August 18, 2019, 01:30:14 PM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: Miscellaneous Arts and Sketchbook  (Read 62167 times)

Offline MahluaandMilk

• King of Lurking Losers / Fanservice with Legs
  • Resident Witchipedia
    • View Profile
Re: Miscellaneous Arts and Sketchbook
« Reply #555 on: July 19, 2018, 06:00:34 PM »
Most of my stuff was like random dancing and stuff so I focused a lot more on cleaner animation but yeah I grew up on the days of stick figures on crack, just before asdf. There was an entire website dedicated to stick figure games that I seem to remember, and boy were they all fantastic.

Offline suuper-san

• I have no idea what I am doing XD
    • View Profile
« Reply #556 on: July 21, 2018, 12:48:16 PM »
ahhhh Pivot, good times. I actually got my dad doing that for a while too.
I was inspired by the "animator vs animation" youtube animations that went popular years ago.
good progress on the drawings :)

for drawing your right hand, just swap pen hands for a split second, pose and look, then go back and draw. Thats probably easier and faster than collecting reference that you are going to like and use. I do that a lot of the time. An artist is their own best reference, as is anything within their grasp or eyesight. I need more of my own themed pose and clothing reference, but don't fancy getting my family to take photos :P

or draw with your left, which isn't as bad as you would think after a day or two of getting used to it.
Art: Manga / Fanart / Requests (closed) / Other | Manga Stories: Overdrive / Endlessness
Other: Tutorials / Craft | Feedback & Critique Welcome!!

Offline legomaestro

• High Chancellor of Righteousness
  • Global Moderator
  • real life has wack graphics
    • View Profile
« Reply #557 on: August 15, 2018, 11:05:29 PM »
Lel 'Just be ambidextrous' You say. I think I'll also just go learn the B chord on the guitar and do that spinning B-Boy thing on a whim lel.

No, actually I did want to try training my left hand at a point, but that'll definitely have to be later down the line after these regimens are out of the way. I'm really interested in handwriting too. Any chance you've been levelling that up too, suuper?

Dude. You convinced your dad to do pivot? Impressivu!!! And yeah I totally watched animator vs animation too, after xiao xiao. Man that phase was epic. I was in love with stick animation man. It was so cool. There was a really nifty horror series that I followed that always sticks with me too. I'll need to dig it up at a point. If you have any Pivot animations, I'd love to check them out.

Anyhow, I've been at this hand drawing thing... I've totally neglected everything else, and at my most optimistic calculations it'll take the better part of a year to be done with only ONE of the regimens. Good stuff. I'm actually excited at the concept.  I swear if I ever hit 1,000 hands I'll never bother learning them again. I'll just be fine.

They're strangely therapeutic to draw, and they're also the ultimate accusation: I seriously have a lot more time in my day than I think. I mean dude days are LONG. My obligations feel like they last a million years and take everything, but even in 5 minutes while waiting for a bus or sitting at a table before a class starts or something I can draw 2 hands at least. Sounds miniscule but I otherwise cheerfully waste such moments without a second thought. I wish I were more disciplined.

Yadayadayada. A million thoughts. Anyhow, I'm at 191 Hands (Sorry if images are out of order I tried to scan and link correctly but meh.)

Disclaimer: Some scrolling
Spoiler

Offline Coryn

• Director of the MR Science Division
  • Global Moderator
  • Secretly a 13 year old girl.
    • View Profile
« Reply #558 on: August 15, 2018, 11:08:45 PM »
You got some seriously good hands in there dude! Yeah I think if you spend a year straight drawing hands you can probably cool it on actually practicing them ever again.

It's those little moments that add up. With writing and art you're so surprised how much time you can pull out of a day.

Will review stories upon request. My latest arc: http://goo.gl/KYgsfF

Offline suuper-san

• View Profile
« Reply #559 on: August 16, 2018, 09:46:39 AM »
awesome! It looks like halfway through you improved quite a bit. After a few 100 thats sure to jump up again and again. I can't imagine what sort of improvement you will get by the end of it. Don't forget to do drawings from imagination and memory in between, if you aren't already, to make sure your brain gets the idea.

I haven't drawn my own hands properly for ages. I normally glance at the pose if i get stuck on one and then draw from memory anyway. Maybe because I'm going for hard to see poses that I can't properly look at without twisting my wrist and neck to see it :P One day I'm going to take a bunch of photos of my own hands for reference.

