March 29, 2024, 04:19:04 AM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: Miscellaneous Arts and Sketchbook  (Read 226810 times)

Offline Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
  • Anyone need a wall of text?
    • View Profile
Re: Miscellaneous Arts and Sketchbook
« Reply #735 on: April 17, 2019, 05:15:22 PM »
I suppose so :P
I think I just want to improve everything loads XD
Art: Illustrations / Fanart / Requests (closed) / Other Art | Manga Stories & Projects
Other Stuff: Tutorials / Craft / Cosplay | Feedback & Critique Welcome!

Offline legomaestro

• High Chancellor of Righteousness
  • Global Moderator
  • real life has wack graphics
    • View Profile
« Reply #736 on: April 17, 2019, 07:40:38 PM »
Gotta level everything up haha.

Found a discarded dog magazine and decided to draw every dog in it. Got done in 2 days. I'm looking forward to being done with these regimens and going into the heavy reference stage. Lots of mags I have lying around I'll be able to get through.

Spoiler

You're right on drawing many on a page thing: I got a lot more done and it somehow felt a tick less exhausting.
Spoiler

@KeaneFox could be something to look into yeah
« Last Edit: April 17, 2019, 07:52:04 PM by legomaestro »

Offline Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #737 on: April 19, 2019, 04:13:30 AM »
You're right on drawing many on a page thing
I think that's partly because the amount of detail we feel we need to put in is lower, as well as it's actually faster to draw smaller regardless what it is. For quite rough things it's a great idea to sketch smaller anyway so you don't put lots of detail into a really rough sketch.
also fineliner vs ballpoint can also affect fatigue as one tends to sketch guidelines more with ballpoint, but go straight in with fineliner.

#835 stands out as pretty unique and #837-845 were much higher quality than the rest, like really neat.
and well done, you're nearly at the end point!!!!

dogs are also pretty good. you beat me to it for drawing animals haha
When learning a new thing, like an animal, it might be good to try and draw guidelines to break down the body shape. it might help when trying to draw from memory later. your scribbly line style works wonders for giving them fur though.
Art: Illustrations / Fanart / Requests (closed) / Other Art | Manga Stories & Projects

Offline legomaestro

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #738 on: April 26, 2019, 05:05:04 PM »
Warning: Some scrolling.

Time to work on thumbnails now. Glad I'm finally done with this bit.

I'm not jumping up and down, but I'm quite interested in the next regimens I have in mind.

I hope to use some of these characters for other projects some days. I definitely need to learn more variation though. I don't have enough 'ugly' characters.

Offline Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #739 on: April 26, 2019, 05:29:47 PM »
congratulations! you've got another achievement under your belt!
looks like you went through a whole bunch of different drawing styles and types of pens.
it's good to see usage of blacks in the clothing as well for nice contrast.
#958,853 were nice

I don't have enough 'ugly' characters.
I don't have any lol
I need to learn at some point that I have to draw stuff that I don't want to, to make my story work and my character interesting. At the moment most of my characters fall into very unexciting "normal" designs. That's partly by choice but also because I'm not nearly as adventurous as I should be.

what do you have in mind for your next regimes?

Offline legomaestro

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #740 on: April 26, 2019, 06:52:20 PM »
I forgot to add more details on the post in general. Gah I'll try to be more expositive when I hit my thumbnail quota. Anyhow:

Regimens:

1000 Magazine drawings (no guidelines)

2 manga tracing challenges (Naruto and Biomega by Tsutomi Nihei, pencil, indefinitely long challenge that'll end in the year 2021 unless I go mad and finish it before then)

1000 manga/anime eyes

and a 1000 ecchi challenge that my twin brother from ecchi world will be doing

Offline Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #741 on: April 27, 2019, 02:50:56 PM »
sounds awesome. I suspect my anime eyes regime might overlap with my 1000 expressions that I have lined up

by 1000 magazine drawings, is that a certain theme ie people/outfits/animals, or just a copying regime for improving accuracy?

I've also got a half finished bleach manga copying that I might try and finish at some point. I might stagger that with my actual manga story drawing so I can keep my manga specific skills in check.

ahh give your twin my best regards, I'm not on ecchi world much anymore.

all the best and keep us updated :P

Offline legomaestro

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #742 on: May 05, 2019, 08:50:38 AM »
Yeah that does happen with regimens quite a bit. No matter how focused on something it ends up being related to another sort of regimen haha.

