November 14, 2018, 02:39:02 AM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: Miscellaneous Arts and Sketchbook  (Read 43082 times)

Offline legomaestro

• High Chancellor of Righteousness
  • Global Moderator
  • real life has wack graphics
    • View Profile
Re: Miscellaneous Arts and Sketchbook
« Reply #600 on: November 02, 2018, 08:27:20 PM »
I weep every tim I know I can't get Bleach or Naruto. I do have some volumes, but wowee it'll take a bit.

Offline suuper-san

• Anyone need a wall of text?
    • View Profile
« Reply #601 on: November 03, 2018, 09:02:58 AM »
yeah spending hours on one thing isn't quite something I'm happy to submit myself to yet. I can just about spend 2 hours on my better illustrations. a lot of my time is spent trying to increase my speed :P

actually watches have been on my mind lately, as it's an easy way to add character and detail to a person.

yeah counting can be a negative thing if you're having a slow day :P

wow, nearly at 250 already? gotta get myself in gear, can't be left behind :P
well stick figures is somewhat of a loose term to begin with, as long as you are exploring poses without the realistic proportions getting in the way, then I think that's fine. in face it's better in the long term if they are a bit blocky, as that makes it easier to draw figures and the like, and get that 3D rotation vision going.

depending on my mood I can probably get as many as 50 tiny stick figures to a page, down to about 6 at the lowest, but its better to have a medium level of detail and go the 10-20 range.

I normally try and buy books in bulk for keeping costs down as well. I've got about 300 manga and novels now. I'll keep you in mind if I ever want to get rid of anything :)

Offline legomaestro

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #602 on: November 03, 2018, 06:19:11 PM »
300 manga and novels damn. Did you go to a sale or something? And hey, I'm always open to some freeeee manga so I'll hold you to that .

Haha to be honest I'm not as happy as I'd like to be with how they look. I really wish I could standardize the process, or make some interesting shapes for the characters. But it is what it is.

Spoiler

Offline suuper-san

• View Profile
« Reply #603 on: November 04, 2018, 06:31:08 AM »
man you're getting even more ahead of me @_@
actually I wouldn't recommend completely standardizing the process/model, because at least by my experience, it helps to have a few different models to use, as sometimes the pose suits being drawn with a different model. especially when you starting going into perspective, a box model helps a lot more, but when i draw normally, i use circle and ovals a lot more. so really, do whatever works.

#272 is a good one for construction.
but remember something - especially in the arms and legs but everywhere really, when the joint bends, the fat/muscle etc change shape and become squashed/stretched/tensed, the knee even has an extra sort of joint, the kneecap, which affects how it looks at different positions. so even when you have a "perfect" box model to use, you have to remember that people's bodies change shape and are, well, squashy.

Offline legomaestro

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #604 on: November 04, 2018, 07:44:13 AM »
I'll take that sqaushyness advice to heart, because it's not only the physical forms that I fail to manipulate, it's the emotional aspect of characters that I don't know what to do with. None of my characters enjoy food, get tired, laugh or anything like that. They're always holding swords and guns and trying to look cool. I want to expand on that.

I did like 272 though so yeah.

Question: How do you feel about stick figures with  a ballpoint vs. a fineliner? I've seen the two tools handle so differently it gives a different feel for building up figures. ballpoint is good for feeling out figures but I seem to be more accurate and definite with fineliners.

I hope to make a lot more figures tis Sunday. I want to be at 500 by the end of the month at least.

Offline suuper-san

• View Profile
« Reply #605 on: November 04, 2018, 11:57:40 AM »
None of my characters enjoy food, get tired, laugh or anything like that. They're always holding swords and guns and trying to look cool.
Same here, but all my characters are girls in jeans/shorts and a t-shirt, gently smiling. At least yours have variety in weapons and clothing and stuff :P

hmmmmm if it's just stick figures, there's much less of a difference between ballpoint and fineliner. I tend to sketch in ballpoint so I spend more time drawing a lighter version first to make sure I'm right, before pressing harder. With fineliner I tend to think before I act more because I can't sketch. I'll try out a couple of pages in each and see what difference it makes.

