April 17, 2024, 08:47:56 PM

------------------------------------------

PLZ READ THIS ALL ACTIVE MEMBERS

CLICK Here.

Author Topic: Miscellaneous Arts and Sketchbook  (Read 227942 times)

Offline legomaestro

• High Chancellor of Righteousness
  • Global Moderator
  • real life has wack graphics
    • View Profile
Re: Miscellaneous Arts and Sketchbook
« Reply #660 on: December 04, 2018, 01:46:08 PM »
I on the other hand envy consistency and uniformity. I'm really struggling with making clothing and backgrounds and they've become purely idea-based exercises rather than studies of how cloth reacts to 3 dimensional bodies. Still, after lurking and seeing Mahlua's hack for studying clothing I think I'll be trying that out once or twice.

Haha Mahlua funny thing is she's made from a scribble. I guess scribbles let me go loose with creating people.  The ones in the centre were made up of simple shapes though.

Latest

Spoiler
Moar thumbnails
Spoiler
Moar clothing

Spoiler
Doodling icons. I almost had the mad wish to make 10,000 of these. I get it, I get building your 3d knowledge is how to be a good artist, but I really just want to have a massive vocabulary of conventional symbols to be able to draw anything off the top of my head. It's like how anime expressions for anger sadness and happiness are completely unrealistic and dangerous to study rather than anatomy - and yet are great at getting to the point and understood by people who read/watch such stuff. The icon for a heart is not anatomically correct, but it just works. I drool at the possibility of having an infinite visual vocabulary of 2d stuff - even though I should work on something else.

Shouldacouldawoulda

Spoiler
Drawn from scribbles. Vid here
 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xVaqknWkjM
Spoiler

And I expanded upon the thumbnails Mahlua picked out. Brain farted on the second one, but it felt nice to know that my mind could fill in the blanks if I ever needed to use the scenes for storytelling.  I wish I could say I saw everything in perfect 3d but at least I can say I have an idea of what the scenes are. First one is an odd village near the lake. Second one is inspired by Darksouls.  I feel like reading Blame! By Tsutomu Nihei again now.

Was not a good drawing dae, but I got a sketchbook as a gift and I plugged away at my numbers. 50 down, 950 to go (for thumbnails and clothin)

Offline Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
  • Anyone need a wall of text?
    • View Profile
« Reply #661 on: December 04, 2018, 02:18:53 PM »
an infinite visual vocabulary
yup, that's pretty much what my reference book is trying to be lol. 10,000 would be great, maybe try 1000 first? haha
looks great so far and very realistic style, I like the rendering.

I'm really struggling with making clothing and backgrounds and they've become purely idea-based exercises rather than studies of how cloth reacts to 3 dimensional bodies
well that's good for something, so it's not a waste at all. I think when you start a 1000 regime you sort of don't know exactly what you're going to be doing and after a few pages you sort of settle down into something that wasn't quite what you started off as :P

great expansion on the thumbnails, I love the ninja treetop village one.

#31,#35,#58 would be great to see larger.
Art: Illustrations / Fanart / Requests (closed) / Other Art | Manga Stories & Projects
Other Stuff: Tutorials / Craft / Cosplay | Feedback & Critique Welcome!

Offline legomaestro

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #662 on: December 04, 2018, 05:52:40 PM »

Got 31. Will work on the other 2 later.

And yeah lol no 10,000 so suddenly I'm pretty okay with my slow new ones and don't wont to overstep. It was just an excited feeling.

And yeah I'm really interested in how I feel around the 200s for my latest regimens. I remember my only noteable changes for my hands was around 600 but I'm curious.

Offline devola

• View Profile
« Reply #663 on: December 04, 2018, 06:01:08 PM »
Great work on 31, you really nailed the sense of scale on that!

Offline Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #664 on: December 04, 2018, 07:06:00 PM »
that is some crazy huge wall if I'm not mistaken :P
looks awesome, would love to know more about it!
I'm sure you'll experience lots of leveling up :)
Art: Illustrations / Fanart / Requests (closed) / Other Art | Manga Stories & Projects

Offline legomaestro

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #665 on: December 04, 2018, 08:43:31 PM »
Yeaup. I was thinking 'buildings in the middle of The Great Wall' so methinks it's pretty large.

I ended up making a thumbnail after my expansion upon a thumbnail so yeah that's fun. All I can hope is it makes sense in the viewers' mind: Huge bowl like zigurrat in a desert. Or at least that's what I felt when I expanded on the thumb.

Offline legomaestro

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #666 on: December 05, 2018, 06:03:48 PM »

Offline MahluaandMilk

• MagicKal#6370 / Fanservice with Legs
  • Resident Witchipedia
    • View Profile
« Reply #667 on: December 05, 2018, 06:31:10 PM »
Clothing number 65 looks like some kind of villain for reasons I cannot explain.
Haha signature go brr.

