October 14, 2019, 12:06:19 AM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: Discussion - Character creation  (Read 16474 times)

Offline 50 Words for Paipis

• View Profile
Re: Discussion - Character creation
« Reply #120 on: July 03, 2014, 09:30:24 PM »
I for the life of me, cannot use diagrams. i can't make measurements of these characters and see how they play out.

I really envision characters as a science more than math. So i usually imagine characters with specific qualities and faults and match them up between the two to see what kind of reaction i get.

I dont literally imagine them as chemicals, but i treat them as such. meaning i wont know what i get until i see the two interacting.
Normally, I do the planning (diagrams, character descriptions, outlines) after I've written the first draft (as prose). I splatter ink, so to speak, and try to make sense of it. I need to know exactly what I'm doing before I start a script, whether that comes through writing several prose drafts or making diagrams.

Offline NO1SY

• Bartender for the MR Pub's Happy Hour!
  • Life is LOUD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: July 03, 2014, 10:25:49 PM »
I dont literally imagine them as chemicals, but i treat them as such. meaning i wont know what i get until i see the two interacting.

I like this analogy :) But you kinda have to do a trial run of how you think they will interact when you write your draft and then go back and make amends if it doesn't work out. Which I guess is still in keeping with the "Experimental Chemistry".

And I'm sure everyone has there own way of successfully creating characters. It's like that "Learning to learn" thing they used to push in schools - some people are visual, some people are logical etc.

Personally I create characters in two ways:
1) I have a plot idea, and then come up with characters that fit the story I am writing/fulfil roles. The characters come after the planning and the outlining and are defined within the world I have come up with.

2) I have a character idea. Sometimes I just think up a character in my head, one that isn't part of any of my stories and won't fit into them. When I get several of these, sometimes a few work well together and I can make a new story and a plot built around them. It's tough to do and more often than not I end up scrapping the plots because of incongruences, but I have gotten about 3 good ones out of it so far.

I really like to flesh out all of my characters though, and I do this as much as possible before I full-on write up my story (But usually after initial planning). I use mind-maps A LOT, which seems to work well enough for me, and profile all my characters as thoroughly as I can, going to town just imagining what the character is like in every way I can down to accents and other small details. This way I am able to work out what my characters are like how they act and how they fit in, and for me it makes giving them realistic interactions with others and the world easier. I get that a lot of character personality comes from interactions with others though so not all of it can be planned out before writing, but I'm the kind of person that likes to have a good foundation to start with and to build on - I like to see where my character development is going to go rather than see what happens as I write.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2014, 10:39:46 PM by NO1SEY »

Offline Lumaria

• Editor Group
  • Someone who will tell you what you need to hear
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: July 04, 2014, 01:32:40 AM »
To me, i dont really have to write down anything....i just imagine the characters....and imagine the interaction. I know some people have to write it down, but i envision my story clear enough that i get to see what they would say.

It gets to the point where it looks like i'm talking to myself (in low tone) because i'm so rapped up by their conversation. it sounds like i have split personality but i dont.
Stop playing victim....you know what you did.

Offline NO1SY

• Bartender for the MR Pub's Happy Hour!
  • Life is LOUD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: July 04, 2014, 05:03:21 AM »
Hehehehehe it's good (if not slightly scary) that you get that into writing your characters :)

I think being able to understand your characters well, whether you write them down or not, is very important, because if you don't know something about them, or why they are doing something, then the readers won't do either.

Offline Crackhead Johny

• View Profile
« Reply #124 on: November 08, 2014, 04:38:47 PM »
My little bro was saying that he couldn't LARP as he needed new char. Same as the last few weeks.

No idea how this is rough. I instantly gave him "Uncle Billy"purveyor of untrustworthy goods. Some lulz should be had.

I just do not get how it takes people a significant amount of time to make a person.