April 18, 2024, 11:58:15 PM

------------------------------------------

PLZ READ THIS ALL ACTIVE MEMBERS

CLICK Here.

Author Topic: Miscellaneous Arts and Sketchbook  (Read 228000 times)

Offline legomaestro

• High Chancellor of Righteousness
  • Global Moderator
  • real life has wack graphics
    • View Profile
Re: Miscellaneous Arts and Sketchbook
« Reply #510 on: November 26, 2017, 06:09:29 PM »
Haha keep at it then. I need such insta-comic slinging skills.

Been sitting on a haphazard drawing regimen. Mostly my own hands.  I wish I had something to take me up like the stick figures thing.  Those are always fun.

As always lotso scrolling

Offline MahluaandMilk

• MagicKal#6370 / Fanservice with Legs
  • Resident Witchipedia
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: November 26, 2017, 06:39:30 PM »
Daaayum man, makin' me look bad over here.

Looks like your next step will be to start getting your pressure consistent. I'm having a similar issue right now with my tablet pen tbh, but you can really see with the blue pen where you get a little blotchy.

I'm glad to say that your perspective has come leagues above where you started from. Congrats, Lego! Maybe someday it'll reach Maestro level...
Haha signature go brr.

Offline Suuper-san

• Level 0 Writer
  • Anyone need a wall of text?
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: November 29, 2017, 02:58:21 PM »
@mahlua keep it up!!!!! its better to do a little each day than a lot in one go (basically the exact opposite of what i do :P)

brilliant quantity as always. more than before i'm feeling that your style is starting to become more uniform, and among those sketches there were some brilliant hand poses and character designs. good building stuff too.

perhaps try drawing the same character more than once, in a different pose or clothes or expression, that might help you to focus on maintaining consistent details. its something im trying myself as well, because in a manga you draw the same character(s) relentlessly, so being able to keep the details the same is very important.

you still sketch while travelling?
Art: Illustrations / Fanart / Requests (closed) / Other Art | Manga Stories & Projects
Other Stuff: Tutorials / Craft / Cosplay | Feedback & Critique Welcome!

Offline legomaestro

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: November 29, 2017, 07:27:29 PM »
I haven't been able to find the juice for it strangely. It's really frustrating. All I do is stare catatonic like out the window haha.

I hope to be able to do it again though.

I'm getting into comics a little, so maybe I'll be able to draw the same character more than once, but if you're hoping that I somehow get some consistency and order in my drawings, then you are dreaming a pipe-dream. It's just not my thing, unfortunately...

@Mahlua nein. Don't aspire to my lazy art heights. Defeat them. As for pressure, I hear you. These liquid ink pens are quite nasty when it comes to drawing, so I'll need to get back to bic a bit it seems.

And haha. I can't make the great Mahlua look bad. You have jokes!

Offline MahluaandMilk

• Resident Witchipedia
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: December 15, 2017, 08:46:01 PM »
Ah, yeah. The plan is for me to start back up over the break, although I can already tell based on some small sketches I started earlier last week that I've lost my touch quite a bit. Hopefully it'll grow back pretty quickly, like learning a thing a second time usually does.

But I will probably get around to defeating you eventually. I just take the slow, I-have-other-things-to-do approach, unfortunately.
Haha signature go brr.

Offline VOYA

• Voyager
  • Hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: January 17, 2018, 07:05:08 AM »

I've been on a drawing binge for the ages. It just sort of happened when I was playing around with one point perspective (and a little on iconography/symbology)

The cubes became mind-numbing at a point, but I definitely feel a lot better about 3d these days. At least a little more hopeful. I haven't counted, but I'm pretty sure I've hit the 1,000 mark by a rough calculation. Was an interesting rush.

As for the whole iconography/symbology thing. I've been gripped by the whole concept ever since I looked into sketchnotes. Why are some things instantly recognizeable, and some others not? Is there any way to use them to relay an idea fast in the simplest way possible? Most of the doodles here are referenced, but I think I'll look into it a bit more.
Spoiler

Tired as all heaven right now, so I'll just leave the post here. Warning. Lotso scrolling.

Spoiler

Lego! your mind reminds me perhaps you'd love some of Kim Jung's work (check him out if you haven't heard of him, your doodles on 3d objects in space remind me of his perspective work) If you do/already like him, Karl Kopinski I think is another guy you'll love, they have a doodle style (completely free hand, ink or pencil, absolutely fantastic) that I think you'll love.

Then there's this youtube channel: Moderndayjames who teaches exactly what you're doing in your doodles which is boxes in space, along with perspective,  with just the doodling/freehand style that you adopt. I think you'll LOVE that stuff especially if you're going in the direction I think you're going in.

(Didn't even know you posted work yourself, happy to see this :) )
Hey there, I am using WhatsA- ... oh

Offline legomaestro

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: January 19, 2018, 08:36:35 PM »
Oh hell yes I know of Kim Jung Gi's work. I bought his french comic book - the only thing I could afford. His art books are too damn expensive :( - I even follow him on facebook, and he does streams pretty regularly.

Never heard of Karl Kopiniski though so hell yes and thank you Ovium.

I'll see if I can check out Moderndayjames. While skimming one of his videos I got the useful tip 'don't zoom in and out of a canvas' or something along those lines. Was pretty interesting to learn.

Haha yeah I actually do post stuff like this. This is more of a record than anything though, since it's not directly related to manga and anime in any way.

