June 26, 2019, 04:14:16 PM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: Miscellaneous Arts and Sketchbook  (Read 59854 times)

Offline legomaestro

• High Chancellor of Righteousness
  • Global Moderator
  • real life has wack graphics
    • View Profile
Re: Miscellaneous Arts and Sketchbook
« Reply #690 on: December 19, 2018, 10:39:55 AM »
Yeaup. It's actually my main thing. My holy grail. If I had infinite mental stamina I wouldn't even bother, really to try out regimens. I'd start all of my projects and expect to improve over time. No need to worry about flow or running out of ideas. Just draw, draw, draw, as it should be.

YESSS. Plz draw anything you like. Also I ask the same: May I pilfer some of your concepts I like and redraw?

Yeaup. Dem lines are useful. My slant is ridiculous like wow. How do you draw without that issue even.

Yeah A lot of that was sequential then I switched. Theme was 'conversation around a table'.

Yes. Yes. Layout, mini and sketches are all what thumbnailing is about. Thumbnailing is sketching out ideas of an illustration / scene before you draw the complete version. You saw that much in my 'Art' box when I drew with those backgrounds. Basically it's storyboarding.  My plan was to draw 1,000 backgrounds, but for the sake of sanity I settled on thumbnails and such (Similar to how I'm drawing more characters rather than outfits for clothing). 
    I'm surprised/not-surprised you've never done them haha. You're pretty commited to what you draw and even your most rough RIPs look like one of my complete pieces hehe.

Latest

Offline suuper-san

• I have no idea what I am doing XD
    • View Profile
« Reply #691 on: December 19, 2018, 10:57:33 AM »
costumes: #145,147,162 are my favorites on that batch.
thumbnails: #224,226 likewise.

if you like anything I draw then steal away, I'd love to see what you make of it :)

I've always had more of a focus on people and learning to draw characters, so while I have done a bit of backgrounds here and there, it's never really been a focus. it's a mystery as to why though, I just somehow never decided to get better at them. Possibly because I felt more confident in it as I did a bit of technical drawings at school.
As much as I use/plan to use Sketchup for a lot of my background work, I'll still need the basics for the one-shot backgrounds and the planning stages so it's a skill I will have to tackle at some point.

Slant is still my enemy, interestingly drawing with my left hand produced slant in the opposite direction, which tells you a lot and not much at all. I think how you hold your head when drawing has a big impact on how you perceive the horizontal and vertical. I tilt my head nearly 45 degrees sometimes, and depending on which way, I get tilt the other way as well. Actually thinking "ok let's draw a non-slanted guideline" helps to keep an awareness of where I am in space-time.
Art: Manga / Fanart / Requests (closed) / Other | Manga Stories: Overdrive / Endlessness
Other: Tutorials / Craft | Feedback & Critique Welcome!!

Offline legomaestro

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #692 on: December 28, 2018, 12:42:14 PM »
I slacked - big time because of Christmas and all that jazz. Had to play catchup right after. Fun times. Glad to be done with it. On to other stuff now.

Thumbs: 324/1000
Clothes: 267/1000

Offline Coryn

• Director of the MR Science Division
  • Global Moderator
  • Secretly a 13 year old girl.
    • View Profile
« Reply #693 on: December 29, 2018, 12:45:41 AM »
I'm seeing a pattern at the end there. Not sure what it could be  :hmm:

Nice progress Lego!

Will review stories upon request. My latest arc: http://goo.gl/KYgsfF

Offline suuper-san

• View Profile
« Reply #694 on: December 29, 2018, 08:06:19 AM »
I'm with Coryn on that one, they could totally be the top 10 bad guys  uniform or something.

great clothes and thumbnails, at least you've done more than me haha I sort of quite art for the holiday. might get some done today :D

the thumbnails especially look a lot more sharper and clearer. might be just a pen difference but it make a difference to the feel of the pieces. favs are #301 and 309 and 289. looks like you wrote a whole synopsis for that one :P

Art: Manga / Fanart / Requests (closed) / Other | Manga Stories: Overdrive / Endlessness

Offline legomaestro

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #695 on: December 29, 2018, 10:56:31 AM »
Ah, no that's my terrible handwriting striking again. Thank goodness I could read it this time, but I'm trying not to be too scribbly.

