March 29, 2024, 12:55:00 AM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: Miscellaneous Arts and Sketchbook  (Read 226805 times)

Offline legomaestro

• High Chancellor of Righteousness
  • Global Moderator
  • real life has wack graphics
    • View Profile
Re: Miscellaneous Arts and Sketchbook
« Reply #765 on: September 03, 2019, 09:15:34 AM »
I love them. I copied the sword swooshing from Knight Run, an amazing manhwa and hands down one of my favourite when it comes to action webtoons. So damn cool.

@Coryn haha I felt the same seeing Nair do his thing and No1sey and Vacants' story world building processes

Yeah 1489 had enough of whatever that was.

Also
Spoiler
Indeed. Indeed.

@suuper I've actually made a lot more progress than I ever could've hoped for. I'm happy about it. And stumbling onto this marikin online tag on instagram has been such a godsend. It's really helped me upgrade what I consider basic stick figures.

And definitely for the storyboard thing. My plan is to have these figures become my basic building blocks always when planning a comic page. I don't think I want it to be my style per se but it'll buff up my page planning process I hope.

Offline KeanFox

• View Profile
« Reply #766 on: September 03, 2019, 12:58:39 PM »
2000 yay. I was going to say you can use that basic stick figures to plan your story but you said it first.

Offline Coryn

• Director of the MR Science Division
  • Global Moderator
  • Secretly a 13 year old girl.
    • View Profile
« Reply #767 on: September 03, 2019, 08:31:34 PM »
Lego you need to start adding more sound effects to these things. Also: I'm looking forward to you making some actual manga pages after all of these. You've definitely improved in just these 2000 figures!

Will review stories upon request. My latest arc: http://goo.gl/KYgsfF

Offline Echo_River

• Mild Observer
  • Need Chips
    • View Profile
« Reply #768 on: September 04, 2019, 11:03:42 PM »
The dynamic and action poses are so inspiring. Great work on the figures!
No one is perfect . . . that's why there's erasers and extra paper.
DA: http://neysun.deviantart.com
IG: https://www.instagram.com/neysun_hao/
SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/noteriddler

Offline Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
  • Anyone need a wall of text?
    • View Profile
« Reply #769 on: September 05, 2019, 08:57:31 AM »
And definitely for the storyboard thing. My plan is to have these figures become my basic building blocks always when planning a comic page. I don't think I want it to be my style per se but it'll buff up my page planning process I hope.
That's a great idea. Having a style that you only use for planning or something is just as useful as having an art style for final pieces. Rather than a style, I suppose it's more of a guideline method, but same thing.

I'm currently figuring out how to thumbnail roughly but still include lots of details. like how to record my ideas in the most efficient and quick way? I sometimes just plain write in words what something is, or the action, rather than trying to actually draw it to any level in the planning stage, which is probably the best compromise. I do have a plan to just write new character descriptions at some point so that might be an overlap. Once again, so many ideas :P

Annnnnnnnd.....congrats on 2000! what a ridiculously high number! and it will only grow from here. so inspiring and encouraging. keep it up :P
Art: Illustrations / Fanart / Requests (closed) / Other Art | Manga Stories & Projects
Other Stuff: Tutorials / Craft / Cosplay | Feedback & Critique Welcome!

Offline bossx5

• View Profile
« Reply #770 on: September 12, 2019, 12:00:01 AM »
I know practice makes perfect but is this making it faster and easier to do poses because lately i been thinking of doing this with diffrent ocs because people move diffrent and want to know can you geel any diffrence in speed and ease. And i wanted to ask you do you use guide lines or the scribble method because i use both and for me the scribble method is fun but when i use guidelines (bubble or block) its more fundamental but stiff.

Offline legomaestro

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #771 on: September 12, 2019, 05:47:43 AM »
I haven't gotten to drawing any OC stuff yet so I'll have to see. It's helping me think before I draw, and when making thumbnails I have a better sense for 'filling out' the camera frame, something that is hard to think of when the stick figures are only lines.

This is very experimental for me so I would recommend going with the safer 'construct - draw over' method. I don't use guidelines and am churning them out as I go.

But yes, I feel like it'll help me make figures faster

@suuper  The thing is sometimes a foggier thumbnail helps your brain feel more free when planning out stuff. I've found out a nifty character making method that basically uses scribbles to suggest forms and my brain fills out the rest. I'll show more of those when I get around to them.

