July 22, 2018, 10:08:49 PM

------------------------------------------

If you have Login Problems Use the Login in Top Menu Bar

------------------------------------------
If you have a problem registering here, Leave a msg at our FB Page >> Here.

Plz Don't use Hotmail to Register. You might not receive Activation mail. Use Other free mail provider like Gmail or Yahoo.

Author Topic: Your opinion on drawing manga BOOKS  (Read 2895 times)

Offline Citae

• View Profile
Your opinion on drawing manga BOOKS
« on: October 26, 2009, 02:29:34 PM »
We see them online and in the bookstores. How to draw manga by (insert author here).

I like the ones by Hikaru Hayashi and others from the How to draw manga series but I used them mostly as references.

Christopher Hart's books, I tend to shy away from his drawing manga books (but they are useful). I am a big fan of his comic drawing books as they help a lot! Also his way of simplyfing anatomy (such as his book called: Figure it out!)

Ben Dunn is amazing, he brings the world of anime and manga to the West.

The reason why I like the drawing comic books is because they explain a lot IN detail more than the How to draw manga books. Hart's simplified anatomy book helped me a lot. The how to draw manga books from Japan, I find often do not go into detail and assume  that you know the stuff.

So, what are your opinions everyone?

Offline SaiHawkeye

• Producer-san
    • View Profile
Re: Your opinion on drawing manga BOOKS
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2009, 02:40:37 PM »
I like the How to Draw Manga series as well and like you, I used them mostly as reference. They're great for building up ideas but not for the beginning artist. Personally, How to Draw books aren't as good as having someone teach you in person but the new modern media of videos is very helpful. =)
I'm back~~~

Offline Coryn

• Director of the MR Science Division
  • Global Moderator
  • Secretly a 13 year old girl.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2009, 03:31:57 PM »
i think they're a fine institution XD

but seriously they certainly seem to help people. ive never had a enough patience to use them though. thats why im a writer :P

Will review stories upon request. My latest arc: http://goo.gl/KYgsfF

Offline AnimeDoodler

• Life's a pencil and someone is chewing my eraser..
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2009, 03:45:20 PM »
Honestly, I avoid books as much as possible (for drawing that is) and focus more on a wide variety of anime and manga, as they show all the different styles to offer and I personally learn better if I'm bombarded with inspiration while a sketchbook is in my lap. However, I did have enjoyable experiences with the Complete Idiot's Guide to Manga. A very simple book that gives you the basics of anatomy, etc. and helps you derive your own style ^^

Offline Fallen Kite

• Fallen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2009, 04:15:16 PM »
Yay, for Hart  :D Really loved his Chibi 'n' Fur how to draw... Though I mostly looked at the drawings. I agree with Sai, that it might not be easy to just start off with  :)
Work in progress: Everything.
Alternative title: Nothing.

Offline Mr_Chimp

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2009, 06:03:26 PM »
i would say youtube has helped me more than how to books as they show the whole process unlike books that only have about 5 steps to follow

Offline Robs_ugly_artwork

• Here one second, gone the next... *poof* Ninja vanish
  • Planting the Seeds of Destruction...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2009, 08:39:39 PM »
i have about 6 of those "How to draw Manga" books..

IMO: the books didn't actually "teach" me how to draw.. they more or less explained to me why certain things are drawn a certain way.. and even then, the books don't really go to far in depth with that.. which is very unfortunate  :Embarrassed:.. needless to say, this particular How to draw Manga book series is not for beginners.. well, now days i mostly use the books that i have, for reference and to brush up my skills, if I'm having a hard time with my drawings..

all in all.. even though i wouldn't recommend this series.. i would still buy them for my own use.. every lil' bit of help counts  8)

My take on "Internet tutorial vids":
i personally have learned alot from watching these vids.. watching someone draw a pic in real time is like nothing else to me.. i guess I'm a lead by example kind of guy.. and the examples in some of these vids are really great. IE: Mark Crilley's work..

Manga Raiders: this site actually helped me out the most.. the constructive criticism.. and the advice from fellow members was the key from taking my art from stickmen to not so "ugly artwork" lol .. thanks dudes and dudettes  8)

But, what/who actually "taught" me how to draw?
you have to just do it, really.. you can't learn, just by reading a book or by simply watching a video.. you have to practice, practice, practice and do it yourself.. period. that's probably the best advice i can give to anyone who wants to draw.  ;)

-Rob
Judge a person NOT by their weakness.. but, by their strength.

Offline Akiba66

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2009, 01:32:05 AM »
I only have one "How to Draw Manga" book by Ben Dunn. I've tried my hand at drawing but I have very little patience with myself so I draw probably once a month before I get frustrated then stop and pick it up again. I've been going through this process over the course of 3-4 fours using the book as a reference. Its helped and I've come pretty from from what I used to conjure up though I still am not at the skill level that I would prefer to be at. So in a nutshell the book did kinda help but I kinda put drawing on the back burner and have been focusing mainly on writing. So imo they help but it really depends on you.

Offline Citae

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2009, 03:42:20 PM »
Honestly, I avoid books as much as possible (for drawing that is) and focus more on a wide variety of anime and manga, as they show all the different styles to offer and I personally learn better if I'm bombarded with inspiration while a sketchbook is in my lap. However, I did have enjoyable experiences with the Complete Idiot's Guide to Manga. A very simple book that gives you the basics of anatomy, etc. and helps you derive your own style ^^

I recently purchased a book on drawing manga that was aimed I think for kids. It goes over a lot like in perspective, basic anatomy. The anatomy part helped me a great lot! Especially how I can use wire frames as my foundations. Now I am sketching a variety of poses everyday!

I only own one copy of a HTDM book, and again, I only use it for reference such as if I need to see what a leg, foot, or abdomen looks like in a certain position.

@ Robs_ugly_artwork (gosh, I feel like I'm insulting you >_<")
- Certainly, by watching a video or reading a book wont help you get better. I realized this last year and I have been practicing A LOT over the summer and I have seem MAJOR improvements from my previous drawings. I'm not an expert, but at least I am making progress.

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2009, 08:29:54 PM »
@ Robs_ugly_artwork (gosh, I feel like I'm insulting you >_<")
- Certainly, by watching a video or reading a book wont help you get better. I realized this last year and I have been practicing A LOT over the summer and I have seem MAJOR improvements from my previous drawings. I'm not an expert, but at least I am making progress.

i wasn't insulted in anyway shape or form Citae ;) .. you have asked for an "opinion" on the How to draw manga book series and that was my opinion, lol .. sorry, if i sounded um'.. well.. whatever it was, you thought i sounded like  :Embarrassed: hahaha IDK .. i apologize anyways..

glad to see that you are improving with your artwork ;) .. maybe you could post some of it up so we can all drool over it  :naughty: hehehe

-Rob

Offline Tzefa

• Spero Meliora
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2009, 08:36:03 PM »
I do believe he felt like he was insulting you by saying your full username rob  :D
Rarely sighted apparent pixel artist

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2009, 08:42:48 PM »
I do believe he felt like he was insulting you by saying your full username rob  :D

oh .. well that makes sense *slaps own forehead* doh!!! .. still, no offense taken lolz