March 21, 2019, 04:26:19 AM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: Miscellaneous Arts and Sketchbook  (Read 54900 times)

Offline legomaestro

• High Chancellor of Righteousness
  • Global Moderator
  • real life has wack graphics
    • View Profile
Re: Miscellaneous Arts and Sketchbook
« Reply #660 on: December 01, 2018, 02:46:35 PM »
My paper management is a catastrophe so while sketchbooks hurt the wallet they're really nice to keep everything in one place. Gawd I have so much scrap paper (that I also need to get through along with my pencils)

Offline legomaestro

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #661 on: December 01, 2018, 06:21:41 PM »

Testing out something. Pick any thumbnail and I'll expand on it.

Offline MahluaandMilk

• Queen of Lurking Losers / Ms. Fanservice
  • Resident Witchipedia
    • View Profile
« Reply #662 on: December 02, 2018, 12:13:20 AM »
I like even fourteen or twenty-one.

Offline legomaestro

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #663 on: December 03, 2018, 02:43:10 PM »
Thanks for the choice.

Spoiler

Spoiler

Discovered I'll need to get into patterns and textures at a point. Even the most plain T-shirt can look better by having a witty quote on it, so the same applies to all sorts of dress and outfits.

Spoiler

Scribble art. I made thumbnails out of scribbles and random shapes. I'll definitely be looking into this more.

Really defcient on the 3d side of things. I can barely draw shoes, and those things can be quite complicated if you study them and them alone.

I'm taking thumbnails easier now that i'm focusing on the ideas rather than the spacial accuracy for now.

I've also discovered that clothing is quite subjective depending on the manga you'll draw. The more realistic stories will need realistic standard clothing that fit the time era and place of the setting. The more wacky zany stories will need to make clothing that fit all sizes all races all personalities.  I think Jojo is the perfect blend of the two in a way, but I lean towards One Piece's wackiness more.

Did I mention I hate pencils? It's just way too tempting to erase and stuff, and they're not bold enough in their initial strokes. Will try to get used to them but not for long.

Offline MahluaandMilk

• Resident Witchipedia
    • View Profile
« Reply #664 on: December 03, 2018, 02:48:08 PM »
Oooh, I really like the girl on the bottom right at the every end. She's got some attitude, and I see a good confidence in shapes when planning out her design.

Offline suuper-san

• I have no idea what I am doing XD
    • View Profile
« Reply #665 on: December 03, 2018, 03:06:49 PM »
I love the energy and dynamics you've got in those characters!
and yes, as I also discovered recently, patterns make simple things look amazingly better. it's amazing how you can change the feel of the clothes by textures and whatnot, and yes genre and era have a huge impact.Personally I can't be too bothered with patterns at the moment as I'm focusing on getting the plain clothes looking right with all the folds and stuff, but it's certainly a good thing to keep in mind.

I would say pencils being faint in the beginning is a good thing, but you've got to be in good lighting to see faint strokes clearly so that can be a hassle :P

great output and awesome variety, keep it up!
I struggle so hard to get variety but thats probably because I actually like consistency and uniformity, so I just don't feel that creative pressure pushing me to do something different to the last 10 sketches :P
Art: Manga / Fanart / Requests (closed) / Other
Manga: Overdrive / Endlessness
Other: Tutorials / Craft
Feedback & Critique Welcome!!

Offline legomaestro

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #666 on: December 04, 2018, 01:46:08 PM »
I on the other hand envy consistency and uniformity. I'm really struggling with making clothing and backgrounds and they've become purely idea-based exercises rather than studies of how cloth reacts to 3 dimensional bodies. Still, after lurking and seeing Mahlua's hack for studying clothing I think I'll be trying that out once or twice.

Haha Mahlua funny thing is she's made from a scribble. I guess scribbles let me go loose with creating people.  The ones in the centre were made up of simple shapes though.

Latest

Spoiler
Moar thumbnails
Spoiler
Moar clothing

Spoiler
Doodling icons. I almost had the mad wish to make 10,000 of these. I get it, I get building your 3d knowledge is how to be a good artist, but I really just want to have a massive vocabulary of conventional symbols to be able to draw anything off the top of my head. It's like how anime expressions for anger sadness and happiness are completely unrealistic and dangerous to study rather than anatomy - and yet are great at getting to the point and understood by people who read/watch such stuff. The icon for a heart is not anatomically correct, but it just works. I drool at the possibility of having an infinite visual vocabulary of 2d stuff - even though I should work on something else.