The magazine drawing one will be purelya reference and copying one for the sake of accuracy. I'm starting to come around to the idea of breaking down things, though, so maybe i can sneak in some 'studies' in there (I won't study singular topics though, just break down images as I see them and move on. I am a generalist now)

Oh yeah manga copying stuff is interesting too. And yeah the choice between doing your manga projects and training is a hard one. That's why I've decided on the general deadline of 2 years to get all my clutter unfinished training e.t.c out of the way before I say 'Okay, I'm doing this now. I'm under no illusion that I'll still have hundreds of ideas then, but I feel like I'll be much more focused knowing I don't need to feel like I need to fine tune everything to do with my process or feel guilt tripped for not drawing an OC I've had lying in a sketch folder for ages. Also it makes me curious as tho how many 1000s I can rack up after constantly drawing a little every day.

Haha i'll send him your best regards. Also return to the ecchi side. For science!

184 thumbs remaining and I've finished this harrowing thing. Yessss.

Wanna race to the finish, suuper? I see you almost done too on your side for your WIP improvement thing hhaa.

Offline MahluaandMilk

• MagicKal#6370 / Fanservice with Legs
  • Resident Witchipedia
    • View Profile
« Reply #743 on: May 07, 2019, 09:11:54 PM »
 :ohmy:

Y'know I was almost happy with what I was able to produce during my mini-hiatus until I skimmed through here...
Haha signature go brr.

Offline legomaestro

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #744 on: May 13, 2019, 06:30:11 PM »
All progress is progress Mahlua. If there's anything I've learnt from regimens is that it's the small steps done reliably that are ever more important than the big milestones as fun as they seem. If you've done some work in a little way in your drawing then it'll pay off in a big way later down the line. Work at your pace and you'll be aces gold.
(And welcome back-ish I guess? It's always fun seeing your post dump after your haituses)

And without further ado...

Spoiler

Thumbs: 1014/1000
Chars: 1000/1000

The 700 mark for both of the regimens was one of the worst grinds I've ever had when it came to regimens. A lot of things in my life at the time were demanding all my attention and I just generally felt wrung out and exhausted with the trudge. But as it always happens regardless of how unmotivated I am the numbers dwindled up until I was only a few more before the finish line and now I'm beyond even that and can say that I've successfully done 1000 characters and 1000 thumbnails.

I tried as well as I could to be unique with every one, to come up with an idea of how the characters would look fully rendered or what thumbnails interested me, and there are quite a few fun moments paired with the horrible trudge. For example the conversations that always come up when people notice you doing regimens (obvious, repeat occurence when you draw traditionally in public.) And then there were times I saw scenes clearly when I was feeling tired and/or boozed up. It's interesting how not being quite razor conscious helps you build up and imagine scenes free-er. I wish I could've done some of those thumnbnails more justice, but I do remember their essence and if I ever felt like expanding upon them I'm confident I'd know a lot more on how to fill out those scenes.

This regimen was a milestone on another front as well: In interests of time and my hope to improve my art, I'm going to be going a heavily tracing/reference based regimen road for a while. I'm desperate to jump right back into my main comic and writing projects after this regimen to see what I've learned from it but I know I'm not quite there yet and am actually excited to shut off a little and let myself learn from external sources and let some inspiration and influences seep into my art more. As it is I have a comfortable enough base of my own style to start off on any of my projects and I'm confident in that, but I want to still spurce it up a little by learning how to reference and basically drawing stuff I usually wouldn't draw (or at least draw stuff I'd love to be able to draw)

I'll be sure of what to call the regimen when I get started on it, but I'm thinking it's 1000 magazine drawings. If something else comes along before that - even if it's not referencing as I intend - I'll see about that too.

For now I will just dance a jig and be happy about hitting this milestone.

And now post all that I have done in all it's glory.

Warning: Lotso scrolling

Spoiler

« Last Edit: May 13, 2019, 06:33:32 PM by legomaestro »

Offline Coryn

• Director of the MR Science Division
  • Global Moderator
  • Secretly a 13 year old girl.
    • View Profile
« Reply #745 on: May 13, 2019, 11:27:10 PM »
Congrats Lego! There's definitely an improvement that can be seen between the beginning and the end of all of these! Some of the thumbs feel like they're about to be focused into a more flushed out piece.

That magazine run does sound interesting, although the thought of you getting back into the regular comic routine is an awful appealing one. It feels like years since you've been on that consistently (hell, maybe that's not far off). But yeah, I imagine once you're back to it on the regular, there will be a marked difference.

