April 03, 2020, 06:52:13 PM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: Discussion - Character creation  (Read 17154 times)

Offline legomaestro

• High Chancellor of Righteousness
  • Global Moderator
  • real life has wack graphics
    • View Profile
Re: Discussion - Character creation
« Reply #90 on: November 03, 2012, 07:14:42 PM »
Haha, i see. Have you figured out who their parents were? And who exactly do they assasinate if i may ask?

Offline everlastin01

• Learning/attempting writer
  • Working on story and practing things
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: November 05, 2012, 02:55:16 PM »
You only know who the father of the guy is lego
.......DOTS....... is in the developing story thing
(so if you want to know more about some of the characters please ask me there)
Coryn's assistant

and Rouge Student (Galactic Raiders)

Offline legomaestro

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: January 19, 2013, 06:04:24 PM »
This is both self-interest and story influenced interest:

Why do bullies and etc. (all those kinds of people) stay in school anyways? You know the type, the drug dealing, knife toting kind who hang around school for some reason (mostly i'm referring to the ones in less prestigeous schools). Aren't they supposed to not care about grades or whatever in any sort of way? Any idea what goes through their heads?

Offline h_musick

• Lurking...
  • Global Moderator
  • Troll-patrol
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 19, 2013, 08:07:24 PM »
I guess cause they like the drama of that kind of life and thateir costomers are? lol's where it is... at school. Or maybe that's where their costomers are? lol!
http://forums.mangaraiders.com/index.php/topic,8367.0.html

"Artists who seek perfection in everything are those who cannot attain it in anything."
- Gustave Flaubert

Offline legomaestro

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 19, 2013, 08:36:49 PM »
Hm i'm not sure, i mean they're even scared of the principals and stuff right? It makes no sense to me.

Offline Takeo

• That One Asian DJ
  • Yo! What's Happenin'?
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: March 28, 2013, 03:49:45 AM »
As far as Main Characters go, this template is in-depth, detailed, but covers pretty much everything for a main character. I like it. I wouldn't use it for minor characters, but I'll definitely use it as a means to coming up with a full main character. It has the depth and detail that I knew I needed, and more than I realized that I needed that I didn't use before.

Very useful indeed.

Offline everlastin01

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: June 11, 2013, 06:59:20 PM »
Any character I create I go into depth with, if I don't know the character I won't know what they are like even if they are minor characters. That is just me everyone is different.
Coryn's assistant

Offline Khaliisto

• The pen is mightier than the sword, but not an axe
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: October 04, 2013, 06:01:28 AM »
When I'm creating characters, I usually start by thinking of a very over-generalized way to describe them, usually one adjective. Then I think of a person I know or have met/heard of, who is a real person, and try to delve into that persons psyche, and try to imagine what it would be like if i dramatized or fantasized, usually from a very metaphorical and removed standpoint, their personality.

Example: In my project, I very loosely based one of my main characters off of myself, but from other people's viewpoints. I am always told I look miserable. When people say I look miserable, I actually have no emotion on my face. When I'm miserable, no one says anything when they see my face lol. But I over-dramatized that by making my character completely catatonic and emotionless to the outside. It plays very easily into deep and personal story aspects, but works just as well comically. When everyone is freaking out or scared, or really any extreme comic emotion, his expressions never change. Also, any time he speaks or says anything, it carries a lot of weight, both comically and seriously, because it's unusual for him to do so. That's one aspect of my personality, viewed from a pretty standard perspective of myself.

My roommate was the base for the other character. He's obnoxious when he jokes, lifts weights far beyond any realistic application, and is a complete, unashamed dog around women. Let's face it, I barely have to alter anything to make a character out of him. But I did purposely choose to move that character further away from the actual personality of my roommate, to allow for my personal touch and creativity.

My long-winded point is, I love stories with a lot of characters (except when they're all introduced too quickly, or when there's so many that no-one gets much character or depth), and when you repeatedly create characters, even with templates, you find after a while that they all have recognizable mechanisms and traits/quirks that start to make it very obvious that one person created all of these personalities; you begin to see that they all borrow from the same orign.

