March 28, 2024, 05:03:34 AM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: Miscellaneous Arts and Sketchbook  (Read 226791 times)

Offline legomaestro

• High Chancellor of Righteousness
  • Global Moderator
  • real life has wack graphics
    • View Profile
Re: Miscellaneous Arts and Sketchbook
« Reply #675 on: December 09, 2018, 06:18:15 PM »
On vehicles-buses : What do you mean by individual trays like the cup-holder in a car or like the fold-down seat on a bus/aeroplane

Also I've never thought about overhead storage as in thinking of drawing them for some reason. I think of Emergency hammers and the hand rails for the seats but never pay attention to where the luggage should be. That's interesting. At least you think of handles on headrests lel.

Tvs on the roof are a mini challenge for me by the way (along with tvs on the back of seats) I force myself to draw and never use them other than to check the weather or travel distance.

On Cities: plyons always sound electric to me, and I could google it for sure. But what do pylons mean!?

I'm not trying to be frustrating but how do you draw junk? A circle with some interesting things poking out of it or do you see it as every rubbish piece in detail? I've never been able to draw truly urban scenes with 'unfinished structures' as you mentioned and/or debris

Wind mills I'd actually love to draw, and electric lines are also suprisingly fun to draw. Railway tracks too if you can be forgiving to yourself on detail.

On House-bedroom: I'm already defeated at fan, clock and calender, even though these are the most obvious things to draw as someone who loves manga and anime. Like I'm not even talking about drawing them in 3d or accurately: These are stuff that always show up in the protagonists' room, and I've never drawn them. Thanks for reminding me.

I'd like to learn to draw a good kotatsu though. And futon. Or short table. I'd like to be able to draw the furniture.  Heck, the workspace of any of my protagonists would be interesting, whether computer or pen and paper I wish I'd drawn one before.

Glad you found my commentary interesting if anything. I'm fully commiting to documenting my art rather than making stuff with trumpets and all, and I hope it makes me more active when it comes to posting and doing stuff haha.

Also it's totally your fault for posting walls of text.

Offline Coryn

• Director of the MR Science Division
  • Global Moderator
  • Secretly a 13 year old girl.
    • View Profile
« Reply #676 on: December 09, 2018, 06:44:07 PM »
So, a thing to remember when drawing structures that are 'under construction', that people might not think about, is that when we're talking about early stages (beams and what not), these buildings are put up one floor at a time.

That is, you won't see like, a phone connection diagram that resembles a set of stairs. It's going to be flat up to  a certain level, and then the construction will be happening. After all, you have to finish one level to start another.

Also, if it's a particularly tall building you're going for, there will be a big crane in the middle of the building. Shorter buildings will have ground based cranes, but the real big ones have cranes that raise as the building does. What's really important to remember though, is that if you're adding steel to a building, you're going to have a crane. You can't just get a bunch of workers to haul that stuff up on their shoulders.

Will review stories upon request. My latest arc: http://goo.gl/KYgsfF

Offline legomaestro

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #677 on: December 09, 2018, 06:50:39 PM »
That's pretty important as far as props go. In my head at least, construction is mostly the reason for unfinished buildings... Unless it's a warzone.

I can theoretically google this, but how are stairs even built? Do they start from bottom step to top or is there some sort of frame made from floor to floor?

Offline Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
  • Anyone need a wall of text?
    • View Profile
« Reply #678 on: December 09, 2018, 06:57:52 PM »
Depends on the style of staircase. Concrete vs wood etc.
Wood typically has a frame that holds the pieces in place, is assembled in one piece then put into place. Concrete i think is cast in situ with reinforcing steel inserts etc. Theres always exceptions on style and designer anyway.
Theres lots of stuff to learn by googling specific features for sure
Art: Illustrations / Fanart / Requests (closed) / Other Art | Manga Stories & Projects
Other Stuff: Tutorials / Craft / Cosplay | Feedback & Critique Welcome!

Offline Coryn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #679 on: December 09, 2018, 08:25:55 PM »
generally with concrete, you have a metal frame that the concrete is poured over.

Also, always bottom to top. General rule for all buidling

Offline legomaestro

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #680 on: December 16, 2018, 04:55:53 PM »
Existence has been dungballs. Managed to churn out some art stuff and make some general observations but too lazy to type it all out. Noteable things are 1. Got a magazine of cars as a gift and started drawing them. It's fun to take a plunge into something I'm wholly not skilled for. Drawing at a bar and had some interesting conversations. 2. Creative exhaustion. Will be crutching on references to pick up the pace. Also need to ask for prop-listings of specific places. Could be fun.

193/1,000 thumbs

132/1,000 clothes

Offline Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #681 on: December 18, 2018, 10:26:56 AM »
stuffs looking good. great variation between the thumbnails, it's amazing how you can get so much variation in the setting and theme and content, I'm impressed as always.

cool fashion too, #124 is my favourite out of that batch.
Art: Illustrations / Fanart / Requests (closed) / Other Art | Manga Stories & Projects

Offline legomaestro

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #682 on: December 18, 2018, 05:01:08 PM »
Domo, I liked that one as well.