Will review stories upon request. My latest arc: http://goo.gl/KYgsfF

Offline legomaestro

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #746 on: May 14, 2019, 07:26:17 PM »
Thanks Coryn!

In my head I'm doing a sort of 'classy procrastination'. I have so many hang-ups that I've got to work through that I need to work my way through them before I can focus on what I want to do. I wish I had  your level of productivity on that front haha.

I'll see if i can sneak a panel or two in between my 'busy' life

Offline Coryn

• Director of the MR Science Division
  • Global Moderator
  • Secretly a 13 year old girl.
    • View Profile
« Reply #747 on: May 14, 2019, 08:43:43 PM »
Well, you just gotta push through it sometime. But I've found that just setting aside a few hours every Sunday will at least keep me pushing forwards. As long as you can find a time to consistently put to it, even if it's an off day, you'll get something done.

Will review stories upon request. My latest arc: http://goo.gl/KYgsfF

Offline Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #748 on: May 15, 2019, 04:14:28 AM »
Congratulations on getting a whole TWO more 1000 regimes under your belt!!!!!!!!

I've sort of mentioned favourites along the way so I wont mention any more, but it's been great to see the amount of unique ideas that you put down on paper.

I did notice that your regime changed very quickly from just drawing clothing to drawing whole characters. that took the focus off the accuracy of the clothing, but I think these functioned better as complete character concepts. As with my own sketches, I've realised it's better to have the good idea and fix the accuracy later than draw something non interesting accurately first time. Your thumbnails also started off a bit random on the pages but you got into a nice rhythm and spaced them nicely and evenly.

You went through quite a few sketching styles so it's difficult to comment on actual art improvement, as well as the fact that they are meant to be rough to begin with, but you had some solid ideas. Even what you probably consider to be your generic non-interesting ideas are still way ahead of me haha

Now that you have finished the both, I might go through and use a bunch of your characters and thumbnails as inspiration for new sketches for a while, although I've got plenty of my own to be working on as well XD

I've not drawn in public very much, partly because my life doesnt get me out in public very much where I am free to draw.  It's great that you've made connections this way and I'm sure it makes the art more fun and interesting.

It's interesting how not being quite razor conscious helps you build up and imagine scenes free-er.
I have occasionally experienced this but not consistently enough to call it a thing. I have experienced very different moods where my accuracy has been extra high or my ideas have been extra fancy. But it's not like I feel any different, it just happens and I don't know why. Sometimes having done exercise beforehand seems to help, like it loosens my body up so I'm more fluid when I draw. I think.

I wish I could've done some of those thumnbnails more justice, but I do remember their essence and if I ever felt like expanding upon them I'm confident I'd know a lot more on how to fill out those scenes.
Really, I think that's the point - to quickly get an idea down on paper. It doesnt have to be great, or even finished, if it conveys the idea properly. If you already know how you would improve it then you almost don't have to, if you get what I mean. It's when you decide to use that scene in an artwork/project that you should be investing the time to fully develop it I think.

I'm desperate to jump right back into my main comic and writing projects after this regimen to see what I've learned from it but I know I'm not quite there yet and am actually excited to shut off a little and let myself learn from external sources and let some inspiration and influences seep into my art more.
Yup that's exactly how I feel pretty much. It's hard to balance "learning art" and "doing art" when you're not at the skill level you want. You've certainly got the right mindset for taking on a huge project now. It's just having the time to do whatever you want that seems to be the problem for all of us.

I'm definitely looking forward to seeing your art leap forward and all the best for the future regimes and projects!!
« Last Edit: May 15, 2019, 04:16:00 AM by suuper-san »

Offline legomaestro

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #749 on: June 30, 2019, 09:56:22 AM »
Well the idea to reference as much as possible turned out to be a huge failure. I ended up shutting down and getting into a major rut. I'm still for tracing manga and drawing from mangazines as the like, but my engines went to a complete stand still and I felt daunted at the idea of putting my pen down to do anything really.

I've decided to dial myself down to near zero, that is, stick figures and simple shapes. It's a legendary cop out, but it's the only thing that works, and it's made me able to draw a little more again so I'll stick with this.

New regimens: 10,000 stick figures and 1,000 simple buildings (made of squares mostly)

I hope the building one will help me with scale at least, otherwise I'm literally just burning through scrap paper and doodling when and where I can, the true essence of a regimen. Still feel like I'm in a rut but I'm more optimistic about these than other ideas.