July 22, 2019, 08:33:56 AM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: Miscellaneous Arts and Sketchbook  (Read 60763 times)

Offline legomaestro

• High Chancellor of Righteousness
  • Global Moderator
  • real life has wack graphics
    • View Profile
Re: Miscellaneous Arts and Sketchbook
« Reply #735 on: April 04, 2019, 01:45:03 PM »
I'll try that in a minute. I know what you mean. Guess it's time to try it out practically.

For now I did a 'study' of sorts using earlier thumbnails to see which method works for me. Verdict: Thicker brushes are better. Guidelines are life savers.

But now I'm surprisingly almost ready to use GIMP or something for other works and just have paint when I want to cool off. Just like I used lined notebooks to give myself less stress and pressure. Hell, might even pick up pencils. But I'll see. No promises.

And yeah haha getting invested in your work can be a problem for real. Gotta shake that habit if you want to produce more. Or at least be a little loose if you can.

Offline suuper-san

• I have no idea what I am doing XD
    • View Profile
« Reply #736 on: April 05, 2019, 07:47:41 AM »
Thicker lines probably feel better because it's easier to make lines meet and get that crisp feeling. Using thinner lines is a lot harder which I realized when I reduced my inking brush size to about half.

That first one is really good. I can see how the sketch contributed to the final lineart and it really pays off to have that layer of rough first.

And great improvements from the original sketches. Good use of different poses too, considering the originals were all mostly standing neutrally.

great face on #437.

I find the biggest problem is becoming invested in your drawing halfway through when it's too late to fix all the problems that you drew while casually being uninvested. Partly my WIP processing helps as it's not the piece itself that makes me invested, it's the time from when I started, so after a few pieces I start to get serious, and the rest come out better. I suppose that's why one is meant to have a warm up of sorts.

and yes guidelines are indeed lifesavers. knowing what sort of guidelines you need, or how and where to draw them, now that's the art.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2019, 03:17:24 PM by suuper-san »
Art: Manga / Fanart / Requests (closed) / Other | Manga Stories: Overdrive / Endlessness
Other: Tutorials / Craft | Feedback & Critique Welcome!!

Offline legomaestro

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #737 on: April 15, 2019, 12:42:09 PM »

Mind is melting a bit at this. Doing the stuff simultaenously is a drag. Will deal with it though.

Offline KeanFox

• View Profile
« Reply #738 on: April 15, 2019, 03:27:50 PM »
Geat work! Some of the designs can be their own thing in a story.

After you hit your quota. Take a breather then try to put the time in finishing something. A downside of the fast sketching drawing/numbers for a long time you might find yourself losing the ability to focus on one drawing and finishing it.
I guess thats why there is a 30sec 5-10 min 30min 1hour drawings/sketch. I mostly did the 30sec 5-10 min ones.

Offline suuper-san

• View Profile
« Reply #739 on: April 16, 2019, 02:35:51 PM »
I think that might just be the most varied bunch of designs you've done!
some crazy ones in there but it all adds to the mix.
also, you drew on lined paper? is that just the powers of brightness/contrast hiding the lines? because that is serious hacking.

@Kenfox yep I'm totally on the 5 minute bandwagon there haha. Need to do longer stuff XD
Art: Manga / Fanart / Requests (closed) / Other | Manga Stories: Overdrive / Endlessness

Offline KeanFox

• View Profile
« Reply #740 on: April 17, 2019, 12:28:04 PM »
@suuper You sometimes take the sketches and lineart/color them.  You also experiment with new styles, like the gray thing you did. So you are practicing your method/process/workflow.

Offline suuper-san

• View Profile
« Reply #741 on: April 17, 2019, 05:15:22 PM »
I suppose so :P
I think I just want to improve everything loads XD

Offline legomaestro

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #742 on: April 17, 2019, 07:40:38 PM »
Gotta level everything up haha.

Found a discarded dog magazine and decided to draw every dog in it. Got done in 2 days. I'm looking forward to being done with these regimens and going into the heavy reference stage. Lots of mags I have lying around I'll be able to get through.

Spoiler

You're right on drawing many on a page thing: I got a lot more done and it somehow felt a tick less exhausting.
Spoiler

@KeaneFox could be something to look into yeah
« Last Edit: April 17, 2019, 07:52:04 PM by legomaestro »

Offline suuper-san

• View Profile
« Reply #743 on: April 19, 2019, 04:13:30 AM »
You're right on drawing many on a page thing
I think that's partly because the amount of detail we feel we need to put in is lower, as well as it's actually faster to draw smaller regardless what it is. For quite rough things it's a great idea to sketch smaller anyway so you don't put lots of detail into a really rough sketch.
also fineliner vs ballpoint can also affect fatigue as one tends to sketch guidelines more with ballpoint, but go straight in with fineliner.