Thanks! I'm dissapointed that I slowed down after that. 10,000 is a while's away, but I've got some new ones to post (which is why I've shown up again. I should really participate in the forum more other than just dumping my regimens. Got to keep up with what the other Raiders are doing. )

@Echo thankee!

@Coryn you and me both, friend. My onomaetopia (sp?) needs release. Bam! Paff! Buff! Tuff (that one is from SrGrafo. Cool artist. Check him out)

@KeanFox Thanks man! And I'm hoping for that eventuality.

Moar. Like I said I slowed down, but I'm proud to say I finally got my tripod and recorded three videos. 1 of me swinging two metal bars, one with my model katana and one with a wooden stick. I used VLC player to make about 300 reference images and have sent them to my phone, so now I'm getting into self references.

Problem though: It feels super stiff to use references. I slow down a heck of a lot and while some poses turn out better than expected and I've seen some pretty interesting hand grips to draw in the future, I'm not quite feeling it. Still, I'm glad I tried it out.

One thing I'm learning: Clothing is super deceptive about anatomy haha. Also I need to get better fitting jeans. Also I'm thin and lanky as heck. What the hell. I need protein. <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Another thing: Ballpoint is amazing. I'm still going to try out pencil as recommended, but god the difference between finelines and ballpoint is night and day. It's so much more tacticle and comfortable to feel out the figures. I really had fun with that. I legit love ballpoint now and I'm not just forcing myself.

Buuut I'm going to do fineliners for the challenge and speed. I'll be switching it up.

I doubt I'll be doing much thumbnailing in this regimen. I've come to learn that comic pages have a different focus than having the entire figure show up in frame. Close up shots, singular images of hands gripping things, feet about to step off the ground, grins and expressions are what make a manga. And even when the figure is fully in frame it's because the focus is on the background. Because of this my stick figures will either have to be really tiny or cut off from frame. So I'll just do full body stick figures for the whoel way. If I want to thumbnail I'll go to another regimen.

Offline Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #772 on: September 12, 2019, 07:53:46 AM »
those spindley legs on the second last page are good
well 100 figures are 1% of the regime so you're still chipping away.
nice swooshy weapon effects and poses, although quite a few of the figures dont quite feel like they match the path the weapon is taking, but I can't quite figure it out. I haven't drawn weapon poses since, ever.
ballpoint is great, yes it is :P
and videoing yourself to get pose reference? awesome. self-references are the best, you can get exactly what you want, and you're being more original.
Art: Illustrations / Fanart / Requests (closed) / Other Art | Manga Stories & Projects

Offline legomaestro

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #773 on: September 17, 2019, 03:59:51 AM »

I have discovered the wonders of pipe cleaners. I have learnt how to craft a stick figure out of it and it is phenomenally useful for visualization. It's such a silly thing, but having it in my left hand as I draw is doing wonders for reducing my mental load when thinking up images. It's even more useful than the wooden puppet I bought (because silly enough, he doesn't twist as much as he should.) and there's something fun about making something for myself. I'm going to make some more just for fun (bought some wire too) and I don't want to be too ambitious, but I hope to stick some cloth to them too for some nice wooshy clothing effects or something.

God I love YouTube. You can find everything there darnit. Yesss.

I've gotten a bit further but I was hoping I'd be at 3,000. This is good though. I'm at a point of the regimen where I'm not obsessing over completing it so I can calm down and just let it be the regular drawing thing that it should be, and that's perfect. I'll plug away at the figures and focus on other stuff.

Offline Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #774 on: September 17, 2019, 04:43:06 PM »
great stuff and you're really keeping the output high!
lol at the pipecleaner reference figure tho
but that's just it - it seriously doesn't matter - if it works for you then it's a good method, no argument.

you've almost consistently added faces to all of these figures, which might be a possible reason why you haven't drawn as many as you expected. drawing faces takes up more time than not drawing faces, after all XD
But I think they look wayyyy cooler with faces. I can totally see them in a manga.
#2334 - is that you? verrrry nice style and proportions, I will steal that style for sure.
you're nearly at the 25% mark, a respectable checkpoint indeed.

Offline legomaestro

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #775 on: September 25, 2019, 12:18:15 PM »
I see what you mean, and that's totally it.

I've had an intense mind-numbing session but I see it's my impatience that made it worse than it was. I've learnt that folding my A4 paper and working on each side is pretty good for making my average paper worth 12 figures though. It makes it nice to think 10 pages = 100 figures and 100 pages =1,000. Thinking of 10,000 still leaves me in despair sometimes, but I'm dealing well enough.