Shouldacouldawoulda

Spoiler
Drawn from scribbles. Vid here
 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xVaqknWkjM
Spoiler

And I expanded upon the thumbnails Mahlua picked out. Brain farted on the second one, but it felt nice to know that my mind could fill in the blanks if I ever needed to use the scenes for storytelling.  I wish I could say I saw everything in perfect 3d but at least I can say I have an idea of what the scenes are. First one is an odd village near the lake. Second one is inspired by Darksouls.  I feel like reading Blame! By Tsutomu Nihei again now.

Was not a good drawing dae, but I got a sketchbook as a gift and I plugged away at my numbers. 50 down, 950 to go (for thumbnails and clothin)

Offline suuper-san

• View Profile
« Reply #667 on: December 04, 2018, 02:18:53 PM »
an infinite visual vocabulary
yup, that's pretty much what my reference book is trying to be lol. 10,000 would be great, maybe try 1000 first? haha
looks great so far and very realistic style, I like the rendering.

I'm really struggling with making clothing and backgrounds and they've become purely idea-based exercises rather than studies of how cloth reacts to 3 dimensional bodies
well that's good for something, so it's not a waste at all. I think when you start a 1000 regime you sort of don't know exactly what you're going to be doing and after a few pages you sort of settle down into something that wasn't quite what you started off as :P

great expansion on the thumbnails, I love the ninja treetop village one.

#31,#35,#58 would be great to see larger.

Offline legomaestro

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #668 on: December 04, 2018, 05:52:40 PM »

Got 31. Will work on the other 2 later.

And yeah lol no 10,000 so suddenly I'm pretty okay with my slow new ones and don't wont to overstep. It was just an excited feeling.

And yeah I'm really interested in how I feel around the 200s for my latest regimens. I remember my only noteable changes for my hands was around 600 but I'm curious.

Offline devola

• View Profile
« Reply #669 on: December 04, 2018, 06:01:08 PM »
Great work on 31, you really nailed the sense of scale on that!

Offline suuper-san

• View Profile
« Reply #670 on: December 04, 2018, 07:06:00 PM »
that is some crazy huge wall if I'm not mistaken :P
looks awesome, would love to know more about it!
I'm sure you'll experience lots of leveling up :)

Offline legomaestro

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #671 on: December 04, 2018, 08:43:31 PM »
Yeaup. I was thinking 'buildings in the middle of The Great Wall' so methinks it's pretty large.

I ended up making a thumbnail after my expansion upon a thumbnail so yeah that's fun. All I can hope is it makes sense in the viewers' mind: Huge bowl like zigurrat in a desert. Or at least that's what I felt when I expanded on the thumb.

Offline legomaestro

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #672 on: December 05, 2018, 06:03:48 PM »

Offline MahluaandMilk

• Resident Witchipedia
    • View Profile
« Reply #673 on: December 05, 2018, 06:31:10 PM »
Clothing number 65 looks like some kind of villain for reasons I cannot explain.

Offline legomaestro

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #674 on: December 06, 2018, 04:58:10 PM »
I'll note that for future reference.

Found a pen on the floor and stole it. I've discovered I really love pen and ink. Pencils suck for me nowadays.

Moar clothing. There's a huge intersect between clothing and character designs so yeah that's weird. Nothin 3d here.

Edit: Also made a short animation for outfit 78  gal

Found the top left drawing on one of my infinite scrap papers and decided to expand upon it for the next 15 thumbnails while thinking of a potential story. Drew her (Elisa, as I later found out) complaining about being forgotten then went into a narrative where she explains how her dad was a boring assassin and her mother a rebel music prodigy that quit university and became a street musican.

71 is Derrick drowning someone in a pond on a fool moon (the moon is reflecting in the water). 73 him parachuting into a prison. 75 is an assassination where the target is so old and slow he approaches him and explains that he is going to kill him, so they sit down for a cup of poisoned tea to talk about the job and life in general.

76 is referenced. 77 is Derrick meeting Elisa. 78 is Elisa playing a violin to a swan. ("This is the first and last time I'm going to play classical music as taught to me by my professors, and you get to be my audience, little Swan" She said).

84 is Evelyn picking up a trumpet and torturing her parents with her horrible playing.

« Last Edit: December 06, 2018, 05:58:39 PM by yulemaestro »