I find basing them very loosely off of real-life people, however insignificant or un-renown , helps to give a nice organic feel to the characters at their base, and really helps to make them individual. Thanks to anybody who stuck it out and read this needlessly long reply.
"Bread is the paper of the restaurant industry. You write your sandwich on it."-Dwight K. Schrute, Assistant to the Regional Manager.

Offline everlastin01

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: November 01, 2013, 05:10:09 PM »
@ Khaliisto: it is a good idea to study people and see how they are in society and create characters from real things but you also have to have something that isn't...well real...one of my characters (oddly enough) has the eye sight of a eagle and the ferociousness of a wolf....(not sure if I got my point explained the best way)
Coryn's assistant

Offline 50 Words for Paipis

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: July 02, 2014, 01:56:49 PM »
I've been experimenting with making web diagrams detailing what particular characters mean to one another. It helps me figure out the main theme-struggle of the character. For instance, if Johnny likes Martha who is dating Lionel, lives in the suburbs with supporting parents, but is dissatisfied with his circumstances: Johnny— Martha (who he believes will satisfy him), Johnny— Lionel (who he believes keeps him from that satisfaction), Johnny— suburban life/supporting parents (which he believes isn't enough to satisfy him). It's clear now that his theme is satisfaction vs. dissatisfaction which forms the backbone of his character. More detail is needed, to be sure, but having the theme of the character helps the story along, for me at least.

Offline Lumaria

• Editor Group
  • Someone who will tell you what you need to hear
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: July 02, 2014, 07:25:26 PM »

When i create characters, i put myself in their shoes, create their qualities and their falws, and how much of it they share. and this usually influences the type of narrative or if this character needs another character to show these off.

When i create multiple, i put myself in their shows and see if they connect or dont. this helps me with moving the series forward.
Stop playing victim....you know what you did.

Offline Coryn

• Director of the MR Science Division
  • Global Moderator
  • Secretly a 13 year old girl.
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: July 03, 2014, 02:08:11 AM »
sometimes I like to take a character I've created and do a little thought experiment called "when will you break"

basically, i think about how far a character could be pushed before they collapsed into a sniveling pile of fear and self-disgust. and if possible, what that circumstance would be.

not that i'm sadistic or anything, and not that i have the intent to ever destroy a character that i run through this experiment, but it is an interesting frame to draw around a character so to speak. It's like saying "this is your bubble. everything inside the bubble is kosher, everything outside will destroy you"

it's sorta like a venn diagram. (paipis' post made me think of mentioning this)

Will review stories upon request. My latest arc: http://goo.gl/KYgsfF

Offline MahluaandMilk

• King of Lurking Losers / Fanservice with Legs
  • Resident Witchipedia
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: July 03, 2014, 03:09:25 AM »
That's a nice list, I think. Like a few other people mentioned here, sometimes my characters just kind of..happen. Mostly because I have sleeping problems, my mind continuously wanders at night, so at some point in my childhood I used that to create stories in my head to help me fall asleep. Story creation can last from one little idea a night to a story spanning over a week or so of thinking. Either way I return to those ideas and draw up characters based on them, and even from there characters continuously evolve without me even noticing with time because so many of those stories intertwine and so on and so forth. They grow on me kind of like children.
I will be copying and pasting that list into a document to keep track of my characters better, though. ;)

Offline everlastin01

• View Profile
« Reply #103 on: July 03, 2014, 03:13:48 AM »
I think it is fun having to make a character that is completely opposite of you. For example I am a tomboy and I have a harder time trying to create prissy girly girls. So I watch drama shows (gag me) so understand them better. It is really useful...TV.
Coryn's assistant

Offline Coryn

• Director of the MR Science Division
  • Global Moderator
  • Secretly a 13 year old girl.
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: July 03, 2014, 11:45:21 AM »
not being able to sleep is how i come up with most of my material. which is good since coming up with scenes and figuring out how your character would react is integral to developing them. sometimes it's easy. sometimes you hit a brick wall.

in that case i might bring out my continuity of thought technique (patent pending).

basically i open up a blank word document, and then type literally everything that comes to mind as i puzzle out what should be going on. lot's of random stuff and lot's of ellipses, but it does tend to produce results.

on a related note, you never really realize how crowded your thought  process is until you see it on paper.

Will review stories upon request. My latest arc: http://goo.gl/KYgsfF