larger canvas for longer. Just a thought.

A year is reasonable if you're doing other stuff too. I think just doing one thing for an entire year would be rather dull.

nice armoured chibi figure. I can almost see a miniseries in my head featuring them XD

Offline Coryn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #801 on: November 06, 2019, 07:52:57 PM »
Honestly though, a lot of stuff people would imagine would be embarrassing, others would just brush off when given a 30 second explanation.

"Why do you say nice things about yourself in the mirror?"

"It motivates me."

"Cool."

Simple as that.

Offline legomaestro

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #802 on: November 17, 2019, 04:05:54 AM »
Haha word, word.

Suuper, the bulk thing seems to be the solution. I've made a nice batch digitally on A4 people and because of the zoom function I could pack a lot of figures in one session. I think this might be the way to work traditionally as well! I'll try it out for sure.

And beware. Slightly rotund image
Spoiler

Offline suuper-san

• View Profile
« Reply #803 on: November 17, 2019, 01:03:44 PM »
man, that's excellent. Glad the method works for you as well. now the question is, why does it work?
How would you go about doing it traditionally? working on A3?
the thin style is also nice. cool crazy big eyes too. and the cute bottom chibis also cute :P

Offline Coryn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #804 on: November 17, 2019, 03:38:15 PM »
Looking good Lego! Although when you really fill in the eyes on some of these guys, it really makes me think that they're out to abduct people into their space ship! (3419 especially)

3441 and 3442 also look like they're up to something that would get them censored if they weren't featureless  :ohmy:

Offline legomaestro

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #805 on: November 18, 2019, 05:33:20 AM »
Oh gawd nooo. I wanted it to be tender cuddling and nothing more than that. The shadows fell down wrong haha.

And 3419 is someone I wouldn't want to spend any amount of time around them.

@suuper I think you may have touched upon why this method actually works: It's that feeling of sitting down and having to finish things. When I have smaller canvases to work with I'm more likely to try to multitask and not focus on a single thing. But with larger canvases I can let something run in the background and I'm more likely to draw more in a single sitting.

I'm stealing this style from an IG artist I've seen and I really like the way the eyes' look. Between him and Coryn's tips I'm thinking I'm all set for eyes hahaha. (Well not really but for now.)

Offline suuper-san

• View Profile
« Reply #806 on: November 18, 2019, 03:15:15 PM »
Yeah that one-theme-per-canvas feeling is a friend or an enemy if you're not careful. Indeed it does seem to help when you're trying to fill space or generate ideas to work to a smaller scale. I've been toying with the idea of working on an infinite canvas of sorts, I know there are some apps like that about and I could "probably" make one myself.

and awesome that you're homing in on a style. I kinda feel the same for my own art finally, but it's one of many styles that I'd like to do.