Offline legomaestro

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #668 on: December 06, 2018, 04:58:10 PM »
I'll note that for future reference.

Found a pen on the floor and stole it. I've discovered I really love pen and ink. Pencils suck for me nowadays.

Moar clothing. There's a huge intersect between clothing and character designs so yeah that's weird. Nothin 3d here.

Edit: Also made a short animation for outfit 78  gal

Found the top left drawing on one of my infinite scrap papers and decided to expand upon it for the next 15 thumbnails while thinking of a potential story. Drew her (Elisa, as I later found out) complaining about being forgotten then went into a narrative where she explains how her dad was a boring assassin and her mother a rebel music prodigy that quit university and became a street musican.

71 is Derrick drowning someone in a pond on a fool moon (the moon is reflecting in the water). 73 him parachuting into a prison. 75 is an assassination where the target is so old and slow he approaches him and explains that he is going to kill him, so they sit down for a cup of poisoned tea to talk about the job and life in general.

76 is referenced. 77 is Derrick meeting Elisa. 78 is Elisa playing a violin to a swan. ("This is the first and last time I'm going to play classical music as taught to me by my professors, and you get to be my audience, little Swan" She said).

84 is Evelyn picking up a trumpet and torturing her parents with her horrible playing.

« Last Edit: December 06, 2018, 05:58:39 PM by yulemaestro »

Offline Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #669 on: December 07, 2018, 04:58:00 AM »
Found the top left drawing on one of my infinite scrap papers and decided to expand upon it for the next 15 thumbnails while thinking of a potential story. Drew her (Elisa, as I later found out) complaining about being forgotten then went into a narrative where she explains how her dad was a boring assassin and her mother a rebel music prodigy that quit university and became a street musican.

71 is Derrick drowning someone in a pond on a fool moon (the moon is reflecting in the water). 73 him parachuting into a prison. 75 is an assassination where the target is so old and slow he approaches him and explains that he is going to kill him, so they sit down for a cup of poisoned tea to talk about the job and life in general.

76 is referenced. 77 is Derrick meeting Elisa. 78 is Elisa playing a violin to a swan. ("This is the first and last time I'm going to play classical music as taught to me by my professors, and you get to be my audience, little Swan" She said).

84 is Evelyn picking up a trumpet and torturing her parents with her horrible playing.
Wut

I could never be that creative with my story ideas, thats a complete new level of madness :P
nice animation. it really makes a difference to see something moving.

and great costumes and outfits. it looks like you're trying to fit them to the body shape more?
cool pattern squares as well.

Offline legomaestro

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #670 on: December 08, 2018, 08:45:07 AM »
It's more like the characters just beg to have those kinds of clothing wrapped about them. When drawing with pen I don't have the luxury of making a mannequin so yeh that's how it rolls.

At almost the 100 mark for both regimens.

Offline Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #671 on: December 08, 2018, 09:00:28 AM »
awesome that you're keeping up both regimes. when you're done be sure to let us know if doing 2 at the same time had any effect on how the regimes worked out.

clothes I liked: 86,95
thumbnails I liked: 92,95

keep it up.
btw for drawing with ink have you ever thought of having an undersheet with a bunch of poses on them so you have a bit of a guide when it comes to drawing the clothes? that's partly why I ink my figures, so I can use them later as proper references and it saves me thinking about proportions and stuff. A lightbox would be handy in that instance but it's not necessary.

Offline legomaestro

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #672 on: December 08, 2018, 10:26:15 AM »
I'll keep that in mind. It's not super easy but I'm a bit laissez faire when it comes to making these things. If they were full figure carefully planned drawings I wouldn't be making this rate at all.

That could be an idea. I do need a light table though.  I bought tracing paper and it just didn't quite work for me, and it'd be a godsend if I ever want to finish copydrawing naruto.

Offline legomaestro

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #673 on: December 09, 2018, 11:10:29 AM »

I need to use rulers more. My slanting problem is ridiculous, and I've discovered that I can't draw mirror images to save the life of me. (shoes, 101). Normally I'm cool with this sort of thing and just on mileage when drawing, but since I'm going to be doing animation along with comics soon , I need a little bump in accuracy.

Spoiler
I had no inspiration today, so while I did make a lot of imaginary outfits, I learnt a lot from looking around: Clothing is very, very weather themed, and beyond that, it's all about the patterns/textures. I could break down every piece of clothing this month to hoodies and coats - The thing that sets them apart is colours and palletes. (Yeah some will have furry looks some will have lines e.t.c but there's no crazy variation as you'd see in manga/anime.)