I want to be at 500 by the end of the month at least.
well at this rate you'll be at 2000 by the end of the month lol

Offline legomaestro

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #606 on: November 04, 2018, 01:35:45 PM »
Don't tempt me lel.

Will look forward to your stuff.

Offline Coryn

• Director of the MR Science Division
  • Global Moderator
  • Secretly a 13 year old girl.
    • View Profile
« Reply #607 on: November 04, 2018, 01:36:25 PM »
Yeah, there's a certain problem you've hit on the head there you two. I think that a lot of the problem arrives from the stramlined view we keep in our head of our preferred genres. For Lego's case with shounen, it's the swords and the cool posing that stick in your mind. It's not the little touches that make characters feel like real people that you get during your time with the stories themselves. It's like the old critique people often have of Hollywood movies. "Why do none of the characters ever use the bathroom? Even when it would make sense for them to at least dip off screen for a minute?"

It's because they're just props. Just chess pieces on the writer's board. Normally you don't notice though, because there's other things that make them seem human. But take enough of those things away, and suddenly you realize that you might as well be drawing mannequins.

Will review stories upon request. My latest arc: http://goo.gl/KYgsfF

Offline legomaestro

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #608 on: November 04, 2018, 03:15:21 PM »
Funny enough I was reminded of the troupe https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheLawOfConservationOfDetail?from=Main.LawOfConservationOfDetail

I guess it's technically the answer to why characters aren't overly life-like, but I rarely use even the Hollywood version of character building. Forget toilet breaks, my characters don't even travel from place to place.

That mannequin thing is the feeling I get from illustration in general these days. It's awesome to see yet another smexy woman with a sword posing suggestively in awesome skimpy medival armour but after some time my eyes just get glazed over. Where is the story? Why should I care about this particular character? Why do they fight?

I sound like I'm expecting grand stories for every character, but to be honest I'm fine with even a personality like Goku's to at least get my mind to care a little. Your character is a muscle-head who likes fights even to the detriment of his allies and eats a lot? I'm sold. If you have something a little more sophisticated sure, but please give me something to care about.

Offline Coryn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #609 on: November 04, 2018, 03:47:13 PM »
I think that's part of maturity too. Along the same lines of "I realize that women aren't just objects to fulfill my sexual desires."

At some point you realize that characters are more than just  cool design. They need to be people. It's the shortcoming of basically ever writer that ever did writ (spelling intentional. Not that drunk.) You gotta make people, you gotta believe in them. Not just in their motivations, but in the fact that THEY ARE PEOPLE. You have to play the alchemist to the homunculi. Breath your life into them. Split your soul. Make them real.

Characters are our children. A children who is not cared for will die, or be stillborn. You must strive to create a person, not just a character. Only people can driver a story. Characters just live through them.

Offline suuper-san

• View Profile
« Reply #610 on: November 04, 2018, 05:02:38 PM »
*10 hours of TV Tropes later*

I suppose what Coryn points out is that each artist has a style in how they show a story, as well as the balance of action/non-action etc. At the moment, Lego, your style is having cool poses and characters, much like JoJo's kinda main point was. So its possible/better to actually capitalize on that skill and make it into a style, rather than aiming for something else. just a bizarre thought I had.

But yeah it's true you can't have 100% cool poses without any proper character development or conversation, otherwise it's strange. but you can have a bias towards one or the other, hence the shounen and shoujo etc styles. I think I just realized something really obvious XD

that was a really motivational speech Coryn though :)

Offline Coryn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #611 on: November 04, 2018, 05:17:04 PM »
"Motivational speech brought to you by gin. Drink gin, drink London!" (British announcer's voice)

Offline legomaestro

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #612 on: November 09, 2018, 09:14:22 AM »
Spoiler

Just a dump, nothing to see here

Offline MahluaandMilk

• Queen of Lurking Losers / Ms. Fanservice
  • Resident Witchipedia
    • View Profile
« Reply #613 on: November 09, 2018, 02:49:55 PM »
Nobody here but us stick figures. :ninja:

Offline KeanFox

• View Profile
« Reply #614 on: November 10, 2018, 03:04:37 AM »
They look pretty nice! I feel that you are learning fast. Are you using a wooden figure for some of them?