December 13, 2018, 08:32:56 PM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: Bulles d'Aire 2009  (Read 4399 times)

Offline Corycaly

• I'm the French yeti: often heard of but rarely seen.
  • Administrator
  • Life is a giant primary school playground.
    • View Profile
    • Corycaly's blog
Re: Bulles d'Aire 2009
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2009, 03:20:32 PM »
The festival was taking place in my town: there were authors , scenarists, drawers and colorists, the ideal to discover more about the making of a comics.

the birth of a project
I first met the author of Leo, Rugby passion, Fennec. We talked together about the links between authors and animation. The comics project was ordered by the rugby federation for the world cup: it had a very detailed order. After the world cup, the author took the project in his hands and changed some things like the design and scenario: he is now the responsable of the project.

Links between author and editor
It can vary a lot: it happens that editors contact an author either because he has already worked with him or her or because he has discovered a new talent.
Same for authors: they can send a project to an editor and be employed, or they can have special orders.
The editor has many roles: he validates, orders, can stop a project. Usually, there is one contract by book: it means that the editor is free to stop the comics after a volume.  It happens that an author can get a contract for 2 or 3 books: the editor HAS to publish the said books either he wants it or not.
Since the contracts concern one book, an author can work for several editors in the same time.
The editor is usually responsable for the comics tornaments/prices: he sends a list of his books to enter the competitions. It means it's not the competition responsables who do it: the editors choose who will enter what competition. It happens that a comics gets an award thans to it...and the author didn't even know his project was on competition. The communication of this stuff between editors and authors seems lacunar...same for the international sell results: the author often doesn't know what happens of his projects in other countries.

author colorist
It happens that a drawer artist doesn't have the time to color the project: a colorist is choosen by the editor (or imposed). A colorist can work on 7 projects at the same time: it needs organisation and technics.  The main advice is to not look back on details or else you'll lose amounts of time. A colorist can decide to stop a project: up the authors and editors to find a solution.
The time spend on a page can vary from some hours to two days on a special page.

scenarist
a scenarist usually works on several projects on the same time. It needs organisation: it's simple to work with an agenda. Example: from 9h to 12, I work on project one, frpĆ¹ 14h to 15h on project two etc
It's important to vary the scenarios theme to erase any boredom. The important is to have fun! Sources of inspiration can be: old movies, old books, mythology, dreams etc
It's possible for a scenarist to stop a project and to give it to another author.

animation comics
It's usually the editor who contacts the animation studios and rarely the contrary. The process is very slow: it takes usually 4 or 5 years to make it!
It can be complicated: a comics was first refused because the design was too frenchie and couldn't be sold internationaly while another project was refused because it was too "manga". The authors are often sceptic because they are worried about the quality of the animation. This question is very important because it can have huge consequences on a carreer: good when the anime becomes famous and bad if the public associates a bad anime with the original books.

technics
line art handmade: pencil 0.3! I have seen line art hand made which ahd awesome details! I asked him if he had special glasses lol
The choice of the stuff is IMPORTANT: choice faber castel or pentel pencils because other brands tend to break easily: impossible to make details with them!
colors with pc: painter is ideal to make watercolor technics. Manga studio can be used for digital line art.

AND finally: how to become a pro?
Surprise: only 1 on 20 artist have made art studies!!!
The majority has discovered art lately, or as a hobby.
The majority began with fanzines: ideal to begin and to get advice.
Two ways to get contacted by editors: either they find you thanks to fanzines experiences or websites, either you can send projects to them. It doens't matter if the first ones are refused: the important is that the editor discovers you and know your name.
Patience patience!

Offline AnimeDoodler

• Life's a pencil and someone is chewing my eraser..
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2009, 09:20:28 PM »
o.o...awesome!

Offline SaiHawkeye

• Producer-san
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2009, 09:22:10 PM »
I already knew most of that information. T_T   lol
I'm back~~~