I wrote: Concept artists are fully living ????? (the mangaka/artist/ideal-drawing lifestyle - their bread and butter is idea generation

Basically, they do environments and characters and everything in between by default so they're the sort of well-rounded artist I wish I could be to be able to draw the comics that I want to draw.

I wanted to take a break too, but I think I need to be more merciless with my regimens and try not to let up if I can help it. I know, I know. It's a recipe for burnout, but I really can't trust myself to take a long break without quitting for a longer stretch of time than planned. 

Offline suuper-san

• View Profile
« Reply #696 on: December 29, 2018, 05:20:01 PM »
aha yes concept art is definitely something I want to lean towards.
being well rounded is a great thing to be but I'm wondering what would happen if you were actually strongly biased in one of your skills as a manga artist. like your backgrounds are ok but your ability do draw emotions is top notch, or visa versa etc.

if you take a break, make sure it's not "a break away from art", but "a break to do something else", otherwise it's kinda like you're avoiding art, which might contribute to staying off it longer than intended. that's happened to me before. all the while you're not burning out, I think it's best to do as much as you can, but everyone's different.

Offline legomaestro

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #697 on: December 29, 2018, 05:23:31 PM »
First problem of a burnout: You're not in the mood to even document your burnout. It just is. Seriously, if people could describe their writers' blocks or burnouts properly it'd be super helpful to not only the public, but themselves. But the irony is you're not even in the mood to talk about why you're burning out.

That's a nugget of wisdom there for sure though. I'll be sure to channel my energies elsewhere rather than just outright quitting haha.

Offline suuper-san

• View Profile
« Reply #698 on: December 29, 2018, 05:29:23 PM »
yup I don't even write in my diary when I'm having a bad day lol typical example of rage quitting.
it's a nice idea to have a "backburner" skill like playing music or craft or something.

Offline legomaestro

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #699 on: January 08, 2019, 08:54:24 AM »

The catch up game is forever dammit haha

Offline suuper-san

• View Profile
« Reply #700 on: January 08, 2019, 06:49:25 PM »
great costumes, looks like you've got into a groove with coming up with the ideas.
the car which isnt a thumbnail is pretty good.
#346-351 costumes are pretty cool
#370,371,338,339 thumbnails are cool. good to see lots of natural landscapes mixed in as well.

Offline legomaestro

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #701 on: January 09, 2019, 01:18:51 AM »
Yeah I look forward to drawing cars after this is done. Or something more structured. I thought backgrounds would help with that but it seems like both of my regimens have become more concept based than anything. I'm not complaining but even the cubes made me work with straight lines at least haha.

Offline suuper-san

• View Profile
« Reply #702 on: January 09, 2019, 01:41:45 PM »
well working on generating concepts is still cool, and will help down the line when you're trying to add more details to a scene. I've just started loosening up enough to start sketching in backgrounds in some of my sketches now.
maybe when you've done them you can take each costume and try to put it in a different pose or draw it at a higher quality. you dont have to spend the effort thinking of the design when you have it in front of you, so your brain is more free to work on folds and stuff like that.

#392 tower is cool

I'm thinking 2019 is a year of regimes XD

Offline legomaestro

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #703 on: January 21, 2019, 06:49:42 AM »
Yeah. I hope my visual vocabulary improves a bit after doing this sort of stuff for a now.

In other words I am most definitely not a professional. Bad moods completely destroy my regimen. I think hands were more immune to such distruptions because I literally had my reference in front of me and didn't need to think up things. I'll confirm it when I start on the car magazine and stuff.

Also miscounted the outfits by 4. Will plug them in somewhere.

Offline suuper-san

• View Profile
« Reply #704 on: January 21, 2019, 09:50:40 AM »
thats some very nice characters. looks like that lot was very stable in terms of quality, each character is well defined and "realistic"
I swear I'm going to just take all of your characters and put them into my wip folder XD
although really I'd like to figure out how you get them out of your head in the first place (T_T)

do you find the choice of pen helps with flow/creativity?
even digitally I find a thicker pen helps me be more fluid at the cost of sharpness.

nearly half way with both regimes! keep it up!