#835 stands out as pretty unique and #837-845 were much higher quality than the rest, like really neat.
and well done, you're nearly at the end point!!!!

dogs are also pretty good. you beat me to it for drawing animals haha
When learning a new thing, like an animal, it might be good to try and draw guidelines to break down the body shape. it might help when trying to draw from memory later. your scribbly line style works wonders for giving them fur though.

Offline legomaestro

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #744 on: April 26, 2019, 05:05:04 PM »
Warning: Some scrolling.

Time to work on thumbnails now. Glad I'm finally done with this bit.

I'm not jumping up and down, but I'm quite interested in the next regimens I have in mind.

I hope to use some of these characters for other projects some days. I definitely need to learn more variation though. I don't have enough 'ugly' characters.

Offline suuper-san

• View Profile
« Reply #745 on: April 26, 2019, 05:29:47 PM »
congratulations! you've got another achievement under your belt!
looks like you went through a whole bunch of different drawing styles and types of pens.
it's good to see usage of blacks in the clothing as well for nice contrast.
#958,853 were nice

I don't have enough 'ugly' characters.
I don't have any lol
I need to learn at some point that I have to draw stuff that I don't want to, to make my story work and my character interesting. At the moment most of my characters fall into very unexciting "normal" designs. That's partly by choice but also because I'm not nearly as adventurous as I should be.

what do you have in mind for your next regimes?

Offline legomaestro

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #746 on: April 26, 2019, 06:52:20 PM »
I forgot to add more details on the post in general. Gah I'll try to be more expositive when I hit my thumbnail quota. Anyhow:

Regimens:

1000 Magazine drawings (no guidelines)

2 manga tracing challenges (Naruto and Biomega by Tsutomi Nihei, pencil, indefinitely long challenge that'll end in the year 2021 unless I go mad and finish it before then)

1000 manga/anime eyes

and a 1000 ecchi challenge that my twin brother from ecchi world will be doing

Offline suuper-san

• View Profile
« Reply #747 on: April 27, 2019, 02:50:56 PM »
sounds awesome. I suspect my anime eyes regime might overlap with my 1000 expressions that I have lined up

by 1000 magazine drawings, is that a certain theme ie people/outfits/animals, or just a copying regime for improving accuracy?

I've also got a half finished bleach manga copying that I might try and finish at some point. I might stagger that with my actual manga story drawing so I can keep my manga specific skills in check.

ahh give your twin my best regards, I'm not on ecchi world much anymore.

all the best and keep us updated :P

Offline legomaestro

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #748 on: May 05, 2019, 08:50:38 AM »
Yeah that does happen with regimens quite a bit. No matter how focused on something it ends up being related to another sort of regimen haha.

The magazine drawing one will be purelya reference and copying one for the sake of accuracy. I'm starting to come around to the idea of breaking down things, though, so maybe i can sneak in some 'studies' in there (I won't study singular topics though, just break down images as I see them and move on. I am a generalist now)

Oh yeah manga copying stuff is interesting too. And yeah the choice between doing your manga projects and training is a hard one. That's why I've decided on the general deadline of 2 years to get all my clutter unfinished training e.t.c out of the way before I say 'Okay, I'm doing this now. I'm under no illusion that I'll still have hundreds of ideas then, but I feel like I'll be much more focused knowing I don't need to feel like I need to fine tune everything to do with my process or feel guilt tripped for not drawing an OC I've had lying in a sketch folder for ages. Also it makes me curious as tho how many 1000s I can rack up after constantly drawing a little every day.

Haha i'll send him your best regards. Also return to the ecchi side. For science!

184 thumbs remaining and I've finished this harrowing thing. Yessss.

Wanna race to the finish, suuper? I see you almost done too on your side for your WIP improvement thing hhaa.

Offline MahluaandMilk

• King of Lurking Losers / Fanservice with Legs
  • Resident Witchipedia
    • View Profile
« Reply #749 on: May 07, 2019, 09:11:54 PM »
 :ohmy:

Y'know I was almost happy with what I was able to produce during my mini-hiatus until I skimmed through here...