I need to look into shoes. From observation, I'm impressed at how varied they actually are in shape.

Twas an interesting session this time around. I wanted to test my consistency of the background while developing a scene. I deliberately did not add dialogue boxes or even try ti have an idea of what was happening up until the 117 mark.

Noticed/Thought about a heck of a lot of things. So in no particular order

Spoiler
1. If I can list the props needed for a particular background or scene, then I'll do better

If I can hear the word 'City' in my head then all I need to do is think of traffic lights, sidewalks, trashcans, hydrants, glass, doors, signs e.t.c If I can forgive myself for 3d accuracy I can just stuff a scene with all of that stuff to make it at least look good. A higher level artist, however, would be concerned about if cities in Britain have the same fire hydrants as those in 'Murica. There are some fine differences aren't they? Or something.

2. Proportion sama

If you can't 3d (Like I can't) Then at least try to be able to find how the sizes and shapes fit in an image. I learnt the hard way how bad I am at this on 114,115 and 116. This isn't good, but at least I could comprehend in my mind what the scene was - The important thing is though, did the reader see it right?

3. Foreshortening

Important. I do a lot of stick figures and I'm still on the fence about this because of practicality, but foreshortening makes a lot out of an image. The original version of 122 was very horizontal, then I drew the large foot and even though it looked wackier, it looked better.

4. Are you still reading this?

Ironic, I know, but actually this is one of the points I've discovered for myself: Art for me NEEDS to become documentary rather than creation-ary. I've always been a sketchy hobbyist type, so thinking about making complete projects is way too stressful. It's more fun to try to document my process and post as much as possible than to make complete illustrations and pour all my energy into that.

It's a tricky subject for me. You see, I love anime but I feel uncomforteable when a critic digs into it and dissects it. I want to just enjoy it as a viewer would with no expectations and no big judgements.
    On the other hand: Analysing stuff is part of the process. It's interesting to find a word for stuff that you take for granted. Who knew there was a word for a storyteller that is also part of the story? It's annoying to overanalyze things and the best art that is done imo is when you just screw around and go for it rather than scienfitifcally approach everything. But perhaps there's a place for both worlds.

5. Particle effects, hatching, lighting

I need to learn how shounen manga show punches, explosions, magic and the like. It's actually amazing how they can show so much light and effects with only black and white, and I need to absolutely learn that. Bleach is my favourite example on that front: I've never not mistaken a Cero as anything other than an epic energy blast.

6. Depth

It's important to know which character is more importan than the other.

7. Shapes

Stick figures are only useful if the feet are pointy and the faces have the cross-face. The better the artist, the less you need these to show where the figure is facing, but otherwise from the lowest details to the highest, the basic figures need to be distinct.

Finally

As far as I can see, the storyboard became some weird discussion and then turned into an epic battle of rock-paper scissors. Did ye see that?

Offline Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #674 on: December 09, 2018, 05:46:40 PM »
nice storyboard and progressive thumbnails, and great consistency between them, they really did look linked.

and great observational points. If you could read my guidebook (to be) you practically summarized some of the sections. I have a props breakdown for certain typical scenes such as a city or house, with lamposts and whatnot in the "don't forget these exist" column.

the me at the moment 100% agrees art is documentary and it looks like you and I are attacking the same problems from different angles. although this applies more to manga art, not like picasso art.

the bleach Ceros are indeed awesome along with the other spell thingies (I loved the binding spells which put things in boxes or trapped them with beams and stuff) it's a huge section that I need to improve on as I don't really do moving or dynamic pieces.

that sequential storyboard/thumbnails might be something I try at some point as a chicken-out of doing a proper manga.

PS here's some more props from my notes which might give you some inspiration. I make observations on buses and stuff but organizing it takes more time than it's worth I'm sure. It's fun at least for me to make huge database-style lists even if I might not ever use them properly XD
vehicles-buses etc
Individual trays, lights, curtains and Windows
Safety belts,
Overhead storage
Handles on head rests for people behind.
Emergency hatches
storage below
Tv's along roof
Seats, backs, headrests
common city props
•   Lamp posts
•   Rubbish bins/junk areas
•   Bridges
•   Electric pylons,transmission towers
•   road, signs,barriers,overhead signs
•   Tunnels,lights,
•   Half-finished structures
•   Dropped roads over valleys
•   Construction works
•   Planted trees around industrial works
•   Vehicles of course
•   Wind turbines
•   Signal lights as opposed to traffic lights. Large complexes with their own road structures.
•   Walls/hedges
house-bedroom
Fan, Clock, Calendar, Clothes, hangars and hooks, Computers, laptops, Hi-fi , speakers, Bed, bunk bed, futon etc, Short tables, kotatsu, books and shelves