The thumbnails are killing me though. They're really taxing on my mental stamina.

And oh yes forgot to mention pencils are death. I'm just going to throw them away now. Or something. They're so frustrating to work with.

Also dat legendary slanting!

Offline Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #683 on: December 18, 2018, 05:22:52 PM »
mental stamina is totally a thing that nobody ever mentions is a problem for artists.....

I assume those vertical lines are anti-slant propaganda? looks like it's working :P
character #139 looks awesome. If i drew men I might steal....
Actually if see any designs I like can I redraw them?

most of those thumbnails looks sequential? either way they're pretty standard angles and setups, but look pretty good. normal is a necessity at least some of the time.
#195 and #203 are my favs.

and I suppose it's a bit late, but what actually is thumbnailing? *face-palm*
just super tiny panel layout sketches? like mini concept sketches?
I've gotta try that out sometime.

Offline legomaestro

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #684 on: December 19, 2018, 10:39:55 AM »
Yeaup. It's actually my main thing. My holy grail. If I had infinite mental stamina I wouldn't even bother, really to try out regimens. I'd start all of my projects and expect to improve over time. No need to worry about flow or running out of ideas. Just draw, draw, draw, as it should be.

YESSS. Plz draw anything you like. Also I ask the same: May I pilfer some of your concepts I like and redraw?

Yeaup. Dem lines are useful. My slant is ridiculous like wow. How do you draw without that issue even.

Yeah A lot of that was sequential then I switched. Theme was 'conversation around a table'.

Yes. Yes. Layout, mini and sketches are all what thumbnailing is about. Thumbnailing is sketching out ideas of an illustration / scene before you draw the complete version. You saw that much in my 'Art' box when I drew with those backgrounds. Basically it's storyboarding.  My plan was to draw 1,000 backgrounds, but for the sake of sanity I settled on thumbnails and such (Similar to how I'm drawing more characters rather than outfits for clothing). 
    I'm surprised/not-surprised you've never done them haha. You're pretty commited to what you draw and even your most rough RIPs look like one of my complete pieces hehe.

Latest

Offline Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #685 on: December 19, 2018, 10:57:33 AM »
costumes: #145,147,162 are my favorites on that batch.
thumbnails: #224,226 likewise.

if you like anything I draw then steal away, I'd love to see what you make of it :)

I've always had more of a focus on people and learning to draw characters, so while I have done a bit of backgrounds here and there, it's never really been a focus. it's a mystery as to why though, I just somehow never decided to get better at them. Possibly because I felt more confident in it as I did a bit of technical drawings at school.
As much as I use/plan to use Sketchup for a lot of my background work, I'll still need the basics for the one-shot backgrounds and the planning stages so it's a skill I will have to tackle at some point.

Slant is still my enemy, interestingly drawing with my left hand produced slant in the opposite direction, which tells you a lot and not much at all. I think how you hold your head when drawing has a big impact on how you perceive the horizontal and vertical. I tilt my head nearly 45 degrees sometimes, and depending on which way, I get tilt the other way as well. Actually thinking "ok let's draw a non-slanted guideline" helps to keep an awareness of where I am in space-time.

Offline legomaestro

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #686 on: December 28, 2018, 12:42:14 PM »
I slacked - big time because of Christmas and all that jazz. Had to play catchup right after. Fun times. Glad to be done with it. On to other stuff now.

Thumbs: 324/1000
Clothes: 267/1000

Offline Coryn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #687 on: December 29, 2018, 12:45:41 AM »
I'm seeing a pattern at the end there. Not sure what it could be  :hmm:

Nice progress Lego!

Offline Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #688 on: December 29, 2018, 08:06:19 AM »
I'm with Coryn on that one, they could totally be the top 10 bad guys  uniform or something.

great clothes and thumbnails, at least you've done more than me haha I sort of quite art for the holiday. might get some done today :D

the thumbnails especially look a lot more sharper and clearer. might be just a pen difference but it make a difference to the feel of the pieces. favs are #301 and 309 and 289. looks like you wrote a whole synopsis for that one :P

Offline legomaestro

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #689 on: December 29, 2018, 10:56:31 AM »
Ah, no that's my terrible handwriting striking again. Thank goodness I could read it this time, but I'm trying not to be too scribbly.

I wrote: Concept artists are fully living ????? (the mangaka/artist/ideal-drawing lifestyle - their bread and butter is idea generation

Basically, they do environments and characters and everything in between by default so they're the sort of well-rounded artist I wish I could be to be able to draw the comics that I want to draw.

I wanted to take a break too, but I think I need to be more merciless with my regimens and try not to let up if I can help it. I know, I know. It's a recipe for burnout, but I really can't trust myself to take a long break without quitting for a longer stretch of time than planned.