I'll be doing a lot of standard poses for the next few because idea exhaustion. But I do hope to come out of this being able to do sword swooshy effects for sword fights.

Thinking of starting a manga is sooo tempting. Excited about when I finally get done with this. I will celebrate.

Also, I'm having way too much fun drawing eyes. If you have any ideas or tutorials for eyes throw them at me!

Offline Coryn

• Director of the MR Science Division
  • Global Moderator
  • Secretly a 13 year old girl.
    • View Profile
« Reply #776 on: September 25, 2019, 10:41:28 PM »
Noticed that for sure. Unfortunately I have already deposited my secret for drawing eyes in your notebook, so I am of no further use in that realm.

Will review stories upon request. My latest arc: http://goo.gl/KYgsfF

Offline Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #777 on: September 26, 2019, 08:29:26 AM »
To be honest for eyes, I just pick an artists style I like and draw it. The only guidelines I use are a line for the "horizon" - (pupil to pupil usually), and a box to contain each eye, then just fit it all in haha. Manga eyes are a lot simpler than real eyes and also can be stylized almost any way, which makes them a bit easier to draw.

For me I also generally find that the same number of sketches fill up a page, it's kinda of the rhythm you get into. Makes it a bit easier to figure out how many pages you'll use up and so on. Also it usually takes the same amount of time to do a set of drawings.

For pose ideas, try and think of groups of actions or poses and then draw as many poses as you can in that group, from different angles as well, i.e. sports poses - you can break down by sport. Action/weapon/combat poses, still poses, everyday poses, "posing for the camera" poses, multiple people poses, for example. And also specific camera angle sets i.e. forshortening, low angle, high angle etc. And also pose category from the body point of view - symetrical, dynamic, flexible/stretching,sitting,standing, prop interaction - breakdown by prop. That's how I got inspiration for my 1000 figures and I didn't feel like I was racking my brain too hard to come up with them. You can break down the pose categories into subcategories and so on, to get an almost inexhaustible list of ideas (this is the basis for my inspiration handbook that I am making)

10000 is still a mad goal but if you break down the number into 100 sets of 100 genres, it sounds a lot more doable, no?
This seriously makes me want to try out 10000 of something haha

Offline legomaestro

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #778 on: October 14, 2019, 04:04:35 AM »
That does sound feasable indeed. Too bad I lost all energy to even do that. I'll try it as I head for the 3,000 point.

You have a golden idea there for sure suuper. Seriously, I need to see how you break down things a bit. I need that order rn haha.

Offline Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #779 on: October 15, 2019, 02:26:20 PM »
man there's no mercy on the scroll wheel with your thread lego you always deliver, and in bulk :P

nice to see male and female stick figures and how their proportions differ too.

Seriously, I need to see how you break down things a bit. I need that order rn haha.
hmmmmm how do I break things down I wonder?
it's a little difficult to describe but basically everything fits into a main category, then smaller and smaller subcategories. with practice you get better but it's like this:
-main category:manga reference
-faces
-expressions
-sad

you could conversely start at a super specific point and work your way back i.e. sad - is an expression - is to do with faces
any category can have multiple children categories i.e. expressions can also be happy/angry etc.
even sad can have more categories - with tears/without tears/crying etc.

for poses it's the same
lets take a major category - movement
-action
-sports
-football
-tackles
-sliding tackle

In practice, I often think of an individual pose and give it a category, which is often in the middle, not quite a final category, but not a main one, and then I work back up to a main category. Once you do this a few times with different ideas, you get a feel for what is a main category and how ideas can be sorted.
i.e. jumping poses - that's not a main category as it can fit into "motion", "action","mid-air" etc., and it can also have it's own children categories ,"leaping","hopping","skipping" etc.

at some point you will find that some categories belong in multiple places - I don't know whats the best way to deal with this effectively but typically chose only one location that it fits into and leave it at that.

It doesn't really matter what your categories are or how you sort your ideas and so on, but it needs to be able to expand - to be able to add more ideas at different levels and still make sense. You can be more generalized with categories or more specific as well. I recommend being specific as this leads itself to finding new categories easier.

For instance rather than just having combat poses in a huge random list, list them by sport, and research the different sports and martial arts. Even martial arts is it's own category. You can have defense poses/attack poses/stances, different martial art styles, and so on. It's limitless.

I'm still working on a nice categorized image tagging system to work with all my reference images haha
« Last Edit: October 15, 2019, 02:31:47 PM by suuper-san »