March 29, 2024, 12:44:21 AM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: Elements of a Manga  (Read 3143 times)

Offline legomaestro

• High Chancellor of Righteousness
  • Global Moderator
  • real life has wack graphics
    • View Profile
Elements of a Manga
« on: December 15, 2009, 03:45:41 AM »
So over my introduction to manga and anime, i couldn't help but notice some elements that really inspire and assist my writing. I jotted them down, and so here they are. What does everyone think? Does anyone have more elements they noticed?

Most elements relate to battles/fight scenes

- There is lots of dialogue + poetry. Dialogue is used a lot to simplify descriptions.

- Plenty of explainations and descriptions [My power does this, this and that. The History of a land... e.t.c]

- No one fighter within a battle maintains a constant advantage in a fight [How many times have we seen the hero boast 'this will be over quick' and then get beaten half to death?]

- Professional fighters usually underestimate the other [Something relating to the previous point.] I don't know if this is a major element, but still. It happens too much to be ignored.

- Everyone has different tactics. Its an almost duh thing, but maybe you'll get what i mean.

- There is a clear RPG level up system whereby as the story develops the enemies become even tougher and even more out of reach than before. [I thought Ichigo would butcher Byakuya, then i thought he'd murder Uluqiorra, then the arrancars but man oh man was i wrong. It was a struggle]

- Every character has a past. Duh? Not really, i think quite a few stories suffer from characters who have unfounded ideals. There are many flash backs in Manga/Anime, as i am aware everyone knows. Some even stretch throughout entire chapters. The past is important within an Anime/Manga

Yep, and thats where i'm dry on elements of Manga/Anime i noticed.

Oh yeah, one more element: Manga/Anime are fun.

Offline michikotenjou

• Shoujo Manga Dreamer
    • View Profile
Re: Elements of a Manga
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2011, 01:47:06 PM »
I was about to start a topic about manga elements but I tried searching first and eventually ended up in this thread ^__^

(and I was quite alarmed when I saw this before posting: Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 565 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic. )

Anyway...

I've written about this on my blog and I just want to share my thoughts. I find sleep wears as an interesting element in portraying anime/manga characters. Not all manga/anime titles have characters putting their sleep wear on but it's just, for some I noticed that sleep wears also contribute to a character's personality.

For example if a character wears a pink pajama, it's like you get a sense of girlyness from that character. Or another thing is when a character wears a negligee, it's like her femininity and elegance is emphasized. Another example is when a character wears a loose shirt when going to sleep, you'll notice that she's someone who loves free movement and hates constraints.

In a way, sleep wears are like costumes in a play that helps characters have their individuality.

Offline legomaestro

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2011, 01:53:49 PM »
Wow i wrote this?  o.o
Blast from the past!!!!!!
Moreover i'm impressed you actually did that. kudos for being careful before posting.

Hm you know what? That's actually a very interesting point. It makes a lot of sense.

Guess i should be keeping an eye on your blog

Offline Coryn

• Director of the MR Science Division
  • Global Moderator
  • Secretly a 13 year old girl.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2011, 02:38:50 PM »
yeah. sleep. that's one thing that a lot of stories kinda just ignore. that and eating.

another big thing to be aware of is that people change clothes. so many stories out there were people where the same outfit day in and day out. i kinda break this rule to a degree but the circumstances of my story are a bit different.

Will review stories upon request. My latest arc: http://goo.gl/KYgsfF

Offline legomaestro

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2011, 02:52:59 PM »
mmh yeah that's true. Can't think of any of mine that needed changing clothes, but i definately skipped through sleeping and eating. Now that i think of it those would have really helped in slowing down the story.

I remember Chimera and Arcane Judgement have eating scenes, i remember they are both very easily visualized.

Even yours had some eating and sleeping scenes. I guess there's proof than it's a manga/anime element.

Offline Coryn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2011, 03:16:46 PM »
yeah. i did make sure to cover sleeping. though it only happened a few times since my arcs happen over the course of 2-3 days. eating was more of a challenge since i kinda forgot to add it in once or twice. but that got corrected eventually.

Offline legomaestro

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2011, 03:23:05 PM »
Mhm. I remember Coryn boiling the water for noodles on that skycraper. For some reason or the other it was one of the enix manipulations that stuck in my head.

Offline Coryn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2011, 03:48:13 PM »
hey. whatever works. i was quite proud of that one actually. heating up the molecules to make ramen.

Offline pumpkin13

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2011, 03:40:28 PM »
This is a really good source for suggestions and ideas with regards to the Shounen genre in particular.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/SoYouWantTo/WriteAShonenSeries

So much good stuff in here.

I wish they had one for Seinen.

Offline Coryn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2011, 03:50:52 PM »
i feel like i kinda said "F*CK YOU!!!" to like half of these troupes without even realizing it way back when i started writing

Offline legomaestro

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2011, 02:20:33 PM »
I'm sort of on bad terms again with wikitroupes so i won't click on that link... >...<