Been working on thumbnailing because I want to focus more on drawing sequential art.
Spoiler

I quickly realized I was being drained of ideas way too fast, because I'm still not comfortable with what I consider to be the holy grail of building up drawings: The square (rectangle), triangle, the circle and lines. So along my other odd life drawing regimens, my current main focus is playing with those simple forms. I hope to be able to realibly twist and manipulate them as I wish, and with the right shading give them different aspects. I want to make it a self study as much as possible, and honestly it's been really fun just screwing around and seeing what effects I can achieve.

Spoiler

Triangles prove to be the most annoying forms to work with alone. They just beg to be paired with other simple forms. Circles and squares (rectangles) prove to be the most diverse.

I used to love cross-hatching at a point because of the cyberpunk mangaka Tsutomu Nihei (Sidonia no Kishi, Blame!) but the more I try it out the more I see how hard it is to use crosshatching to make forms look good. Darn it.

Offline legomaestro

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: April 06, 2018, 06:43:44 AM »
Warning: Lotso cubes

Drawing them was already hellish. I couldn't be bothered to scan so I just set up a tripod and photographed everything. Some pixels died in the process.

Well this was the last cube regimen that I'll ever do. It took way too long, It was torture when I had a hundred pages left, it was torture when I had 60 left, and even worse towards the end, but finally I  filled about 250 pages with cubes and I am absolutely done. I postponed a tonne of things to finish this because I wanted to challenge myself for once at something.

I only have a couple of instances where the cubes were sort of feeling themselves in my mind, which is dissapointing because I wanted my 3d visualization to be on the level of a Byakuugan at this point, but meh, I'm just pleased to be done with it all. Mechanical 3d it is.

I'm looking forward to returning to drawing from life and all that jazz. Pretty stoked actually to have other things to tackle than these accursed cubes.

Nah, jokes. I love cubes.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2018, 04:28:41 PM by legomaestro »

Offline Coryn

• Director of the MR Science Division
  • Global Moderator
  • Secretly a 13 year old girl.
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: April 06, 2018, 07:40:00 AM »
Oh boy that is pretty trippy to watch right after waking up...

Will review stories upon request. My latest arc: http://goo.gl/KYgsfF

Offline MahluaandMilk

• Resident Witchipedia
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: May 11, 2018, 10:37:56 PM »
You've certainly kept yourself busy. I wish I can say I have been too, but alas...
Haha signature go brr.

Offline legomaestro

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: May 13, 2018, 04:15:30 AM »
Doesn't matter how fast you run, all that matters is consistency, and after this epic excercise I haven't been doing much training haha. My cooldown time is still too damn high.

Offline legomaestro

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: July 06, 2018, 08:02:46 AM »
Ah, the dreaded block. I burnt out after making comics for a bit, what isn't a good omen for my hopes of making them more regularly, so I'm trying to get at least something done by doing stick figures. Even those crashed and burned, but over time I've managed to get something out.

Warning: Some scrolling
Spoiler

I'm amazed at how other stick figure artists can really show personality and action through such simple figures. I'm more interested in communication with art than ever now. I'm going to steer a lot away from photorealistic art and focus on expressive stuff. It's always been my jam anyways.

Proportions would be nice to learn though.

Spoiler

I had an interesting conversation with someone at a park while sketching and playing the guitar. Some punker types.  This is why I'm always walking around with a pen and paper. I can remember the context of whatever I was doodling so it's great.
Spoiler

Train, and my guitar on the left
Spoiler

Motorbikes. I love motorbikes. Motorbikes and watches: If I could ever be talented at something it'd be to be able to draw them at least. They're just awesome.
Spoiler

More stick figures

Spoiler

no idea no jutsu
Spoiler

Spoiler

Thumbnails and draw-copies from Naruto. Kishimoto-sensei's backgrounds are amazing.
Spoiler

Used to do one of these every day. I don't have a theme on my mind at the moment so I've let it go, but it's always calming to work on these.

Spoiler

Spoiler

My weaknesses/wishes as of now: The ability to draw animals, comedy in my stories, drawing larger women, texture and complicated mechanical objects
Spoiler

I saw cars and said 'What could go wrong?' Many things. Several things.

Spoiler

This half way between stick figures and fashion could be a thing for me. I'm forever hoping to be able to make cooler looking outfits for my characters
Spoiler

Moar figures

Moar figures.
Spoiler

Plants are fun to draw when they sort of work out.
Spoiler

thumbnails and some dude with a crown
Spoiler

Was drawing classmates from a writing course i'm visiting. I've been lazy with life drawing and urban sketching. Must continue

Offline Coryn

• Director of the MR Science Division
  • Global Moderator
  • Secretly a 13 year old girl.
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: July 06, 2018, 09:07:15 AM »
The burn out is real. You should do some research into "differences of kind". Basically, doing the same thing in a lot of different ways. Keeps the mind fresh and not bored.

Will review stories upon request. My latest arc: http://goo.gl/KYgsfF

Offline MahluaandMilk

• Resident Witchipedia
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: July 06, 2018, 02:04:42 PM »
That's still more art than I've done in the past month, man. I hope that I can pick back up soon. I hate burning paper, though, so it might be expected that I'll have pages scribbled all over with black and blue ink and maybe a couple different colored pencils. I've done it before. It looks like a hot mess to others, but it usually looks fine to me because I know what I'm doing, at least.
Haha signature go brr.

Offline legomaestro

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: July 06, 2018, 04:57:43 PM »
I think I saw a smidgin of that chaotic scribbling of yours somewhere. Working with many colours is pretty cool. I need to try coloured pencils again at a point.

Haha like I said way back when consistency is more of my interest, and I haven't been consistent. Daaaaamn I keep on falling into the trap of waiting for inspiration.

@Coryn I actually have an idea for that domo.

Also Mahlua thanks for introducing me to her. Still stuck on one song by her lel.