Yeah I think if you spend a year straight drawing hands you can probably cool it on actually practicing them ever again.
yep I second this :P

Do you keep a stockpile of all that paper? It would make a great photo one day. I certainly have more than I care for :P
Art: Manga / Fanart / Requests (closed) / Other | Manga Stories: Overdrive / Endlessness

Offline Coryn

• Director of the MR Science Division
  • Global Moderator
  • Secretly a 13 year old girl.
    • View Profile
« Reply #560 on: August 16, 2018, 12:18:42 PM »
Sounds like you could benefit from putting up a full length mirror Suuper.

Will review stories upon request. My latest arc: http://goo.gl/KYgsfF

Offline suuper-san

• View Profile
« Reply #561 on: August 16, 2018, 01:39:35 PM »
ikr, that not a bad idea at least to have a small one on my desk for things like that. often the hand pose I want is not one from my own point of view, so more often than not I end up with a pain one way or the other. I have occasionally tried to turn my webcam on but it never worked well enough to bother doing it half the time. I'll be redecorating my room any time soon so I might think about where a mirror could go and other stuff.

Offline legomaestro

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #562 on: August 16, 2018, 05:41:46 PM »
I could do with a small mirror by my desk at a point. For now I'm just trying to keep the steps required to get to drawing at a minimum to avoid slacking off too much.

And yeaup I stockpile way too much paper. I still have my stuff from all the cubes excercises too stashed away. It's always interesting to see how much I burned through (but there's still so much to do.)

Offline Coach Fro

• Head Coach and Founder of The MR Fighters Division
  • Coach by day, Gravedigger by night...
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: August 16, 2018, 08:32:26 PM »
Yo some of those hands look so damn realistic. You're right dude, by the time you reach one thousand you'll have it already mastered. Good stuff indeed, Lego! 
Messatsu...

Offline legomaestro

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #564 on: August 21, 2018, 06:25:36 AM »
Not mastered, just not-guilty anymore for doing them anymore haha.

Spoiler

Offline suuper-san

• View Profile
« Reply #565 on: August 22, 2018, 02:16:49 AM »
well done!
these are starting to look more realistic and I'll tell you why - because you are controlling your lines better and when you draw the segments for the fingers, you are not exaggerating the curves as you did on the first few batches, they are just very fine curves that almost look like straight lines. I was actually going to mention that as a suggestion but it looks like your observation is on point.
overall the hands look really balanced so they are some really good poses. keep it up!!
maybe in some instances your shading is a tad too sketchy and looks messy, try and take your time even with that and they will look better still. even an extra 20-30 seconds per sketch is enough to add the shading more controlled.
1/4 of the way done with hands so far :P

also you're drawing the hands really large per page, which is great as you can add more detail when working at a larger scale. thats really good practice for when you work with digital more in the future.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2018, 02:20:31 AM by suupertramp »

Offline legomaestro

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #566 on: August 22, 2018, 05:54:44 PM »
Large canvas is an advantage to digital art I never capitalize on, so I'll keep at in mind. As for the lines I really like the pen I'm using so it encourages that sort of thing.

The shading is always more of a whim though, I'm unfortunately mind-numbingly bored during some of the hands, but the output is reliable enough at least. I hope to work on shading at a point, it's a major and only factor in being able to fake the dimensionality of objects on a page.

Spoiler

Offline suuper-san

• View Profile
« Reply #567 on: August 22, 2018, 06:53:39 PM »
Large canvas is an advantage to digital art
100% True, although I meant more using all the screen space regardless of canvas size. so when drawing a character, zoom in for the face/hands and use all your screen space to improve accuracy, rather than drawing this tiny hand in a stamp-sized portion of your screen. Like even though you can see every pixel, you wouldn't do pixel art without zooming in right?

The shading is always more of a whim though,
I figured as much. my sketches vary in shading style and effort a lot as well. You can focus on that later on its own (which is also what I plan to do)

it's a major and only factor in being able to fake the dimensionality of objects on a page.
That is indeed the harsh reality, but as you say, its the (almost) only factor, which makes it somewhat easier to tackle.

and good sketches. I especially like the ones you did with the fatter marker pens.

Offline Echo_River

• Mild Observer
  • Need Chips
    • View Profile
« Reply #568 on: August 22, 2018, 10:17:19 PM »
O: Good work going on here Lego! Your persistence with the pen makes me impressed as always.
Thumbs-up on the hatching ^^
No one is perfect . . . that's why there's erasers and extra paper.
DA: http://neysun.deviantart.com
IG: https://www.instagram.com/neysun_hao/
SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/star-lock

Offline legomaestro

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #569 on: August 24, 2018, 10:24:49 PM »